Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

Post by Paingod »

Moliere wrote:
Because shouting down those you disagree with is the new in thing?
I'll disagree with the town and have a discussion with my selectman about road conditions. If I found out the town was planning to rip up the road to my house and replace them with 1-ton boulders, you bet your ass I'm going to get vocal.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

It does make me seriously question the judgement of the school. Why on earth would they choose DeVos as the speaker in the first place?

It's the equivalent of bringing in Hillary Clinton to close out a Trump rally or Sherrif Joe to keynote an ACLU conference, and expecting that to be well received. Makes no sense at all.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Skinypupy wrote:It does make me seriously question the judgement of the school. Why on earth would they choose DeVos as the speaker in the first place?

It's the equivalent of bringing in Hillary Clinton to close out a Trump rally or Sherrif Joe to keynote an ACLU conference, and expecting that to be well received. Makes no sense at all.
$
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
malchior

Post by malchior »

A trope laden commencement speech from a billionaire heiress about how hard work pays off, who also wants to dismantle the education system in favor of special interests, whose positions go entirely counter to the student bodies' core values, embarrassed themselves during their confirmation hearings, and drove 50,000 folks to sign a petition to change the administrations' minds went over like a lead balloon? Go figure.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Paingod wrote:
Moliere wrote:
I'll disagree with the town and have a discussion with my selectman about road conditions. If I found out the town was planning to rip up the road to my house and replace them with 1-ton boulders, you bet your ass I'm going to get vocal.
Also it was only some actually booing, most did the classy thing and stood up and turned their backs to her talk. It would have been awesome if there was no boos, no applause and all turned backs.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Remus West wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:It does make me seriously question the judgement of the school. Why on earth would they choose DeVos as the speaker in the first place?

$
I hope you're implying she paid the school vast sums to come in and speak, otherwise I have to agree with Skinypupy that it makes no sense for them to bring her in.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

From the NPR story I was listening to this morning the school administration thought it would be a kind of teaching moment where it is important to be exposed to different viewpoints. I do agree with that but it really makes more sense to do it in the form of a separate symposium or a guest lecturer rather than the commencement speech with a captive audience celebrating the completion of their education.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

$iljanus wrote:From the NPR story I was listening to this morning the school administration thought it would be a kind of teaching moment where it is important to be exposed to different viewpoints.
Being a graduation ceremony - I would think that the 'teaching' could be put aside for a little while and a speech to help get them started in their new world (instead of just challenge their view points) would have been a better idea.
(I realize you are just sharing what you heard on NPR, so not directed at you)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Enough wrote:
Paingod wrote:
Moliere wrote:
Also it was only some actually booing, most did the classy thing and stood up and turned their backs to her talk. It would have been awesome if there was no boos, no applause and all turned backs.
Especially if they were all dressed as Klingons.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

DeVos praises BCU students who shunned her at commencement
“I have respect for all those who attended Bethune-Cookman, including those who demonstrated their disagreement with me today,” she added. “While we may share differing points of view, my visit and dialogue with students leaves me encouraged and committed to supporting HBCUs.”
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

A major victory for DeVos and her school of choice model? The freedom to shut down!

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/ind ... _clos.html

SOUTHFIELD, MI - A Southfield charter school closed abruptly with 12 school days left in the 2016-17 school year, and now families and staff are left searching for other options.

Taylor International Academy in Southfield announced on June 2 it would not re-open for the rest of the school year, with its authorizer Central Michigan University citing the school's financial problems.

CMU, in partnership with the Michigan Association of Public School Academies, is hosting a "Parent and Talent Expo" from noon to 2 p.m. and 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday, June 8, at the academy, 26555 Franklin Road, Southfield. The expo will give families the chance to meet with representatives from 20 area schools and former Taylor staff members can learn more about job opportunities.
The freedom to stay the hell away from instability and wages cuts that is teaching!

http://www.freep.com/story/opinion/colu ... 375076001/

This is what the nation who in a part can't afford private schools are in for under DeVos plans.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We need an FDIC of schools.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote:The freedom to stay the hell away from instability and wages cuts that is teaching!
:cry:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Remus West wrote:
LordMortis wrote:The freedom to stay the hell away from instability and wages cuts that is teaching!
I weep for you and the state's children.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote:
Remus West wrote:
I weep for you and the state's nation's children.
ftfy :(
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm noticing a trend:
She’s arranged tournaments at Trump golf courses, served as the liaison to the Trump family during his presidential campaign, and even arranged Eric Trump’s wedding.

Now President Trump has appointed longtime loyalist Lynne Patton — who has zero housing experience and claims a law degree the school says she never earned — to run the office that oversees federal housing programs in New York.

Patton was appointed Wednesday to head up the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Region II, which includes New York and New Jersey, where she’ll oversee distribution of billions of taxpayer dollars.
Not technically a cabinet member but seemed most appropriate here.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm noticing a trend:
She’s arranged tournaments at Trump golf courses, served as the liaison to the Trump family during his presidential campaign, and even arranged Eric Trump’s wedding.

Now President Trump has appointed longtime loyalist Lynne Patton — who has zero housing experience and claims a law degree the school says she never earned — to run the office that oversees federal housing programs in New York.

Patton was appointed Wednesday to head up the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Region II, which includes New York and New Jersey, where she’ll oversee distribution of billions of taxpayer dollars.
Not technically a cabinet member but seemed most appropriate here.
I hope this will finally end the drought of golf tournaments in public housing!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I'm really not creative enough to have made all this crap up.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
malchior

Post by malchior »

Chaz wrote:I'm really not creative enough to have made all this crap up.
Hollywood has been doing this for years. If you are a Republican, you see a rag tag band of outsiders who will get their shit together (via a montage) and then rally to save the world when North Korea lobs a nuke at Tokyo. If you are the *everyone else*, this is the disaster film where you see a band of incompetents bumble, fail, and then ultimately have the showdown where it all falls apart.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

malchior wrote:
Chaz wrote:I'm really not creative enough to have made all this crap up.
Hollywood has been doing this for years. If you are a Republican, you see a rag tag band of outsiders who will get their shit together (via a montage) and then rally to save the world when North Korea lobs a nuke at Tokyo. If you are the *everyone else*, this is the disaster film where you see a band of incompetents bumble, fail, and then ultimately have the showdown where it all falls apart.
I honestly think you are giving too much credit assuming they actually make it to the showdown.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Holman

Post by Holman »

link
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LordMortis wrote:A major victory for DeVos and her school of choice model? The freedom to shut down!

SOUTHFIELD, MI - A Southfield charter school closed abruptly with 12 school days left in the 2016-17 school year, and now families and staff are left searching for other options.

Taylor International Academy in Southfield announced on June 2 it would not re-open for the rest of the school year, with its authorizer Central Michigan University citing the school's financial problems.

CMU, in partnership with the Michigan Association of Public School Academies, is hosting a "Parent and Talent Expo" from noon to 2 p.m. and 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday, June 8, at the academy, 26555 Franklin Road, Southfield. The expo will give families the chance to meet with representatives from 20 area schools and former Taylor staff members can learn more about job opportunities.
The freedom to stay the hell away from instability and wages cuts that is teaching!

This is what the nation who in a part can't afford private schools are in for under DeVos plans.
Arizona:
“It’s the latest show of disrespect from Republican legislators to Arizona teachers. Hardworking teachers already work long days, nights, and weekends educating our children. But Republicans think the American Dream is working multiple jobs to make ends meet,” the organization said, adding Republicans and Ducey have an “appalling track record of disrespecting Arizona educators and destroying our public schools.”
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pyperkub wrote:
LordMortis wrote:A major victory for DeVos and her school of choice model? The freedom to shut down!

