Carpet_pissr

Re: Diablo 3 Impressions

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Got it! Thanks for explaining.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lorini wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:Wow, 6 times? To clarify, it's the same content and levels/maps every time, right? Again I feel like I am missing something. Procedural generation? :D
You are thinking of the campaign. No one that I know of plays the campaign.
Except Skinypupy.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote:
Lorini wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:Wow, 6 times? To clarify, it's the same content and levels/maps every time, right? Again I feel like I am missing something. Procedural generation? :D
Except Skinypupy.
Yup. I find that I get bored with the random grind of Adventure mode pretty quickly. The sense of progression as I'm advancing through the story is very satisfying for me, for whatever reason.

I generally spend a week or two playing through the campaign with a different class each year, then put it aside until I feel the itch again.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

That makes sense.

I play it completely differently. It's more of a "play for 15-30 minutes". Run a few rifts... Complete a bounty or two....

I tend to focus on goals. With the Seasons, the goals are 1) level to 70; 2) figure out the gear set; 3) knock out Slayer, or maybe the next level... or see if I can beat the Set Dungeon.

At any rate, I play it more as short spurts to try and get specific goals accomplished.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Skinypupy wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
Lorini wrote:
Except Skinypupy.
Yup. I find that I get bored with the random grind of Adventure mode pretty quickly. The sense of progression as I'm advancing through the story is very satisfying for me, for whatever reason.

I generally spend a week or two playing through the campaign with a different class each year, then put it aside until I feel the itch again.
But you do the campaign once. Then why ever play the game again??? I'm missing something here :)
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Skinypupy wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
Lorini wrote:
Except Skinypupy.

I'm with you Skinypuppy. That's how I play too.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I didn't mean anything as a criticism by the way, just curious what can be gotten out of the campaign by playing it more than once.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Lorini wrote:I didn't mean anything as a criticism by the way, just curious what can be gotten out of the campaign by playing it more than once.
I'm not into the game for the long haul. Taking 20-30 hours to run a new character from a measly level 1 wimp to a level 70 badass (relatively) is just about the right amount of Diablo 3 for me. The campaign gives me the perfect amount of time to do exactly that, and feels more interesting to me than simply running a neverending series of random bounties.

To be honest though, I don't have a ton of experience with Adventure mode. I've only really tried it after I got to 70 on my Barb, and got bored rather quickly. Maybe there's some advantage to running Adventure mode that I'm simply not aware of.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Lorini wrote:I didn't mean anything as a criticism by the way, just curious what can be gotten out of the campaign by playing it more than once.
For me at least, you kind of answered the question. As I wrote above, very very few games, especially considering the amount of top notch games I have yet to play, would prompt me to play them through more than once, new character, or not.

As good as Diablo 1 and 2 were, (and I loved them), I was "satisfied" after having put in the hours playing through the campaigns in each game as mentioned by Skinypuppy. For me (and not just Diablo), I consider some kind of campaign or story arc to be 'the game'. Extra and/or random maps are great (but I rarely if ever play them), but I guess I assume the devs put most of their effort into the campaign.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Just completed my first necromancer set. Playing with the blood set. It's a lot of fun. Gotta be careful not to kill yourself, but it "feels" like how a necromancer build should be.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

TheMix wrote:Just completed my first necromancer set. Playing with the blood set. It's a lot of fun. Gotta be careful not to kill yourself, but it "feels" like how a necromancer build should be.
Adventure mode is how you get the neat sets in the game which is why I play it. The time you play is the time you play, I'd just rather use it to get new stuff.

I understand now. However I would suggest looking at what's available in Adventure mode on the Diablo site.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Lorini wrote:
TheMix wrote:Just completed my first necromancer set. Playing with the blood set. It's a lot of fun. Gotta be careful not to kill yourself, but it "feels" like how a necromancer build should be.
Adventure mode is how you get the neat sets in the game which is why I play it. The time you play is the time you play, I'd just rather use it to get new stuff.

