Thread for 'Alt-Facts'

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Enough

Re: Thread for 'Alt-Facts'

Post by Enough »

hepcat wrote:Wow, Trump dropped unemployment from 42 percent to 4.7 percent in less than 3 months! :shock:
He apparently really thinks he did. :wink:

On Friday, after the release of a favorable jobs report, Spicer was asked if Trump thought the report was accurate.

“I talked to the President prior to this, and he said to quote him very clearly,” Spicer responded. “They may have been phony in the past, but it’s very real now.”
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
tgb

Post by tgb »

Alex Jones apologizes for spreading "Pizzagate" bullshit.

Smells like part of an out-of-court settlement to me. Why else do it now?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Maybe that business owner has a case and he is finally feeling some heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Trump cuts off interview, basically runs and hides behind his desk because he was challenged on his "alternative facts" about Obama wiretapping him:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/01/media/j ... index.html

Pretty sad to see the president hide behind his desk. So sad!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Grifman wrote:Trump cuts off interview, basically runs and hides behind his desk because he was challenged on his "alternative facts" about Obama wiretapping him:

Did he hide behind his desk, or former-President Bannon's desk?
Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Grifman wrote:Trump cuts off interview, basically runs and hides behind his desk because he was challenged on his "alternative facts" about Obama wiretapping him:

It was beautiful to see someone stand up to him and try to pierce his bubble, and tremendously disturbing that said bubble is so thick that it can't be pierced. You could see the absolute fury behind Trump's visage there as repeating the same thing over and over ("You know what it means") with no clarification kept getting the same questions asked ("Can you tell me what that means?"). I never doubted he was pathetic, but it always makes me sad to see the kind of person he is representing all of us on the world stage.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Paingod wrote:

It was beautiful to see someone stand up to him and try to pierce his bubble, and tremendously disturbing that said bubble is so thick that it can't be pierced. You could see the absolute fury behind Trump's visage there as repeating the same thing over and over ("You know what it means") with no clarification kept getting the same questions asked ("Can you tell me what that means?"). I never doubted he was pathetic, but it always makes me sad to see the kind of person he is representing all of us on the world stage.
Another gem that you never want to hear out of a president's mouth: "I don't stand by anything".
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

If you stand by nothing, Trump, then what'll you fall for?
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Chaz wrote:If you stand by nothing, Trump, then what'll you fall for?
Trump will fall for briefcases full of cash, but he's not standing around with them.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

:D
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I don't know what he'll fall for, but he'll probably slip from one of those yellow puddles.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Clearly we can't keep up but here's another.
Trump tweeted, erroneously, that the Obama administration “allowed” MS-13 to form in America.

“The weak illegal immigration policies of the Obama Admin. allowed bad MS-13 gangs to form in cities across U.S. We are removing them fast!” the president tweeted.

MS-13 was started in Los Angeles in the mid-1980s by Salvadoran immigrants — many of them young ex-soldiers — fleeing their country's civil war. Salvadorans congregated in large numbers in the Pico-Union neighborhood and the area near MacArthur Park.

Beck said he arrested his first MS-13 gang member more than 35 years ago.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
tgb

Post by tgb »

I knew they shouldn't have left that damn cake out in the rain.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

And my mom didn't vote for "Lyin' Hillary" because she said Hillary was lying about proposing free college tuition. :grund: :grund: :grund:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Breitbart's seems pissed that the car plowing into people in New York today wasn't an act of terror. Their headline has asterisks around the word terror in the headline Police: *NOT* Terror.

Their only shining light might be if he's an illegal immigrant....or just an immigrant.
Last edited by hepcat on Thu May 18, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm super relieved. I'm going to NYC in July and had this been an actual terrorist attack I would have never heard the end of it from my Fox News guzzling paranoid parents.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote:
Their only shining light might be if he's an illegal immigrant....or just an immigrant.
Not true. If all those tourists from carry states were armed, the driver would have been dead as soon as his car hit the curb. There's plenty of room here.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

New master "alt-facts" list:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... &smtyp=cur
Many Americans have become accustomed to President Trump’s lies. But as regular as they have become, the country should not allow itself to become numb to them. So we have catalogued nearly every outright lie he has told publicly since taking the oath of office.

The list above uses the conservative standard of demonstrably false statements. By that standard, Trump told a public lie on at least 20 of his first 40 days as president. But based on a broader standard — one that includes his many misleading statements (like exaggerating military spending in the Middle East) — Trump achieved something remarkable: He said something untrue, in public, every day for the first 40 days of his presidency. The streak didn’t end until March 1.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Alex Jones: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
Focusing on the issue of Alex selling overpriced crap to "fund" his show.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Holman

Post by Holman »

Doesn't that turn out to be little more than a rant against John Kelly, who as Chief of Staff stands in the way of appointing Mike Cernovich as Minister of Propaganda, which is JUST AS BAD as a coup? Or something?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Holman wrote:
Doesn't that turn out to be little more than a rant against John Kelly, who as Chief of Staff stands in the way of appointing Mike Cernovich as Minister of Propaganda, which is JUST AS BAD as a coup? Or something?
“Exactly, so I’d heard from people that Trump is on house arrest,” replied Mike Cernovich, “I thought ‘oh c’mon, the President of the United States, that’s the weirdest thing I’ve ever heard’, but I kept digging into it and I kept hearing the same thing over and over again and then, of course, John Bolton wrote his column for National Review and he’s begging people to retweet it, he said ‘this is the only way the President is gonna see it,’ and I’ll say Alex, I don’t really understand, how can Trump not see who he wants to see? This is something I don’t really fully comprehend within the White House. I have talked to a lot of people, it’s a very weird situation.”

Marlow agreed, “it is a very weird situation, and this is something that I’m afraid is systemic of something that’s happening inside, people that listen to the show know that I’m not a huge ‘Javanka’ fan,” referencing Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump, “and I’m just seeing the numbers here Mike and the people inside the White House, you’ve got Kushner, you’ve got Ivanka Trump, Gary Cohn, Dinah Powell, H.R. McMaster, who I know you were really the first person to call him out as a big threat to the MAGA agenda. And it’s just overwhelming and now with no Bannon and with no Gorka, just where is the President getting information that can tie him, connect him to his own base?”

“I heard [John] Kelly had taken his [Trump’s] phone, so he wouldn’t be getting messages on his phone which again I thought was a weird story when people were telling me that I said, ‘come on, get out of here you can’t take the President’s phone this is incomprehensible’ but again that Bolton thing confirmed it and I’m not a big John Bolton fan personally, I don’t have anything against him but I found it amazing that he was, again, begging for retweets saying ‘the only way the President is gonna see my article is maybe if it goes viral,’ because it has to get past General Kelly, that shows there is some kind of coup going on there.”

“Coup is a strong word,” said Marlow, “but it’s very hard to argue against it at this point.”
http://www.breitbart.com/radio/2017/08/ ... ite-house/
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:

For someone under house arrest, he sure gets out a lot.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

So it really *is* an argument that firing Bannon, Gorka, and other far-right fringe figures is tantamount to a coup. (Sad!)

But we know where this is going. Bannon has already declared that he's going to "hold Trump to his campaign promises," meaning that he'll turn right-wing media against Trump if Trump appears to soften his bigotries. This story is just set-up for that. It's well-known that they want Kelly out.

As for Kelly taking Trump's phone, does he swing by the WH at 6:00 a.m. every day to return it? Because that's when Trump starts tweeting.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

"house arrest"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: As for Kelly taking Trump's phone, does he swing by the WH at 6:00 a.m. every day to return it? Because that's when Trump starts tweeting.
I know it may be giving Trump too much credit (and furthering the craze conspiracy theory), but it's possible to Tweet from PCs and other devices.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LawBeefaroni wrote: but it's possible to Tweet from PCs and other devices.
"Ivanka, help me figure out this here fancy new phone device Kelly gave me! I wanna tweet my love of sour dough to my fans!"

"Daddy, it's a bathroom tile. We've already gone over this four times today. No matter how much you press on the 'button' that Kelly drew on there with a crayon, it's not going to start."
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

I'm thinking this is indicative of what is really happening and would call it a good thing.

Tossing random newspaper/online articles on his desk to get him wound up about your pet issue is not a professional way to conduct WH business.
Newly minted White House chief of staff John Kelly has sought to put a dent in the influence of one of President Donald Trump’s most famous advisers: Omarosa Manigault.

The former Apprentice co-star—who currently serves as the communications director for the Office of Public Liaison—has seen her direct access to the president limited since Kelly took the top White House job in late July, sources tell The Daily Beast. In particular, Kelly has taken steps to prevent her and other senior staffers from getting unvetted news articles on the president’s Resolute desk—a key method for influencing the president’s thinking, and one that Manigualt used to rile up Trump about internal White House drama.

Multiple sources in and outside the Trump White House told The Daily Beast that, until recently, it was common practice for aides to slide into the Oval Office and distract and infuriate the president with pieces of negative news coverage. Manigault, they say, was one of the worst offenders.

“When Gen. Kelly is talking about clamping down on access to the Oval, she’s patient zero,” a source close to the Trump administration said.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/john-kelly ... ring-trump

Doesn't sound to me like Kelly has a specific agenda beyond making sure the POTUS is briefed in proper ways so he can make informed decisions.

I'd say right man for the job.

Just a shame we can't clone a couple more of him to allow 24X7 coverage.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love that even you now have to admit that Trump is a goddamn idiot. :lol:
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote:I love that even you now have to admit that Trump is a goddamn idiot. :lol:
That isn't what I said, but I do feel he needs a strong Chief of Staff that forces people to follow an agreed upon protocol with regards to communicating with the POTUS.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In other words, he's a goddamn idiot who shouldn't be left alone or he'll screw up. But your attempt to spin what you wrote gave me a chuckle. So thanks!

Hopefully next time you'll remember this little lesson and not make the same mistake twice. :mrgreen:
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Er, the news today says that Drumpf dressed down the general in front of people and the general says he has not been spoken to like that in his 35 years of military service and that if it happens again...

It's hard to imagine a more incompetent wall builder bridge burner.

:pop:

Also, he's mad at south korea for some reason that I didn't bother to learn the details to.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

GreenGoo wrote: Also, he's mad at south korea for some reason that I didn't bother to learn the details to.
Well, you wouldn't have a North Korea if there wasn't a South Korea, duh!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This isn't really political per se, but it is definitely alt-factual: Brazil 'surfing war photographer' Eduardo Martins exposed as fake
Eduardo Martins' story was too perfect even for the world of internet celebrity.

The 32-year-old from Brazil said he had been abused as a child and beat leukaemia as a young adult.

But he had turned his life around and now worked as a UN photographer whose experiences helped him connect with human suffering in some of the world's most dangerous conflict zones.

His work appeared in reputable international outlets such as Getty Images, The Wall Street Journal, Vice and BBC Brasil.

In between trips to Mosul in Iraq, the Syrian city of Raqqa under the control of so-called Islamic State (IS) and the Gaza Strip, Eduardo Martins enjoyed surfing.

He shared glimpsed of his life with his almost 125,000 Instagram followers.

Until it all came crumbling down when a BBC Brasil investigation found out that Eduardo Martins was a completely fictitious character.]Brazil 'surfing war photographer' Eduardo Martins exposed as fake.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Re: Thread for 'Alternative Facts'

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moliere wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:41 pm Federal Hiring Freeze Announcement
At a press conference today new White House press secretary Sean Spicer stated that the freeze was established because it "counters the dramatic expansion of the federal workforce in recent years." Just one problem: There has not been a dramatic expansion in the federal workforce in recent years. According to the latest Office of Personnel Management, the number of federal civilian employees stands at around 2.7 million, just about where it was in 1966. In fact, civilian federal employment is down from its 1990 peak of just under 3.1 million. Relatively speaking this means that in 1966 there was 1 federal employee per 70 citizens and now there is 1 per 121 citizens.
WaPo
The Trump administration is threatening to furlough — and possibly lay off — 150 employees at the federal personnel agency if Congress blocks its plan to eliminate the department.

The Office of Personnel Management is preparing to send the career employees home without pay starting on Oct. 1, according to an internal briefing document obtained by The Washington Post. The employees could formally be laid off after 30 days, administration officials confirmed.

The warning of staff cuts is the administration’s most dramatic move yet in an escalating jujitsu between Trump officials and Congress over the fate of the agency that manages the civilian federal workforce of 2.1 million.

Even as House Democrats and some Republicans signal that Congress is not going to break up the 5,565-employee department, the administration is moving forward in defiance. Trump appointees paint a dire picture of a corner of the government in financial free fall and failing to carry out its mission. They want a commitment from Congress by June 30 to agree to disband the agency — or they say they’ll be forced to trim staff.
It's almost as if people are the problem.