Stupid news

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Stupid news

Post by Daehawk »

Thought we could try out a thread about stupid in the news or stupid news. Not necessarily Florida stupid news and not really to fill up random randomness with.

Hot water challenge
The "Hot Water Challenge," which kids say was inspired by YouTube videos, involves pouring boiling water on an unsuspecting friend — or, in one fatal instance, daring a friend to drink boiling water through a straw.

On Monday, an 11-year-old Jamoneisha Merritt of the Bronx was badly burned when friends poured boiling water on her face while she slept. In July, a 10-year-old Wesley Smith of North Carolina suffered severe burns after he and his step-brother attempted the challenge. And in late July, an 8-year-old Ki'ari Pope of Florida died several months after her cousin dared her to drink boiling water through a straw. Pope burned her mouth and throat, received a tracheotomy, and suffered enduring respiratory problems. The night she died, she told her family she couldn't breathe, and fell unconscious shortly thereafter.
And then we have Ashley Judd who I think has lost her mind and also became a card carrying femnazi.

Judds breakdown
Fresh off her incredibly bizarre and vulgar slam poetry session at the Women's March on Washington to protest the democratic election of Donald Trump, insane Hollywood feminist Ashley Judd went all Lena Dunham and reported an airport worker who apparently had the audacity to call her "sweetheart" and compliment her dress.

Where does this guy think we are? Saudi freaking Arabia?
The horror continues, as the self-styled Nasty Woman recollected the kind employee — trigger warning — complimenting her dress.

“Then when I was setting my things out he said, ‘hey, nice dress."
Unbelievably, the nice guy then told her: "Have a good day, sweetheart."
Here, Judd basically explains that the manager said he had a talking-to with the employee she complained about (for essentially doing his job in a friendly manner) and that she was given vouchers for coffee in recompense for the intense ordeal. Then, framing herself as a modern Rosa Parks, Judd complimented herself on her bravery for speaking up.How deeply entrenched in your own victimhood do you have to be to be triggered by a friendly airport employee calling you sweetheart? Really?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
McNutt

Re: Stupid news

Post by McNutt »

Kids burning each other to death? I'm punching out of this thread.
Toe

Post by Toe »

I think a male calling an unknown female "Sweetheart" is a little sexist and not really appropriate. I was brought up thinking the sweetheart was what you called someone you were in love with (ala valentines day type of stuff). I can understand women not really wanting to be called that. Heck, as man it makes me uncomfortable when a female service person calls me that (along with the other typical stuff, like "honey","love", etc). That being said, when that happens to me I just ignore the uncomfortableness of it and carry on, not rant about it to managers, complain on social media, etc.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Toe wrote:I think a male calling an unknown female "Sweetheart" is a little sexist and not really appropriate.

What's weird is I think you are correct, and yet it's somehow endearing when a woman, usually in the service industry, calls a man "sweetheart", presumably to breed familiarity and make their brief sales encounter more friendly/intimate.

Culture is a strange thing to observe.

As to the boiling water shit? I could never see a news item like that again and be a happier man for it. That's fucked. up.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

In the South at least it's not uncommon at all for people who are helping you to call you "sweetheart" or "dear" or "darling" and it's no big deal. I imagine that Ms. Judd, being from Kentucky, has lived around that her whole life. It can certainly be intended as sexist, such as when Cam Newton called a female reporter sweetheart during a press conference, but usually it's just people trying to be nice. I can't tell you the number of times I've been called that by women I don't know and I've never batted an eye at it.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Yeah, I've had woman from the south call me sweetheart or sweetie plenty of time and it never bothered me. It's ok to not like it but it's a completely different thing to actually complain about it to a manager.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It's completely different between a woman calling a man "sweetheart" and a man calling a woman the same thing. If you can't understand that, you're clueless.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote: If you can't understand that, you're clueless.
I understand it's completely different (at least where I live) but I have a hard time wrapping my head around why it's completely different... but then I'm clueless. :oops: Beyond that, let's just say I've lived a life of 47 years of being socially misfit.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Zarathud wrote:It's completely different between a woman calling a man "sweetheart" and a man calling a woman the same thing. If you can't understand that, you're clueless.
In this day and age of gender neutrality and equal rights and trying to homogenize everyone and everything into all being the same, there shouldn't be any difference.
Didn't you get the memo????
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zarathud wrote:It's completely different between a woman calling a man "sweetheart" and a man calling a woman the same thing. If you can't understand that, you're clueless.
It really depends on the context and intent. It could very well be the same innocent platitude it is when a woman says the same thing to a man (or a not-so-innocent flirtation - again, depends on intent and context).
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ultPAIkFoRw

Oh, it's happening, sweetheart.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote:Oh, it's happening, sweetheart.
Now say it in Humphrey Bogart voice. Doesn't sound sexist at all now, does it?
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

McNutt wrote:In the South at least it's not uncommon at all for people who are helping you to call you "sweetheart" or "dear" or "darling" and it's no big deal. I imagine that Ms. Judd, being from Kentucky, has lived around that her whole life. It can certainly be intended as sexist, such as when Cam Newton called a female reporter sweetheart during a press conference, but usually it's just people trying to be nice. I can't tell you the number of times I've been called that by women I don't know and I've never batted an eye at it.
Yea, I hear it all the time here. Pretty common in the south. I heard just last week leaving a restaurant where waitress said, "Thanks, have a great day sweetie."

I've said it a few times back but it is usually women I'm familiar with, like the same waitress that serves me over and over at a particular restaurant.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

It's certainly situational. I have no idea how the man in question said it to Judd, so it might not have been innocent at all. But the notiion that it is always sexist to say it to a woman is something I just don't buy.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Now think it about from the context of the man being a security officer at an airport that has the power to delay you in getting to your plane or ensuring you're subjected to hours of questioning and strip searches.

Sexism has a lot to do with power.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Toe wrote:I think a male calling an unknown female "Sweetheart" is a little sexist and not really appropriate. I was brought up thinking the sweetheart was what you called someone you were in love with (ala valentines day type of stuff). I can understand women not really wanting to be called that. Heck, as man it makes me uncomfortable when a female service person calls me that (along with the other typical stuff, like "honey","love", etc). That being said, when that happens to me I just ignore the uncomfortableness of it and carry on, not rant about it to managers, complain on social media, etc.

Damn I hate it when some woman I don't know calls me "honey". But I just assume it is a southern cultural thing and I just ignore it.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Scuzz wrote: Damn I hate it when some woman I don't know calls me "honey". But I just assume it is a southern cultural thing and I just ignore it.
It's usually not difficult to tell whether this is habitual or specifically directed. Even around here I think most breakfast/lunch diner type places force their waitresses to view training videos made by Flo from Alice.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote:
It really depends on the context and intent. It could very well be the same innocent platitude it is when a woman says the same thing to a man (or a not-so-innocent flirtation - again, depends on intent and context).
Agreed. And it's generally better received than "sugartits."
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Obviously, Ms. Judd should have just poured boiling water on him. :coffee:
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
funnygirl

Post by funnygirl »

Freyland wrote:Obviously, Ms. Judd should have just poured boiling water on him. :coffee:
:clap:
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hey I love Ashley Judd, and calling a nearly 50 year old stranger sweetheart is odd where I come from, I still fail to see how this comment/mistake is a crime worthy of action/punishment.

It would seem highly unlikely there was malice behind it, so treating it as a crime that needs punishing versus a misunderstanding that needs education (and a little tolerance wouldn't hurt) seems like a bad way to effect change, particularly if you care about not destroying peoples' lives while you do it.

We all face little slights and indignities as we go through our day. Only an asshole goes to war over the small stuff, especially if there was no specific intent to offend.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm content to say that both parties handled it badly and move on with my life. After all, she's not my kind of Wildcat.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My wife calls other women honey and sweetie. If my waitress or whomever is helping me is a woman older than me I say hon or such. If younger my wife kills me :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

RIP Daehawk
Zarathud

Stupid news

Post by Zarathud »

Isgrimnur wrote:Sexism has a lot to do with power.
And history. And how many times the other person hears the word in a negative way.

Southerners might use the term "sweetie" more frequently, but that just changes the threshold of tolerance.

I don't find it offensive when directed at me, but I'm a dude who usually gets called sweetie by a waitress trying to butter me up for a better tip.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Hot water is DANGEROUS.

Just the other day I almost burned off half of my upper lip when I overheated my boiled egg in the microwave (stupid, I know!) It hurts for DAYS.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
The blue 1967 Buick Skylark would have been perfect for an all-American road trip.

But Damien Roy, 22, and Bailey Roy, 21, never got that far. Before the two brothers from Nova Scotia could even cross the Canadian border, drones, helicopters, police dogs and a SWAT team surrounded their car. From 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Oct. 26, 2018, the checkpoint between Houlton, Maine, and Woodstock, New Brunswick, remained shut down amid a bizarre standoff, frustrating thousands of travelers.

In the end, there was no security threat — just two brothers with a poorly conceived plan and 21 jugs of gasoline. On Friday, Canadian officials agreed to drop terrorism hoax charges against the Roys and release them from jail, and explained for the first time what had led to their arrest. The men, it turned out, had been trying to see if they could make it to Mexico in a car with no license plates, and without stopping for gas or presenting any identification along the way.
The larger issue, however was that they didn’t have passports or any other forms of ID with them. To avoid having to deal with border agents, the Roys decided that they would take a back road through a remote stretch of the North Country where they were unlikely to encounter checkpoints, and then sneak into Maine.

Their old-school navigation methods evidently failed: At around 10 a.m. on Oct. 26, they found themselves approaching one of the largest checkpoints in New Brunswick.
Officials on both sides of the border were unnerved. Two officers from the Canada Border Services Agency went over to investigate. One tried to talk to the brothers and ask if they were okay, but got no response: The men just kept staring dead ahead, gazing out over the pine trees and the deep drifts of snow.

Then, the border agents noticed that the back seat of the Skylark was littered with jugs of gas. They quickly backed away, closed down the checkpoint and summoned the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.