Epic's new game..Fortnite....zombies and Minecraft clash

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Epic's new game..Fortnite....zombies and Minecraft clash

Post by Daehawk »

Stolen from VE3D.

VIDEO
Epic's newly announced IP, Fortnite, looks to be a Minecraftian take on the currently all-consuming zombie genre, with the stylised graphics of Team Fortress 2 and a sprinkling of tower defense. Cliff Bleszinski described it as "a game in which you explore, you scavenge, you build, and ultimately… you survive." More pertinent information, including release dates and launch platforms, doesn't quite exist yet.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sepiche

Re: Epic's new game..Fortnite....zombies and Minecraft clash

Post by Sepiche »

Not that that showed any gameplay, but I like the premise. I just hope it's as free form as it looks where you can run around during the day to your heart's content and then hole up at night in whatever fort you manage to get together.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Multiplayer would be a blast.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Fingers crossed. I've been waiting for this game since Urban Dead.
I'm not crazy about the art style, but gameplay could easily win me over.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

I had no idea it was in the works, but I do like the idea of a freeform zombie game that wasn't mostly about killing the undead.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Arise!

Alpha signups are now available:
http://alpha.fortnite.com/
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Wow, that survey was grammatically painful. Somebody over there needs to learn the definition of franchise.

2. What’s your favorite game franchise of all time?
Call of Duty
Grand Theft Auto
League of Legends
Minecraft
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
World of Warcraft
Borderlands
Other

3. Estimate the maximum HOURS you’ve played any single game from these franchises.
Call of Duty
Grand Theft Auto V
League of Legends
Minecraft
Skyrim
World of Warcraft
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I filled the whole thing out and on submit it it said sorry we cant process your reg right now.

EDIT: Second time is the charm. Got it.

Game Informer ...it is Mays cover and there is some info there.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Well that's weird. I got an email from them telling me to sign up on their website and reserve my name, but when I tried it told me "Sepiche" contained words that were not allowed. :?
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Sepiche wrote:Well that's weird. I got an email from them telling me to sign up on their website and reserve my name, but when I tried it told me "Sepiche" contained words that were not allowed.
Don't be silly. Everyone knows that names that contain the word "epic" are not allowed. :D
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I also had to re sign up . It took mine again. But kinda strange they lost everyone's sign yup.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

ColdSteel wrote:
Sepiche wrote:Well that's weird. I got an email from them telling me to sign up on their website and reserve my name, but when I tried it told me "Sepiche" contained words that were not allowed.
Don't be silly. Everyone knows that names that contain the word "epic" are not allowed. :D
Ha, yeah, you're right that's probably it. I was trying to think of all the weird Chinese curse words I've ever heard that might be hidden in my name, but "Epic" makes more sense.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Anyone know of a general support email address for Epic? I can't find anything on their site besides an office contact email.

They're about to lose a sale because some junior web developer over there doesn't know how to properly code a bad word filter. :P
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hey guys. Hard to believe its been 5 years since I started this thread. I haven't heard much of anything really over those years either. But today I got a alpha invite email. I cant discuss the game due to NDA.....well not played yet either hehe plan too today.......but they gave me 2 invites. I need emails to do it though. So if any of you lugs are interested in the alpha for it then just PM me...the first two with email in them get the invites.

Remember only the first 2 PM with email you want the invite sent to gets them. Only have the two of them. First come first serve sorry all.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seems no one is interested.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I hope the game turns out well but I have an overabundance of good finished titles so I try not to indulge in early access anymore.
morlac

Post by morlac »

I had never heard of this until I read a thread on QT3 and insta bought it. I have been playing this since late last week (get in on founder early access). Total blast! Different than anything else and extremely polished for having just launched. It's an interesting mix of genres and styles that mesh so well together. I'm just about into the second area when the training wheels come off and the challenge level kick up considerably. First area is basically a super long tutorial but still fun. I need some peeps to play with! (even if random folks have been fine thus far). I'm Grimlag in game hit me up for an invite!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Can you link to or describe the gameplay? I have no idea what this is and I am at work so I can't watch gameplay videos right now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

And what is the single player potential?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
morlac

Post by morlac »

coopasonic wrote:Can you link to or describe the gameplay? I have no idea what this is and I am at work so I can't watch gameplay videos right now.

I will do my best :)

3rd person with cute clean graphics think P{lants vs Zombies but better
+
Zombies!
+
Base construction with traps etc.
+
Crafting! Craft weapons, traps, etc. Some also drop as loot.
+
RPg leveling and skill unlocks (tons ), research tree for new tech!, multiple classes/heroes for your team. An Quest! , lots and lots of quest!
+
RNG unlockable cards and loot from mission chest (much like a lot of mobile city building games). Daily rewards and such as well
+
Dropable loot and schemeatics for items and wepaons you can build
+
NPC that boost your stats (multiple teams like Fire squad, EMT, etc. All with loot levels like common, uncommon, rare, etc. just like weapons. Some can be deployed to a mission like the traps.

You have a main base that you build on and upgrade as you progress. Some missions are defending your base and everything you build for your base is persistent. Other missions have you protecting random things. Those only last for that mission. Missions take place in city blocks or forsest so far. Randomizied every time. There are chest to find, people to save, etc. Everything is lootable or destructible and yields crafting materiel....everything!

Very hard to explain. Kinda like Orcs must die/Dungeon defenders mixed with mobile city builders/minecraft and survival games like 7 days to die...i guess???

It's semi overwhleming at first but juts play the missions and it will all get explained!

It's awesome and refreshingly new!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGB1aLDR2Es

4( now 7!) edits to add more details....sooo much going on!
Last edited by morlac on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 8 times in total.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Freyland wrote:And what is the single player potential?

I've only done one mission solo (it was early morning ETZ) and I did not feel like waiting. Game has built in match making for everything; just start a mission and people join. In 8 hours over 15 - 20 missions I have encountered zero assholes. From my understanding the first area (tutorial) is fairly easy as you learn the ropes. The second areas takes more thought, planning and teamwork.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Thanks. I appreciate the info. I am really curious how this works in practice. I have so many questions... I was initially interested, but then I found out it was multi-focused and lost interest... the buzz is getting to me now though.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

coopasonic wrote:Can you link to or describe the gameplay? I have no idea what this is and I am at work so I can't watch gameplay videos right now.

You can read my rambling above or this from Wiki...hehe. Though it does not really go into much detail. there is LOTS going on in the meta game.

Fortnite is described as a co-op sandbox survival game and is about exploration, scavenging items, crafting weapons, building fortified structures, and fighting waves of encroaching monsters. Players will work together to scavenge items they can use for building, and defend their structures and objectives from the Husks. Building will be a core mechanic in the game, and there will be "a lot of loot" buried within. Players can build and edit each wall of their fort with a 3×3 grid, lay down stairs, roofs, and windows, sculpting them to suit a particular need.[7] Due to this gameplay element, the game is described as "Minecraft meets Left 4 Dead" by Tim Sweeney, the founder of Epic Games.[8]

The terrain and the maps of the game are generated randomly, and players are given a variety of weapons such as ranged weapons like shotgun, pistol, sniper rifle, and melee weapons like katana.[9] The game features four different classes, namely ninja, the outlander, soldier, and constructor. Different classes have different abilities. For instance, high wall can only be built by the constructor class, while the ninja class's melee ability is much better than the other classes. Players can also destroy environmental objects and scenery items to obtain resources. When players obtain a yellow orb, the attack performed by the player will become stronger, and they will gain the ability to collect resources faster. Weapons can also be crafted, and the playable character's skills can be customized through upgrading and leveling up.[10] Different parts, such as floor, traps, wall and roof, and whether they are made of wood, stone, or metal, are decided by players when they are building a fortified structure. A player versus player mode will also be featured, which will accommodate up to ten different players.[11]
morlac

Post by morlac »

coopasonic wrote:Thanks. I appreciate the info. I am really curious how this works in practice. I have so many questions... I was initially interested, but then I found out it was multi-focused and lost interest... the buzz is getting to me now though.

It works awesome in practice. Lot's going on but they do a great job of easing you into all the systems. Writing is pretty damn funny too. Reminds me of borderlands but more PG. Watch the video I linked when you can it does a pretty good job going over it.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Note that it will be going to a F2P model in 2018. That made my enthusiasm dip quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, I have played many of those (and enjoyed them), but knowing in advance that's what they were. I was not expecting that model for this game, and their website got me all hyped up! :D
morlac

Post by morlac »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Note that it will be going to a F2P model in 2018. That made my enthusiasm dip quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, I have played many of those (and enjoyed them), but knowing in advance that's what they were. I was not expecting that model for this game, and their website got me all hyped up! :D
Doesn't surprise me one bit and makes total sense. This is pretty much the norm nowadays for games that require a decent player population to be "playable". Plus this was always a "free to play" model, they are not switching to it. You pay now for early access and a "founders" pack of goodies. Game has not "technically" launched and they are adding more and fleshing it out (more content, PVP, etc). Still, more polished than most "live" games.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I watched some videos and I am starting to lean against. it does look really cool, but I think think the cool would really require more of an interest in multiplayer. I'll watch as it evolves to see what comes later. I also would like more usefulness from the home base. It looks the missions boil down to explore and gather, then build your base, then defend. Lots of loot including new characters and weapons, plus massive skill trees. There is a home base that you build, but apparently it isn't used for combat.

The F2P part doesn't bother me. I've spent a bunch of money on games that turned into F2P and that never dampened my excitement/enjoyment.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

On a totally unrelated note, does uhhh.. Epic have any kind of mfa (authenticator app)?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote:I watched some videos and I am starting to lean against.
OK, I went from leaning against to spending the whole weekend playing with my 11 year old son. I got the Legendary edition I think it was ($150, includes two extra keys). Yeah, I generally go overboard but I watched a bunch of videos and I figured this would work with X(11). I was right. He loves it.

I am not sure I can even say what I like about the game. You could describe it as a co-op third person tower defense game. In 75% of missions (in my experience thus far) you are protecting something from an incoming horde of husks. I don't know the names of all the types, but there are the standard zombies, the fatties that have more health and do more damage, the pitchers that throw mystical bones, the witches that are the mortars of the games, the hive-heads that are AoE attackers attacking with bees, the mini-mites that can leap over things and attack in little packs... that will tear you up and then there are the mist monsters, which are the mini-bosses. I've only seen a couple so far, one that will take out a wall in one hit, one that flies and I don't know what he does besides bring the pain.

In the defense missions you get some time to gather materials and explore the map and find the thing you need to defend, you do carry over materials from one mission to the next, everything except blu-glo which is used to power various things on the map. You will always be looking for nuts and bolts and rotating gizmos as they are used to craft ammo and weapons respectively, there are other mats for each, but those are the key pieces. Once you find or place the thing to defend, you spend some time clearing out the area and setting up defenses. Early on you can do all the work with guns and melee weapons, but as things get tougher, you will want traps to soften up the enemies. You can build structures to try to force the enemies into your traps, but they can go through your structures if they feel like it. There is a nice variety of traps that you can place on floors, walls and ceilings of different types. When you think you are ready activate the thing and kill, kill, kill.

There are other mission types, like survivor rescues some you just have to find, some you have to save from a horde, some won't leave without the medkit you need to find. There are also radar tower expansion where you have to find some places where towers need to be built and build them according to a blueprint that is nicely implemented. Another is Encampment destruction where you need to locate and destroy increasingly difficult enemy encampments. There may be more, but those are the ones I have seen so far.

A lot of the missions are repetitive, so what keeps it interesting? Loot and upgrades. There is a bunch of loot in this game. Weapons, traps, mats, survivors, heroes, various types of XP... so many things. Basically everything you get can be leveled up. You level them up with specific XP that you are generally rewarded with or you get from retiring/recycling resources of the same type. In addition to leveling everything up, you have your own skill trees and research trees that let you improve lots of things. So many things. Damage, health, building strength, pickaxe strength, backpack size, weapon evolutions, hero evolutions... and lots more.

There is a stupid amount of stuff going on in this game. Wait, what are those survivors for, oh... yeah I forgot squads... and expeditions... and defenders... and collections... and transformations... yeah, I can't type all day. I have to do some work.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

Glad you are enjoying it!

Yes, great to play with Kids. My 8 year old isn't quite old enough for it (she likes to watch it doesn't have any twitch skills yet) but I bought a copy for my 16 year old nephew and we had a blast last weekend as well.

Also glad you now understand my pain in trying to explain it. The Meta game is indeed deep and addictive. Did you get the crazy 15 founder bonus Llamas over the weekend? That was ridiculous! 2 turned into gold Llamas and 2 into silver ones. I picked up like 6 new Heroes plus a carp load of everything else; lots of blues and purples and couple legendary. Nuts!

tip:

When collecting loot in missions the best stuff (chest/etc.) are in attics on neighborhood maps. Right when map loads I immediately build a platform going up and act like Iceman; building the floor platform under me as I run to the nearest roof of a house 3 stories up. Then just break through the roof and see what goodies are hiding. Once looted just Iceman your way to the next house's roof and repeat. Most attics are not even accessible any other way. I found 5 chest this way in a map over the weekend doing this. Also, check under the stairs as chest pop there sometimes. Works for city maps as well as the best stuff is usually higher up and/or on roof. IMO the forest maps usually have the least amount of loot, which I guess makes sense. Look for caves!

Send Grimlag a friend invite :)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

morlac wrote:Send Grimlag a friend invite :)
Will try to remember. If I don't, you can send a request to... coopasonic, yeah, shocking, I know.

I don't play much MP, but I think I might have a headset with a mic laying around somewhere. When I do play MP it's with my son sitting at the computer behind me so I don't need a mic.
Freyland wrote:And what is the single player potential?
I wanted to give a little more info on this. The game is really pretty easy at the beginning and single player will be no problem. As you progress things get a lot crazier and playing solo will be pretty challenging. Often you will have enemies approaching something you need to defend from two or three avenues and it can be hard to keep up with. You can add NPC defenders, but I don't know how effective they are. I have a few and I have used them on missions at my home base but I never stood still long enough to see how effective they were.

Everything is just easier with more people. I have only played with two and I find that workable so far though it can still be pretty overwhelming. We have never failed a mission but we have died a few times.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

I have not seen a need for headset levels of communication yet. The buildup is usually casual and typing is fine for "Game planning". Once the action starts it's all pretty good to go with 3 players if planned accordingly. Maybe at higher difficultly levels it become more important but so far not so much.

Regarding single player... don't recommend. It is a co op game at it's core and designed accordingly. I will say grouping is completely organic and built in. Also, I have had zero bad groups in 15+ hours of play. I could see that getting worse once it goes full free to play because people suck.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

What is the minimum time commitment when you connect with a group? Short runs or longer campaigns?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

A single mission can be as short as 20 minutes, the ones that aren't protection missions are time limited. The ones that are protection missions will have a couple bonus objectives that are designed to hurry things along. I assume it will depend on the group. everyone is going to have their own objectives that they want to accomplish, but most of the progression objectives include "during a successful *min level* mission" so everyone is motivated to get it done. You can drop out at any time.

Oh quests... gods. You can have a dozen different quests going on at any time (I haven't noticed any actual limit, I have a bunch). There is your main quest which is the linear chain of progression in the game. There are also daily quests, like destroy five propane tanks. There are tutorial quests, generally triggered when you get a new ability or something like that. Class quests which try to get you to play different classes. I can't remember what the other quests are called. But they are like daily quests but with multiple tiers that you progress through. Level 1 would be rescue 10 survivors, then level 2 would be rescue 16 survivors and on like that. Sometimes I complete a mission and get three quest completions for one mission.

Have I mentioned that there is a lot going on in this game? :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
raydude

Post by raydude »

Bought this after two work friends of mine got it and had a blast playing with each other. My one work friend is very particular about getting new games and the fact that he likes Fornite and is trying to hawk it to the rest of the gaming group speaks volumes.

One interesting bonus about the game is that it allows cross-progression between the PS4 and PC (no Xbox1 cross-progression, sorry). What this means is - that since one of the two friends is console-centric we had to buy it for the PS4, but the Epic Games account allowed us to download the PC version and cross-link it to our playstation accounts. Once that's done both the PC and PS4 versions draw from the same stable of heroes, resources, skill trees, etc. The only thing that is platform specific is the "V-bucks" which is the in-game currency one can buy with real money.

What this means for me is that I can log onto the PC every day, manage my resources and research and skill tree with mouse and keyboard, then during my gaming time I log into the PS4 and just play. Or, if folks here are playing on the PC I can play with them as well.

I'm also up for gaming with anyone here. in-game name: raydudeprime
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If anyone is interested and doesn't want to go all out, I have a spare standard edition key ($40 value) that will trade you for a $30 digital amazon gift card. Note: that I have to grab the key in-game so I couldn't send it until after work.

My son and I are still playing daily. Almost done with the first area.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

so, this game is quite fun! Overwhelming at first, but still a good time.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My 11 year old and I are on the last mission in the starting area. I'm ready for Plankerton! Or possibly not... but I am certainly ready to go to the second tier skill tree.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
raydude

Post by raydude »

One of my friends bought the deluxe edition of fortnite. It comes with a starter hero pack of 8 rare heroes. One of them was Pathfinder Jess. She's very good at finding loot treasure chests. One of her early abilities, "in the zone", triggers when she hits 5 things with a pickaxe. Then her level 8 ability "keen eyes" triggers while "in the zone" and shows her any chests that are within two tile spaces of her. Through walls. And floors. She has a higher level ability "keener eyes" which expands her "keen eyes" by 1 extra tile.

I've been noticing that the "person" rewards that show up as mission rewards, quest rewards, or daily rewards have always been exactly the same between myself and another friend I play with. So I figured that the deluxe edition starter hero pack would be exactly the same for anyone who bought it.

I had already spent $40 on the standard edition but fortnite let me upgrade to the deluxe edition by paying $20. And sure enough, I got Pathfinder Jess. I'm pretty sure if I compared all the other 7 heroes with my friend the stats and abilities would be exactly the same.

Just something to think about for folks who paid for the standard edition and were suffering from a dearth of heroes to play with.
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

Really loving the game, currently somewhere around power level 17 and a few quests away from finishing up Stonewood. Been mostly playing solo, but when I do manage to have some friends online the co-op is fantastic.

I am Arkon262 on Epic.
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408