Why isn't anyone here talking about virtual reality?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

sgoldj

Re: Why isn't anyone here talking about virtual reality?

Post by sgoldj »

coopasonic wrote:I thought Bridge Crew was pretty limited in scope?
Probably can be considered that, but like all things YMMV.

I see a chance to be on the bridge of the original NCC-1701 with three buds running missions that have the potential for more robust DLC missions pretty much the type of thing I want from VR. Immersive, social, an experience that I cannot otherwise get.

FPS does not mean that much to me.. I've yet to play Wolfenstein New Order for example, so generally an FPS is not going to be my idea of the killer app. where a VR remake of Endless Ocean that I can play cross platform with friends/family is.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Well, it is limited in that what you see in the videos is it as far as gameplay, but I think it really does showcase VR in general.. (At least on the Vive)

The little I have played has impressed me.. It's the best feeling of reality so far to me..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Butterknife wrote:I picked up the Deluxe Audio Strap for the Vive, and it came today. I really like it. It is far easier to put on and take off, and having the headphones built in is so much less trouble than trying to find them after you have already put the headset on (Rift owners never had to hassle that). It is pretty pricey for what it is but I can already tell I'm not going back. I like how well it sits on my head and it seems to work well on my daughter's head too (age 9) so it fits a small head pretty well. I've heard it will fit a large head too.

The best thing though is how quickly I can put it on or take it off. I recommend it if you have the money kicking around.

Where did you get yours? Seems to be out of stock most places except for amazon which has it at $230, so not getting it there. Sounds like it is worth the $100 investment.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I don't know anything about that Star Trek thing, but if it's just the experience of feeling like you are there, I can think of a thousand other experiences I'd want first.

Climbing Mt Everest
Surfing a monster wave
Walking on the Moon(they could even use the original sets to create the VR version)
Watching a football game from the point of view of someone on the field(player or official)

To name a few
Rip

Post by Rip »

To be honest the most interesting thing to me about it is how realistic it makes sitting at the stations and shooting the shit with your buddies in between dealing with the neighborhood Klingons. There is an inherent need to communicate with each other as you battle and that seems to just naturally carry over into communicating all the time.

I say this as someone who has not played but spent way too many hours watching other people play.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

gameoverman wrote:I don't know anything about that Star Trek thing, but if it's just the experience of feeling like you are there, I can think of a thousand other experiences I'd want first.

Walking on the Moon(they could even use the original sets to create the VR version)
Bahahaha, come on you know they'd have shown hostile alien life forms that we needed the Military Industrial Complex to arm us against if it had been faked. :doh:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Didn't you see Apollo 18?
I have but one advocate.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

gameoverman wrote: I don't know anything about that Star Trek thing, but if it's just the experience of feeling like you are there, I can think of a thousand other experiences I'd want first.
Well, it does help to be familiar with and like Star Trek, so there's that. I am both and have really enjoyed the little time I have been able to play it..
gameoverman wrote: Climbing Mt Everest
http://store.steampowered.com/app/384750/EVEREST_VR/
gameoverman wrote: Surfing a monster wave
Couldn't find a game for this, but looks like 360 VR videos are around
gameoverman wrote: Walking on the Moon(they could even use the original sets to create the VR version)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/457860/Apollo_11_VR/
gameoverman wrote: Watching a football game from the point of view of someone on the field(player or official)
Close.. Don't think any sort of live thing is ready tech wise just yet.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-next/0ap3 ... n-the-game
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I have Apollo VR. I have gotten up to the moon landing part. haven't done the moon walk yet.. Not fully interactive, but you can take control at a few places or just sit back in the cockpit and watch. Would be cool if all the switches and knobs and whatnot worked if you wanted them.
It's is pretty cool though... (If you are into that sort of thing.... I could see people being bored if they aren't interested in that stuff...
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Punisher wrote:I have Apollo VR. I have gotten up to the moon landing part. haven't done the moon walk yet.. Not fully interactive, but you can take control at a few places or just sit back in the cockpit and watch. Would be cool if all the switches and knobs and whatnot worked if you wanted them.
It's is pretty cool though... (If you are into that sort of thing.... I could see people being bored if they aren't interested in that stuff...
Apollo 11 VR almost brought tears to my eyes from being such a powerful experience. I sat through it from beginning to end in one sitting, and I really felt as if I had participated in a great journey when it was over.
Insert witty comment here.
Antonio94

Post by Antonio94 »

Talking about virtual reality, while i agree that it's expensive, but seems in Japan they already developing this (IBM developer if I remember right).
There is also a video of an Japanese interviewer tried this new technology and it seems working quite well so far.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

sgoldj wrote:
Probably can be considered that, but like all things YMMV.

Yeah, from what I've seen, I think it's a perfect showcase for VR. If you really think about it, both have their own limitations and Trek is a good application for it that makes a lot of sense. VR seems to have a bit of a problem with moving around, and one would be lucky enough to do room-scale, but in this, you're sitting. Instead of yourself moving around, it's the environment that changes around you, ie the ship. That makes perfect sense, and you're still going places where no men have gone before. Many have dreamed of being on a bridge like the Enterprise, and this really gives one the fantasy, one that seems pretty immersive.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Punisher wrote:
Butterknife wrote:I picked up the Deluxe Audio Strap for the Vive, and it came today. I really like it. It is far easier to put on and take off, and having the headphones built in is so much less trouble than trying to find them after you have already put the headset on (Rift owners never had to hassle that). It is pretty pricey for what it is but I can already tell I'm not going back. I like how well it sits on my head and it seems to work well on my daughter's head too (age 9) so it fits a small head pretty well. I've heard it will fit a large head too.

The best thing though is how quickly I can put it on or take it off. I recommend it if you have the money kicking around.

Where did you get yours? Seems to be out of stock most places except for amazon which has it at $230, so not getting it there. Sounds like it is worth the $100 investment.
I got it on Amazon but I bought it from Amazon itself so I only paid $100 + tax (free shipping with Prime). Honestly I think $100 is a bit over-priced, but I'm starting to get used to having to pay more for pretty much everything VR.

Speaking of cool space experiences, "Buzz Aldrin: Cycling Pathways to Mars" is a free VR experience that I sincerely enjoyed. They motion-captured Buzz Aldrin and he walks you through how we would go about colonizing Mars with current technology. For the low low price of FREE I highly recommend the download. It is about 20 minutes or so I think.

By the way, I still seriously enjoy showing off my VR headset to people who haven't had the chance to try it, so if any of you Overlords are near Salt Lake City and want to give it a try just PM me.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Butterknife wrote: I got it on Amazon but I bought it from Amazon itself so I only paid $100 + tax (free shipping with Prime). Honestly I think $100 is a bit over-priced, but I'm starting to get used to having to pay more for pretty much everything VR.
Ah. Looks like I missed the boat then. I'll have to wait for the next round... How is the sound? I currently just use the ear buds it came with.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Punisher wrote:
Butterknife wrote: I got it on Amazon but I bought it from Amazon itself so I only paid $100 + tax (free shipping with Prime). Honestly I think $100 is a bit over-priced, but I'm starting to get used to having to pay more for pretty much everything VR.
Ah. Looks like I missed the boat then. I'll have to wait for the next round... How is the sound? I currently just use the ear buds it came with.
I think it sounds just fine, but I'm not an audiophile so I'm easy to impress.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

TiLT wrote:
Punisher wrote:I have Apollo VR. I have gotten up to the moon landing part. haven't done the moon walk yet.. Not fully interactive, but you can take control at a few places or just sit back in the cockpit and watch. Would be cool if all the switches and knobs and whatnot worked if you wanted them.
Apollo 11 VR almost brought tears to my eyes from being such a powerful experience. I sat through it from beginning to end in one sitting, and I really felt as if I had participated in a great journey when it was over.
This is not what I had in mind, something you just watch.

We have the Moon mapped by now, including elevations and slopes, etc. So why couldn't there be a VR experience where you could roam freely on a computer modeled surface of the Moon? The model would be based on all the real data we have. It could even have an internet link, so that the position of the sun and planets is accurate. You could look at the Earth and see it in the real position it is in relative to your position on the Moon at that exact moment!

You could do it sitting down, using a controller to move around in VR. You could then 'walk' around while actually just sitting there.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

gameoverman wrote:
TiLT wrote:
This is not what I had in mind, something you just watch.

We have the Moon mapped by now, including elevations and slopes, etc. So why couldn't there be a VR experience where you could roam freely on a computer modeled surface of the Moon? The model would be based on all the real data we have. It could even have an internet link, so that the position of the sun and planets is accurate. You could look at the Earth and see it in the real position it is in relative to your position on the Moon at that exact moment!

