Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Re: Amazon TV/Movies

Post by McNutt »

Do you really fast forward through entire subplots? I've never done that, but maybe I would have liked The Sopranos more if I had. So long, Dr. Melfi.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

McNutt wrote:Do you really fast forward through entire subplots? I've never done that, but maybe I would have liked The Sopranos more if I had. So long, Dr. Melfi.
Of almost every show.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Serious question - sometimes crappy subplots have important tie ins later on. Do you go back and watch them, read up on them, or just accept that you missed out on it?
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

McNutt wrote:Do you really fast forward through entire subplots? I've never done that, but maybe I would have liked The Sopranos more if I had. So long, Dr. Melfi.
What?! The scenes with Dr. Melfi were great! That relationship was the heartbeat of the show. (the mob stuff was cool too)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

McNutt wrote:Serious question - sometimes crappy subplots have important tie ins later on. Do you go back and watch them, read up on them, or just accept that you missed out on it?
Not usually. Too many things in the queue. If it was important enough I will hear about it in a random article or OO thread.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
tgb

Post by tgb »

How are you guys who have cut the cable managing to skip commercials? I find myself forced to watch more ads now than I ever did when I relied on DirecTV and a DVR.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Where are you watching shows that show commercials? I don't use Hulu because they have unskippable ones. Netflix and Amazon are commercial free. HBO Now has something right at the beginning, but it is self promotion that I don't find too objectionable.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
tgb

Post by tgb »

stessier wrote:Where are you watching shows that show commercials? I don't use Hulu because they have unskippable ones. Netflix and Amazon are commercial free. HBO Now has something right at the beginning, but it is self promotion that I don't find too objectionable.
I pay a couple of dollars extra to get Hulu commercial-free, but just about every network available via Sling has unskippable commercials
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ahhh, for networks, I'm OTA with a Tivo DVR.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Captain Caveman wrote:
What?! The scenes with Dr. Melfi were great! That relationship was the heartbeat of the show. (the mob stuff was cool too)
I know that was the center of the show and was pretty well done. I just found it really boring. Of course I thought the Sopranos had entire seasons that were boring, so keep that in mind. When it was great it was great. It just wasn't great most of the time.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

tgb wrote:Anyone else check out American Playboy? It's the Hef story told in a weird mix of documentary footage and re-enactments.

It's ok, but I'll be watching it for the articles.
Wife and I watched it all over the past few weeks. I thought it was really well done and speaking of articles, I think I'd be interested in a book that rounds up all of the culturally or historically significant articles and interviews they published over the years. Some of the history I remember because Playboy was always big news here; a lot of it was before my time and no less fascinating.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Last edited by Isgrimnur on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Thanks, it's the ones from the '60's I'm most interested in, when the magazine was very much embroiled in the cultural revolution.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Snow Crash, Lazarus, Ringworld
Neal Stephenson’s Snow Crash is one of the great unadapted novels of modern science fiction, right up there with its granddaddy in the cyberpunk genre, William Gibson’s Neuromancer. Given how screen-ready some of Snow Crash’s most famous sequences are, though—most notably, the high-speed, action-heavy pizza delivery chase that opens the novel—it’s honestly kind of baffling that directors have never managed to get a handle on Stephenson’s world of katana-wielding pizza guys, nuke-toting motorcyclists, and virtual reality paradise. The closest Hollywood’s gotten to date is Steven Spielberg’s upcoming Ready Player One, especially since Ernest Cline’s reference-addicted original novel cribs heavily from Stephenson’s virtual worlds.

That might all be about to change, though; Variety reports that Amazon has started development on a Snow Crash TV series, with Ant Man writer Joe Cornish and Back To The Future producer Frank Marshall shepherding the show to the screen. The series is part of an aggressive new push from the online streamer, which recently announced its intentions to find its “own” Game Of Thrones.

To that end, Amazon also tapped two other well-known authors for projects today. First up: comics author Greg Rucka, whose book Lazarus is also being adapted. Set in a dystopian near future, the book centers on 16 warring families who control humanity, and the one-person kill squads they use to exert their will.

The company also announced an adaptation of Larry Niven’s Ringworld, which might actually put Snow Crash to shame on the “unadaptable” scale, what with all the long, quasi-philosophical conversations, elaborate CGI demands, and lurid alien sex it features. The book—part of Niven’s “Known Space” series—centers on two humans sent by mysterious alien to explore the titular structure, a massive, dangerous ring-like structure surrounding a distant star.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Oooh, I look forward to seeing what they do with Ringworld. Getting the myriad of aliens plausibly portrayed will be a challenge (especially the puppeteers). Maybe I'll give it a re-read...the last few books flat when I read them -- could be because I was far removed from reading the original story. The first two were really good though.
Spoiler:
Fun fact: back in the day, some of the best science fiction was soundly rooted in science fact. After Ringworld came out, students at one of the east coast elite schools (Harvard, MIT, or somesuch) did an elaborate proof showing that a Ringworld could not maintain a stable orbit on its own accord. Thus was born the plot of Ringworld Engineers where our heroes had to fix massive attitude engines that stabilized it's orbit and keeping it from sliding into it's sun.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Mr. Robot continues to be fantastic, if a little hard to follow. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything from a TV series that blurs the lines of reality so well, especially with regards to an actual psychological disorder. Wow. Powerful stuff (so far, Season 2).
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Bosch Season 4 available on April 13.

I'm also interested in Red State among a few others available this month.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

The Looming Tower on Amazon Prime (Hulu in the US?). I'm binging this thing and it's really really good. The dysfunction of the relationship between branches of government leading up to 9/11 is on full display. Not too hard to imagine it's pretty accurate...
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:49 am We have threads for Netflix, so here's one for Amazon's tv and film production.

Variety
A new “Jack Ryan” series, starring John Krasinski, has landed a series greenlight at Amazon with a 10-episode order, Variety has learned.

Based on Tom Clancy’s iconic CIA character, the modernized series, described as a reinvention of the classic story, hails from Carlton Cuse and Graham Roland who shepherded the adaptation.

Michael Bay, Brad Fuller, Andrew Form, David Ellison, Dana Goldberg, Marcy Ross, Mace Neufeld and Lindsey Springer are also exec producing. The series hails from Paramount and Skydance Television.
The new take on “Jack Ryan” landed at Amazon in late 2015 with a promising series commitment, instead of their typical pilot-testing strategy. Krasinski was cast this April, further pushing the hot project along toward a series order.

“Jack Ryan” will shoot in the U.S., Europe and Africa. No premiere date has been set.
Amazon offered me a bribe of 400 Twitch bits to watch an episode of this, so I caught the first one this morning. It's good enough that I'll probably watch more even without ongoing payments to do so.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I’ve watched five episodes I think. I don’t hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think I've watched three episodes. It's by the numbers and not (at least yet) in any way surprising, but it's entertaining enough.
Black Lives Matter
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Jim from The Office vs terrorists is a perfectly fine way to pass an hour. Not amazing, but not bad either.
mori

Post by mori »

I thought Jim was a rather poor choice for an action figure, but he was pretty good in 13 Hours, so I think I could believe him in this role.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Watched one episode yesterday and we watched the remaining 7 today. That's a binge for ya.

We both liked it very much. It's a fun ride. A little formulaic for sure but still good action fare.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The Glass Castle
:pop:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:54 pm Good Omens
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh man, I’m in.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:21 pm Oh man, I’m in.
So very much this!

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No more teaser, now a full trailer:

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

When does this start? I want to watch it now. NOW!
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Figured I should share for Hepcat: Murder She Wrote coming to Amazon Prime video starting 4/1 (no joke).

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Has anyone watched Hanna? I just finished the Umbrella Academy on Netflix and was thinking about starting it.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:40 pm Has anyone watched Hanna? I just finished the Umbrella Academy on Netflix and was thinking about starting it.
I thought it didn't officially start until tomorrow (29th).
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

rittchard wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:58 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:40 pm Has anyone watched Hanna? I just finished the Umbrella Academy on Netflix and was thinking about starting it.
I thought it didn't officially start until tomorrow (29th).
Maybe, wasn't paying attention. I think ep 1 was available early however.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I watched the 1st episode after the Super Bowl. I think it was a one night thing.

Really liked it and looking forward to the season.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Has anyone else watched season 2 of Fleabag? It (and the entire show, for that matter) is brilliant.
Black Lives Matter
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Yeah, posted about it in some other thread. Absolutely loved, loved it. So funny and cringey and adorable and all the feels.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
JCC

Post by JCC »

Fleabag season 2 was just awesome - definitely better than the first season IMO. I'm sad it's over as apparently there won't be any more made.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor