Gems of War (new F2P Match 3 by Puzzle Quest creator)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Tao

Re: Gems of War (new F2P Match 3 by Puzzle Quest creator)

Post by Tao »

Princess Fizz is also available for purchase in the weekly Glory shop. RNG was not kind to me this week, I dropped just shy of 100 event keys and got the same 3 damn cards over and over, Black Beast, Rocket and Hobgoblin.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
PLW

Post by PLW »

Really, any goblin that explodes gems will work to get the infinite-turn loop going, since you can use them to deliver mana to Fizz.
PLW

Post by PLW »

Yep... she's totally OP. I just actually traited and skilled a Goblin team, and it's winning matches easily that I have no business winning, leading to my first ever 5-0 in Guild Wars.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

PLW wrote:Yep... she's totally OP. I just actually traited and skilled a Goblin team, and it's winning matches easily that I have no business winning, leading to my first ever 5-0 in Guild Wars.
I'm enjoying my Goblin team but she and the rest of them will get naturally nerfed right after this week's bonuses disappear.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
PLW

Post by PLW »

Maybe. But the power isn't in the stats, rather in the ability to control the board. I pretty much end up with near-infinite turns, so it will just end up taking a few extra loops to kill people.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

PLW wrote:Yep... she's totally OP. I just actually traited and skilled a Goblin team, and it's winning matches easily that I have no business winning, leading to my first ever 5-0 in Guild Wars.
OTOH, my "A Team" has no problem beating an AI controlled (obviously) powerhouse goblin team that is several thousand power points above mine.

I think someone mentioned it before on this thread, but I don't have a lot of confidence in those numbers. VERY general idea of power, but I think power mostly defined by how many traits the team has, and of course some traits are practically worthless when the blows start flying.

I saw a patch or something get downloaded this morning. Anyone know what that was? It was relatively small...just wondering if they dialed anything back in that.

Also, for fun, please post:
1. Your goto soul farming team

2. Your goto traitstone farming team

I often kill two birds with one stone, and use my soul farming team when searching for traitstones. Why not? (a bit slower, sure, but overall?)

Traitors:
Valk
Flesh Golem
Warlock
Warlock

Soul Patrol:
Elspeth
Bombot
Black Manacles
Troglodyte
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

She got nerfed this morning. Instead of blowing up green AND giving the bonus she now blows up green OR gives the bonus.

I don't have a traitstone team and know nothing about farming for them. Any information you'd care to share on finding specific ones would be welcome as there are multiple guys I'd like to trait up but am missing a stone here or there.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

This page will tell you where to find what stones, and what troops need them: http://gowdb.com/kingdomtable

Or in game, you can click on a troop, click on CRAFTING, then TRAITS, then click on one of the required traitstones itself to see a list of the kingdoms where you can farm them.

As for a team that actually farms traitstones, you want something that kills as quickly as possible, and a fully traited Princess Elspeth + high level, (traits not necessary) bombot fills that role pretty well. Black manacles is there for the hopeful insta-devour, or at least high level damage to all troops. If your team is high enough level, you can knock out a match in just a few turns (on Normal difficulty, obviously).
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

So farming them is simply finishing fights quickly? There is not some other trick to getting higher level ones?

also, thanks for the link. :D
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Remus West wrote:So farming them is simply finishing fights quickly? There is not some other trick to getting higher level ones?

also, thanks for the link. :D
Nope, that's it. From what I have read, NORMAL will yield an arcane traitstone just as quickly (or not!) as on a WARLORD difficulty level, so if only interested in traitstones, no reason to crank up the difficulty level, thus prolonging the match.

If I am going to farm (I don't do it very much, because it's simply not fun), I will usually combine and use a soul farming team in a kingdom where I need a traitstone. And I will usually crank up the difficulty to get the soul bonus % as well. It does take longer than straight up traitstone farming, no question, but I am in constant need of souls, so worth it for me personally.

If I need ONE traitstone to get a trait I really want, I use the Traitors team in that kingdom for maybe 5 or 6 times since it's so quick (or use the Soulforge, recently).
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

+1
I steamrolled right through teams that had WAY more attack points than me.
It was fun while it lasted.....
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Tao

Post by Tao »

Tried out a goblin team last night; Nobend Brothers, Princess Fizzbang, Hobgoblin and Goblin Rocket. Couple of the cards had some traits but not fully. Was fun for awhile doing the infinite turns but matches took waaay too long to finish compared to my regular team. Sucks that they already nerfed Fizzbang already but was expected and I doubt I would have used them any longer regardless.

I don't have a specific trait hunting team, my soul farming team was;

Dragon Egg
Dragon Soul
Death
another dragon usually either Krystenax, Dragontaur or Dragon Monk
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Tao wrote:Tried out a goblin team last night; Nobend Brothers, Princess Fizzbang, Hobgoblin and Goblin Rocket. Couple of the cards had some traits but not fully. Was fun for awhile doing the infinite turns but matches took waaay too long to finish compared to my regular team. Sucks that they already nerfed Fizzbang already but was expected and I doubt I would have used them any longer regardless.

I don't have a specific trait hunting team, my soul farming team was;

Dragon Egg
Dragon Soul
Death
another dragon usually either Krystenax, Dragontaur or Dragon Monk
As long as you are only soul farming and not PvPing Warlock X3 and Valkyrie is a fantastic team. With Soul Armor and doing explore at warlord 3 I get 350 souls per match.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

So, it looks like you can't earn gems from guild tasks anymore. That totally sucks.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

ColdSteel wrote:So, it looks like you can't earn gems from guild tasks anymore. That totally sucks.
And they removed the gem keys as well. They add a new resource eater and remove some of your resource gathering avenues? Welcome to pay to win. :obscene-birdiered:
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

rshetts2 wrote:
ColdSteel wrote:So, it looks like you can't earn gems from guild tasks anymore. That totally sucks.
And they removed the gem keys as well. They add a new resource eater and remove some of your resource gathering avenues? Welcome to pay to win. :obscene-birdiered:
I hadnt noticed that. That really sucks
T

Post by T »

Cortilian wrote:
rshetts2 wrote:
I hadnt noticed that. That really sucks
They might be shooting themselves in the foot with this one. I have no problem with them making money, but I put in $20 or so and I feel at that level I should get some sort of a gem income.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

T wrote:I feel at that level I should get some sort of a gem income.
Right now it looks like the only way to get more gems is to do the daily dungeon and then use the Soulforge to convert the shards you get there into gems. You can probably get a few gems a day that way. I don't know, it kind of feels like they're telling me I shouldn't be playing their game anymore. Looks like only whales need apply these days.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
T

Post by T »

ColdSteel wrote:
T wrote:I feel at that level I should get some sort of a gem income.
Right now it looks like the only way to get more gems is to do the daily dungeon and then use the Soulforge to convert the shards you get there into gems. You can probably get a few gems a day that way. I don't know, it kind of feels like they're telling me I shouldn't be playing their game anymore. Looks like only whales need apply these days.
My point exactly. I get that whales are the major income source for these kinds of games. What I don't like is lumping the non-whale ($5-$20 or so) players with the F2P's. For $20 I expect something of substance, especially for a mobile puzzle game. I feel if I didn't spend anything I'd be no worse off.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Cortilian wrote:sucks
rshetts2 wrote:Welcome to pay to win
T wrote:shooting themselves in the foot
We're not the only ones. It appears this has created quite an uproar in the community. It's been a great couple of years and I've really enjoyed it but I think I may see the end coming for this game. At least as far as my participation goes. They keep making bad design decisions that are going to drive people away and end up relying on a smaller and smaller group of players to buy gems and keep them afloat. That rarely ends well.
T

Post by T »

ColdSteel wrote:
Cortilian wrote:sucks
rshetts2 wrote:Welcome to pay to win
T wrote:shooting themselves in the foot
We're not the only ones. It appears this has created quite an uproar in the community. It's been a great couple of years and I've really enjoyed it but I think I may see the end coming for this game. At least as far as my participation goes. They keep making bad design decisions that are going to drive people away and end up relying on a smaller and smaller group of players to buy gems and keep them afloat. That rarely ends well.
You're probably right, but I'll give it some time to see how they respond.
Carpet_pissr

Gems of War (new F2P Match 3 by Puzzle Quest creator)

Post by Carpet_pissr »

These casual games don't last forever. I'm sure we are just on the part of the timeline in the game's life cycle where the business side of the dev team kicked it into 'final phase' or whatever is on the whiteboard. That may mean "profits have dipped below x, therefore change y function in game to maximize profit from small group of hardcore players. Repeat until profits reach x%, then launch GoW2"

Too bad I started playing so late in the cycle, I was just starting to get some crazy powerful teams!

The grind for traitstones is too much though. Just not fun.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Seems I was wrong. You can't craft gems in the soulforge, just diamonds. It looks like the treasure hunt mini-game may be the only way to get gems currently without buying them? Or is there another way, maybe?
PLW

Post by PLW »

ColdSteel wrote:Seems I was wrong. You can't craft gems in the soulforge, just diamonds. It looks like the treasure hunt mini-game may be the only way to get gems currently without buying them? Or is there another way, maybe?
Kingdom tributes?
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Okay, with the start of the new week it appears that you can still earn gems as a guild reward task but at some point it becomes capped. So, we can still earn something like maybe 250 gems a week from guild tasks before the reward changes to non-gems. That's not as bad as I feared and is actually much worse for the bigger guilds than it is for us.
T

Post by T »

ColdSteel wrote:Okay, with the start of the new week it appears that you can still earn gems as a guild reward task but at some point it becomes capped. So, we can still earn something like maybe 250 gems a week from guild tasks before the reward changes to non-gems. That's not as bad as I feared and is actually much worse for the bigger guilds than it is for us.
Yep. I'm okay with this.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

PLW wrote:
ColdSteel wrote:Seems I was wrong. You can't craft gems in the soulforge, just diamonds. It looks like the treasure hunt mini-game may be the only way to get gems currently without buying them? Or is there another way, maybe?
Kingdom tributes?
Events. Do the event challenges and you can get some Gems as reward. I forget what this weeks is. Something about Baba Yaga.
PLW

Post by PLW »

You have to kill Urskaya in Explore mode. Easy peasy.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

PLW wrote:You have to kill Urskaya in Explore mode. Easy peasy.
I actually hate those quests though because I can never find the proper type of thing in explore. I've done explore in the "correct" region and found 1 of the required type in 3 battles there. :?
PLW

Post by PLW »

Remus West wrote:
PLW wrote:You have to kill Urskaya in Explore mode. Easy peasy.
I actually hate those quests though because I can never find the proper type of thing in explore. I've done explore in the "correct" region and found 1 of the required type in 3 battles there. :?
Use "retreat" liberally.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Better still, don't enter a battle without at least one Urska on the other team. Just go to another area (Guild for instance), then come back and hit Explore again. Will be a different team.

Very grindy, to be sure. They could reduce the grindiness a bit by making small changes like that (a refresh button, for instance). But their goals are not aligned to "be less grindy", so.... :D
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I totally skip the grindy stuff. No scumming for traitstones, and no reward is worth that level of grinditude via explores. IMO.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The Meal wrote:I totally skip the grindy stuff. No scumming for traitstones, and no reward is worth that level of grinditude via explores. IMO.
I just started traitstone farming, and I agree, not worth it, not fun.

Soul farming is a lot faster and easier though, and I really only do it occasionally if I am low.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
The Meal wrote:I totally skip the grindy stuff. No scumming for traitstones, and no reward is worth that level of grinditude via explores. IMO.
I just started traitstone farming, and I agree, not worth it, not fun.

Soul farming is a lot faster and easier though, and I really only do it occasionally if I am low.
My only farming type activity is to do the Arena regularly. 8 wins there nets 2000+ souls which seems a pretty good return.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yeah, and I also like the mechanic there...introduces you to troops you would not normally play with. But it's a bit long...should be 5 battles IMO.

Also, LOVE this week's new troop - an Urska with triple "anti" traits?! Awesome. Really fits in with my very specific counter teams playstyle (I have an 'anti' team for every troop type minus centaurs I think).
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Post them, C_p!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The Meal wrote:Post them, C_p!
Alrighty:

One note...the addition of this week's uber "anti" troop has made me shuffle and consider using him in more than one of these, and I am still in that process...but here goes what I have TODAY:

ANTI DRAGON(this is the only one so far that I have reworked due to the new bear troop):
Revised, with not much use yet to see how effective:

Brown/Green bonus
Urska Savage
Dragon Cruncher
Green Seer
Forest Troll

Previous version of team:
Dragon Knight
Dragon Cruncher
Dryad (to protect Dragon Knight primarily)
?? Can't remember who I had here, but likely someone to feed red, maybe Banshee or maybe another Dragon Cruncher)

ANTI KNIGHT
Green/purple bonus

Skeleton
Vampire Lord
Bunni Nog (if I had two of these, I would probably sub one in for Vamp Lord since he's not great)
Giant Spider (to feed three purples above)

ANTI HUMAN
Red/yellow bonus
Goblin
Ghoul
Green Seer
Deep Borer

Anti Giant:
Brown/yellow bonus
Keghammer
Keghammer
Dragon Cruncher
Mercy

Anti Mech
Not sure I have EVER used this one, as I never come across all or mostly mech teams, but still:
Red/yellow bonus
Blast Cannon
Ghiralee
Star Gazer
Justice/ another Blast Cannon/Lady Anariel/Sea Troll

ANTI DIVINE
Shadowblade
Crimson Bat
Valk
Giant Spider

(wow I did have an anti-centaur team after all!)
ANTI CENTAUR
Atlanta
Wild Fang
Giant Spider
Rock Spirit/Alchemist/Kerberos/Great Maw

Anti Orc
All green bonus
Dark Song
Famine (maybe another Dark Song here if you don't have Famine)
Sekhma
Giant Spider

ANTI DWARF
Emperina
Runic Blade (Hero)
Sekhma
Serpent/Naga Queen/Celestasia

ANTI DAEMON
Will probably add Urska Savage here, but currently:
Green/red bonus
Ferit
Desdaemona
Dark Song
Valor

The above works, but considering reworking to add a feeder as well

ANTI BEAST
Chupacabra
Chupacabra
Scarlett
Mercy or Griffon Knight. Anthea would also work well here (but you would be missing brown, and I REALLY like having all colors represented when possible).

ANTI GOBLIN
Talon Banner (+2 yellow, +1 Green, -1 Blue)
Brian The Lucky
Gob Chomper
Rock Worm
Rock Troll

ANTI ELEMENTAL
Red/yellow bonus
Sparkgrinder
Dragon Cruncher
Dracos 1337
Templar

ANTI MONSTER
Bear banner

Savage Hunter
Minogor
Sunweaver (to boost Minogor)
Gob-Chomper

ANTI FEY/ELF
Blue/brown bonus
Elf Eater
Elwyn (reverse with above depending on opposing team)
Mist Stalker
Rock Worm/Famine

ANTI UNDEAD
green/blue bonus
Archon Statue
Avina
Dryad
Giant Spider

My "A" Team, and the one I use for defense (usually win about 50 to 60% I guess)
Purple Green Bonus
Famine
Green Seer
Sekhma
Giant Spider

I know it's not advisable to use Famine in the first slot, but I have tried him in various places and found that to be the best in the context of this team. He is ready to fire VERY quickly as a result, sometimes within a few turns.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Man, I sure wish I had Famine rather than Plague. Plague is fully traited and I still don't find him all that useful.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

ColdSteel wrote:Man, I sure wish I had Famine rather than Plague. Plague is fully traited and I still don't find him all that useful.
I have none of those mythics but while they all can be a pain in the butt, Famine is the only one I fear to face. Famine is a walking I Win button.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

It's the only one I have, currently. Would love to forge a Pharos Ra at some point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk