Space, er, I mean, Star Citizen

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Punisher

Re: Space, er, I mean, Star Citizen

Post by Punisher »

I'm still gonna keep faith.. I think I have about $150 tied up in it and right now that is not going to break me..
My feeling is this.. It doesn't seem like vaporware yet... They do keep releasing updates for backers to mess around with. Yes it is past due as a whole, but I have other things to occupy me.
I do get pangs of concern when I read about possible money troubles, but have not seen any real evidence produced yet.
and I read the random Derek Smart posts, but don't put much stock in them. He has lost a lot of credibility with me (and other people) due to his history...
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

With all of the other developmental hurdles complete, they've decided to Andy Serkis you.

Since I have no intention of setting up a webcam, let alone use a mic or even play multiplayer, this development excites me.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Paingod wrote:With all of the other developmental hurdles complete, they've decided to Andy Serkis you.

Since I have no intention of setting up a webcam, let alone use a mic or even play multiplayer, this development excites me.
OMG. The uncanny valley is a FEATURE now?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish they'd just STOP. All I wanted was the single player S42 with a mp galaxy to be in when I wanted...like Elite is. They just keep adding shit. Granted the fps part looks fun. But come on. When do long space haul diapers go in? How about space hookers so you get space herpes.

EDIT:...RSI dont read this!!
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote:When do long space haul diapers go in? How about space hookers so you get space herpes.
I look forward to the space herpes cream application minigame.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
KDH

Post by KDH »

$45K Star Citizen Refund?

:tjg: ... A post to reddit in a sub-reddit called Star Citizen Refunds claims what seems like it must be the largest game refund in history (thanks Rollory). This says a corporate entity secured a refund for three Star Citizen "Completionist" packages originally purchased for $15,000 each, making the grand total for their refund $45,000. Here's the story:
There was lots of arguing within our guild, but in the end the whales who had contributed the most had the final say, and we refunded our three completionist packages, originally purchased at $15k each, so $45k total refund. We sidelined many other great games and commercial opportunities waiting for Star Citizen, but in the end we can't wait any longer, and a new generation is joining also who have absolutely no interest. The final straw was evidence presented the committee of Chris Roberts blatantly lying, we don't mind the delays but couldn't handle the lies anymore, and it left us wondering what else he is knowingly lying about.

It was a nightmare getting the refund, we are a commercial org and pooled the money to buy the completionist packages, and used a corporate card to buy them, so we had major issues with getting refunded to the same card, paypal and then providing ID. Total it took about 5 weeks to get sorted. A lot of time was spent trying to explain the situation to some woman called "Schala" and just getting the same answers copied and pasted backwards and forwards, they definitely try to delay you as much as possible in the hope you'll forget or give up.

I prefer to remain anonymous as the guild can easily be linked back to my personal identity, and we all know how insane and potentially dangerous the few remaining Star Citizen believers can be. I'll put some juicy screenshots below however.

Thanks for all your help here guys, we couldn't have done it without the support and guidance of this subreddit.

spotted @ blues

... and .. refund story disputed by RSI
Cloud Imperium spokesperson Dave Swofford tells Ars that "a lot of the information was fabricated" in the Reddit post discussed the below. Swofford says the account in question was issued an individual refund of $330, not the $45,000 claimed
Ain't nobody got time for that
KDH

Post by KDH »

:coffee: ... Because 169 million isn't enough

Star Citizen now offering .. Land Claims

Q&A: .. Land Claim Licenses

Video: .. 41 minutes
"Please Note: These claim licenses are being made available for pledging to help fund Star Citizen’s development. The ability to obtain these claim licenses will ultimately be available for in-game credits and/or otherwise earnable through play in the game. Pledging for these claim licenses now allows us to include deeper features in the Star Citizen game, and is not required for starting the game."

VG247 notes that these parcels are priced like full games, ranging from $50 to $100
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

wow.

Is vaporware one word or 2?

Vaporware

Vapor ware

hmmm
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Can I mine or otherwise exploit someone else’s land without permission?
Yes, although doing so is a serious crime and UEE security will respond if you are sighted. There’s a lot of real estate within a solar system and limited patrols, though, so property owners worried about the theft of their assets will often want to supplement public security forces with enhanced monitoring hardware and automated defense drones, hire their own dedicated mercenaries, or potentially join or negotiate a defense contract with a large organization.
Great. They're introducing a new griefing mechanic. If you don't have the resources to directly protect your land and property, people will destroy it for you. Even if you do, I expect people to destroy it for you.

I never wanted the epic space combat, trade, and exploration simulator I was buying into to become a land-grab and Ultima Online style pillaging simulator. I'm sorely tempted to ask for my money back. I suppose the alternative is to swap out my MISC Freelancer DUR for cash, get a $100 plot, and troll other people by grabbing a prime plot on day 1 and never utilizing it.
Black Lives Matter

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Paingod wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:08 am I never wanted the epic space combat, trade, and exploration simulator I was buying into to become a land-grab and Ultima Online style pillaging simulator. I'm sorely tempted to ask for my money back. I suppose the alternative is to swap out my MISC Freelancer DUR for cash, get a $100 plot, and troll other people by grabbing a prime plot on day 1 and never utilizing it.
Apparently you can't purchase the land claim license with store credit, so I don't know if it would be possible to swap out a ship to buy one. They have it flagged as a "warbond ship", so they are specifically using this to lure in new funding.

I would presume that the better option would be to pretend that the land-claim subsystem just doesn't exist.

<insert "Doesn't exist, just like the rest of the game." joke here>
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

No joke, man. Despite the cash I have in the game, I don't feel heavily invested and have written it all off in my head. If/when the game comes out, I'll very likely pretend the land system doesn't exist and get on with the rest of my life.
Black Lives Matter

killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

That's how I play Elite Dangerous. I avoid planetary activities unless absolutely necessary. They take 3x longer than space missions and I die all the time. :P
There is no hug button. Sad!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Crytek sues Star Citizen dev for illegal use of Cryengine.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/12/14/ ... -cryengine
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I look forward to the new Legal Brief starcruiser to be announced shortly. Available for the low, low, payment of 20 hours of legal services.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
KDH

Post by KDH »

I may not be able to show the page, due to my lack of VIP status, but .. Star citizen is selling Tanks .. starting at $95 ----> $725

PCInvasion.com
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Well that makes total sense. It's not like there's a game called Ground Citizen selling spaceships. That would be crazy!

This endeavor has already jumped the shark and is circling for another try. This is Battlecruiser 3K ridiculous on a DN4/Half-Life 3 time frame.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Sadly it's not a huge stretch.

If they've put together the tech and engine to allow people to sync up in moving starships and engage in FPS combat seamlessly AND have established a full ground model with bases and landscapes, then folding in land-based vehicles beyond the existing buggies seems like a "simple" ploy to earn more money.

I'm not even sure what the hell this game is anymore.
Black Lives Matter

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

killbot737 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:39 am Well that makes total sense. It's not like there's a game called Ground Citizen selling spaceships. That would be crazy!

This endeavor has already jumped the shark and is circling for another try. This is Battlecruiser 3K ridiculous on a DN4/Half-Life 3 time frame.
That would be an insult to Derek Smart. He, at least, released a game, as clunky as it was. This is isn't even an alpha yet after several years and over $150MM+.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Paingod wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:40 am Sadly it's not a huge stretch.

If they've put together the tech and engine to allow people to sync up in moving starships and engage in FPS combat seamlessly AND have established a full ground model with bases and landscapes, then folding in land-based vehicles beyond the existing buggies seems like a "simple" ploy to earn more money.
But they haven't. The engine they selected is not capable of doing what they have promised. The engine might have been able to support the game as originally envisioned but they've added so much stuff and made so many promises that the engine can't support all that has been promised through years.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Grifman wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:41 am
killbot737 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:39 am Well that makes total sense. It's not like there's a game called Ground Citizen selling spaceships. That would be crazy!

That would be an insult to Derek Smart. He, at least, released a game, as clunky as it was. This is isn't even an alpha yet after several years and over $150MM+.
That is true. I should give Cleve some credit then as well. Maybe Chris will add neanderthals to SC and finally publish in another 15 years.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

killbot737 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:13 pm
Grifman wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:41 am

That is true. I should give Cleve some credit then as well. Maybe Chris will add neanderthals to SC and finally publish in another 15 years.
Neanderthals are available for purchase at $9.99 each, or $800 for a lot of 100. They have no present function, but the graphical rendering of their forehead slope is truly impressive.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Rumor has it that Star Citizen is now offering a Legatus Pack for .. $27,000.00 ... the details are listed on a page that throws a 404-error unless you have already spent $1000.00 (in other words, already a whale)

(117 ships)
(163 extras)

here is an image:
Enlarge Image

and a discussion
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Somebody will buy it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Is this still a thing? I just assumed that everyone involved had slunk off into the night with all the money they pulled out of all the suckers who fell for this. :?
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Is Star Citizen a money laundering enterprise or something? Who in the hell is going to spend that kind of money??
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

At this point, I think folks are just doubling down so they don’t have to admit to friends that they sold their homes to pay for personalized in game bedsheets
Covfefe!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

hentzau wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:41 am Here. Take my money.
Well, they got that part down.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

So for $27,000 I can skip playing the game and go right to the ending where I have everything and get tired of playing?
Black Lives Matter

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:11 pm personalized in game bedsheets
Hey don't give away all the good ideas. I'm almost ready to launch my line of nonexistent spaceship air fresheners.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

wonderpug wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:33 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:11 pm personalized in game bedsheets
Hey don't give away all the good ideas. I'm almost ready to launch my line of nonexistent spaceship air fresheners.
What scents do they come in? Common? Wait, this is Star Citizen, probably not.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Holman

Post by Holman »

This project is such a weird phenomenon.

Think of what they could have done without the bloat and tulipomania.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My latest email from them has a redone pose in it . I can barely see a difference. I see this stuff and shake my head and roll my eyes at all the money and this is how they use it.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Alefroth wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:04 pm
hentzau wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:41 am Here. Take my money.
Well, they got that part down.
Funny thing, after posting this original post, I got a really bad feeling about this and never ended up backing. For once it my life, I actually listened to the little voices in my head and they didn't lead me into ruin!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

That $195,000,000 in crowd-sourced funding, it's all right up there on the screen.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

who knew there was so much sound in what should be a vacuum.....very realistic.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Been six years now.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Sheesh. I backed it at what I remember to be the lowest possible level, 35 space bucks I think. At this point I don't really give a crap if it comes out or not. :|
-mf
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:58 am Sheesh. I backed it at what I remember to be the lowest possible level, 35 space bucks I think. At this point I don't really give a crap if it comes out or not. :|
Same
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I wrote off my "investment" a long time ago. Now I just shake my head in dismay anytime I see an update. $195 million budget. 6 years. Still not finished.
Black Lives Matter