Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

geezer

Re: Fun car suggestions

Post by geezer »

Zoom zoom!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Because they prefer to sell a car off the lot rather than bring one in, they also offered an attractive price on a red Club with the Brembo package -- ordinarily a $3400 option, they dropped its cost to $2700 (and I'm sure they would've come down more if I'd bit, since that was their opening gambit). But even if they'd dropped it another $700 I'd still be have to pay an extra $2000 for an option that I neither need nor want, so I didn't go there. I told them I'd take the Brembo car at the base Club price if they really wanted to clear it off the lot...apparently they weren't prepared to go that far. :lol:
mori

Post by mori »

You don't want the Brembo option unless you track the car. Otherwise it is another expense to maintain.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Taking my old car for its last drive felt like taking a pet for its last vet visit. Then this made me feel better. A lot better.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Purty
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I find myself a little bit jealous. I am not sure when I will find myself in a position to buy a car with so few seats though.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
geezer

Post by geezer »

Very nice :)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Woo!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I look forward to revisiting this topic in 15 years.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Sweet! :auto-car:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yes I know this is my third reply to this post... that may be an indicator of how much I need a new car.

I love Mazda's styling. I wish they would put out a new Speed 3. Heck I would even jump on a Speed CX-3.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Fifteen years from now, when all new cars are autonomous and electric, "fun to drive" won't be an option anymore. You need a new car now. :twisted:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

One thing I'm noticing about older rag top miatas around here is that the rear window is frequently missing.

Is that a known issue?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Congrats, very nice!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think its a Toyota but what is it?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Daehawk wrote:I think its a Toyota but what is it?
Poll: do people call it a "Mazda Miata" or "I dunno some kind of Toyota I guess"?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For Kraken. Thought he might like this short video on the Miata when it was 25 from around 2014.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Interesting, thanks for posting. I loves me my Miatas.

My new one is confined to the garage because I opted not to replace the OEM high-performance summer tires with all-weather tires, and swapping a set of winter wheels is too much hassle. That means I can't (or at least shouldn't) drive it when the roads are at all slippery or the temperature is much below freezing. Wife doesn't commute by car anymore, so her Fit is available most of the time. Consequently my car only has 1,500 miles on it and I don't expect to take it out again until March, although it might peek out once or twice before then when we get warm spells. I do need to start it once a week to keep the battery charged.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

My 2007 Miata is just approaching 35k miles. :)

I actually had a fairly long commute when I purchased it. However, that didn't last too long. Went to a short commute followed by working at home. I'm terrible about starting it up when it sits. But my first battery still lasted until late 2016. It was limping along pretty bad at the end. Having a trickle charger helped with that.

I do wish I had a good reason to drive it more. I keep trying to convince the wife that she should start driving it. She finally did a few times, so maybe in the spring.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Same story with my '04 NB. It only had 35k when I traded it, and 5k came in the first year when I had a long daily commute.

The ND has a lot more electronic gizmos that constantly sip battery juice, so (like virtually all contemporary cars) it can't hold a charge for months, and the last couple weeks of sub-freezing temperatures haven't helped.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I had to get rid of my '99 Volvo S70. It lost the reverse gear, and this was the 2nd transmission I put it in. The car's falling apart and I said enough is enough. I'm paying more than $400 just the park the darn thing each month, such as the craziness in San Francisco. I've been car free for a few months, subsisting on Lyft and Zipcar, and so far, it's nice. My ride with Lyft generally is about $5 or $6 each way and if I need to shop I'll just go ZipCar for 2 hours or so, which comes out to about $30-45 a trip depending on what car I got. I don't need to worry about gas or parking (except for where I go) or even insurance (I pay a few bucks extra so there's zero deductible if I ever do need it), and I get to drive some interesting cars.

Most surprising car -- Honda Fit, the car that's smaller than the Civic. It's surprisingly roomy inside (except the trunk) and very well equipped (backup camera and all that) and actually not that slow if you stomp the gas a bit.

Most luxurious car -- MB C-Class (C300) the Nav interface is atrocious, but the car's great. I can almost imagine renting this for a night out (and it's cheaper renting for night time use too)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

So here's a thing that happened while my car was sitting in the garage:

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

At first I blamed my cat. But upon further consideration, Wife and I agreed that these scratches are too deep and wide to be from cat claws...plus no cat has ever deliberately scratched any of our cars, ever. Best guess is that a dog (or maybe a bear, or a grue) chased one of the cats into the garage. Cat used the car as a stepstool to reach the rafters, as he routinely does. Dog became agitated and jumped up against the side of the car, repeatedly, while trying to pursue, probably barking its fool head off. Some stuff had been knocked off shelves, too, probably in the heat of pursuit.

We'll never know exactly what happened, but that's my best guess and I'm sticking with it. In that last pic you can even kinda tell where the left paw and right paw went.

I had made four car payments before this happened.

None of the scratches penetrated to bare metal, so I'm hoping that fixing superficial damage to the paint will not cost a major fortune or look obvious. It's just another expense and hassle that I need to deal with, and sooner would be better.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Ouch. That blows. :(

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's probably ghosts.
Black Lives Matter.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I'd had the only brand new vehicle I've ever bought six days when a chunk of tire flew off some hooptie pickup in front of me on the interstate, and struck my hood. Nice gouge it left, I've bought used ever since. lol
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Zipcar'ed a BMW 328i yesterday. Too bad it's in a garage too far from me (3/4 of a mile) and while it's comfy, and drives nice, it's a bit costly at $16 per hour. It really *does* handle differently from a Civic or whatever, and with start-stop and other fancy tricks, it is quite miserly in fuel (combined MPG of about 25-26) not that I care about such things, as Zipcar includes fuel).

For pure luxury, I can zipcar a MB C300 for about the same cost. ;)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

First body shop estimates $1000-1100 to fix those scratches. They basically have to sand down and repaint two quarter panels and overspray the door to make everything match perfectly. (There are a couple of scratches on the front fender, and one on the bumper). It's extra-pricey because of a triple clearcoat.

I'm going to get estimates from two other shops. I expect them to be in that same ballpark.

Now I need to contact GEICO and see if insurance would cover it. Since it's not collision damage, would my $500 deductible apply? How much would a $1000 claim raise my rate?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id keep the scratches.
mori

Post by mori »

Super Bowl party a buddy hit my truck with his while rushing his wife to the ER with allergic reaction of some sort. Got a flat tire and a broken tail light as well as body damage out of it. So until I can get the light and tire fixed I have been driving my Fiesta ST. High performance summer tires in Minnesota during winter is not a good combination. Talk about no grip. Driving like grandpa just trying to keep it on the road. Everyone else is flying past me on the road while I give it a little gas and my tires spin. I was going to get winter tires for it back in November but decided I would just drive my truck most of the time so no need to buy and extra set of tires for a car that would just sit :doh: . Hopefully Friday the parts will arrive and I can get the light replaced and then take it to a service station and get the tire patched.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

On Thursday I will find out how GEICO handles claims. I have an appointment with an adjuster. My $500 deductible applies, so whether I file or not depends on how much over that they will cover. (If they assess the repairs at $750, for example, I'm not going to file a claim to get a $250 payout...if they agree with the other shop that it's going to be $1100, though, I'm inclined to take the $600). I'm also not going to bite at their "express repairs" where I drop my car off then and there and take a rental home -- their adjuster is "conveniently" located at an Enterprise dealer, but I don't need a rental and I don't have the rental coverage. My car lives in the garage all winter. I can do without it for a week or two.

Probably will end up paying the whole bill myself at the body shop of my choice, but it would be nice to limit it to $500, and the adjuster can cut me a check on the spot so I'm going to have to think on my feet. Of course GEICO's agent would not tell me how this claim might affect my premiums...I just assume that they would increase by more than enough for the insurer to get their payout back. Insurers are not in the business of giving out free money.

Anybody got any experience with filing a GEICO claim? Specifically, how much did they pay you and what happened to your premiums?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

GEICO paying a claim - now that's surprising!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Comprehensive covers "acts of nature," which apparently encompasses marauding dogs. There was no question about whether they would cover it. The big question is how much their adjuster will allow. I got my own estimate so that I can persuade him to see things my way.
mori

Post by mori »

I think the adjuster would go with your shop's estimate unless he thinks it is wildly inaccurate and believes you have some under the table shenanigans arranged with the shop. Assuming in your state you can take your car wherever you wish to get it repaired.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Kraken wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:57 pm Fifteen years from now, when all new cars are autonomous and electric, "fun to drive" won't be an option anymore. You need a new car now. :twisted:
Funny enough I just used this line of reasoning to justify a Nissan Maxima SR Midnight Edition. I got a 2017 with 1378 miles on it for a steal! Ive never won so good at a dealership. I almost felt bad for them. Ill upload a pic later but this is a good review on its sportyness.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

4 doors...so handy ...so comfy......so un sporty :)
morlac

Post by morlac »

As close as I can get with an 8 year old still living with us. Ive only had for 2 days but so far fun :D
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:29 pm 4 doors...so handy ...so comfy......so un sporty :)
So not true. Sooooo not true, as a BMW M5 can attest.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'll never give up driving a manual transmission. Switching to an automatic would be one step short of going into a nursing home.

The CVT in that video does a nice impression of shifting, though.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

My back finally couldn't take the FR-S any more. It was a fun car, but it was just a bit too small for me. I traded it for a Mustang GT, 6 speed manual with the Perf Pack 1. I can't wait to get it out to the track in a month or so!

Enlarge Image
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Nice. Too bad they only had it in primer gray. ;)