Hearthstone

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: Hearthstone

Post by El Guapo »

The quest that I'm having the most trouble with is the Warrior one. Taunt minions are pretty plentiful and useful, so it's not like the Warrior really has to inconvenience himself all that much to fulfill the quest, and getting Sulfuras is pretty powerful. I haven't encountered the Rogue quest all that much yet, and when I did I've still been able to win (with the other quests too). But I haven't yet beaten a Warrior Quest deck.
Black Lives Matter.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I had enough dust at the beginning of the expansion to craft 2 legendaries, so I crafted Rogue and Warrior quest cards. Warrior is pretty solid, usually if I die, it's due to another warrior with better card draw, rogue with extremely lucky quest draw, or fatigue against Amara priest. Rogue is...hard. If you get lucky and get your quest condition before turn 5, great. But if not - against any aggro deck, quest warrior or dragon priest, you're toast. I got tired of playing that deck pretty quickly and now I regret spending dust on the quest card. I've moved to N'Zoth/deathrattle/Sherazin rogue...except I don't have Sherazin, so I either hope to get him from "discover deathrattle card" spell or do without. Not sure how strong this deck can be yet, but it's certainly more fun than bouncing 1-mana minions back and forth.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The only deck I've done consistently well with since the expansion is, surprisingly, dragon priest. I say surprisingly because a number of the essential cards in my old dragon priest deck got moved to Wild (Azure drake, Entomb, the dude that taunts-up when you have a dragon in your hand). I've just replaced those cards with non-dragon cards and I've been doing pretty great. In fact, I think I'm something like 8 - 2 in my last 10 games, moving up from level 15 to 12 in that time. It destroyed a Taunt Warrior quest deck, but I think I just got extremely lucky by drawing my removal cards exactly when needed.

My other decks have been getting stomped, however. It seems like all I face are quest rogues and quest warriors. The problem with quest rogues is if they draw the right cards, there's practically nothing you can do to stop them from completing the quest by turn 5.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I've heard silence priest is good, haven't tried it yet.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

This week's Tavern Brawl pack was pretty good to me...

Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Awesome! I haven't won yet sadly.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Here are the decks I'm running (others post their decks too!!) Level 12

### Burn Mage
# Class: Mage
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Mammoth
#
# 2x (1) Mana Wyrm
# 2x (2) Arcanologist
# 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
# 2x (2) Frostbolt
# 2x (2) Medivh's Valet
# 2x (2) Primordial Glyph
# 2x (3) Arcane Intellect
# 1x (3) Gluttonous Ooze
# 1x (3) Ice Barrier
# 2x (3) Ice Block
# 1x (3) Kabal Courier
# 1x (3) Volcanic Potion
# 2x (4) Fireball
# 1x (4) Polymorph
# 1x (5) Elise the Trailblazer
# 1x (6) Meteor
# 2x (7) Firelands Portal
# 1x (7) Flamestrike
# 1x (8) Medivh, the Guardian
# 1x (9) Alexstrasza
# 1x (10) Pyroblast
#
AAECAY0WDE3FBO0E7QXsB78IobcC6boCsLwC08UClscCz8cCCcABuwKVA6sElgWjtgLXtgLBwQKYxAIA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

### Murlocadin
# Class: Paladin
# Year of the Mammoth
#
# 2x (1) Grimscale Chum
# 2x (1) Murloc Tidecaller
# 2x (1) Vilefin Inquisitor
# 2x (2) Bluegill Warrior
# 2x (2) Hydrologist
# 2x (2) Rockpool Hunter
# 2x (3) Coldlight Seer
# 1x (3) Divine Favor
# 2x (3) Murloc Warleader
# 2x (4) Blessing of Kings
# 2x (4) Consecration
# 2x (4) Gentle Megasaur
# 2x (4) Truesilver Champion
# 1x (5) Finja, the Flying Star
# 1x (6) Spikeridged Steed
# 1x (6) Sunkeeper Tarim
# 1x (6) The Black Knight
# 1x (8) Tirion Fordring
#
AAECAYsWBqcF+gb4DOO+ArnBAojHAgzFA9sD3APjBc8GrwenCNOqAtO8ArPBAp3CArHCAgA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
### Murlocadin
# Class: Paladin
# Year of the Mammoth
#
# 2x (1) Grimscale Chum
# 2x (1) Murloc Tidecaller
# 2x (1) Vilefin Inquisitor
# 2x (2) Bluegill Warrior
# 2x (2) Hydrologist
# 2x (2) Rockpool Hunter
# 2x (3) Coldlight Seer
# 1x (3) Divine Favor
# 2x (3) Murloc Warleader
# 2x (4) Blessing of Kings
# 2x (4) Consecration
# 2x (4) Gentle Megasaur
# 2x (4) Truesilver Champion
# 1x (5) Finja, the Flying Star
# 1x (6) Spikeridged Steed
# 1x (6) Sunkeeper Tarim
# 1x (6) The Black Knight
# 1x (8) Tirion Fordring
#
AAECAYsWBqcF+gb4DOO+ArnBAojHAgzFA9sD3APjBc8GrwenCNOqAtO8ArPBAp3CArHCAgA=
#

### Custom Druid
# Class: Druid
# Year of the Mammoth
#
# 2x (0) Innervate
# 2x (1) Bloodsail Corsair
# 2x (1) Enchanted Raven
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 2x (1) Mark of the Lotus
# 1x (1) Patches the Pirate
# 2x (2) Mark of Y'Shaarj
# 2x (2) Power of the Wild
# 2x (3) Devilsaur Egg
# 2x (3) Eggnapper
# 2x (3) Savage Roar
# 2x (4) Soul of the Forest
# 1x (4) Spiritsinger Umbra
# 2x (4) Swipe
# 2x (4) Violet Teacher
# 2x (5) Living Mana
#
AAECAZICApG8AsnCAg5A/gH9AvcD5gXlB4UIwasCtrMCzbsChsECocICq8IC68ICAA==
#
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I got Jungle Giants in a pack the other day, so I went ahead and tried playing a druid quest deck - but this deck doesn't work in the beginning of the month when every deck is crazy aggro.

### Quest Druid
# Class: Druid
# Year of the Mammoth
#
# 2x (0) Innervate
# 1x (1) Earthen Scales
# 1x (1) Jungle Giants
# 2x (2) Tortollan Forager
# 2x (2) Wild Growth
# 2x (2) Wrath
# 1x (3) Coldlight Oracle
# 2x (3) Elder Longneck
# 2x (4) Shellshifter
# 2x (4) Swipe
# 2x (5) Nourish
# 2x (5) Stranglethorn Tiger
# 1x (5) Verdant Longneck
# 1x (6) Dark Arakkoa
# 2x (6) Menagerie Warden
# 2x (7) Ancient of War
# 1x (7) The Curator
# 1x (7) Volcanosaur
# 1x (9) Alexstrasza
#
AAECAZICCMUE+AfirwK5sgKLwAL5wAKLwQKgwQILQERf/gHEBosI5AiQtgKNwAL+wAKkwgIA
#

I like my Yogg/Lyra priest, it's fun to play (although 75% of the time I can't even get anything going with Lyra):

### Lyra Priest
# Class: Priest
# Year of the Mammoth
#
# 2x (1) Inner Fire
# 2x (1) Northshire Cleric
# 1x (1) Potion of Madness
# 2x (1) Power Word: Shield
# 2x (2) Divine Spirit
# 2x (2) Netherspite Historian
# 2x (2) Radiant Elemental
# 2x (2) Shadow Visions
# 2x (3) Kabal Talonpriest
# 2x (3) Tar Creeper
# 2x (4) Twilight Drake
# 2x (5) Drakonid Operative
# 1x (5) Holy Nova
# 1x (5) Lyra the Sunshard
# 2x (6) Book Wyrm
# 1x (6) Dragonfire Potion
# 1x (8) Primordial Drake
# 1x (10) Yogg-Saron, Hope's End
#
AAECAa0GBskG6awCtbsC6r8CyccCvsgCDPgC5QSNCNEK8gyqsgKCtQK6uwLwuwLRwQLYwQLKwwIA
#
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Thanks! I'll give those a shot.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

First 12-win Arena deck for me this expansion, and what seems like a long time. (Well, 11-win technically if you count the event's first win "gimme".) I didn't think much of the deck as I was drafting (only four 2-drops!), but it wound up having the right combination of utility, clears, and late-game. Vinecleaver shouldn't be underestimated.

Even got a Sleep with the Fishes I needed in the reward.

Enlarge Image

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I've yet to get more than 3 arena wins...ever, with any deck or class. I've tried using the tier lists on icy-veins, tried using my own logic, tried winging it, it doesn't matter. I understand that Blizzard gave us those 2 free arena runs to entice players to get into arena. All they did was remind me why I *never ever* waste gold on arena.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

gilraen wrote:I've yet to get more than 3 arena wins...ever, with any deck or class. I've tried using the tier lists on icy-veins, tried using my own logic, tried winging it, it doesn't matter. I understand that Blizzard gave us those 2 free arena runs to entice players to get into arena. All they did was remind me why I *never ever* waste gold on arena.
I hate arena. I put together random decks and immediately conceded so I could get the stupid quest out of my queue.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I enjoy arena but once you get late into an expansion's life, the packs are pretty useless as a reward. I think I've topped out at 8 wins a few times but never higher. Congrats on the 12-win run! Paladin has been one of the top classes in arena since the last expansion; it'll be interesting to see how the new expansion next week shakes things up.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yes congratulations on the 12 wins!!
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Thanks guys! Sorry, I don't mean to come on here to brag... I just find it interesting to log and review which decks get to 12.
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Paladin has been one of the top classes in arena since the last expansion; it'll be interesting to see how the new expansion next week shakes things up.
Spikeridged Steed is godlike....
gilraen wrote:I've yet to get more than 3 arena wins...ever, with any deck or class. I've tried using the tier lists on icy-veins, tried using my own logic, tried winging it, it doesn't matter. I understand that Blizzard gave us those 2 free arena runs to entice players to get into arena. All they did was remind me why I *never ever* waste gold on arena.
Lorini wrote:I hate arena. I put together random decks and immediately conceded so I could get the stupid quest out of my queue.
It's always so strange to read these contrasting viewpoints, since arena has always been what I've enjoyed the most. The surprise of the draft, having to make the best of a challenging curve, atypical synergies, etc.

I know you said you've tried online tier lists gilraen, but what about the Overwolf overlay? It also gives you an automatic in-game deck list to help you calculate draws/outs, etc. I doubt it will change your mind about arena overall, but it might be worth a try if you're taking advantage of this events free entry tickets, anyway.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I like Arena. It gets a little frustrating when I'm on a string of 0 - 2 win runs, but it's fun to draft and it gets things away from playing the same type of decks over and over again in ranked play. Never gotten up to twelve wins, though - best I have done is that I've gotten to 9 wins twice.

Also, Knights of the Frozen Throne is out, including three free packs when you log-in (plus whatever you have). I opened 10 packs - got the Malfurion death knight card, among other things.

The solo missions don't seem to be active yet, but I think they should be within a couple hours.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I got the Shaman death knight as part of my first 10 packs and the Druid non-death knight legendary a few packs later. I then crafted the Lich King. The shaman card should work well with my evolve deck.

Played a few quick standard games and won them all so far. The best was when I devolved my opponent's cards; one of them turned into the Warlock card that discards a card every time it takes damage. I then played Volcano, my opponent discarded about five cards and immediately conceded. It was glorious.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Bear in mind that you also get a free (random) death knight card upon completing the prologue mission. I got the Death Knight Anduin from that.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Are those missions up now? They weren't when I logged on two hours ago.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah they are.
Black Lives Matter.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Got the Lich King himself in my very first pack! Too perfect.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Bought 25 more packs with gold and got a Lillian Voss and Prince Keleseth! That's a pretty great initial pack opening and possibly my best expansion to date.

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Opened 25 packs, got 2 legendaries - Rotface and Bloodreaver Gul'dan, and 5 epics. Overall a pretty mediocre haul.

Edit: another 31 packs, 1 more legendary (Sindragosa) plus 5 more epics. 830 dust from duplicates.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Three legendaries out of 66 packs ain't terrible, though may not necessarily be the legendaries you wanted.

I got the Jaina DK from the prologue which I'm pretty happy about. So far it's been a pretty decent haul. Now the question is whether I spend my remaining 1K gold on packs or the Arena....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Black Lives Matter
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I opened 133 packs last night. Pack openings are so much fun. I got 9 legendaries from the packs and another from the prologue. Three were a golden Sindragosa, Thrall Deathseer, and Bloodreaver Gul'dan. I did not get the Lich King. I have enough dust to create him but I want to wait and see what card(s) I really need. WIth this expanision having so many cards and legendaries, there are a lot of cards that I don't have or only one, even after opening 133 packs. I paid for the pre-sale and spent all my in-game gold. Not going to buy more. I think someone said that you would need to open 500 packs to get all the cards.

Played the Fire and Ice mage prebuild, since I had all 30 cards. It seemed pretty powerful. Super fun to play. The lifesteal quickly brought me back from four health to full on one of the four games that I played. I would much rather do my own constructed decks. So today I'm going to try creating a priest deck.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I crafted Jaina Lich Queen mainly for the fun of it. From my experience it looks like 80% of unranked right now are Jaina Lich Queen decks, unsurprisingly. What was super frustrating was in my first few matches, in one Jaina was literally the secon card from the bottom, another I died with 7 cards left in my deck without drawing her. Obviously my opponents had already drawn and played the Lich Queen card. :grund:
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I bought a couple more packs with gold last night and got the Garrosh Death Knight card. Now up to four - Jaina (crafted), Garrosh, Anduin (prologue freebie), and Malfurion (drawn).
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Nice haul! I picked up Arfas from a pack this morning, bringing me up to 5 legendaries from the new set (one crafted). I've been messing around with a jade/taunt Druid since I got the legendary that summons all taunt minions that died. So far I've been doing pretty well with it. The spreading plague card has been the ace of this deck so far. It can completely turn the tables on aggressive decks.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

As a side note, when I crafted my Jaina DK deck, I called it "Lich Queen". Which my phone auto-corrected to "Lichtenstein Queen". Which amused me, so that's my new deck name.

All hail Jaina, Queen of Lichtenstein!
Black Lives Matter.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I got Malfurion the Pestilent as the reward for Prologue, and I also crafted the Lich King. I'm now playing a warlock deck that runs both DK Gul'dan and Lich King. It's shaky against pirate warrior and maybe jade decks (if they get really lucky card draw), but really good otherwise.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

gilraen wrote:I got Malfurion the Pestilent as the reward for Prologue, and I also crafted the Lich King. I'm now playing a warlock deck that runs both DK Gul'dan and Lich King. It's shaky against pirate warrior and maybe jade decks (if they get really lucky card draw), but really good otherwise.
Please post the code to it, I need a good warlock deck.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I got a golden DK Gul'Dan in a match as Anduin via Thoughsteal. I was so excited...then the jerk resigned right before I was about to cast DK Gul'Dan. :evil:
Black Lives Matter.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Lorini wrote:
gilraen wrote:I got Malfurion the Pestilent as the reward for Prologue, and I also crafted the Lich King. I'm now playing a warlock deck that runs both DK Gul'dan and Lich King. It's shaky against pirate warrior and maybe jade decks (if they get really lucky card draw), but really good otherwise.
Please post the code to it, I need a good warlock deck.
### Custom Warlock
# Class: Warlock
# Year of the Mammoth
#
# 1x (1) Mistress of Mixtures
# 2x (1) Mortal Coil
# 2x (1) Voidwalker
# 2x (2) Defile
# 2x (2) Drain Soul
# 2x (2) Tainted Zealot
# 2x (3) Earthen Ring Farseer
# 1x (3) Happy Ghoul
# 2x (3) Shadow Bolt
# 2x (4) Hellfire
# 1x (4) Shadowflame
# 2x (5) Despicable Dreadlord
# 2x (6) Dread Infernal
# 2x (6) Siphon Soul
# 2x (7) Abyssal Enforcer
# 1x (8) The Lich King
# 1x (8) Twisting Nether
# 1x (10) Bloodreaver Gul'dan
#
AAECAf0GBpMB2wbexAKfzgLCzgKX0wIMMJIHtgf7B8QIzAjzDN28AufLAqLNAvfNApfoAgA=
#

I was running it with Skulking Geist, but replaced it with a Shadowflame the last few matches because I started running into decks with fat sticky minions more than jades.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Thanks!
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm enjoying the Lich King fights at the end of the Frozen Throne solo missions. It's neat how each class gets a different drawback starting on turn one - Druid loses all creature cards in its deck with cost below 4, Shaman has all its minions (in hand + deck) reduced to 1/1, Mage gets reduced to one life (!) etc. If you beat him with every class you get an Arthas Hero profile. It's fun figuring out good decks to beat him with.

So far I've beaten him with Priest (which doesn't really get a drawback), and Shaman.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Hearthstone

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I've only beaten him with priest so far, but have only tried once with mage and druid but no other classes. I think the overall trick is to get everything ready to smack him before he loses his weapon; after that he more or less is doing out-of-cards damage to you each turn.

One trick for mage is to play until you get Kabal Lackey and Counterspell in your opening hand, thus countering his opening move.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

With Shaman I built a Deathseer / evolve deck with a lot of spells that summon creatures. Evolving or summoning creatures gets around the 1/1 creature restriction pretty well. Also the 3/1 windfury elemental for 1 is good to put in the deck and hold off until you have it in your opening hand, as you can summon it and wail on the Lich King for awhile, as he's unaffected by the 1/1 thing if you cast him on round 1.

Oh, and devolve will take care of Frostmourne right away (though that's admittedly not as good as using Shadow Word: Horror as the priest).
Black Lives Matter.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Yes, really enjoy the Lich King battles. In fact, I would like Blizzard to do similar challenges for all future expansions. Really fun trying to come up with different strategies. I've beat him with priest and warrior so far. Priest took me the most time to come up with a beatable deck than with the Warrior. Warrior I just used taunts and shielded up.

I loved the new cinematic for hearthstone. Hope they do more with it.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Last week's Brawl was a ton of fun. Got to play all those high-cost cards that never get seen because they're too slow. Priest was a beast. Also, love the ones that let you build your own decks so you can easily finish quests.

So, finally got another legendary. It's... Archbishop Benedictus? I've not been this disappointed since I opened my third The Beast.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Closing in on Arthas - just need to beat the Lich King with the Paladin, Hunter, and Warrior. Though those all seem fairly daunting - with the Hunter it seems like the Death Knight Hunter hero would be hugely useful, but I don't have it and don't have the dust / inclination to craft it.

With the Mage once I knew of the Kabal Lackey / Counterspell combo it wasn't that hard to beat with a variant on my Frost Lich deck, though it was a little annoying to have to keep hitting "restart" until the Lackey / Counterspell combo showed up.
Black Lives Matter.