Perpetual Photography Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Octavious

Re: Perpetual Photography Thread

Post by Octavious »

Thanks I think I'm starting to get the hang of lightroom. I was overcooking a lot of my shots and didn't really realize. Which pretty much everyone does at first. This has to be the first hobby that I haven't gotten bored of. Well aside from gaming. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Took this from a phone, but I like the mist, light, and shadow.

ImageWP_20170525_08_31_55_Rich by https://www.flickr.com/photos/124941473@N08/,
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Zaxxon wrote:Do it, man! I'm going to be driving a few hours north to populous Glendo, WY.
Do you have land squatted out? I haven't yet formulated a plan, but would certainly glom onto someone else's if convenient.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Meal wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:Do it, man! I'm going to be driving a few hours north to populous Glendo, WY.
Do you have land squatted out? I haven't yet formulated a plan, but would certainly glom onto someone else's if convenient.
I'm not sure yet. I've purchased an eclipse-day pass to Glendo State Park, but I'm not sure how the day itself will go. This is a town of 205, and they expect 50,000 to 100,000 people based on the Glendo Eclipse Facebook page.

I am thinking of just heading up in the wee hours of the morning and hoping for the best.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I won't be taking pictures of it, but I'll be in Oregon for the eclipse.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote:
The Meal wrote:
I'm not sure yet. I've purchased an eclipse-day pass to Glendo State Park, but I'm not sure how the day itself will go. This is a town of 205, and they expect 50,000 to 100,000 people based on the Glendo Eclipse Facebook page.

I am thinking of just heading up in the wee hours of the morning and hoping for the best.
And I meant to say that if you are looking to share a ride up there, I've got room so long as you're ok going early.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I really want to ditch my 80-200 as I almost totally missed this shot because the damn thing focuses like crap under 10 feet. :( The eyes are just barely in focus. Anyone else would just look and say FOX cool! :lol:

Enlarge Image
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

He looks sad or disheartened.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

There were two people five feet from him aiming huge lens at him. That might have something to do with it.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nope! Chuck Testa!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Had to lookup what the heck that means. :lol: It was very much alive. :lol:
Enlarge Image

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:wink:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Bring on the eclipse...Enlarge Image
Last edited by Zaxxon on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bring on the bigimg tags.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I blame Tapatalk. Yeah, that's the ticket.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I was banned from the airliners.net photography forum by concerned moderators after the end of my lens started brushing against planes as they flew by.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

:lol: I hate little birds oh so much.

Enough

Post by Enough »

Zaxxon wrote:Bring on the eclipse...Enlarge Image
Very nice, where did you all book?

Oh and a side note. Lexar memory cards are no more as of today. So much for competition.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Enough

Post by Enough »

Moliere wrote:Image
True, that is as long as you don't mind Coke bottle optical quality. I should know, because I am the guy who has stacked 1.4x, 1.7x and 2x converters. I discovered that a tripod more stable than an iron nucleus would likely be required. :P

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'll be going to Glendo. As for booking the pass, I got it here (available until 6/30).
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Zaxxon wrote:I'll be going to Glendo. As for booking the pass, I got it here (available until 6/30).
Thanks for the link. One orange 2015 MINI Cooper also now has a day pass. :D
Enough

Post by Enough »

The Meal wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:I'll be going to Glendo. As for booking the pass, I got it here (available until 6/30).
Day trip for you as well?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Enough wrote:
The Meal wrote:
Day trip for you as well?
Whatever it is we end up doing, it'll have to just be a day trip. Glendo will probably be our destination as well.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Coolness. We are camping. My original plan has been to find dispersed camping in the NF nearby center line somewhere in WY. Unfortunately I have not been able to head up for scoping out possibilities yet. We might end up far away from Glendo, but it looks like a great place and there's definitely a chance we end up there. I will message folks my cell phone info, just don't expect coverage if we are in the sticks. It will be fun if we all end up hooking up but obviously our priority is on seeing the eclipse. If I end up finding a cool location I will share if there's time. Fingers crossed for clear skies!

Time to start testing out solar filters and DIYing anything needed to use them. My plan is to test what I have pulled together this holiday weekend and do some dry runs on the midday sun.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Awesome. If you find another spot I'd definitely be interested in hearing about it, as Glendo is sure to be swamped.

My solar filter came in last week... if only I had a camera with which to test it. Really hoping mine comes back from Fuji in the next couple of weeks.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Someone has a D750 with a 50mm lens for sale on Facebook market for 875. It has to be broken, stolen or they are complete idiots. Considering how easy it is to google prices I'm going with the first two, but damn that would be sweeetttttt. If it was a legit used D750 they could sell it for 1,200 body only no problem.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Had an itch to take a picture of SOMETHING! Hadn't really gotten out at all lately. So I picked the most obvious thing I could find in NJ and that's the Red Mill in Clinton. Not the best time of day or year to go, but happy with the picture.

Enlarge Image

Enough

Post by Enough »

What a nice pastoral scene with perfect sky. Super pretty and kudos for getting out!

I am getting itchy to break in some new gear. I just received the Nikon 16-80, what a contrasty/3d-ish beast for DX! Forget that it's also sharp enough for the high resolution sensor on the D500, it's the native contrast of the lens and ability to perform under mixed conditions that impresses. It also appears sharper than it's Nikon 24-120 F4 equivalent brother on full-frame. Then on Friday, I'm going to be in Peak Design heaven. I have the 30l Everyday Backpack and a Peak Design camera strap system incoming along with a Mindshift holster bag that will better fit a gripped body with longer lens than my ancient Lowepro TLZ holster. I will get to try most of this stuff out on a quick trip out to Chi-town later this month and couldn't be more excited!

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

That was with my 17-50 (99.99% is my 17-50 ) and a polarizer as it just so happened to be the right angle to use it woo. I have the poor mans strap setup which actually works really well.

This plate
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014T ... UTF8&psc=1

Connected to an Opt/Tech sling. Works fantastic as I never have to take the plate off even when using a tripod. I setup both my cameras like that. Even with my 80-200 beast lens it's easy to hang on the side. And you can easily unclip the camera if you don't want to use the strap.

geezer

Post by geezer »

I haven't shared any photos in awhile, so I figure it's about time :) Sunrise on the Georgia coast, about a month ago.

Enlarge Image

50MP Canon 5dsR with a $135 plastic lens :lol:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

geezer wrote:I haven't shared any photos in awhile, so I figure it's about time :) Sunrise on the Georgia coast, about a month ago.

Enlarge Image

50MP Canon 5dsR with a $135 plastic lens Image
Nifty 50?

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

geezer wrote:
50MP Canon 5dsR with a $135 plastic lens :lol:
I have to say I've been really happy with my 5dsR. I've been doing a lot of portraits and it really excels. Not to mention it's really fun to be able to aggressively crop and still have something I can print large if I need to.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Very nicely atmospheric Geezer, love it!

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I think I'm done with my 80-200. I just can't get consistent pictures with it and it's heavy as hell. Hopefully I can sell it for something close to what I bought it for. I'm just going to save up for the Sigma 50-100. Sure it doesn't have VR, but I was getting killer pictures with it when I rented it and the focal length is a lot better for a crop sensor. With the 80 I have I stand like a million feet back to get a full body shot even at 80mm. Barf.

geezer

Post by geezer »

Octavious wrote:
geezer wrote:I haven't shared any photos in awhile, so I figure it's about time :) Sunrise on the Georgia coast, about a month ago.

Enlarge Image

50MP Canon 5dsR with a $135 plastic lens Image
Nifty 50?
No - Lensbaby. An actual plastic lens :) It's specifically designed to blur/distort edges, and you can tilt it around to move the point of focus. Remember when doing those tilt/shift miniature-look images was all the rage a few years back? I think it was designed to make that look accessible, but I've found it to work really well at isolating a straight-on subject and really blowing the background out.

@Enough - thanks :)
@gbasden - I'm really pleased with the 5dsR as well. The only flaw I've seen is that you can print nice and large, but those sizes really bring out the lack of corner sharpness in the lenses.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ah k. I've heard of them, but never seen/used one myself.

geezer

Post by geezer »

Octavious wrote:Ah k. I've heard of them, but never seen/used one myself.
They're a cool little toy if you're feeling creative and aren't using them for ultra-critical work (the results can be a little unpredictable when viewed full size).
geezer

Post by geezer »

My latest cityscape - Savannah, GA

Enlarge Image