Will the makeup of the Bush administration change?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Captain Caveman

Will the makeup of the Bush administration change?

Post by Captain Caveman »

I remember hearing rumors early in the campaign that Colin Powell would not return if Bush was reelected. Is this still the current line of thinking? Is it pretty certain that Condi, Rummy, and the others will be coming back?
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

If they replace Ashcroft with Gulliani, that will definately make me feel better.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

OK, my eyes just glazed over at reading that article. So, are they going to televise the game o musical chairs, or will they just tell us the results?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Mr. Sparkle wrote:If they replace Ashcroft with Gulliani, that will definately make me feel better.
Same here.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

No Cabinet survives two terms without significant change. That article is quite interesting, especially the idea of getting Rudy on board as AG (esp. given his stellar record as NY's back in the 80's).
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

i wasn't aware they even WORE makeup!

BADA BING!

thank you, thank you...i'm here all week
gellar

Post by gellar »

I'd LOVE to see Rice gone. I really, really dislike her.

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
Kadoth Nodens

Post by Kadoth Nodens »

Nade wrote:
Mr. Sparkle wrote:If they replace Ashcroft with Gulliani, that will definately make me feel better.
Same here.
Me three. He occasionally did some crazy shit* as Mayor of NYC, but the bastard got results.

*like stalking the parking lot of an Ikea in NJ to try and get New Yorkers to pay additional sales tax on furniture! :shock:
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Kadoth Nodens wrote:
Nade wrote:
Same here.
Me three. He occasionally did some crazy shit* as Mayor of NYC, but the bastard got results.

*like stalking the parking lot of an Ikea in NJ to try and get New Yorkers to pay additional sales tax on furniture! :shock:
And I'm pretty sure he knows there is a Constitution that he is supposed to uphold... whether he personally agrees with it or not.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Let me add one more thought/question:

Will Cheney last the entire term?

I'm thinking that there is a reasonable chance he will not but that's just a guess.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

The Preacher wrote:Let me add one more thought/question:

I'm thinking that there is a reasonable chance he will not but that's just a guess.
In that he would resign, or in that he would die?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

noxiousdog wrote:

I was thinking that he might step down for health reasons.
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

Ashcroft is going to step down?? Rice gone as well? Woah, things are looking MUCH brighter already!! :D

Things like this will help me get through a second Bush term.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

I can't fathom Rice stepping down.

No way, she has too many strange and just flat-out weird ties to the Bush family.
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

The Preacher wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:

I was thinking that he might step down for health reasons.
What would happen then? Does the president just get to appoint a new Veep? Or does the "line of succession" come into play?

He's technically an elected official... but I guess Governors get to pick replacements for Senators and stuff, and Bush is sort of the Uber-Governor...
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Mr. Sparkle wrote: What would happen then? Does the president just get to appoint a new Veep? Or does the "line of succession" come into play?

He's technically an elected official... but I guess Governors get to pick replacements for Senators and stuff, and Bush is sort of the Uber-Governor...
He picks a replacement that's confirmed by congress. (eg, Ford)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

personally, i would hate to see powell disappear from the president's circle. ANY leader, if he wants to be effective, needs someone who'll disagree with him and provide a counterpoint for consideration.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

The resignation of the VP would allow the President to appoint a new one subject to Congressional confirmation.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I feel sorry for Powell. He had so much promise and it all just kind of evaporated...his son is a different matter enitrely though.

Also, I'd be happy to see Ashcroft go. I just can't trust him. Guiliani is definitely a good choice.
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote:personally, i would hate to see powell disappear from the president's circle. ANY leader, if he wants to be effective, needs someone who'll disagree with him and provide a counterpoint for consideration.
He's decisive. The counterpoint is unnecessary. ;)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

malchior wrote:
hepcat wrote:personally, i would hate to see powell disappear from the president's circle. ANY leader, if he wants to be effective, needs someone who'll disagree with him and provide a counterpoint for consideration.
He's decisive. The counterpoint is unnecessary. ;)
hmmmm....good point! :D
setaside

Post by setaside »

One of the tinfoil hat rumors floating around is that Cheney will step down at some point due to "health reasons" to give another veep a chance to get entrenched for the fight in '08 against the rumored Hillary candidacy.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I keep hearing about Hillary running in 08. I can't imagine her being nominated.

In Texas Hillary would get 25% of the vote if she were running unopposed.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Edmond

Post by Edmond »

She would win the state automatically if running unopposed.

A democrat will not carry Texas anyway. If she's able to tip the EV-fat swing states (OH,FL anyone?), she have a chance.

If an ex-President can run for VP, it would be interesting to see a Clinton/Clinton ticket in '08 :wink:
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Speaking of the Uber-Governor, too bad this guy is not eligible! ;)

When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Cheney is President G.W. Bush's life insurance policy. Nobody is going to impeach him (if they could) or assassinate him if the alternative is a Dick Cheney Presidency. It's like having a "get out of jail free" card handy.

Rumsfeld was on his way out before 9/11, so he's expendable. If it wasn't politically inexpedient if you claim to have "made no mistakes", I think Rumsfeld would have been fired months ago. I certainly think that if the news media really starts to look hard (hah, silly me...the media has no backbone anymore), there will be a bunch of suppressed stories about how badly Iraq is going will hit the newspapers. Rumsfeld will have to take it for the team.

Ashcroft I think will stick around. His fundamentalist view fits with the administration. And it's not suprising that all of the noise about prosecuting the terrorists and siezing their money has just turned out to be a political ploy with no real convictions to back it up.

If Rumsfeld, Ashcroft and Cheney had real jobs, they'd have been fired at least a year ago for gross incompetence. But since their boss has nine (or more) political lives, they're at least around a bit longer.

I think that Colin Powell can't leave the administration fast enough. The way Colin Powell was backstabbed, undermined and marginalized by the Bush administration is a big part of the reason why I'm so incredibly annoyed (in addition to being a moderate Republican on the social and tax issues). The 2000 Presidency could have been Colin Powell's if he wanted, but instead he played loyal. And paid the price for it -- to the bitter end. What a waste of a good man's integrity.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

The country isn't ready for a black President. Powell could pave the way, but the Presidency could never be his.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

From Drudge:
Attorney General John Ashcroft 'plans to submit his resignation to Bush in the next several days'...
Hamsterball_Z

Post by Hamsterball_Z »

Dirt wrote:The country isn't ready for a black President. Powell could pave the way, but the Presidency could never be his.
Colin Powell is BLACK?!?!? :P

By the way, have you ever heard anyone pronounce his name correctly? It's Col-IN not Col-ON. Bugs me every time I hear it.
(HBZ)
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Jason Donati

Post by Jason Donati »

Hamsterball_Z wrote:
Dirt wrote:The country isn't ready for a black President. Powell could pave the way, but the Presidency could never be his.
Colin Powell is BLACK?!?!? :P

By the way, have you ever heard anyone pronounce his name correctly? It's Col-IN not Col-ON. Bugs me every time I hear it.
Heh, I've never heard anyone pronounce his name Col-ON. Just thinking about it gives me a small fit of giggles.
"I'll be working harder than a cat trying to bury turd on a marble floor." - The Venture Brothers
DD

Post by DD »

The Preacher wrote:No Cabinet survives two terms without significant change.
Yep, there tends to be a lot of turnover; look at Clinton's cabinet through his second term, same thing with Reagan. High stress jobs, I would imagine....