I understand now. However I would suggest looking at what's available in Adventure mode on the Diablo site.
I agree. I'm on your side. :wink:

My preferred method is to take my monk, and then run through Greater Rifts to get shards. She can destroy a T12 equivalent GR (I think that's a GR60) in about 6 minutes without breaking a sweat. She could jump to a T13 equivalent pretty easily, but I find that the rewards for the higher GR aren't enough to warrant the extra time for the clear. I think it takes 3-4 of those to get me 1000+ shards. Then I switch to whatever character I'm working on and start buying.

Though with the necromancer, I did do a bit of set item re-rolling to speed things up.

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I bought the DLC, leveled the Necro to 70 via Adventure Mode, ran a couple challenge rifts, got bored and moved on.

I guess I just don't get the point of it after max level. You go from a constant stream of upgrades to a slow trickle. The gameplay isn't fun enough to make up for that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I have a couple of some loose "goals".

One, I'm working on getting every power in the cube. I was done with a couple of the classes, and working on the other ones. Obviously, the Necromancer added a bunch of new ones.

Two, I'm working on getting a "valid" build for every class set. I'll probably end up just using one or two of the sets (since I have a two characters for each class - or will eventually). I've been using the guides on IcyVeins.

Three, I'd like to have every character/build able to handle at least T10. Or at least one build per character.

Four, I'll probably keep doing Seasons. At least until I've got all the sets.

Black Lives Matter

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Carpet_pissr wrote:And if I SHOULD play it again for some reason, after this initial experience, does that mean I should not be selling anything I can't use for my current character? Save it for some future content and/or different character class?
Any comments on this before I start mass selling? :D
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:And if I SHOULD play it again for some reason, after this initial experience, does that mean I should not be selling anything I can't use for my current character? Save it for some future content and/or different character class?
?? The auction house is long gone, is that what you're talking about?

icy-veins.com has builds which is what most avid players use to figure out what they want to do with a class. Note that the inarius necro build is being nerfed before seasons but should still be good, just not best in class necessarily.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

coopasonic wrote:I bought the DLC, leveled the Necro to 70 via Adventure Mode, ran a couple challenge rifts, got bored and moved on.

I guess I just don't get the point of it after max level. You go from a constant stream of upgrades to a slow trickle. The gameplay isn't fun enough to make up for that.
Are you gambling with blood shards? Are you using the Cube? Are you using the Transmogrifier lady to improve your drops? That's all part of the game now. I don't know that this is a game where you play a couple of hours and you're done. If that's what you are looking for, probably time to move on.

Although don't move on to Path of Exile, far more complicated than D3.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Does "gambling with blood shards" mean spending them with Kadara? yellow-yellow-yellow-yellow... ok this is not helping
Using the cube - I don't know what to do with it or why I would
Transmog lady - you mean rerolling useless stats? To get more useless stats...

Basically, for me, the game just turns into nothing in the end game. Bounties and Rifts are the only structured play. Everything else seems like busy work and has no payoff except more of the same. It just doesn't work for me. I guess I am just relearning that lesson.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Too many unknowns.

Gems: I only save the ones that drop after 60 (I think). Marquise and Imperial? I always make sure to convert anything above those to Flawless Royals. That minimizes the bank space that I need. I generally try to keep a couple of copies of each of the Legendary gems. But you probably aren't there yet.

Gear: For Legendary, I keep a few things...
1) Follower trinkets that prevent them from dying. Though you may want to initially keep any follower trinkets.
2) A "row" of amulets and a "row" of rings for each: STR, INT, DEX. This helps when gearing up followers for a different stat. i.e. When running a mage, you may want a Templar, but he's going to need STR stuff... which isn't going to be dropping.
3) Ancient versions of useful items. Though this may be a hard one since, unless you are running a lot of characters, the stats on the times are probably not going to be helpful (e.g. INT on a shield).
4) Follower weapons - 1h STR weapons, STR shields, 2h DEX bows/crossbows, 2h INT weapons.
5) Set pieces

Now, I used to keep a lot more. But now that I've played so much, I have a really good handle on the leveling part. So I don't keep much for that. You may still find it worth while. For example, I used to keep a lot of different Legendary weapons with 'level requirement' reductions. This allowed me to equip a level 70 weapon, for example, at level 40 (with a 30 level requirement reduction). That makes a HUGE difference. (To be honest, I actually used to keep Rare items with that as well.)

But when I started collecting Sets for all the classes... well, I had to clear out a lot of stuff to make room. I still have a few things (e.g. I kept the hamburgers that dropped), but mostly I got rid of everything.

Black Lives Matter

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Played a bunch with my daughter this weekend. Lots of mindless fun. I'm not really loving my character, but I'm too far in to do a restart now. We're trying to beat it before the next season starts. She's playing as the Wizard and OMFG it's so much cooler than my barb. :( I think I might try a Monk for the season. It seems a bit more involved than the barb. And a punch that makes people explode can't not be fun. ;)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Did you get the Necromancer? Because casting blood nova practically makes me giggle. Especially when I get nova spam going.

Black Lives Matter

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

coopasonic wrote:Does "gambling with blood shards" mean spending them with Kadara? yellow-yellow-yellow-yellow... ok this is not helping
Using the cube - I don't know what to do with it or why I would
Transmog lady - you mean rerolling useless stats? To get more useless stats...

Basically, for me, the game just turns into nothing in the end game. Bounties and Rifts are the only structured play. Everything else seems like busy work and has no payoff except more of the same. It just doesn't work for me. I guess I am just relearning that lesson.
Yeah it's time to move on for you. The game is a random loot fest. It's not really a strategy game and it's not really for casual gaming. Being able to be beat GR 50 is my goal for next season, I will work on getting stuff, and changing stuff, and gambling for stuff as the season goes along.
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I got the 6-piece Inarius set bonus on my Necromancer but I'm missing most other pieces that make it "tick", and I didn't really have time to play around with it after I got it, so not sure yet if I'm going to try and improve it or just wait until next season starts, since it will award Rathma's set.

Got my DH to GR 65 with the Shadow Impale build, but hit a wall at GR 66.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

TheMix wrote:Did you get the Necromancer? Because casting blood nova practically makes me giggle. Especially when I get nova spam going.
Nah I'll grab that later. I still haven't even played half of the original characters.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I really liked the monk, witch doctor, and demon hunter. I kind of liked the wizard; but I found it to be a struggle at harder levels. I liked the barbarian for a while, but then lost interest. And I haven't found a crusader build yet that clicks. I'm gearing up to try running with thorns...

Actually, I just remembered the Steed build. It's a ton of fun. It's a farming build, though, not a progression build.

Another really fun farming build is the Speedy Chicken. First few times I hated it, but now it's become one of my favorites.

Black Lives Matter

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Lorini wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:
No, and I am not sure I'm even asking the right question. Heh. I thought I remembered in previous Diablos...people hanging on to decent loot instead of wanton selling, just for future playthroughs (I assume as different classes). Does that still work here?

Example, to clarify further:
I have rolled a Monk and enjoying it so far - playing in the campaign. One of the first things I find is a Platinum Reciprocating Saw +6, but it's only for....barbarians. Should I save that for any reason (seasons, rifts, etc whatever you guys say is currently the best part of the game), or OK to sell at this point?

Hope that is clear.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Lorini wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:
No, and I am not sure I'm even asking the right question. Heh. I thought I remembered in previous Diablos...people hanging on to decent loot instead of wanton selling, just for future playthroughs (I assume as different classes). Does that still work here?

Example, to clarify further:
I have rolled a Monk and enjoying it so far - playing in the campaign. One of the first things I find is a Platinum Reciprocating Saw +6, but it's only for....barbarians. Should I save that for any reason (seasons, rifts, etc whatever you guys say is currently the best part of the game), or OK to sell at this point?

Hope that is clear.
I always chose to play so only what my character finds s/he gets to keep. Makes it a bit more challenging. Of course, I've never tried to do crazy high end stuff - I only have 3 Level 70s - the rest are still trying to get there.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

If you think that you are going to play other characters, then I strongly encourage saving Set pieces that drop.

There are some items that are required for specific builds. If one of those drops and you sell it, then you may end up regretting it. Of course, you can always get another eventually.

Remember that Ancient versions are more rare. And better. So I'd definitely think before getting rid of one of those.

Oh... and always "cube" something before getting rid of it. That is, if you don't already have the ability that the item provides stored in your cube, then you should probably extract the power. Just in case.

One more thing, you may want to think about breaking down legendary items for the crafting material instead of selling.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

On a related note, if there is anyone that is level 70 and having problems with gold, I'd be happy to run you through Greed to pick up Boon of the Hoarder, assuming that you don't have it. I have a bunch of Puzzle Rings saved.

Black Lives Matter

Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

TheMix wrote:Oh... and always "cube" something before getting rid of it. That is, if you don't already have the ability that the item provides stored in your cube, then you should probably extract the power. Just in case.
Dang!. I quit playing before the cube came out. Now I know whats it's for.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Cube is awesome. And definitely a game changer. It essentially lets you run with 3 additional "powers". Of course, it requires that you have useful powers available to use. :D

Black Lives Matter

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

TheMix wrote:Cube is awesome. And definitely a game changer. It essentially lets you run with 3 additional "powers". Of course, it requires that you have useful powers available to use. :D
Yes agreed. It let you get better without being so RNG dependent. Gear that had one good thing on it became important instead of a throwaway.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Diablo 3 proves Ive lost my mind. I know for a fact I played and beat the normal campaign and the addon Reaper of Souls. But here I am playing reaper again and dont remember ANY of it. And it wasn't long ago I finished it.

I guess the one saving grace of a lost mind is old games are new again. Saves money.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Of course I get a goblin floor in the very first rift I play, as the first thing I do on my seasonal character. I actually took a few of the buggers out, but the drops aren't very exciting at level 5. :D

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Sudy Nym wrote:Of course I get a goblin floor in the very first rift I play, as the first thing I do on my seasonal character. I actually took a few of the buggers out, but the drops aren't very exciting at level 5. :D
:lol:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Two days into the season and my season character is by far my best character ever. I started a wizard because I never played one past level 12. Now she is a total wrecking ball. I completed all 4 chapters of the Journey and am doing stuff on Torment VII to complete the next goal they give after completing Chapter IV. I have the damage to go even higher, but not the durability. The wizard Tal Rasha set is ridiculous and could be more ridiculous if I changed my skills to match.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I reran Reaper with my Demon Hunter and it was a bloodbath for the enemies. Deleted afterwards. Dont plan to return to D3 unless I get the Necro i want so bad. But I can afford only one game barring anything coming up so next month I hope to get Horizon Zero Dawn. I think its a worthy item to spend money on.

But I want that Necro too one day.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I made a few runs at the Tal Rasha set dungeon with my wizard... hmmm... I think I might be done for the season. I just googled it and a season is three months!?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

So, I've never been into the gear set thing in these Diablo (and clones) games.

Do you really just grind and grind and grind until some random (or not random?) mob drops the set pieces you are after? Is there some kind of strategy involved?
There is no hug button. Sad!
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

killbot737 wrote:So, I've never been into the gear set thing in these Diablo (and clones) games.

Do you really just grind and grind and grind until some random (or not random?) mob drops the set pieces you are after? Is there some kind of strategy involved?
That's the benefit of playing a season - you are guaranteed a full set after completing the requirements (which are, for the most part, not hard).

Beyond that - reward caches from bounties and end loot from regular rifts has a much better chance of containing set items, especially on higher difficulty levels. Rifts also reward you blood shards, which you can spend buying stuff from Kadala - but that's a very poor gamble. Also, you can upgrade rare items at Kanai's cube, and usually you will get legendaries from it, but sometimes it'll give you set items.