Minecraft

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Cylus Maxii

Re: Minecraft

Post by Cylus Maxii »

The Meal wrote:Having given up on Civ6 for a bit, I'm back to playing Minecraft. Alas, but I'm doing the Project Ozone 2 mod pack. I'd be interested in playing this on a server, but it sounds like I'm the only OOer playing these mods.
I've been playing SkyFactory 2.x (and recently some 3.x) - many of the mods are the same, and its also a skyblock type pack. I might be interested. What world type are you using with Project Ozone? (Skyblock, Skylands..) What difficulty mode are you doing?
Last edited by Cylus Maxii on Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I'm watching a skyblock Let's Play (on Kappa Mode), but coming back to Minecraft after about a year off, I'm playing on a simple run-of-the-mill world on standard mode. Figure I could play skyblock from here if I really wanted. :)
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

SkyFactory 3 is based on MC 1.10 and has some of the newer mods. Some of the older ones have gone away. I like the feel and mod blend from what little I've played so far. I haven't played with it to see if I could generate a Skylands map - that might be the best way to go for Multiplayer. I know there are also ways to spawn each player their own starting island if the World Type was Garden of Glass. I don't know if any of the other possible players would be into a modded server with Skyblock or Skylands.

Project Ozone is also intriguing - though having a limited number of lives doesn't seem to match well with a casual MP server.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Cylus Maxii wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:I have set up a new private OO server on my Raspberry Pi. i will send details to people interested - you can also let me know if you want to join and i will send you the server address.
What version are you running? Is it vanilla or modded?
it's always up to date and always mod-free.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Cylus Maxii wrote:Project Ozone is also intriguing - though having a limited number of lives doesn't seem to match well with a casual MP server.
I don't think that's in the general installation. I've died at least 4 times without any visible consequence.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

hitbyambulance wrote:
Cylus Maxii wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:I have set up a new private OO server on my Raspberry Pi. i will send details to people interested - you can also let me know if you want to join and i will send you the server address.
What version are you running? Is it vanilla or modded?
it's always up to date and always mod-free.
That seems attractive! Hopefully I can get on this week. I want to fully explore vanilla with a couple QoL mods before moving on to mod packs.
Black Lives Matter
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

The Meal wrote:
Cylus Maxii wrote:Project Ozone is also intriguing - though having a limited number of lives doesn't seem to match well with a casual MP server.
I don't think that's in the general installation. I've died at least 4 times without any visible consequence.
Maybe I misunderstood. Does it have a limited number of life hearts (HP) until you get more via quests? I read somewhere about starting off with just three lives.. Maybe that's what they meant.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Cylus Maxii wrote:
The Meal wrote:
Maybe I misunderstood. Does it have a limited number of life hearts (HP) until you get more via quests? I read somewhere about starting off with just three lives.. Maybe that's what they meant.
The Lets Player I'm watching on Kappa mode only has 3 lives (though there are ways to get more along the way).
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

my Minecraft server will be getting an actual case:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131786067547
stessier

Post by stessier »

My daughter has Pocket Minecraft on her Fire tablet and a girl at school would like to play with her on the PC. A few questions -

1. Do I have to buy the PC version, or will the Pocket version talk to the PC version server?
2. If I do have to buy the PC version, is it available on Steam? All I see is an episode version which doesn't seem right.
3. What information do I have to ask the friend to provide so they can play in the same world?

Sorry for being a noob. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Klif

Post by Klif »

[redacted]
Last edited by Klif on Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

stessier wrote:My daughter has Pocket Minecraft on her Fire tablet and a girl at school would like to play with her on the PC. A few questions -

1. Do I have to buy the PC version, or will the Pocket version talk to the PC version server?
2. If I do have to buy the PC version, is it available on Steam? All I see is an episode version which doesn't seem right.
3. What information do I have to ask the friend to provide so they can play in the same world?

Sorry for being a noob. :)
Yes you can play Pocket Minecraft and Windows 10 Minecraft together. The PC version referenced is the JAVA PC version, which is the most popular but you can't play cross platform on that version. Windows 10 Minecraft is available from the Minecraft store. I think you have to also get a realm subscription ($4 for 2 people a month) but I could be wrong about that. The kinds of Minecraft mods that people talk about are not available on the Windows 10 edition. However I don't play with those except a couple of quality of life ones which I could live without.

The friend will need her Xbox Live ID for them to play together. If she doesn't have one, then she can get one from xbox.com, they are free.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Thanks for the answers - so I have to get and Xbox Live ID for my daughter and then get minecraft as well. I guess I should verify they are on Win10 as that is the version we will have to be using.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Klif

Post by Klif »

[redacted]
Klif

Post by Klif »

[redacted]
Klif

Post by Klif »

[redacted]
stessier

Post by stessier »

Klif wrote:
stessier wrote:Thanks for the answers - so I have to get and Xbox Live ID for my daughter and then get minecraft as well. I guess I should verify they are on Win10 as that is the version we will have to be using.
I'm not familiar with the windows 10 specific version. why not just get the regular minecraft that runs on any pc?
I guess I misunderstood what Lorini was saying. I thought since I was on Win10, that is what i had to run. So if I go to Minecraft and hit that big green button, I'd be good to go?

As for Xbox Live - that too was what Lorini mentioned. How will I connect with her friend again?
Klif

Post by Klif »

[redacted]
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My kids play on the LAN which is now easy. They have their own accounts for the PC java version. But it was a PITA until both computers were on the same network, sharing, etc.

Getting them playing on locked down PC accounts on Win10 is advisable. The only unfixable virus I ever caught was from a Minecraft mod.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Klif please stop with the misinformation. There is the traditional PC Java version. There is ALSO a Minecraft Pocket edition which runs on iOS, Android and Windows 10. THESE ARE DIFFERENT. The Minecraft Pocket edition is developed by Mojang for Microft. The Minecraft PC Java edition is completely under Mojang's control. Stessier wants cross platform play with the PC Pocket Edition. I told him how to get it. End of story. He shouldn't buy the Java edition for cross platform play.

Geez.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

stessier wrote:
Klif wrote:
stessier wrote:Thanks for the answers - so I have to get and Xbox Live ID for my daughter and then get minecraft as well. I guess I should verify they are on Win10 as that is the version we will have to be using.
I'm not familiar with the windows 10 specific version. why not just get the regular minecraft that runs on any pc?
I guess I misunderstood what Lorini was saying. I thought since I was on Win10, that is what i had to run. So if I go to Minecraft and hit that big green button, I'd be good to go?

As for Xbox Live - that too was what Lorini mentioned. How will I connect with her friend again?
I'll be blunt and say what he's telling you to do won't work for your situation. Please reread what I said, it's accurate.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Klif wrote:
and what's this about a Live ID?
Because of the Minecraft Pocket Edition her friend is using, you have to have an Xbox Live ID to multiplay.
Black Lives Matter
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

We don't know what the friend is using, That's the issue. Stessier Jr currently has the tablet version.
Klif

Post by Klif »

[redacted]
Last edited by Klif on Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Cylus Maxii wrote:We don't know what the friend is using, That's the issue. Stessier Jr currently has the tablet version.

On a Fire Tablet, only Minecraft PE is native. Amazon Fire Tablet runs its own proprietary operating system, so there's no way it runs the PC Java edition.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Klif wrote:well, apparently I'm an asshole. go fuck myself, amirite?
No, just be sure of your information :).
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

So just throwing this out there....there is a Minecraft alternative in early access available on Steam for free called Creativerse. I have been playing for the past couple of nights and so far it's seems pretty fun. The early game feels far more streamlined than Minecraft. The game also have cutesy animals which I imagine might appeal to young girls. Not endorsing the game per se, just saying it's out there and seems a fast and easy way to get two kids to be able to play together (if your daughters friend has access to a computer and Steam).
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

for Stessier's question, you can set up a server on your machine and have both children play in that world (setting your own parameters) with the Java or Win10 versions. you can run it on the same PC, but i run mine on a Raspberry Pi 3 with Spigot (an optimized Minecraft server). let me know if that sounds like an option and i'll go into more detail.

(the RPi3 works ok, but there are still lag spikes. next time, i'll get a faster single board computer - should've gone with the Hardkernel Odroid C-2.)
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Guys, this is his daughter's friend he's talking about. She has a Fire tablet. I guess there might be a way to somehow provide her a computer or even Raspberry Pi but that wouldn't seem very feasible to me.
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

Actually I believe Stessiers daughter has the tablet and the friend is on PC, which is why I made my suggestion as it sounded as if Stessier was looking for a Steam download....
My daughter has Pocket Minecraft on her Fire tablet and a girl at school would like to play with her on the PC. A few questions -
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Klif

Post by Klif »

[redacted]
Last edited by Klif on Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Has there been some hostility thrown your way Klif?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Went to play today and found an update that added a bunch of new stuff including a Recipe Book! Ahhh, how very sweet! Particularly funny because this weekend I got tired of always forgetting how to make stuff and started making my own using note cards and a three ring binder. Fortunately, only about 20 cards in, so not too much completely wasted work. :)
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Apparently the Java edition will no longer be the main edition (note you'll need to translate the page). Mojang has stated that going forward the new Win10/Xbox/Switch/ etc etc version will be where they focus their attention. I would think they could use the Java version for prototyping but eventually the other version will have more capability.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Lorini wrote:Apparently the Java edition will no longer be the main edition (note you'll need to translate the page). Mojang has stated that going forward the new Win10/Xbox/Switch/ etc etc version will be where they focus their attention.
ugh. stupid Microsoft.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Super Duper Graphics Pack coming to Cross realm platforms, so not including Java PC or PS4. It's tempting me, as getting a 4K monitor that's decent is more expensive than the Xbox One X that's running this. I've tried to install Optifine without success. They mention in the trailer that Optifine might be able to equal these graphics? Yea/Nay? (The trailer is 4 minutes long).
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So does that mean that in order to have updates, you'll need to buy a new copy?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Blackhawk wrote:So does that mean that in order to have updates, you'll need to buy a new copy?
I think the answer is 'depends'. If you have a copy of Java PC Minecraft, you (at least used to) get a free copy of Windows 10 version Minecraft. If you have a copy of Xbox One Minecraft, you get a free copy of the new Xbox One Minecraft. They will continue to update the PC Java version, but that version will no longer be the version of focus for them. People already don't update to the latest Java version anyway, so I'm not sure how much real impact these changes will be to the Java community. On the other hand, I'd think that community will not see the growth it's used to with the new stuff being much more marketed than the Java version will be.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Also I'll pay for a Windows 10 realm if anyone is interested. I know you guys are Java folks though, so I won't be hurt if no one joins :)
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's good. I haven't actually played in at least a year, but I and the kids each have copies, and I wasn't thrilled with the idea of having to buy three more just to get updates. if I can just 'sidegrade' them, though, that's fine.

What is the state of the Windows version anyway? The last time I tried it it was way, way behind the java version in regards to features.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)