[Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

YellowKing

Re: [Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

Post by YellowKing »

Thanks for the heads up Moliere, grabbed both SALT: A WORLD HISTORY and OLD MAN'S WAR. And yes, I can't believe I bought a book about salt, but this isn't the first time I've heard great things about it.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Moliere wrote:Furies of Calderon By Jim Butcher

$1.99 $9.99
Bought. I have all his Dresden books but haven't given anything else a shot. For $2 he can have another shot.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

coopasonic wrote:
Moliere wrote:Furies of Calderon By Jim Butcher

$1.99 $9.99
Bought. I have all his Dresden books but haven't given anything else a shot. For $2 he can have another shot.
FWIW, I enjoyed these books for awhile for what they were, but in the end, ended up immensely disappointed. He really had trouble making anything of consequence happen over the course of the six books. OTOH, I quite enjoy the Dresden books.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Moliere wrote:Zodiac By Neal Stephenson
$1.99 $9.99
Enjoyed this one a lot - it's pre-Snow Crash (not related), but also pre-"I have to make all my books over 1,000 pages" Stephenson.

thanks for the heads-up, I'll be adding it to the kindle collection.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Pale Blue Dot By Carl Sagan
$1.99 $11.99
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hillbilly Elegy, which is supposed to be amazing, is $4.99 today.
Black Lives Matter.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

El Guapo wrote:Hillbilly Elegy, which is supposed to be amazing, is $4.99 today.
Looks to be today as well. I grabbed it yesterday, I've wanted to read it since it came out and I passed on an earlier Kindle sale and have regretted it since.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Half a King (Shattered Sea Book 1) by Joe Abercrombie
$0.99 $2.99
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

July's Kindle First is posted.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The Big U by Neal Stephenson
$1.99
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Moliere wrote:The Big U by Neal Stephenson
$1.99
This had its moments, but was underwhelming. A pretty haphazard first novel.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image

The Tor.com eBook Club Selection for July.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Free: 355 Issues of Galaxy, the Groundbreaking 1950s Science Fiction Magazine
Along with Astounding Science Fiction and The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, Galaxy Magazine was one of the most important science fiction digests in 1950s America. Ray Bradbury wrote for it--including an early version of his masterpiece Fahrenheit 451--as did Robert A. Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, Frederik Pohl, Theodore Sturgeon, Cordwainer Smith, Jack Vance, and numerous others.

Now a fairly decent collection of issues (355 in total) is available for your perusal at archive.org for absolutely free. It’s not complete yet, but it’s close.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Foundation by Isaac Asimov $1.99
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote:Foundation by Isaac Asimov $1.99
Tempting, but I would want to get all the associated Foundation books. Too expensive.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Moliere wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Foundation by Isaac Asimov $1.99
Tempting, but I would want to get all the associated Foundation books. Too expensive.
I bought it and added it to my backlog. I'll worry about the rest if/when I get to them.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$49.93 for the whole series, or $7.99 each for the remainder. I've read Prelude already, and can always go "dead tree" at Half Price Books if the first one grabs me.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I need to finish picking up the First Law books before I can think about the Foundation series.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Shogun By James Clavell
$1.99 $9.99
I enjoyed the whole Asian saga.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Hugo/Nebula winner Ancillary Justice for $2.99 on Kindle. Never seen it less than $9.99.

Looks like The Girl with all the Gifts is also $2.99. An interesting twist on zombies.

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Summerland by Michael Chabon
$1.99
I've been a big fan of Chabon since reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Moliere wrote:Summerland by Michael Chabon
$1.99
I've been a big fan of Chabon since reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay.
This was a fun read.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A Spell for Chameleon is $0.99.

You know, if you want to examine Piers Anthony from an adult perspective, or expose your kids to his oddness that we never seemed to notice as youths.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

There are a dozen books on Dunkirk in Kindle store, some of which are only a buck. Some of them were written by people who were there.

Dunkirk: Retreat from the Brink of Destruction $0.99 written by 2 BEF officers, originally published in 1950

Dunkirk by Norman Gelb $0.99

Dunkirk: A Miracle of Deliverance by David Boyle $2.99

The Epic of Dunkirk by E. Kebel Chatterton $0.99 written by WW1 veteran sailor
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The August Kindle First choices are available.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Dies the Fire
$1.99 $8.99
Emberverse Book 1
"S. M. Stirling presents his first Novel of the Change, the start of the New York Times bestselling postapocalyptic saga set in a world where all technology has been rendered useless."
I enjoyed this series until the most recent book. Recommended.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Moliere wrote:Dies the Fire
$1.99 $8.99
Emberverse Book 1
"S. M. Stirling presents his first Novel of the Change, the start of the New York Times bestselling postapocalyptic saga set in a world where all technology has been rendered useless."
I enjoyed this series until the most recent book. Recommended.
Out of curiosity, how many is that? I read the first (not sure I actually finished it though, now that I think about it) and never really felt a need to read more.
-mf
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

MonkeyFinger wrote:Out of curiosity, how many is that? I read the first (not sure I actually finished it though, now that I think about it) and never really felt a need to read more.
I read the first ten books along with the 3 books in the side series. That was enough for me.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Moliere wrote:
MonkeyFinger wrote:Out of curiosity, how many is that? I read the first (not sure I actually finished it though, now that I think about it) and never really felt a need to read more.
I read the first ten books along with the 3 books in the side series. That was enough for me.
Yikes. I'll pass. Thanks. :wink:
-mf
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The classic Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is $1.99 today.
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Tibetan Peach Pie By Tom Robbins

$1.99 $8.99
Internationally bestselling novelist and American icon Tom Robbins delivers the long awaited tale of his wild life and times, both at home and around the globe.

Tom Robbins’ warm, wise, and wonderfully weird novels—including Still Life With Woodpecker, Jitterbug Perfume, and Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates—provide an entryway into the frontier of his singular imagination. Madcap but sincere, pulsating with strong social and philosophical undercurrents, his irreverent classics have introduced countless readers to natural born hitchhiking cowgirls, born-again monkeys, a philosophizing can of beans, exiled royalty, and problematic redheads.

In Tibetan Peach Pie, Robbins turns that unparalleled literary sensibility inward, stitching together stories of his unconventional life, from his Appalachian childhood to his globetrotting adventures —told in his unique voice that combines the sweet and sly, the spiritual and earthy. The grandchild of Baptist preachers, Robbins would become over the course of half a century a poet-interruptus, an air force weatherman, a radio dj, an art-critic-turned-psychedelic-journeyman, a world-famous novelist, and a counter-culture hero, leading a life as unlikely, magical, and bizarre as those of his quixotic characters.
I'm a big fan of his novels and enjoyed this autobiography too.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

$2.99 $13.99
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image

Doubt: A History: The Great Doubters and Their Legacy of Innovation from Socrates and Jesus to Thomas Jefferson and Emily Dickinson
$0.99

Highly recommended.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'd buy that for a dollar.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hey, remember back in June when Amazon randomly lowered Marvel graphic novels to $5 or under? Well, it would seem they've randomly done it again.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Must... Stay... Away. Guess I'll go read The Everything Store, which I got for the bucks over the weekend...