You could do it sitting down, using a controller to move around in VR. You could then 'walk' around while actually just sitting there.
You might enjoy landing on and exploring planets in Elite: Dangerous. While our own moon is off-limits in that game at the moment, there are plenty of similar planets and moons out there that you can explore. You don't go out on foot, but you drive around in a buggy.
Insert witty comment here.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

sgoldj wrote:You're both wrong. The killer app is already released and it is Star Trek :Bridge Crew :horse:
When Bridge Crew sells as many copies as Fallout 4, you might have something. Until then, 'fraid not :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Grifman wrote:
sgoldj wrote:You're both wrong. The killer app is already released and it is Star Trek :Bridge Crew :horse:
When Bridge Crew sells as many copies as Fallout 4, you might have something. Until then, 'fraid not :)
Well, it will be a LONG time for that! The main issue is market share.. There just aren't as many people who have VR yet...
Cost is a big thing to getting into PC based VR. The Playstaion VR will help sales a lot though.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

That raises a question, what is the best selling VR app? I realize it won't be as big in sales as a regular piece of software, but has there been a dominant VR app? Or do they all do about the same?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

gameoverman wrote:That raises a question, what is the best selling VR app? I realize it won't be as big in sales as a regular piece of software, but has there been a dominant VR app? Or do they all do about the same?

This is from January...
https://vrtodaymagazine.com/job-simulator/
Rip

Post by Rip »

Well I just upgraded by GTX960 to a 1060, I'm VR ready now.

Just a matter of putting aside the money for the HMD.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Huh. Out of all the first released titles, Space Pirate Trainer was the big winner with the kids and friends.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Punisher wrote:
gameoverman wrote:That raises a question, what is the best selling VR app? I realize it won't be as big in sales as a regular piece of software, but has there been a dominant VR app? Or do they all do about the same?

This is from January...
https://vrtodaymagazine.com/job-simulator/
That is disappointing. Of all the possible experiences people might use this technology to enjoy, it's a plain ol' work environment that's hitting it big? SAD!
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I thought it was satirical for that reason. It's real?
I have but one advocate.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

JetFred wrote:I thought it was satirical for that reason. It's real?
Yes it is. I have it and it's pretty fun. It definately a satirical game.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Job Simulator is kind of cheating as the best-seller, though -- mainly because it shipped free with the Vive for a long time. Even though almost everyone who has a Vive owns it, very few of us actually bought it. I've only played it an hour or so -- it just doesn't interest me that much.

However, my kids absolutely love Job Simulator. In fact it is their favorite game by a large margin. They've put 44 hours into it according to Steam.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

From everything I've ever learned about people, I'd have never thought they were so desperate to work that they would play a game about it. :think:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Maybe someone should make a VR experience that consists of you watching a 'Let's Play' gaming session in VR. Maybe at some point the player you're watching stops playing, and he starts watching a Let's Play. Then when you look closer at his monitor, you realize he's watching you watch him.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Just found out about this thing...
http://vr.msi.com/Backpacks/vrone

Looks pretty cool for VR... That's the biggest hassle for me.. the wires going all over..
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That's a pretty good idea. I figured it was only a matter of time. Something similar was featured on Dragon's Den in Canada, where a guy pitched a full immersion suit that included haptic feedback.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Looks like the price slashing is finally happening. But I may have lost interest.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Oculus announced via its blog overnight that the Rift VR headset bundled with hand-tracking Touch controllers will now cost just $399, half the price the company was charging for that same hardware package less than five months ago. The "limited time" price is being offered as part of an ongoing "Summer of Rift" promotion that also includes heavy discounts on Oculus games.
That's cheap enough...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Yeah I already have the Vive, but I am seriously thinking about this.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

FYI.. the Vive store and Microsoft both have the Vive deluxe Audio Strap in stock.. not sure how long it will last. Just ordered mine.
Montag

Post by Montag »

I was thinking Vive, but with the $400 price, I am going to jump on the Rift. Looking forward to Star Trek Bridge Crew.
words
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I only just started thinking seriously about joining the party (mostly because of the Fallout 4 announcement). But I'll probably wait until Xmas time.... maybe.

I was leaning towards Vive because we have a nice big open space that we could use (at least until I get the gaming table, then it'll be a slightly smaller space).

But I was also thinking that I might hold off until the nextgen hardware becomes available.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

There's apparently an Amazon Prime deal that gives you a $100 gift card if you buy the Rift + Touch, so net cost $300 at the moment.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

wonderpug wrote:There's apparently an Amazon Prime deal that gives you a $100 gift card if you buy the Rift + Touch, so net cost $300 at the moment.
If so, it's gone now... kind of glad because that would have forced my hand into the buy now category...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah that would have been a no brainer to me, which is why it sold out. :)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter