[Obsidian] Tyranny

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Fitzy

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Fitzy »

MonkeyFinger wrote:Does the choice of a male or female character really make any difference? And then there was the whole bit about land owners versus ship captains, is that actually in the game or just backstory?
If M/F makes any difference I haven't seen it. Beyond the greeting being gender specific. Some NPCs mention the land vs sea thing. However it doesn't appear to effect the PC.

I have seen the origin stories popping up in our places which is neat. And if you hlay through the conquest that comes up a lot.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

The 20th attribute point costs 2 pts. Is that 20th point a bigger step up? Or is it a waste of a point?
Arnir
Location: Right here. No, a bit left. A bit up. Okay, close enough. Texas.

Post by Arnir »

Fitzy wrote:The 20th attribute point costs 2 pts. Is that 20th point a bigger step up? Or is it a waste of a point?
My understanding is that it is just an increased cost to "overpower" a stat. 20+ requires 2 points in all attributes. I don't think you get twice the value.
Blast from the past:Currently playing: Civ 4, HoI 3 (or at least trying to). Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4ghz, PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB, 4GB system ram, Vista 64.
Chaosraven's D&D Party 2: Arthur Leadwyrm (now game 1) For your GPS PoI needs
"She needed a green card; I wanted a man card."
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

And it looks like I've run into a game breaking bug. God dammit.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I liked POE but lost interest after several hours in. One of the problems was the reams of backstory and history text and just killed the momentum of the game. Yes, I could skip reading them but then my OCD kicks in saying I might missing an important clue.

Anyone running into that problem with Tyranny?
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
tgb

Post by tgb »

No, but there is a lot of reading. Perhaps more than PoE.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Scoop20906 wrote:I liked POE but lost interest after several hours in. One of the problems was the reams of backstory and history text and just killed the momentum of the game. Yes, I could skip reading them but then my OCD kicks in saying I might missing an important clue.

Not really, but maybe because they put 'cliffs notes' in the reading. Hover over a word that is a certain color, and it pops up the backstory on what that means. Ie - Title, or how it came to be that you are called, "Stormcaller", etc..
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Scoop20906 wrote:I liked POE but lost interest after several hours in. One of the problems was the reams of backstory and history text and just killed the momentum of the game. Yes, I could skip reading them but then my OCD kicks in saying I might missing an important clue.

THATS IT!!! Thats what happened to me when I tried to play it a year or so ago. I couldn't remember until you said that. So much reading it became a book instead of a game and if I skipped it I was afraid I was missing something.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

RMC wrote:

Not really, but maybe because they put 'cliffs notes' in the reading. Hover over a word that is a certain color, and it pops up the backstory on what that means. Ie - Title, or how it came to be that you are called, "Stormcaller", etc..
That's a bit better. I'll try to check out a playthrough to see that in action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, the pop up tools for this game should be incorporated into every crpg going forward. Forget who a character is that someone is asking you about? Click on their name in the dialog box and viola, instant recap.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

cheeba wrote:And it looks like I've run into a game breaking bug. God dammit.
New patch just out. Seems to be focused almost entirely on bug fixes. The changelog is on steam so you can verify if it does address your situation.
Covfefe!
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

hepcat wrote:Yeah, the pop up tools for this game should be incorporated into every crpg going forward. Forget who a character is that someone is asking you about? Click on their name in the dialog box and viola, instant recap.
Ok, just saw an example in a playthrough. I have to say these kind of tooltips that describe what your player knows about different topics is genius. Too many times I take a break from a game for a month only to come back absolutely confused about who the "Dagon of Roth Castle" is and why I should care that he is holding my friends hostage. This is sliding more towards a buy for me but still going to wait for the first sale.

neofit

Post by neofit »

I've had the same issue with PoE, the only game in the genre that I didn't finish. It's not so much the quantity as it was because of the amount of backstory you were supposed to already know while being bombarded with names, places, factions, etc.. Even while clearing my dungeon I was confused as to who, why, to whom and where, so I stopped caring about the world. According to the RPS review, Tyranny suffers from the same problem, and I'm not sure if the popups fill all the blanks.

The other major problem that made me stop playing PoE was what remained in an RPG without lore: the combat system. Namely the magic system, the relic from the D&D days before computers and mana were invented. Do I make my encounter fun and use all my spells, like the fireworks in DA and Divinity, then waste a lot of time going to the surface and back to rest, or do I keep them in case of an unexpected encounter? None of the options were fun.

Does Tyranny use the same "memorize the spell" magic system as PoE?
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

neofit wrote:
I've had the same issue with PoE, the only game in the genre that I didn't finish. It's not so much the quantity as it was because of the amount of backstory you were supposed to already know while being bombarded with names, places, factions, etc.. Even while clearing my dungeon I was confused as to who, why, to whom and where, so I stopped caring about the world. According to the RPS review, Tyranny suffers from the same problem, and I'm not sure if the popups fill all the blanks.

The other major problem that made me stop playing PoE was what remained in an RPG without lore: the combat system. Namely the magic system, the relic from the D&D days before computers and mana were invented. Do I make my encounter fun and use all my spells, like the fireworks in DA and Divinity, then waste a lot of time going to the surface and back to rest, or do I keep them in case of an unexpected encounter? None of the options were fun.

Does Tyranny use the same "memorize the spell" magic system as PoE?
tl;dr The stupid horrid DnD system is gone.

In Tyranny you make your own spells. Each spell can be one core (elemental, moon, force and some more), one distance (close, far, cone, AoE are the ones I've found) and 8 or 10 modifiers (time, intensity, additional effects, there's a lot). Each added slot increases the amount of lore required to cast the spell.

Once you've created the spell, you put it into one of your empty spell slots. I have 8 right now I think. Each spell can be cast infinite number of times, but has a cooldown. Right now, with the way I designed my spells, I have to do about 6 actions to get the cooldown back.

I actually like the system, though I'd prefer a mana/endurance based system to the cooldown based one.

I think the popups really make keeping track of what's going on easy. And I'm saying this as someone who forgets names 2 seconds after I read them.

I'm having a great time with the game. I played through PoE and am enjoying this far more. There are some glitches due to the story design, but overall it's been fun.

Combat is getting repetitive and boring, but the number of combats is, I'd guess at least half of what was in PoE per "quest". If not even more reduced. The maps are small as well so I never feel like I'm slogging through an area.

I'm hoping for sequels and DLC.
neofit

Post by neofit »

Fitzy wrote:And I'm saying this as someone who forgets names 2 seconds after I read them.
Hey, that's me as well. Might be worth buying then.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So, I love the fact that this game has a ton of lore. You can have these amazing, in-depth conversations with your party members, learning all about their motivations, their backgrounds, and their opinions on nearly everything. In fact, I just spent about 45 minutes going through dialog trees with Verse and Barik, watching them snipe at each other, react to me with fear or loyalty, and gaining a few special attacks in the process.

And then the game hard locked as I was clicking on the very last dialog option...and I now have to redo the entire conversation from the start. :evil:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Is this game super negative? I don't want to fall into a depression after playing it.....
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Man, this game just doesn't like my PC at all. Two more hard locks today, including one literally as I'm trying to save. Might have to set this aside for a bit and see if it gets patched up.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Lorini wrote:Is this game super negative? I don't want to fall into a depression after playing it.....
I didn't find it that negative. You can certainly choose a path that is more hopeful, though I wouldn't call it "good".

In fact, I'd say the game probably plays out pretty close to the Dr. Horrible ideal of, "the world is a mess and I just need to rule it." Only there's a bunch of Dr. Horribles.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I finally got into this tonight and so far I’m really digging it. It’s exactly the kind of RPG I love with tons of choices that seem to make a lot of difference. I was particularly surprised when my party member started to fear me and it turned out to be a good thing.

Maybe I just find the subject matter appealing but I’m also finding the writing much more engaging than Pillars of Eternity. In Pillars, I found my attention wandering at times while here, I have read and enjoyed pretty much every piece of lore the game has thrown at me.
Last edited by Lordnine on Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Glad to hear your positive impressions. I'm going to likely pick this up next weekend with my 50% off coupon from the Pillars 2 Fig campaign and have not been sure what to expect.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Once I finish up this run of PoE, I'm going to reinstall Tyranny and try again. My problem is that I never play evil in RPGs. For one thing, in most games the evil option sucks, coming off like a whiny jerk, and it just feels wrong to me. It actually causes a little anxiety in me when I choose the evil side, so I'm hoping that I can enjoy this game without having to be some Darth Vader/Donal Trump kind of character.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:My problem is that I never play evil in RPGs.It actually causes a little anxiety in me when I choose the evil side, so I'm hoping that I can enjoy this game without having to be some Darth Vader/Donal Trump kind of character.
I’m finding that “stern but fair” is a valid choice. Early on I encountered a merchant who was being detained by the army. My first instinct was defend him at all costs. My lore skill was really high though and my character picked up on the fact that one of the items he was selling could only be created from our army. Basically, he was a looter. That said, he admitted to only taking what was left over after the army had already cleared out. I let him off the hook if he agreed to supply the camp and gave him the warning that if he was ever caught stealing he would be executed.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I really hope this drops to 50% soon. I'm really interested in trying this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Scoop20906 wrote:I really hope this drops to 50% soon. I'm really interested in trying this out.
May or may not interest you, but if you back PoE2 on Fig right now, you'll receive either a 33% off (min pledge) or 50% off (anything higher) coupon for Tyranny in around a week.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

OK, I finally got Tyranny and so far so good. I love how all the tool tips help me remember what happened.

However, I'm have a tough time with a fight and would like some suggestions or I will have to go back to an earlier save and avoid this fight.

I've only just started I really am not good at the combat yet. I have the Fatebinder, Verse and Lantry. Unfortunately, my Fatebinder is a not a tank and uses a spear and shield. I am up against three Honor Guards soldiers and two ranged Sun Soldiers. Most of the enemy focus on Lantry and he goes down so quickly I can'y use his healing powers. Verse can't take many hits and even though I last the longest by the time we get our first kill I am the only one left.

Any idea? I am open to suggestions.

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Combat is Tyranny is pretty hard in general. Best advice I have is use all of your items (many offer buffs) make sure you are applying de-buffs to the enemy with abilities and make full use of your combo abilities. All charters that join your party have combo attacks they can use with the main character. These abilities do massive damage and can turn the battle in your favor.

Also, minor spoiler I guess, but Lantry was my third companion. You may want to look around and see if you can find someone in very smelly armor who would like to join your cause. :)

Beyond that, realize that you really can avoid a lot of the fights in Tyranny. If you are getting destroyed in battle, maybe try diplomacy instead?
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I finally got some luck and little bit of strategy and managed to win the battle and make it to my next destination where I met Barik. Great! Nice to have a tank.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is 50% off right now on Steam..$22. So considering it. If it was just a little cheaper grrrr.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Not cheap enough for me yet.

I really want this game to be good. And to be interesting. Luckily I have no clue what it's about so I can keep on hoping for awhile yet.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Probably my favorite game of the last couple years.

Gameplay was similar to Pillars, but the world was more interesting and the quests felt less generic.

Unfortunately for me I always back poor selling RPGs. Vampire Bloodlines, Alpha Protocol.

I'm hopeful Tyranny was cheap enough that a sequel is possible
RMC

Post by RMC »

The new DLC is out, I have started a new game, but it takes me forever to get through games now with life and everything else going on. :)

But I am having a good time again with the game.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Would you guys say this is worth $17?

EDIT: Commander edition.
RMC

Post by RMC »

If you like the game play, Real time that is pause-able, then yes it is worth it.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Yup, I really enjoyed Tyranny. It's not as massive as Pillars of Eternity, but I found the setting much more imaginative and interesting.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats good. Im finding Pillars hard to finish up. The story is what is drawing me to this. Im thinking I could go straight bad guy and support the evil side then replay it another time as the good guy in a year or so.

Theres no weirdness to the play I hope. Just a straight up infinity engine game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok. Due to a full system format and reinstall Ive decided to play Tyranny and stop putting it off. I started creating my character but due to both me looking online for clues to making a good character, the difficulty setting results, and me getting older and taking a nap , it has taken me 3 1/2 hours to make my character.

In looks I have modeled him on T'ealc from Stargate SG1. I ....for now anyways before actually playing and trying to be a bad guy.....plan to be a full on enforcer of Kyron's will. Kick child from cliff or side with child and hurt bully....kick child off cliff of course. As I play though I find myself feeling so bad about doing bad deeds as its totally opposite of my personality...i may end up going good sometimes if not always. Sigh.

Ive choosen 2 handed and secondary is javelin and shield for some ranged. I put 18 into might then some into the other needed things. Also into athletics and quickness and such. Background it pitfighter. Armor is black on black and banner is a sword within wings in red and main banner black.

And off I go.....after I get up tomorrow. Im tired.

Enlarge Image
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

It's free today on Twitch.tv if you're an Amazon Prime member.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So far Ive simply cleared out the beginning tutorial area but it has left me smiling. I think I will enjoy this game. It holds promise to be a deep and thinking game. Seems to be a lot of reading like Torment was so I may need to increase the font size or suffer headaches. I have also just reached my first merchant and am having to look closely at what I have and what is for sale. Im not sure what I will keep or buy at this time. Im sure Ill do something wrong its just how it is in the beginning.

Also as far as speaking to my one party member and interacting with the NPC soldiers around this area I am at a loss as to what is good and what is bad. I dont want to be an all goody goody. In fact I want to play evil and support Kyros's will but also toss in a little kindness along the way. I seem to be gaining both loyalty, respect and wrath and fear equally. I doubt they'd add the bad reactions to simply be bad if I can avoid them so Im guessing a little fear and loathing is good for me in the scheme of things.