Destiny 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sudy

Destiny 2

Post by Sudy »

Who's in? Pre-order beta begins today; open beta tomorrow through the 31st. Actual PC release is October 24th (consoles get it on September 6th).

I always wanted to play the original, but didn't have a recent console and wasn't interested in getting one. The sequel's PC launch is one of my reasons for getting a new gaming PC.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Exodor

Re: Destiny 2

Post by Exodor »

I'm waiting for the reviews but it looks right up my alley - I enjoyed The Division because it's a loot-heavy FPS and this seems more of the same.

If the PC release goes well I'll cash in some of my WoW gold for BlizzBucks and pick it up.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Played the heck out of the first one on the xBox (didn't get one until the Taken King expansion, and it was one of the first games I bought), Will be doing a pre-order for the xBox One, once I've sussed out the one I want (or at least signed up for bonus WFB Credit Card miles for MS Store purchases).

Day 1 purchase at worst, and I'll probably spring for the 2 DLC pack version (currently somewhere around $99).

I enjoyed the console preview, especially the 3-player strike.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I've played all four modes in the beta. Not totally sure what to make of it yet. It's iterative, but extremely polished. It would benefit from a tutorial (but then, this is just the open beta). Getting my butt handed to me in PvP, though I don't know how big a component of the game PvP is supposed to be. On the face of it it's no different than any other hero shooter in the regard. But getting to use the gear you've found is an interesting spin.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

So, I don't know much about Destiny 2 and I can't be bothered to watch a bunch of videos explaining the game. Can someone give me the 30 sec scoop on the game? Is it like a sci-if version of The Division? Is it sort of a Borderlands shoot and loot (but probably without all the humor)? It is an ARPG/shooter? Can I play it SP if I want? Just wondering, never followed the first one when I read it wasn't available for PC, so I am behind the curve. Thanks.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Same questions. If it requires MP then I'm out :(
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Grifman wrote:So, I don't know much about Destiny 2 and I can't be bothered to watch a bunch of videos explaining the game. Can someone give me the 30 sec scoop on the game? Is it like a sci-if version of The Division? Is it sort of a Borderlands shoot and loot (but probably without all the humor)? It is an ARPG/shooter? Can I play it SP if I want? Just wondering, never followed the first one when I read it wasn't available for PC, so I am behind the curve. Thanks.
Technically, the Division is a real-world version of Destiny (which predates the Division by about two years). That said, it plays more like a serious Borderlands than the Division (Destiny is first person and the Division is third person behind the shoulder perspective). Imagine a cross between Halo and Borderlands and you have a good idea of how the game plays. As you level up, you get a few different skills and modifiers. For example you get choices on how to use your grenades (usually a MIRV style grenade or a single blast grenade with some special ability). You also get better jumping capabilities and some interesting skills on cooldown. I would say that Destiny has a similar skill system to Borderlands, although Borderlands relies more on each classes' special ability (like the turret, throwing shield, etc.) and Destiny has a bit more focus on weapon types. Both have zillions of weapons modifiers that generate weapons within a few categories.

Destiny's weapon scheme is a little different than Borderlands. You have a set of "normal" weapons that uses fairly ubiquitous ammo that drops frequently. These include a longer range rifle, a shorter range but punchy "hand cannon" pistol, a pulse rifle that is middle of the road, and short range high ROF SMGs. Then each character can equip a secondary weapons that uses rarer ammo (and you might run out during a mission) that includes harder hitting shotguns, sniper rifles, grenade launchers, rail guns, and rocket launchers.

I would say the online multiplay component is similar to The Division. If you want to focus on missions and storyline (the original Destiny had a bizarre convoluted story that made little sense and was often vague), you can do pretty much everything solo. You can also hop, solo, into open zones that allow you to hunt, search for resources, and play around with other players present (but you do not have to group with them and you can occasionally enter "zone events" where you accomplish a goal with other players without grouping).

The MP portions are PVP and cooperative events/dungeons. PVP runs a bit like Quake mixed with Team Fortress. Some are deathmatches, some are capture point based. These are not required to play, although you will get better gear (some of it cosmetic rather than practical) if you devote time to it. It is fun, but I found myself outmatched by most other people in the game.

The co-op portions are strikes and raids. Strikes are the most common (there is at least one every major zone) and can take around 20-30 minutes. They can be quite challenging, and I found them to be completely optional. They do drop nice loot, much like a WoW dungeon, so doing these will give you leg up. They are 3-man and tend to hold you hand a bit to tell you where to go and what to do. There is automatic matchmaking and instant pick up groups.

I never did any raids. They are higher level and for 6 people. They give little hand holding and can be very serious. Not my type of thing.

Hope that helps. I found you can solo pretty effectively without too much issue.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Just note - it may not REQUIRE MP but it does require being online at all times.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Preordered the Deluxe edition (includes first 2 DLC packs) yesterday (xBox version). Looking forward to it, as the first one was far and away my go-to game on the xBox.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

baelthazar wrote:Explains a lot of stuff about Destiny
Thanks for the info, still on the fence about this one, I guess I'll have to watch some "Let's play's" to make up my mind.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
naednek

Post by naednek »

wow, i played the beta on the ps4, and now on the PC, and hands down it's way better on the PC. Graphics alone, man such detail.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Grifman wrote:
baelthazar wrote:Explains a lot of stuff about Destiny
Thanks for the info, still on the fence about this one, I guess I'll have to watch some "Let's play's" to make up my mind.
Can't you try the open beta now?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yup, the open beta is available through Battle.net until Thursday. (I realize that was probably rhetorical, but just reiterating.) You only had to pre-order to get "open" beta access a day early.

Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

naednek wrote:wow, i played the beta on the ps4, and now on the PC, and hands down it's way better on the PC. Graphics alone, man such detail.
I already pre-ordered on the PS4, but I keep hearing stuff like this and am getting torn. I really only want to play on my 50 inch TV while laying on the couch, but I don't want to be at a PvP disadvantage by not using a mouse & keyboard. (I use my gaming rig as a media center in my living room and use an xBox One controller with it). I'm guessing most folks here on OO will be playing on PC. Hmmmm. :think:
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I've spent the last few months playing Destiny 1 and the D2 beta on PS4, and I was happy enough with the controller to the point where I was planning on getting D2 on the PS4. But I decided to try the PC beta just to see what's up.

I think that as much as I was okay with the controller, the mouse is just that much better. I shouldn't be surprised, since my usual rule is that games with aiming get played on PC. But on PS4, I was never comfortable enough to use hand cannons. On PC, I went through most of the story mission using just the hand cannon, and it was great.

So I guess I'll be waiting six weeks to play, which makes me sad.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
naednek

Post by naednek »

SAme with me. I had the original on PS4. I could never compete in multiplayer, but I was fine with the Singleplayer portions. On the PC, it's so butter smooth and the highest settings. I haven't unlocked the multiplayer part, but got to the 2nd mission where you board the ship. I don't recall it raining in the ps4 version, but on the PC it was just an awesome experience. For me it was night and day better. Just beautiful.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Well crap... you guys are making me rethink my PS4 preorder. I like the couch aspect and it works well for me... but I was crap at aiming. The release date is six weeks different?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Yup, end of October for PC. The beta is open right now if you want to try it out, just open the Blizzard launcher app, and it should be there.

My thinking on it is that by waiting, I get the controls I like, get the benefit of console impressions in case there's big problems, and can still get in on day 1. There's also the possibility that the PC gets some of the early tweaks they're sure to do on console versions on day 1. They already made a few changes to the PC beta from the console one.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Who am I kidding? I'm probably going to end up buying both versions. :grund:

If I do get the PC version, I'll use my media PC in the living room and my xBox 1 controller. I just can't bring myself to hunch over a game at my desk anymore. If I'm at a disadvantage in PvP so be it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Too bad bungie isn't still owned by MS, xbox /pc licenses would be covered by one purchase like gears 4.

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Is there a way to skip the matchmaking when you pick a mission from the director?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Sepiche wrote:Is there a way to skip the matchmaking when you pick a mission from the director?
All three missions in the director for the beta are MP only, so I don't think so. In the full game, you should be able to play most things solo.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Yeah, the non-PvP mission in the director appears to be a a multi-player strike. Looks like the beta doesn't get the open world solo stuff.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Nope, just the pve strike and some pvp.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

baelthazar wrote:stuff about destiny
I'll also add that the special sparrow racing league events (MP) are really fun. Sparrows are like the Endor cycles that you usually use to get around various PvE locales, but they have MP racing events every once in awhile which are really, really fun.

Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Hi All,

Over in the console forum, I think we just discovered that clans are cross platform. Anybody want to try joining with a Blizzard ID to see if we've got the full trifecta?

Link to Destiny 2 OO Clan

Even if we are spread out over three different systems, there appear to be benefits to pooling resources, so to speak, in order to earn rewards.

Edit: Clan Banner Perks that can be leveled up:
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Hamlet3145 wrote:Over in the console forum, I think we just discovered that clans are cross platform. Anybody want to try joining with a Blizzard ID to see if we've got the full trifecta?
Just signed up via battle.net and seemed like it worked.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Sepiche wrote:
Hamlet3145 wrote:Over in the console forum, I think we just discovered that clans are cross platform. Anybody want to try joining with a Blizzard ID to see if we've got the full trifecta?
Yep, it did! :horse:
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I was too late, my PS4 copy shipped. I was fairly convinced I wanted to keep playing on the TV. Also Kotaku made some excellent points about playing it on the PS4. The most compelling was that Bungie farmed out the PC port rather than doing it in house. That may mean nothing, but it is clear that they personally valued the console versions more than the PC version.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Sepiche wrote:
I also signed up. But I'm not happy that I have to have my name sullied by being in association with XBOX plebs... :P :wub:
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

And it looks like Clans are going down for the next few days.

So, that link I posted earlier probably isn't going to work again until this weekend or so.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

baelthazar wrote:Bungie farmed out the PC port rather than doing it in house.
was the porting studio... Gearbox?? haw

no, it's Vicarious Visions, whose history seems to be mostly licensed junk and various ports. their last PC game was "Spy Muppets: License to Croak" in 2003
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

That reinforces my decision to get the PS4 version. This is such a huge game, why did they pick some minor leaguer to do the port?
naednek

Post by naednek »

thankfully i'm holding for Xmas.... hope the pc version is fine, as it looks great, but don't want to deal with problems. Beta seemed smooth.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Played a bit this morning and did a few missions beyond the 1st one and got up to level 4. My first impression is just that things seem really polished. Also, it's fun to get excited about green drops again. :lol:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm on the fence with this. I thought the first game was surprisingly fun, but I was mostly terrible at it (especially multiplayer). Still, I might give it a shot.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I played the PC beta, and it looks like the port is excellent. Performance was fantastic on my mid tier rig, getting north of 60 fps consistently with everything maxed. That and how much better mouse aiming was convinced me to wait for it on PC.

FYI, you can preorder the PC physical version from Amazon for 20% off if you have prime.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'm definitely waiting for the PC version. Far better graphics *and* not having to play a shooter with a controller?

Yes please.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Ok, so I now hear there is already an expansion pack available for this game. How am I not suppose to feel cheated? :hawk: