Marvel Puzzle Quest

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

T

Re: Marvel Puzzle Quest

Post by T »

rshetts2 wrote:
T wrote:
rshetts2 wrote:Well I finally got my Deadpool vaults up to 300 tokens and emptied them today. That is one major boost to your roster and resources. Only one complaint, after all of that time saving up your tokens, the drudgery of having to click through all of them is ridiculous. They really need to add an "Empty the Vault" button. They could easy fix this so instead of over 2000 clicks to get your stuff all you would need is 2.
I just started saving for this. Seems to be the best way to progress and get HP for someone who doesn't want to put any more money into the game. I've already dropped about $25 and that is more than enough for a puzzle game.
It is absolutely the way to go. It requires patience but the payoff is enormous. I got enough HP to open slots for every hero. Well every hero except most of the 1 stars. You really only need one 1 star hero. All of my 2 stars got championed and I was able to sell several and then recover them, getting all of the bonuses from their champion levels.
I agree. I'm in the 3->4* transition and have 79 or so on my roster. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. Especially now with the 300 or so HP a month from the DDQ and whatever else you get from Shield resupply I'll be getting roster spots before then.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Pairing a 4 star StarLord with a 3 star Dr. Strange and 3 star Iron Fist is destroying PVE. Star Lord has great cost reducing ability that kicks in when opponents cast spells and his red power one shots most opponents and it's cheap to cast. He also gets you extra power points. His pink pumps his red attack and has two 3 turn tiles that damage when they count down. Dr Strange does his thing with his OP blue and brings the hurt whenever opponents cast as well. Iron Fist is just there as filler really, I could easily replace him but haven't looked into an alternative as he does have useful skills. Anyway if you havent been using 4 star Star Lord you should check him out, he is pretty badass.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Just an update on the 4 star Star Lord, 3 star Dr. Strange and 3 star Iron Fist. At first I thought Iron Fist was filler but I take that back, he rocks with this team. Star Lords cost reduction skill lowers the cost of his purple Iron Fist of Kun-lun to 3. This makes it ridiculously easy as once you get his black pumped he can do almost 5k of damage at a cost of 3 purple. This team is a PVE crusher.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just reset 2* Hawkeye. Ares and Black Widow are one cover away from topping out. And I should be ready for a Deadpool vault clear (Savory) by mid August. Sweet will probably be September.

I have eveyr 4* except Cloak and Dagger, just having gotten Sandman. I have six 5* slots unfilled. Roster sits at 120 at the moment, as I only have Spidey at the 1* level.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Isgrimnur wrote:Just reset 2* Hawkeye. Ares and Black Widow are one cover away from topping out. And I should be ready for a Deadpool vault clear (Savory) by mid August. Sweet will probably be September.

I have eveyr 4* except Cloak and Dagger, just having gotten Sandman. I have six 5* slots unfilled. Roster sits at 120 at the moment, as I only have Spidey at the 1* level.
Just a tip for vault clears. When you do a Deadpool vault clear, you get a crap ton of 2* covers. Check what heroes covers you'll be getting and sell those heroes off before clearing. You will get most of those 2*s back to champions either post clear or shortly thereafter.

For those still playing get into the new spiderman challenge its fun and so far not too tough. Doc Oc can be a pain because bad tile placement can screw you but if you use BW Grey suit, when his nuke tile turns green, her pink power makes that easy to match. I use her with Fat Thor and OML and have been crushing those fights.
Last edited by rshetts2 on Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Selling a 2* champion at level 143: 17,400 ISO, 100 HP
Selling a 2* champion at level 144: 65,000 ISO, 125 HP

That is a large disincentive to sell them off until they are max level.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge ImageEnlarge Image

And that's not counting the 100 HP you get for level 144.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Isgrimnur wrote:Selling a 2* champion at level 143: 17,400 ISO, 100 HP
Selling a 2* champion at level 144: 65,000 ISO, 125 HP

That is a large disincentive to sell them off until they are max level.
My bad, I figured that selling fully leveled 2*'s was pretty much implicit in my comment but yes you are correct, you should only sell those that are fully leveled.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Then I misread it. Apologies
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Isgrimnur wrote:Then I misread it. Apologies
Its cool, I should have clarified and your information was definitely a good addition.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I've just started to work on a vault clear, and I do have a question: When it switches from sweet to savory, do all of the tokens go into the previous bucket? Example, I started down this path about a week ago, so I got 15 tokens into the Savory vault before it switched to Sweet. Now I have 15 tokens in my Savory stockpile, and six in the current "Sweet" vault. When it switches back, do those tokens all go into a "sweet" stockpile, or will I end up with two separate stockpiles? I'm a might confused...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Each token retains its original flavor.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Well that sucks.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

300 days gets you two vault clears, one of each. I don't have any issues with it.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

That's like...like...a year!!! I get all twitchy when I have tokens unused. But, I'll try and remain strong.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

hentzau wrote:That's like...like...a year!!! I get all twitchy when I have tokens unused. But, I'll try and remain strong.
I tried. I lasted about ten days. It is what it is :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm at 267/281.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Its definitely a long wait if you save up your vault tokens but the payoff is amazeballs.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tomorrow is enough for a full for a Savory clear. Day 4 of the next Sweet rotation will fill me there.

Looking at the Savory vault, I have the full cover range on 4* Star Lord, and I am missing green on Ghost Rider, so I don't really need what would be my third red cover. I may wait until I get a better 4* mix.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

New vault isn't much better. I don't need a 0-0-3 Iron Fist, and my Moon Knight is already 1-1-1.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Isgrim, your tokens don't cap out so if you're in no hurry to vault out, waiting doesn't really hurt you. Hopefully your next vault will be a good one.

If youre looking for a really kick ass team, try Fat Thor, Grey suit BW and Scarlet Witch. The synergy with this team is insane.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I can use the Gwenpool black to get that color started, and the Mordo black would be my second cover, both in black.
:think:
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

I haven't been on here in a while and now I feel like an idiot. I've just been selling all the 2* covers I get and not selling off the 144 2*s I have instead. What a moron I am. Why didn't I think of that? UGH!
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

rshetts2 wrote:Its definitely a long wait if you save up your vault tokens but the payoff is amazeballs.
Anyone done the math/theory crafting on this?

I don't save my vault tokens outside of 10 I hold in reserve for no particular reason. Opening them daily is a nice little boost of gambling endorphins.

That said, I have so many tokens from all the various events that I don't even know how many I have. Hundreds, certainly. So if the math works out (which even a moment's thought on probability would seem to support) I guess I can start saving vault tokens, although that will make each day a little less fun, which is not easily dismissed. 300 days with no payoff until the end sounds like drudgery.

Still, I'd like to read a convincing argument to make myself feel better.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sectoid wrote:I haven't been on here in a while and now I feel like an idiot. I've just been selling all the 2* covers I get and not selling off the 144 2*s I have instead. What a moron I am. Why didn't I think of that? UGH!
If it makes you feel better I did the exact same thing for a long time. You can see where I learned my lesson earlier in the thread.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

GreenGoo wrote:
rshetts2 wrote:Its definitely a long wait if you save up your vault tokens but the payoff is amazeballs.
Anyone done the math/theory crafting on this?

I don't save my vault tokens outside of 10 I hold in reserve for no particular reason. Opening them daily is a nice little boost of gambling endorphins.

That said, I have so many tokens from all the various events that I don't even know how many I have. Hundreds, certainly. So if the math works out (which even a moment's thought on probability would seem to support) I guess I can start saving vault tokens, although that will make each day a little less fun, which is not easily dismissed. 300 days with no payoff until the end sounds like drudgery.

Still, I'd like to read a convincing argument to make myself feel better.
I dont have the actual numbers but the simple answer is that the vault holds 300 prizes. Since there are far fewer prizes beyond the 2* covers, bits of iso and health packs, the odds are slim you will get those better value items. Since the vault resets often, those odds never improve for you. Save your tokens and those odds go from miniscule to 100% and you still get all of the small stuff too. The other bonus of saving up is you get a massive dump of 2* covers all at once which allows you to sell off max champion heroes and reacquire them as champions really fast. This results in a huge resource windfall. Suddenly you have no ISO issues and no slot issues either because you get so many hero points as well. I took a while to come to this realization and I regret that I didn't start saving sooner.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I get that it gives 100% chance for the top tokens every 300 days, but I would expect (I'm way too lazy and rusty to do it myself) someone to have done some numerical analysis on it.

For example, what is the probability of getting 2 #1 tokens if you single pull once a day for 300 days. What about 3 #1s. 5?

While it's true that 300 tokens in one vault guarantees you get the #1 card, it also guarantees that you will never get more than 1 per 300 tokens.

If you like to gamble (as I do) then it becomes important to know what your chances are.

I'm not asking anyone to do it, I just assumed some energetic young mind might have already published some interesting analysis for me to enjoy and give me confidence on a strategy based on math.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

If gambling is your thing, I can understand the desire to roll away. Although, too be honest, I don't even know if all 300 slots in the vault are weighted equally when you draw. If they are weighted evenly then it's likely that there is an optimal number of tokens to save for that is less than 300 but still gives you good enough odds to make drawing worth it. If they are not weighted equally that only further supports saving.
I do have one caveat, when you are relatively new to the game and need 2* covers and resources, then what I have seen recommended is to save your tokens and draw when you have 20 of them. I haven't seen the math on that either but it's not a long wait if you play daily and it clearly improves your odds of getting something good, especially in the area of HP which is tougher to gather early, although the new DDQ reward of 10 hp lessens that early hp squeeze somewhat.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I suspect the tokens in a vault are equally weighted based on the numerical distribution of the repeated entries in the vault.

As you say though, I don't know that for a fact and it could be something else.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote:I can use the Gwenpool black to get that color started, and the Mordo black would be my second cover, both in black.
:think:
I've decided to pass for a better set. I've got an empty slot at the moment, so I'm not choking at the bit for the HP, I've got 600k ISO, so I don't need help there. I'm not fielding 4* teams yet, so there's plenty of room for growth and waiting for two cover colors I don't have yet.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

OMW (5* wolverine) is a complete rock. He's the anchor that all my teams are attached to. Without him, things would be a lot less fun, probably. Or maybe I'd just use more of my roster. :D I can use pretty much anyone for any fight (pve stuff anyway) in the 3* range, and occasionally will even use 2*'s (although rare these days).
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Yep, even after they nerfed him, OMW is a great damage sponge.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hilariously shortly after the nerf (which I barely noticed) I got another cover for him so after I leveled him up he was better than he was for me pre-nerf.

I mean, he was a machine with only 4 covers. I didn't even have any red. I think he has 6 covers now (1 red) and he is nigh impossible to kill.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He's 2-3-1 for me, and I haven't played with him too much for a good feel if he's worth fielding regularly.

4* Luke Cage, 3* Thanos, and 3* Doctor Strange, however, have been getting heavy play, in whatever combinations I can get them.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

3-3-1 for me. His black is good but there are better things to spend black on sometimes. His most valuable attribute is healing for over 1k if both allies are alive, tanking a lot of colours and his match damage is extremely high too.

I have 1 or 2 other 5* in the same level range but they aren't 1/2 as valuable as he is.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Not a fan of thanos but Luke and strange are awesome.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My go-to is Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Doctor Strange. They're almost perfect together.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

hentzau wrote:My go-to is Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Doctor Strange. They're almost perfect together.
For PVE I run a similar team of Star Lord, Iron Fist and Dr. Strange. With SL's cost reduction and massive attack, Dr S's freeze and power use punishment and IF's offense they are PVE crushers. IF's pink attack at 3 ap if SL's cost reduction is active, is crazy.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Cage and IF have built in synergy and Strange works on literally any team, so I'm not surprised to hear they rock together.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Already have a green on 4* Punisher and Moon Knight. The wait continues.