Arizona:
“It’s the latest show of disrespect from Republican legislators to Arizona teachers. Hardworking teachers already work long days, nights, and weekends educating our children. But Republicans think the American Dream is working multiple jobs to make ends meet,” the organization said, adding Republicans and Ducey have an “appalling track record of disrespecting Arizona educators and destroying our public schools.”
http://www.teachingdegree.org/arizona/salary/
Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, AZ $45,990
Prescott, AZ $40,870
Tucson, AZ $47,100
1) $47,000 must buy a heck of a lot in Arizona if a second job is the difference between a good life and a great life with "a boat!"
2) I can't speak for Arizona but the mean in Michigan is based on the fact that the upper end of spectrum has teachers in secondary school with PhDs and 35 years with of experience... usually pushing a little over six figures in the wealthiest districts. Which means for every one of the top paid top district teachers there are three starting teachers with a bachelor's making like $25,000 a year.

I'd say they don't care about our kid's futures but they don't care about your kid's futures. Just-us.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LordMortis wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:

Arizona:
http://www.teachingdegree.org/arizona/salary/
Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, AZ $45,990
Prescott, AZ $40,870
Tucson, AZ $47,100
1) $47,000 must buy a heck of a lot in Arizona if a second job is the difference between a good life and a great life with "a boat!"
2) I can't speak for Arizona but the mean in Michigan is based on the fact that the upper end of spectrum has teachers in secondary school with PhDs and 35 years with of experience... usually pushing a little over six figures in the wealthiest districts. Which means for every one of the top paid top district teachers there are three starting teachers with a bachelor's making like $25,000 a year.

I'd say they don't care about our kid's futures but they don't care about your kid's futures. Just-us.
The rep who said it is from Scottsdale (one of the wealthiest areas of Arizona, AFAIK)
The median annual Public School Teacher salary in Scottsdale, AZ is $52,792, as of May 30, 2017
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $55,114

Median Household Income $89,946

Average Household Income $134,498
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

[HUMOR]

I don't know if people have looked into The Onion's massive Trump document dump, but it is superb.

Here's the Bannon material, just for a taste.

[/HUMOR]
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Politico
Eighteen states and the District of Columbia filed suit against Education Secretary Betsy DeVos on Thursday over her delay of regulations meant to protect federal student loan borrowers defrauded by their schools.

The lawsuit filed in Federal District Court in D.C., led by Massachusetts and joined by 18 other Democratic attorneys general, accuses DeVos of illegally delaying the regulations aimed at predatory colleges, which were finalized by the Obama administration and had been set to take effect on July 1.

The rules, known as “borrower defense to repayment,” sought to make it easier for defrauded student loan borrowers to seek debt forgiveness. They also prohibit colleges from requiring students to resolve complaints against their school through arbitration rather than in court.

The Trump administration last month delayed implementation of the rules, citing a legal challenge by a California association representing for-profit colleges. DeVos said at the time the rule created “a muddled process that's unfair to students and schools, and puts taxpayers on the hook for significant costs.” The Education Department has said it will begin a process to rewrite the rules later this year.

Separately, consumer groups on Thursday filed a second legal challenge to the Trump administration’s delay of the regulations.

Public Citizen and Harvard Law School’s Project on Predatory Student Lending filed a lawsuit on behalf of two former students who claim they were defrauded by the New England Institute of Art, which is owned by the Education Management Corporation. The students say they want to sue that company but can’t because they signed an agreement to resolve any complaints through arbitration — an agreement that would have been banned by the regulations DeVos is delaying.

Both lawsuits argue that DeVos’ delay of the rules violates the Administrative Procedure Act and ask a federal court to order the administration to enforce the rules.
Congressional Republicans expressed concerns about the cost to taxpayers, but opted not to include the regulation as one of the many Obama-era rules they axed through a flurry of Congressional Review Act resolutions earlier this year.
malchior

Post by malchior »

:pray:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Perfect! My plan to get rich selling pencils with googly eyes glued to them is proceeding accordingly.
PLW

Post by PLW »

Just ignore him. He made a D in the Principles of Economics, and it shows. It's not like he'll ever be put in charge of anything important.
Last edited by PLW on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote:[HUMOR]

I don't know if people have looked into The Onion's massive Trump document dump, but it is superb.

Here's the Bannon material, just for a taste.

[/HUMOR]
God those are hilarious. :lol:

I love the Trump memo to Kellyanne Conway:

Trump: Little boy name???????

Conway: Barron

Trump: thanks
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Hey look, another person with zero experience in policy, governance, or even science has nominated for the head of a large government science division.
Sam Clovis, a former Trump campaign adviser and one-time conservative talk radio host, has no background in the hard sciences, nor any policy experience with food or agriculture. Still, that did not stop President Donald Trump from officially nominating Clovis to the position of the United States Department of Agriculture’s undersecretary of research, education, and economics, the agency’s top science position.
Must be a day ending in "y".
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta addresses occupational licensing reform
The growth of occupational licensing is part of a nationwide trend where we regulate, and regulate, and regulate.

In 1950, the Code of Federal Regulations ran about 10,000 pages long. Today it has ballooned to more than 180,000 pages.

In 1950, only about 1 in 20 jobs required a license. Today, more than 1 in 4 Americans need a license to legally perform their work.

Granted, many licenses have valid reasons, particularly when they focus on health and safety. Certifying skills and specialized knowledge helps consumers.

That is far different, however, from using licensing to limit competition, bar entry, or create a privileged class.

Excess licensing hinders the American workforce.

First, the cost and complexity of licensing creates an economic barrier for Americans seeking a job, especially for those with fewer financial resources.

Second, excessive licensing creates a barrier for Americans that move from state to state.

Third, excessive licensing creates a barrier for Americans looking to leverage technology and to expand their job opportunities.
:clap:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I agree on the face of it with the idea. He's going to run into a states' rights meatgrinder, as almost none of that is directly under his purview.

Facilitating reciprocity would be good. It certainly shouldn't generate as many issues as firearm carry laws have, and that's been done.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

DoJ
Attorney General Jeff Sessions’s internal announcement indicating that the Justice Department is seeking to curb affirmative action in a university admissions case has roused President Trump’s conservative base by seizing on a longtime grievance of the right at a moment when the administration is struggling to fulfill core Republican promises.

Sessions’s apparent intention to prohibit “intentional race-based discrimination” is also a window into the direction he is pulling the department’s Civil Rights Division in his effort to reverse Obama administration policies on a range of issues, including criminal justice, policing and voting rights.
Some Republican operatives also see the affirmative action initiative as a strategic play by the White House to rally middle-class and upper-middle-class white voters, especially as the Republican agenda on Capitol Hill has stalled.
Linda Chavez, the founder and chairman of the conservative Center for Equal Opportunity and the former head of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights under President Ronald Reagan, called opposition to race-based affirmative action “a long-standing conservative approach.”

“It isn’t just white students who are excluded,” Chavez said. “Probably the biggest group of people who are affected by this are Asian students. But, it also isn’t a service to the students who get admitted under those different qualifications because many of them struggle.”
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Betsy DeVos: The Era of Weaponized Title IX in Campus Rape Cases Is Over
In a major speech assailing the deprivation of due process protections under the Obama administration, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos will vow to rein in the federal guidance compelling colleges to adjudicate sexual assault disputes between students.
"The era of 'rule by letter' is over," her speech says, referencing the Obama-era Education Department's infamous "Dear Colleague" letter, which fundamentally changed the way schools handle sexual misconduct issues. "Through intimidation and coercion, the failed system has clearly pushed schools to overreach."
It has become apparent to many fair-minded legal experts—the American Association of University Professors, the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, and several members of the Harvard University Law faculty (including President Obama's personal mentor, Charles Ogletree)—that the current situation is morally, legally, and practically untenable. Thankfully, DeVos' speech signals that she intends to do what the Education Department should have done in the first place, six and a half years ago: subject its guidance to public scrutiny.

"We will seek public feedback and combine institutional knowledge, professional expertise and the experiences of students to replace the current approach with a workable, effective and fair system," the speech says.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Talk about over the top messaging here. This is why I roll my eyes at Reason so often. There are certainly issues with the guidance but the hand wringing over the legality of the letter itself is ridiculous. Are there due process issues? Probably but for something 'illegal' it seems amazing to me that over 6 years not one student has been able to bring a case successfully saying they were expelled wrongly under Title IX based on the guidance.

Instead there have been several suits that successfully argued that many institutions have failed to live up to their Title IX obligations during this period of time. That implies that despite these 'onerous requirements' the problem persists. IMO that's why we should welcome a re-examination of it. Especially if it works out to be a fairer system. However I have little faith that this is an honest effort versus yet another Obama did something so we are undoing it exercise.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

malchior wrote:Talk about over the top messaging here. This is why I roll my eyes at Reason so often. There are certainly issues with the guidance but the hand wringing over the legality of the letter itself is ridiculous. Are there due process issues? Probably but for something 'illegal' it seems amazing to me that over 6 years not one student has been able to bring a case successfully saying they were expelled wrongly under Title IX based on the guidance.

Instead there have been several suits that successfully argued that many institutions have failed to live up to their Title IX obligations during this period of time. That implies that despite these 'onerous requirements' the problem persists. IMO that's why we should welcome a re-examination of it. Especially if it works out to be a fairer system. However I have little faith that this is an honest effort versus yet another Obama did something so we are undoing it exercise.
A quick Google search says otherwise.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

By FIRE September 7, 2017
The announcement is both timely and vitally important. A study released Tuesday by the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education found that college students are routinely denied even the most basic elements of a fair hearing.

Eighty-five percent of America’s top universities receive a D or F grade for not consistently ensuring basic due process rights. For example, a shocking 74 percent of America’s top universities do not even explicitly guarantee accused students the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty. Fewer than half always require that fact-finders (the equivalent of the judge or jury) in campus hearings be impartial. And at more than half of top universities, students have even fewer due process protections in cases involving sexual misconduct than in cases that don’t.

“Colleges did not simply ‘forget’ obvious principles of fairness like impartiality, the presumption of innocence, and the right to confront one’s accuser: They were reacting to government policy that made it clear that sticking to these principles was a ticket to interminable and intrusive federal investigations,” said FIRE Executive Director Robert Shibley.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Moliere wrote:
malchior wrote:Probably but for something 'illegal' it seems amazing to me that over 6 years not one student has been able to bring a case successfully saying they were expelled wrongly under Title IX based on the guidance.
In other words, no one has tried to successfully challenge the guidance itself as illegal. Of course, they'll be a multitude of cases about due process issues in general which the linked seems to document. I was being very specific because there has been 6 years to get this monstrous illegal document challenged and yet again *oddly* no one has. Which is surprising if it was so obviously illegal. To go further it is almost like there is a recent pattern forming that Trump administration officials are claiming things as illegal preemptively. I'm sure they have top notch legal scholars on those determinations.
malchior

Post by malchior »

BTW - I agree that due process issues are a real problem. I literally sat on some of these star chambers in my time. I saw major problems with them that existed well before the Title IX guidance letter. However my thoughts are that this Title IX 'reform' is not driven by any desire to return to good governance. Instead it is culture war bullshit and anti-Obamaism. And that is a dubious reason to water down sexual violence protections. That is going to be a direct outcome of this potentially. So I reserve the right to be very skeptical that they have men and women's well-beings in mind and a desire to increase freedom; instead they likely are just stirring the pot for political gain.