News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

AWS260

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by AWS260 »

This is a pretty cool essay by one of the GLOW actors.

What It's Like to Have Pea-Sized Confidence With Watermelon-Sized Boobs
Zarathud

Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Zarathud »

Watched the first season of GLOW. Very interesting show, and the end of each episode was pretty compelling.

They really messed with Allison Brie's character.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Ozarks, starring Jason Bateman and Laura Linney, premieres July 21st.

Trailer

Put me down as intrigued.

The reviews I've seen look pretty solid.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I will watch literally anything with Jason Bateman in it. Yes, that includes Office Christmas Party and Horrible Bosses 2.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hell, I watched Silver Spoons back in the day simply because Jason Bateman was often on it.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

He's one of a few comedic actors who has ONE shtick (uber snarky asshole), that never gets old with me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He's actually changed his style quite a lot. When he first started (as a kid actor) he was the smart ass. The snarky kid who was always scheming. Always trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes. Now he's the schlub, the good guy who can't win.
Covfefe!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I watched season 1 of Castlevania. It's decent but WAY too short. Only 4 episodes and each of them are about 23 minutes long.

The animation is great and the story line is mature, I just wish there was more.
FTE
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Scraper wrote:I watched season 1 of Castlevania. It's decent but WAY too short. Only 4 episodes and each of them are about 23 minutes long.

The animation is great and the story line is mature, I just wish there was more.
Agreed. What I've read is that it was initially presented as a movie, but Netflix wanted bingeable episodes. Season 2 is already greenlit and will get twice the episode count. Still will be short, but at least it's coming.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

i usually avoid video game tie ins like the plague, but i'll have to give this a shot if you guys like it so much.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote:i usually avoid video game tie ins like the plague, but i'll have to give this a shot if you guys like it so much.
I mean, I'm not claiming it was the second coming of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!, but it was pretty enjoyable nonetheless.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No, no...you've already committed. If it's not the greatest thing since the invention of pomade, I will hold you personally responsible.
Covfefe!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Stranger Things 2 coming on 10/27.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote:No, no...you've already committed. If it's not the greatest thing since the invention of pomade, I will hold you personally responsible.
What are your thoughts on the Old Spice offerings?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Old Spice Fiji. I love it. Get it.
Covfefe!
nasai

Post by nasai »

Moliere wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:So much yelling. It's fantastic. :D
Bill Burr is one of my favorite comedians, but by Season 2 this repetition of angry dad is getting to be too much.
I watched 10 minutes of it and deleted it from my queue. I love Bill Burr, but absolutely abhor F is for Family. Not going back either. You can't convince me.
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think some of you got yelled at as kids and F is For Family is hitting too close to home. :D

But seriously - his wife is awesome. His prog-rock obsesses son? Awesome. DJ neighbor? Awesome.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

hepcat wrote:Old Spice Fiji. I love it. Get it.
I don't want Old Spice goddammit, I'm a Suavecito man!

...so bummed I missed out on the Summer '17 edition...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Damn, I think I see my next tattoo.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

With your luck, the artist will think you said Whopperito.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

God knows getting another tattoo of a whopper would be embarrassing.
Covfefe!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I put in 25 hours of overtime when I was in Grade 11 to pay for this one...

They subsidized half the cost because I kept forgetting how to make them... :oops:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Bright

Sci-fi cop movie starring Will Smith, Noomi Rapace, and Joel Edgerton.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Captain Caveman wrote:Ozarks, starring Jason Bateman and Laura Linney, premieres July 21st.

Trailer

This is out today. Here's a new trailer showing a lot more of the plot/content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA3mQaU-LnI

Looks pretty interesting. Who'll dive in and report back?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Captain Caveman wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:Ozarks, starring Jason Bateman and Laura Linney, premieres July 21st.

Trailer

This is out today. Here's a new trailer showing a lot more of the plot/content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA3mQaU-LnI

That trailer looked good and I need a show to replace that other show with good family members going bad, Bloodline.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I feel like I've posted this elsewhere already, so if it's a dupe, please excuse.

If you like Louis CK and/or are not easily offended, I highly recommend the Netflix produced latest standup by him. The last one I saw on HBO was mediocre at best. In fact it was so unfunny I thought he lost it completely, and maybe was having some serious mental issues (can be argued that he has those anyway, based on his nihilistic, dark as hell comedy, which I think does in a way reflect his actual thoughts).

This one is called Louis CK 2017.

It's both hilarious and horrifying. It's also IMO his best standup show by far. Horrifying in that he has NO boundaries, or filter, and in fact starts the show with an abortion joke probably just to let people know upfront that he's not fucking around when it comes to typically sensitive material. :D

In fact, even for me, I was thinking during several bits, "my God, I see older people there...I can't imagine being in the same room almost with another person while this is on, much less a parent!"

Oh, and he's wearing a SUIT! Louis CK, the slob of comedy, in a suit! :D

https://www.netflix.com/title/80161109
stessier

Post by stessier »

Thanks for the review. I had the same reaction to his last one and so was just going to skip this one. I'll check it out.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

$iljanus wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:

Trailer

That trailer looked good and I need a show to replace that other show with good family members going bad, Bloodline.
We will be watching this when we can get to it. Saw the trailer and looked interesting.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

stessier wrote:Thanks for the review. I had the same reaction to his last one and so was just going to skip this one. I'll check it out.
Curious to know what you think after you watch it.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

News from netflix, Matt Groening has signed on to do an animated series for them. From the info provided, it's going to be similar to Futurama, only in a medieval fantasy setting.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/futuramas- ... at-netflix

Yeah, Im in!
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

We just binge watched Ozarks this weekend and man oh man, it's good.

Has that Breaking Bad vibe to it. Family man involved in criminal activities but you root for him anyways.

Oh yeah!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Xmann wrote:We just binge watched Ozarks this weekend and man oh man, it's good.
Thoughts?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mindhunter

Set in the 70s it appears. Studying serial killers.

How do we get ahead of crazy if we don’t know how crazy thinks? Two FBI agents (Jonathan Groff & Holt McCallany) set out on a sinister investigative odyssey to discover the brutal answers. MINDHUNTER. Coming to Netflix, October 13, 2017.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Daehawk wrote:Mindhunter

Set in the 70s it appears. Studying serial killers.

How do we get ahead of crazy if we don’t know how crazy thinks? Two FBI agents (Jonathan Groff & Holt McCallany) set out on a sinister investigative odyssey to discover the brutal answers. MINDHUNTER. Coming to Netflix, October 13, 2017.
That looks excellent and with David Fincher running the show, there's a really good chance it will be. I'll be catching this one for sure.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Watched two great films from Netflix recently.

First up is Mindhorn, a British comedy starring Julian Barratt.
When a twisted killer tells the police he'll only speak to a fictional 1980s TV detective, the washed-up actor who played him takes the gig.
It's pretty damn great. The main character is just so sincere and likeable, you have to root for him even when he's clearly being a jackass. I laughed out loud more than once at this one.

Next up was the critical darling Okja.
A gentle giant and the girl who raised her are caught in the crossfire between animal activism, corporate greed and scientific ethics.
A cautionary tale in the form of a children's story that turns decidedly adult within the first half hour, it's getting rave reviews. It's a Korean film, but it's mostly in English. South Korean director Bong Joon Ho is becoming one of my absolute favorite foreign filmmakers. He's made The Host, Snowpiercer, Mother, and Memories of a Murder...all of which I can't recommend enough.
Covfefe!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Netflix is reported to be swimming in $20 billion of debt
Netflix are said to be $20.54 billion in debt, according to the L.A. Times, but the streaming company have hit back, saying the story “inaccurately calculates our debt”.

The company released a statement saying that their $15.7 billion of streaming obligations doesn’t count as debt, as it’s “future content expenses that roll through the income statement over time”.

It might come as a surprise, but some of Netflix’s most famous shows are actually licensed from other companies – for undisclosed fees – despite being labelled ‘Netflix Originals’. ‘House of Cards‘ is made by Media Rights Capital, ‘Orange is the New Black‘ is produced by Lionsgate and ‘The Crown’ comes from Sony Pictures Television.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

AWS260 wrote:This is a pretty cool essay by one of the GLOW actors.

What It's Like to Have Pea-Sized Confidence With Watermelon-Sized Boobs
She isn't nearly as endowed as a Christina Hendricks. I would rate her more cantaloupe than watermelon.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Xmann wrote:We just binge watched Ozarks this weekend and man oh man, it's good.

Has that Breaking Bad vibe to it. Family man involved in criminal activities but you root for him anyways.

Oh yeah!
Watched the first episode last night and really enjoyed it. However, it was a bit far fetched that a drug lord was able to toss a man off a high rise building in downtown Chicago...and then hang out and have an extended conversation with someone in the victim's apartment. Apparently Chicago police have given up enforcing the law in that area.

But Bateman is just fantastic playing a disenfranchised family man who wants out...but can't bring himself to do so.
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote:

Oh yeah!
Watched the first episode last night and really enjoyed it. However, it was a bit far fetched that a drug lord was able to toss a man off a high rise building in downtown Chicago...and then hang out and have an extended conversation with someone in the victim's apartment. Apparently Chicago police have given up enforcing the law in that area.

But Bateman is just fantastic playing a disenfranchised family man who wants out...but can't bring himself to do so.
I thought the whole premise was contrived and forced. It all comes to light in such a fast, violent manner and then is resolved just as quickly with such a flimsy and easily accepted proposition.
Not bailing yet as I hope the worst is over and the rest settles in better.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I watched Okja last night. Really good movie but man does it get hard to watch near the end. I can't think of any movie that has made me reconsider eating meat more strongly and the pigs weren't even real!
Black Lives Matter