The Confederate Flag Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

tjg_marantz

Re: The Confederate Flag Thread

Post by tjg_marantz »

So I watched something last night about the protests. There was even a reporter with some of the alt-right people. Can't remember who it was from though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I finally got around to watching it.

Jesus.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've got HBO Now for Game of Thrones right now. I should check in and see if Vice News (a really good investigative news show) has anything on Charlottesville.
He won. Period.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I found out last night that main Nazi featured in the Vice doc, Christopher Cantwell, lives less than an hour from me, in Keene, NH. So that's exciting. Yet another reason to want to get out of here.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote:I heard Vice did a pretty slick piece on the Charlottesville protests.
Have a link?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

SLAVEGHAZI!

We should remove her statues.

...wait...what?
He won. Period.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Smoove_B wrote:Uh oh, everyone look out - Mitch McConnell is privately upset:
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, who has been publicly silent so far over President Donald Trump's latest remarks on Charlottesville, is privately upset with the President's handling of the episode, according to a source close to the Kentucky Republican.
I look forward to him expressing that he's unsettled or disconcerted.
He made a pretty clear comment today.
"The white supremacist, KKK, and neo-nazi groups who brought hatred and violence to Charlottesville are now planning a rally in Lexington. Their messages of hate and bigotry are not welcome in Kentucky and should not be welcome anywhere in America," McConnell said in his statement. "We can have no tolerance for an ideology of racial hatred. There are no good neo-nazis, and those who espouse their views are not supporters of American ideals and freedoms. We all have a responsibility to stand against hate and violence, wherever it raises its evil head."
Ted Cruz posted on Facebook last night.
Any time you have an act of domestic terrorism, I think the Department of Justice needs to engage and investigate and prosecute. The video of what appears to be a white supremacist or a Nazi driving his car into a crowd of people, murdering one woman, injuring a great many others, on its face appears to be domestic terrorism. So I’m glad that Attorney General Jeff Sessions is stepping forward and treating it with the seriousness it deserves.
When it comes to what happened in Charlottesville that breaks all our hearts. You turn it on and it just – we shouldn’t be seeing this in America. Listen, Nazis and the Klan and white supremacists, these guys are racist, bigoted thugs. They’re idiots. What they’re saying is wrong, they are lies. And under the First Amendment they have a right to speak, even those profoundly wrong have a right to speak and express their views, but they’ve got to express it peaceably. They don’t have a right to violence, they don’t have a right to murder, they don’t have a right to assault others, but if you have Nazis and the Klan speaking, I think the rest of us have a moral obligation to denounce the lies and bigotry and evil and hatred that they’re spreading.
At first I was really disturbed by the comments, but reactions seem much more sane. 2438 likes, 145 loves, and 86 angrys. That's 3% of people that would see Ted Cruz's posts that are terrible people.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Ooh, better question...

Who the fuck cares? I don't believe the issue is who's family history involved slavery, despite Trump's attempt to drag the nation's Founders down. The issue is about hate and racism, and I don't think Obama was around his Great-to-the-nth power relatives to push back against slavery. In fact, you should be proud of Obama if you are going to say Slavery was in his past... he clearly has gone against the family grain. But that would be praising a brown person, and a democrat no less. Darn.

Edit: My post is a continuation of my previous at Rip.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

noxiousdog wrote:He made a pretty clear comment today.
Yes, like a normal human being, he came out against Nazis. What he didn't do was publicly state that President Trump - and the statements made by Trump administration - are a problem.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I have a new favorite comment from this madness
I'm a rabbi.
I believe words have power.
I try to choose mine carefully.
Fuck you, Trump.
:wub:
Rip

Post by Rip »

Freyland wrote:Ooh, better question...

Who the fuck cares? I don't believe the issue is who's family history involved slavery, despite Trump's attempt to drag the nation's Founders down. The issue is about hate and racism, and I don't think Obama was around his Great-to-the-nth power relatives to push back against slavery. In fact, you should be proud of Obama if you are going to say Slavery was in his past... he clearly has gone against the family grain. But that would be praising a brown person, and a democrat no less. Darn.

Edit: My post is a continuation of my previous at Rip.
Defiant asked if it had happened yet, and I have shown it has. Try to keep up.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:He made a pretty clear comment today.
Yes, like a normal human being, he came out against Nazis. What he didn't do was publicly state that President Trump - and the statements made by Trump administration - are a problem.
Exactly. Sorry, but McConnell's complicity is an integral part of the problem, as well.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

stessier wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:That press conference needs to be seen to be believed. He is so truly unfit and we are so truly fucked.
I just saw it this morning. I was expecting bad. It far surpassed my expectations. He had so many chances to say the right thing and just kept doubling down on the stupid.
It wasn't all bad. Now we know he has a house in Charlottesville.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daily Stormer has just been been booted from GoDaddy.

They already have a new home, though, with servers in Russia.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Alefroth wrote:
stessier wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:That press conference needs to be seen to be believed. He is so truly unfit and we are so truly fucked.
I just saw it this morning. I was expecting bad. It far surpassed my expectations. He had so many chances to say the right thing and just kept doubling down on the stupid.
It wasn't all bad. Now we know he has a house in Charlottesville.
The Radio said that was a lie (and house was "one of the largest vineyards in the US"). The radio said that vineyard belongs to his son and they said the winery was quick to say "Oh no, he doesn't own shit."

Random site on the internet concurs with the radio:

http://www.townandcountrymag.com/societ ... mp-winery/

How do you know Fucko is lying? He opens his mouth...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote:Daily Stormer has just been been booted from GoDaddy.

So now Russians are consorting with Nazis? Times sure do change.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote:
Holman wrote:Daily Stormer has just been been booted from GoDaddy.

So now Russians are consorting with Nazis? Times sure do change.
Or history sure does repeat itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molotov%E ... ntrop_Pact

Go ahead and invade Poland, we're right there with you.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It looks like the "white power" rally in Boston this Saturday is going to fizzle. All of the most offensive speakers have either been disinvited or dropped out on their own. As I understand it they're down to three lite-right non-celebrities who will focus on free speech...which doesn't get my hackles up. One never knows who will actually show up, but now nobody's expecting much of a crowd (especially with thunderstorms forecast), much less swastikas and goose-stepping.

Not sure if Wife and I will go into town anyway, just in case it metastasizes...we'll keep an eye on the weather and the latest news reports.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The president at the University of Florida announced today that they have reversed their decision and will no longer approve a permit for Richard Spencer to speak on campus. Hopefully the group calls the whole thing off and doesn't just try to hold their rally someplace nearby instead.
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

hepcat wrote:I've got HBO Now for Game of Thrones right now. I should check in and see if Vice News (a really good investigative news show) has anything on Charlottesville.
They do, and the video of the car attack is just horrifying. And you don't need HBO, they post their stuff on Youtube also.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote:Just wait, I haven't done Obama yet.

Obama's ancestors on his white mother's side appear to have been slave owners. William Reitwiesner, an amateur genealogical researcher, has published a history of Obama's mother's family and discovered that her ancestors have a distinctly shadowy past.
Go go go, Rip! See how far down the rabbit hole you can go!

Did you know we're all related to ancient humans that came from Africa!?!?! We're essentially all former slaves! We owned ourselves at one point or another!!!!

Hey, ,can you give me an update on the Seth Richards murder case?
Grifman wrote:
hepcat wrote:I've got HBO Now for Game of Thrones right now. I should check in and see if Vice News (a really good investigative news show) has anything on Charlottesville.
They do, and the video of the car attack is just horrifying. And you don't need HBO, they post their stuff on Youtube also.
My attempt at joining in the Vice News joke was a failure on my part. :cry:
Last edited by hepcat on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grifman wrote:
If only someone here would post a link.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Chaz wrote:I found out last night that main Nazi featured in the Vice doc, Christopher Cantwell, lives less than an hour from me, in Keene, NH. So that's exciting. Yet another reason to want to get out of here.
Alternatively, perhaps you can notify the police if you see him out and about.
Neo-Nazi Christopher Cantwell — who was one of the “Unite the Right” Charlottesville marchers interviewed by Vice.com — released a weepy, rambling video of himself discussing the fact that a warrant was issued for his arrest.

“I called the Charlottesville Police Department,” Cantwell said, “and said, ‘I have been told there’s a warrant out for my arrest. They said they wouldn’t confirm it but that I could find this out I could go to a magistrate or whatever.”
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Kraken wrote:It looks like the "white power" rally in Boston this Saturday is going to fizzle. All of the most offensive speakers have either been disinvited or dropped out on their own. As I understand it they're down to three lite-right non-celebrities who will focus on free speech...which doesn't get my hackles up. One never knows who will actually show up, but now nobody's expecting much of a crowd (especially with thunderstorms forecast), much less swastikas and goose-stepping.

Not sure if Wife and I will go into town anyway, just in case it metastasizes...we'll keep an eye on the weather and the latest news reports.
What if they did their rally and no one else showed up? Everyone ignored them. No counter protest. No Vice exclusive interviews. From their perspective all media attention is good.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote:
Chaz wrote:I found out last night that main Nazi featured in the Vice doc, Christopher Cantwell, lives less than an hour from me, in Keene, NH. So that's exciting. Yet another reason to want to get out of here.
Neo-Nazi Christopher Cantwell — who was one of the “Unite the Right” Charlottesville marchers interviewed by Vice.com — released a weepy, rambling video of himself discussing the fact that a warrant was issued for his arrest.

“I called the Charlottesville Police Department,” Cantwell said, “and said, ‘I have been told there’s a warrant out for my arrest. They said they wouldn’t confirm it but that I could find this out I could go to a magistrate or whatever.”
Came to post this. Well deserved karma for this asshole.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

El Guapo wrote:
Grifman wrote:
If only someone could use the search function on Youtube :)

Serioiusly, it took me less that 60 secs to find it :)
Rip

Post by Rip »

Moliere wrote:
Kraken wrote:It looks like the "white power" rally in Boston this Saturday is going to fizzle. All of the most offensive speakers have either been disinvited or dropped out on their own. As I understand it they're down to three lite-right non-celebrities who will focus on free speech...which doesn't get my hackles up. One never knows who will actually show up, but now nobody's expecting much of a crowd (especially with thunderstorms forecast), much less swastikas and goose-stepping.

What if they did their rally and no one else showed up? Everyone ignored them. No counter protest. No Vice exclusive interviews. From their perspective all media attention is good.
Boom, this is the correct way to deal with it. Treat them like the mentally challenged minority they are.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Grifman wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Grifman wrote:

You really should try to better keep up with this thread. ;)
Rip

Post by Rip »

Grifman wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Grifman wrote:

Now go back and look up how to spell seriously....

:P
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grifman wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Grifman wrote:

I am just bemoaning that no one in this thread has bothered to have the common courtesy to post the link to the Vice News video. Why, in my day, people would post it three times in a single thread!
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Rip wrote:Boom, this is the correct way to deal with it. Treat them like the mentally challenged minority they are.
You don't ignore Nazis. We are better than this.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Trump is right there is a problem on the left with antifa:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ft/534192/

Though he's wrong in that it is any comparable to the problems on the far right:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... fa/537048/

That said, it disturbs me and should bother everyone else that the Republican Party in Portland could participate in a parade because of threats from the antifa movement.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

El Guapo wrote:I am just bemoaning that no one in this thread has bothered to have the common courtesy to post the link to the Vice News video. Why, in my day, people would post it three times in a single thread!
Such a snowflake! :)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:

Came to post this. Well deserved karma for this asshole.
Eh, he'll have a legal defense fund on wesearchr soon enough.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rip

Post by Rip »

Smoove_B wrote:
Rip wrote:Boom, this is the correct way to deal with it. Treat them like the mentally challenged minority they are.
You don't ignore Nazis. We are better than this.
We are better than the unruly property destroying anti-protest protestors that show up currently as well, but there you are. If people on either side could do their thing without seeking out physical confrontations with each other I would be all for it, but they have proven again and again that they can't.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

While a friend and his wife were visiting a few weeks ago we toured a few museums. One of them was the Holocaust Museum in Skokie, Il. It was an incredibly dark and depressing day, but I would recommend it to anyone coming to the Chicago area. It painfully and heartrendingly shows you what happens when you ignore racist, anti-semitic hate groups.

While I don't agree with violent confrontations, I do think they should be met in the streets with raised voices.
If people on either side could do their thing without seeking out physical confrontations with each other
How would a Neo-Nazi kill all the Jews without using violence? :?

'cause...you know...that's their "thing".
He won. Period.