ARK: Survival Evolved on Steam

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

mori

Re: ARK: Survival Evolved on Steam

Post by mori »

Damn Wyverns. Sorry Fretmute about getting your Quetz killed. I will get you another one. The Extinction Core mod is interesting. I wanted a reason to have to build walls and defenses for the base in the PvE world without assholes, but it does not really succeed in the Core Extinction mod. The tribesmen always spawn in the same space just like any creature, so they are easily avoided or contacted as the player sees fit. I would of wanted them to roam around a bit or spawn in a random locations.
mori

Post by mori »

Well Fretmute, we damn near got wiped. An Alpha Poison Wyvern flew over. It was doing 6k dps, nothing we had was going to stand up to that. The base is 25% destroyed and half the dinos dead. You still have your alpha sabre and alpha anky. It was gone after it killed me and I respawned.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

mori wrote:Well Fretmute, we damn near got wiped. An Alpha Poison Wyvern flew over. It was doing 6k dps, nothing we had was going to stand up to that. The base is 25% destroyed and half the dinos dead. You still have your alpha sabre and alpha anky. It was gone after it killed me and I respawned.
I saw late last night, but was too gassed to begin repairs. Nothing much you can do about a tough alpha.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:coffee: ARK: Survival Evolved Price Jumps
The price of ARK- Survival Evolved on Steam has just doubled, and is now $59.99. This is bust-out retail pricing, in spite of the game remaining an early access title. The Ark Twitter account explains this is to match up with the impending retail release: "ARK: Survival Evolved has increased its price on Steam to ensure retail parity for the upcoming launch." This recent post reveals when to expect this, saying the official full release of the dinosaur survival game is coming on August 8th.
Ark: Twitter
Spoiler:
STEAM page
Ain't nobody got time for that
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I fixed up the base and added an outer shell of walls on top and bottom. I imagine in the grand scheme of things there's just not all that much that can be done about an alpha wyvern unless you build a spire with 25 turrets on it. Still though, I like the look of where that base is and I'm not going to be chased out of it.
mori

Post by mori »

I moved some dinos to my more secure secondary base while you were undergoing the rebuild. I will bring some of them back as they are of no use to me at my location and will be much more useful at your main base. It will be interesting to see what you have done with the remodel. I still have to put some finishing touches on the secondary base, and I have to start a water base. Just started to explore the sea. The map designers do not appear to have done much underwater yet besides a couple areas.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Strange request, but does anyone here have a PVP Official base that could help my tribe out? We got wiped on 3 servers and everything we own is now on the Ark. We literally have hours until it expires. These guys continue to double check all our former servers to wipe everything out. We need a place to park dinos for a day or two until we can throw up a basic base.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
mori

Post by mori »

KDH wrote:...

:coffee: ARK: Survival Evolved Price Jumps
The price of ARK- Survival Evolved on Steam has just doubled, and is now $59.99. This is bust-out retail pricing, in spite of the game remaining an early access title. The Ark Twitter account explains this is to match up with the impending retail release: "ARK: Survival Evolved has increased its price on Steam to ensure retail parity for the upcoming launch." This recent post reveals when to expect this, saying the official full release of the dinosaur survival game is coming on August 8th.
Ark: Twitter
Spoiler:
STEAM page
They have a lot of work to do in a month before they can justify AAA money.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Have they done that work? Is the game worth $60? Are you guys still playing?
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I guess now that it has released I should play it again? Steam, says I played 89 hours. I probably got my money's worth already, though I can't be sure as I have no idea what I paid. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Apparently there are a bunch of new server types, but I don't understand them. What's TEK for example?
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Tek_Tier

It appears to be a set of high tech equipment. Probably servers that start at that level or allow that level?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

coopasonic wrote:https://ark.gamepedia.com/Tek_Tier

It appears to be a set of high tech equipment. Probably servers that start at that level or allow that level?
I assume allow. You need to farm bosses to get the material to sustain it, and that's only feasible for giant tribes or custom servers with boosted rates.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

By the way, you can still get a refund if you have more than 2 hours played on this because it just came out of Early Access (this might be a new thing???). So don't play it more than 2 hours if you might want to refund.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Lorini wrote:Have they done that work? Is the game worth $60? Are you guys still playing?
I do not think it is worth $60 as many multiplayer core game play issues remain. I think a person has to be a gluten for punishment to play on an official PvP server. I guess msduncan plays on those so you can read his posts about his experience as nothing has changed since then. I think one Steam reviewer described it best: "Sociopaths have found a home, and that is Ark official servers."

With that said, I played this game a lot and will get back to it now that it has been officially released. Just about all that in single player or on Fretmute's private servers. I enjoy building, exploring, taming animals, breeding, and the game remains challenging enough until you get some very powerful dinosaurs. Deaths and loses still occur from time to time. I do not need the competition of PvP. That is not my cup of tea.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I have 200 hours in and really enjoyed my time with it however I paid about £20 so am happy with that wouldn't be paying £50+ for it though.

Also most enjoyment was playing on a server with peeps from Qt3 and OO not into the PvP side at all.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Fret - do you currently have a server going? I've been thinking about starting up again.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Cylus Maxii wrote:Fret - do you currently have a server going? I've been thinking about starting up again.
Two, actually. You'll have to dig up earlier in the thread for the IPs, though, or wait for me to get home to look them up.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Fretmute wrote:
Cylus Maxii wrote:Fret - do you currently have a server going? I've been thinking about starting up again.
Two, actually. You'll have to dig up earlier in the thread for the IPs, though, or wait for me to get home to look them up.
I'm at work too. I'm just thinking about it right now.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

We got in fine. DiverDan and I are playing. Mori gave me an invite and later dropped off a flyer when I was out. Thanks!
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

darwevo has also joined us. He's another RL long-time friend of mine wha has never played ARK before. He's loving it. We've been having fun trying to survive with all the mod mobs, but its a lot of fun. I think we're to the point where we all have pteranadons now and are just getting into farming. I think we will start exploring more and find a better base-building spot.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

mori wrote:I think a person has to be a gluten for punishment to play on an official PvP server.
Would you play it if they were to announce a version that was gluten free? :P
Covfefe!
mori

Post by mori »

Cylus Maxii wrote:darwevo has also joined us. He's another RL long-time friend of mine wha has never played ARK before. He's loving it. We've been having fun trying to survive with all the mod mobs, but its a lot of fun. I think we're to the point where we all have pteranadons now and are just getting into farming. I think we will start exploring more and find a better base-building spot.
I cannot find the Discord server you guys are using.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

mori wrote:I cannot find the Discord server you guys are using.
HERE
mori

Post by mori »

Cylus Maxii wrote:
mori wrote:I cannot find the Discord server you guys are using.
HERE
Thanks.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Having trouble getting into the Ragnarok server this afternoon. Looks like some of the mods updated today and are out of sync with the server. Hopefully it will auto-update and apply when the server reboots tonight. As of now I can't log in.
mori

Post by mori »

Cylus Maxii wrote:Having trouble getting into the Ragnarok server this afternoon. Looks like some of the mods updated today and are out of sync with the server. Hopefully it will auto-update and apply when the server reboots tonight. As of now I can't log in.
Yea that is the problem running mods. If one mod updates you cannot get on. Just have to be patient. I believe Fret has his server set to update and restart every morning at 9 AM CDT. So if an update drops later in the day...

Speaking of patience, I logged in Friday night and noticed a Basilosaurus in the same area I noticed him a couple weeks earlier. It is in a prime location so I decided to go for a tame. Got one of my Megalodons and cleared the area of other Megalodons and rays. Came back with kibble and proceeded to do the passive tame. I waited around for an hour and it still was not hungry and gave up and went to bed. Came back Saturday afternoon to give it another go. It still is not hungry from my original effort! With the server settings, this may take a real life week to tame this creature. If you guys come on he is west of Fret's base, north of my sea base in the protected bay. He takes Therizinosaurus kibble. Feed him if he is hungry please.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I get notifications from Tapatalk, so if you guys can't get on and shoot me a PM (or post in this thread) I can typically reboot it remotely via phone.
Jamesgoole

ARK Survival Evolved on Steam

Post by Jamesgoole »

Hi there
Some games A.I.M. Racing, Street of Moscow etc. in the Build 1C MegaBundle didnt have any Steam keys by the time it was sold on Groupees. Will 1C provide Steam keys for them?

Thanx
Papa Smurph

Post by Papa Smurph »

Anyone still playing this? I just got it (late, I know) and was just curious.
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

My son and I still play this quite often. We have it setup to run a dedicated server in the background on either of our computers and then join the game. Mine runs the Island and his does Ragnarok. Currently Ragnarok is the buzz, but it is hard to give up on our progress on the Island. It is nice to have your own server and turn it off when you're not using it, but we do sometimes try other servers.

My take is that they are definitely continuing support for the game. Even though we haven't purchased any of the non-free expansions, the game is getting updates regularly. I don't think I'd enjoy playing it much alone, but playing with my son has made it awesome. Enjoy.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I haven't played it this year. I bought the new xpac in December and was waiting for it to get a few updates before diving in again. But I will probably try to get a new server setup this fall sometime and play it again this winter.
Papa Smurph

Post by Papa Smurph »

Well, let me know if you start playing again. I am not finding the game very compelling to play by myself! :oops:
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

You folks still playing this? It's free this week so downloading now.
Black Lives Matter
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

The new expansion dropped today, so I’ll probably convert the server and start anew.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

It's a private server right? I've heard bad things about public servers.
Black Lives Matter
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Absolutely. I’ve never even set foot on a public server. It is kinda lonely, though. The largest real simultaneous presence thus far has been two.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Can you please repost the server info? I shutdown my Island server.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Address: 64.94.95.66:27051
Password: mute

The new map seems pretty slick, from what I've seen of it, which is admittedly not much.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lorini wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:25 pm It's a private server right? I've heard bad things about public servers.
Just for the record, for Lorini. If Fret is switching to the expansion map, that's unlikely to be available for the free to play weekend.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter