Mass Effect: Andromeda

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

KDH

Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Post by KDH »

:coffee: And .. a follow-up to the above post

Kotaku reports Mass Effect: Andromeda will not get any single-player DLC ... or a sequel
Yesterday, a widely shared Facebook post claimed that BioWare had canceled Mass Effect: Andromeda’s downloadable content. The good news: that Facebook post was a hoax. The bad news: they guessed correctly. Mass Effect: Andromeda will indeed not be receiving any single-player DLC, three people familiar with BioWare’s plans have told me.

This will be a drastic departure for the long-running sci-fi series. All three Mass Effect games received single-player content after launch, with expansions like Mass Effect 2's Lair of the Shadow Broker and Mass Effect 3's Citadel earning praise for their stories and character development. Fans had expected a similar approach for Mass Effect: Andromeda, but mediocre reviews and animation memes have steered the series in an unfortunate new direction.

In April, as we reported, BioWare scaled down its Montreal studio, whose staff had developed Mass Effect: Andromeda with help from BioWare’s other studios in Edmonton and Austin. The chilly reception to Andromeda led the company to transfer BioWare Montreal’s employees to other projects, including Star Wars Battlefront II, Anthem, and the next Dragon Age. Although a small team remains in place to work on Mass Effect: Andromeda’s multiplayer and patch support (which isn’t done yet), most of BioWare Montreal has moved on.

BioWare also shelved plans for a sequel to Mass Effect: Andromeda, sources said.

While reporting that news, I had been pretty sure that Mass Effect: Andromeda wouldn’t be getting single-player DLC. There are few people left at BioWare Montreal who could even work on it. But I wanted to be more confident, so over the past few weeks I’ve confirmed the news with three sources familiar with the company’s plans, all of whom spoke anonymously so as not to jeopardize their careers. Unless BioWare decides to make some sort of drastic pivot (plans can always change!), Mass Effect: Andromeda will not be getting single-player DLC.

It’s unclear why BioWare has not yet talked about these plans publicly—and the company did not respond to multiple requests for comment over the past two weeks—but this will no doubt come as sad news to Mass Effect fans. BioWare has traditionally released meaty, excellent downloadable content for all of its games, and Andromeda left several loose narrative threads that still need to be tied up.

Yesterday, a widely circulated Facebook post from a group claiming to be called Sinclair Networks said that it had been working on Andromeda’s DLC until BioWare cancelled it. But Sinclair Networks appears to be fraudulent. Several BioWare employees later wrote on Twitter that they had never heard of this company. “While we can’t talk about future yet, I can def say we build our own dlc/patches for our games and don’t hire fake companies to do so,” wrote producer Fernando Melo.

The future for Mass Effect, however, looks dismal.
Ain't nobody got time for that
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sad for the fans and the Mass Effect series and it's future. Loved the old games.Not sad at all for EA asshats and that sham of a company they dared call Bioware. F them both.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
naednek

Post by naednek »

I think people were way to critical about this game. They make it sound like it was horrible. It wasn't. Sure, not as good as the original but better than many games in general.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

naednek wrote:I think people were way to critical about this game. They make it sound like it was horrible. It wasn't. Sure, not as good as the original but better than many games in general.
Fully agree.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

gbasden wrote:
naednek wrote:I think people were way to critical about this game. They make it sound like it was horrible. It wasn't. Sure, not as good as the original but better than many games in general.
Fully agree.
Yeah i actually really enjoyed the game. Never finished it. But I easily sunk in about 50-60 hours or so. Probably more. So have they killed off the ME franchise? That doesn't make sense. The whole plot of the Andromed. was teeming with possibilities.

Unfortunate if this is true and a very knee jerk reaction and short sighted as well. Really have to question the people in charge at EA about it. If this is true of course. Or maybe it's leaked on purpose to stir outrage to gauge fan's reaction & interest.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

That's unfortunate that they're going to scrap the universe (for now, until they think of a way to completely fuck it over).

I finished the game a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it, it got a little irritating planet hopping with the unskippable transition scenes, and Kadara was really fucking annoying (yes, when I'm playing a game I really DO enjoy waiting 3-5 seconds for doors to open! WTF?) but overall the experience was positive.

The movie night quest was perfectly timed for me, I managed to finish it just before the "final" battle. Has no one in the ME universe ever watched a movie? The whole crew is a bunch of talkers screwing up the experience.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

killbot737 wrote:The movie night quest was perfectly timed for me, I managed to finish it just before the "final" battle. Has no one in the ME universe ever watched a movie? The whole crew is a bunch of talkers screwing up the experience.
It's a schlocky B movie, not a classic. Who doesn't talk and rag on a B movie when watching it with a group of friends?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Grifman wrote:
killbot737 wrote:The movie night quest was perfectly timed for me, I managed to finish it just before the "final" battle. Has no one in the ME universe ever watched a movie? The whole crew is a bunch of talkers screwing up the experience.
It's a schlocky B movie, not a classic. Who doesn't talk and rag on a B movie when watching it with a group of friends?
Yeah, if it wasnt for this we wouldn't have MST3K. Now that's a dystopian future that I'd want no part of...
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
KDH

Post by KDH »

A tweet from Mass Effect teases a new Platinum Difficulty level for Mass Effect: Andromeda. There's not much, just an 11-second animation along with the following blurb: "Take your skills to the next level. Platinum Difficulty is coming to APEX Multiplayer."
Image <--- the youtube copy (11s)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Newcastle wrote:
gbasden wrote:
Fully agree.
Yeah i actually really enjoyed the game. Never finished it. But I easily sunk in about 50-60 hours or so. Probably more. So have they killed off the ME franchise? That doesn't make sense. The whole plot of the Andromed. was teeming with possibilities.

Unfortunate if this is true and a very knee jerk reaction and short sighted as well. Really have to question the people in charge at EA about it. If this is true of course. Or maybe it's leaked on purpose to stir outrage to gauge fan's reaction & interest.
Yeah, pretty much. I finished this a couple months ago. It had flaws, but I definitely enjoyed it. I don't care too much about the DLC, although it's too bad that it's not getting a sequel. One of the best things about the game was the universe building it did - there was a lot of story potential with the Initiative getting settled in Andromeda, creating new governments / empires, inevitable infighting, and more.

Oh well.
Black Lives Matter.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:coffee: ... Bioware has removed the Denuvo anti-tamper tech from Mass Effect: Andromeda
A few days ago, we informed you about a new patch for Mass Effect: Andromeda. However, and even though it was not included in its release notes, it appears that this patch has completely removed the Denuvo anti-tamper tech.

We don’t know whether this was intentional or not. After all, we’ve seen developers rolling out patches without the inclusion of the Denuvo anti-tamper tech and then re-applying it via a new update. But anyway, right now, the 1.9 version of Mass Effect: Andromeda is not powered by the Denuvo anti-tamper tech (though the game is still protected by ORIGIN).

Mass Effect: Andromeda joins a number of games for which the developers/publishers have removed the Denuvo anti-tamper tech once their games got cracked. These include DOOM, HITMAN, RiME and Homefront: The Revolution.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Friggin' game. I just spent 20 minutes trying to have sex with one of the holo guides on Nexus, only to find out you can't. Then I discovered the same thing while trying to seduce a Kett AND his dog thing during a lull in a gun fight.

What kind of bioware game is this if I can't bed anything within my line of sight?
Covfefe!
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Enlarge Image

:csmile: ... Mass Effect: Andromeda .... FREE .. 10 Hour Trial
TRIAL DETAILS
Explore a new galaxy in the Mass Effect: Andromeda trial through November 1, 2017. If you’ve already taken part in the Origin 10-hour Play First trial, you can still join this free trial and play the time you have remaining. Play Up To 10 Hours. This is the perfect time to join the fight for humanity’s new home. Play unlimited Multiplayer and play through to the first planet in Single Player.

Carry Over Save Progression
If you enjoy the trial and decide to purchase the full game, your saved progress carries over so you can pick right up where you left off.

Single and Multiplayer
All game modes are available in the trial so you can get a true sense of the game.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:coffee: .. So long, and thanks for all the fish ... 1 general-manager leaves and another returns, after a 3-year absence, to replace him

Aaryn Flynn .. thank-you-for-everything
Spoiler:
After 17 years with BioWare, today I announced that I’ll be leaving the studio at the end of July, and that Casey Hudson is returning to Edmonton to take on the role of General Manager for BioWare.

I joined BioWare in Edmonton right out of University. I was privileged to get a chance to join a group of people working on the coolest, most creative things I could imagine. Growing up at BioWare, the events in my life are intimately intertwined with events at the studio. I got married just after we finished Neverwinter Nights. My first son was born while we were wrapping up Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, while my second son was born right after Jade Empire.

From my first day until now, I have learned much, met great colleagues and friends, and got the chance to help give players some truly incredible experiences. Every time I think I’ve found a favourite game making experience, we start something new and somehow find fun and satisfaction in the new challenges.

I have been contemplating changes in my own life for some time, but when I heard that Casey had confirmed he was up for the task, I realized the opportunities before us. I will be working with him over the next couple of weeks to help catch him up and do my part to set him up for success to be the best GM he can be.

In closing, let me thank our players for everything they’ve given us over these many years, and to say from the bottom of my heart how important you are to me and the rest of BioWare. I have gone to work every day knowing that I am fortunate to have all of the opportunities I have had at BioWare because of you. Doing whatever I could to help our developers create some of the best games in the industry for you all has been the most humbling experience of my life. Now, I’ll be playing BioWare’s games in the future from an exciting new perspective – yours, Aaryn

.. BioWare
Casey Hudson .. Coming Home
Spoiler:
Almost twenty years ago, I decided to apply for a job as a technical artist at a local video game company in Edmonton. Young, and fresh out of University, I’m not sure what I expected it to lead to. But it was the beginning of a career full of experiences and shared accomplishments I never could have dreamed of. So when I left BioWare three years ago, it was the most difficult decision of my career. I needed some time off, needed a bit of change, and wanted to get involved in the new wave of disruptive technologies that were emerging.

The last few years have been transformative for me, from having time to reflect on what I most want to do, to working with new technologies at platform scale. And now, I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to return to lead BioWare – a studio that I think of as home.

I’d also like to wish my good friend Aaryn Flynn the very best in the future. Aaryn and I have worked together from the earliest days of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, to setting the foundation for Anthem. We’ve been through a lot together, and we’re all going to miss his presence at the studio.

I think I speak for everyone who has worked with Aaryn – and our fans – when I say thank you for everything. BioWare continues to hold a special magic – full of profoundly talented people, and an inspiring creative energy. When I look at the stunning progress Aaryn and the team has made with Anthem, and the other projects in the works, I truly believe our best is yet to come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I always liked Casey so maybe this will help them.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:animals-mouse: Like rats leaving a sinking ship

The Bioware-Blog has the following to say:
Mass Effect: Andromeda: An Update from the Studio
by Author - BioWare ... Posted on - August 19, 2017

Since the release of Mass Effect™: Andromeda, we’ve worked hard to address feedback from our community. From improving animations to expanding customization options, we looked to respond to your concerns, and build on what you loved.

With each patch, you let us know we were heading in the right direction, and we’re grateful to everyone who joined us on this journey. We’re proud of what we created, and we hope you enjoyed it as well.

Early in development, we decided to focus Mass Effect: Andromeda’s story on the Pathfinder, the exploration of the Andromeda galaxy, and the conflict with the Archon. The game was designed to further expand on the Pathfinder’s journey through this new galaxy with story-based APEX multiplayer missions and we will continue to tell stories in the Andromeda Galaxy through our upcoming comics and novels, including the fate of the quarian ark.

Our last update, 1.10, was the final update for Mass Effect: Andromeda. There are no planned future patches for single-player or in-game story content.

In the coming weeks, our multiplayer team will provide details of their ongoing support and upcoming content, including new multiplayer missions, character kits, and what’s in store for N7 Day.

We appreciate all the millions of people who came with us to the Andromeda galaxy. We hope to see you again in the Mass Effect universe.

The Mass Effect Andromeda Team
Spoiler:
5 years + $40M = Mass Effect Andromeda
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You can get a physical copy from Amazon for $14.52 today (list price is $39.99) and link it to your Origin account. $15 for a AAA game that was released 6 months ago...which I guess follows the previous post.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've sunk 92 hours into this game so far. I think I'm at the end game. I came to it late, so I guess I didn't see all the bugs and glitches. It's been a joy to play for me so far. I bought it on sale for 20 bucks I believe. I feel I got way more than my money's worth out of it.
Covfefe!
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

I love Mass Effect (I have a Mass Effect tattoo for Christ's sake) and am really disappointed that they aren't developing DLC for Andromeda. There were sooooo many loose ends to tie up
Spoiler:
The Quarian Ark, The Kett coming back, Shadow Broker stuff, even the Batarians...
What I really don't get is why. I mean Andromeda outsold Dragon Age Inquisition at launch and DA:I had a crap-ton of DLC for it. I don't know who was playing it because I also loved Dragon Age, but couldn't get into Inquisition, but still. I know some stories are saying that this was a hit-and-run strategy to get massive pre-orders, scoop up the cash, then stick people with a sub-par game, but I don't agree. From a financial standpoint, you have a built-in consumer base with all the people who bought ME:A, those would have translated to massive DLC purchases. In hindsight though, I knew something was up when there wasn't a "Season Pass" option for pre-orders. Almost every game now has an Ultimate Edition or something that includes all future DLC, pretty much ensuring at least some longevity. If a game doesn't have that either before or right after launch, it isn't going to last long.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, I don't really get it either. I liked Andromeda. It wasn't as good as ME3, but it was still pretty good, and like you I would've enjoyed more DLC and games set in the new galaxy.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Number of games sold must not be the only metric here. Clearly there's much more going on behind the scenes. I'm guessing the development costs on a AAA RPG/Shooter aren't worth it for them. They'd likely just rather churn out the next Battlefield title.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Smoove_B wrote:Number of games sold must not be the only metric here. Clearly there's much more going on behind the scenes. I'm guessing the development costs on a AAA RPG/Shooter aren't worth it for them. They'd likely just rather churn out the next Battlefield title.
Well, for a while there everyone was trying to bank on the MOBA-type games and FPS arena types (Overwatch, Battle Born, Titanfall, etc, etc, etc.) Games with a ton of back story, but no single player experience to speak of. I, for one, cannot get into those games. If I am going to go the FPS-route, which I don't really like, it has to have a single player mode and a great storyline, like Skyrim or Mass Effect did. I also loath dealing with other players unless I know them personally. Too much BS from the Xbox Live days gone by have soured me on non-MMORPG Multiplayer. Oooh Crimson Skies, how I loved thee, but hated the children who apparently all banged my Mom.
Model Mayhem # 641920
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Sectoid wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:Number of games sold must not be the only metric here. Clearly there's much more going on behind the scenes. I'm guessing the development costs on a AAA RPG/Shooter aren't worth it for them. They'd likely just rather churn out the next Battlefield title.
Well, for a while there everyone was trying to bank on the MOBA-type games and FPS arena types (Overwatch, Battle Born, Titanfall, etc, etc, etc.) Games with a ton of back story, but no single player experience to speak of. I, for one, cannot get into those games. If I am going to go the FPS-route, which I don't really like, it has to have a single player mode and a great storyline, like Skyrim or Mass Effect did. I also loath dealing with other players unless I know them personally. Too much BS from the Xbox Live days gone by have soured me on non-MMORPG Multiplayer. Oooh Crimson Skies, how I loved thee, but hated the children who apparently all banged my Mom.
Yes, fully agreed. I wish that companies would go back to doing single player campaigns. I love a good FPS, but I want a story and I don't want to be competing against a 14 year old caffeine freak with a wit deficiency.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I didn't know Crimson Skies even had a MP part. I played it on PC and loved it..all by myself. Been wanting a sequel ever since.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Daehawk wrote:I didn't know Crimson Skies even had a MP part. I played it on PC and loved it..all by myself. Been wanting a sequel ever since.
Crimson Skies on the Xbox was HUGE for multiplayer on Xbox Live. One of the first games to use it right.
Model Mayhem # 641920
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

This article just scratches the surface, but yes, there's a ton going on behind the scenes with Bioware and Bioware Montreal in particular.
Hodor.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Most. Depressing. N7. Day. Ever.

Enlarge Image
(That looks like a sunset instead of a sunrise now...)

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The obligatory N7 Day video -- Ten Years of Mass Effect

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks everyone for the first 3 ME games . Loved them except for the ending to the series.

And a big old F U to ME4 and everyone who made it. You killed a great series. Thanks aholes.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Thanking and then giving an FU to the same people is kinda funny.
Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:44 pm Thanking and then giving an FU to the same people is kinda funny.
Its not the same people.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:03 pm
pr0ner wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:44 pm Thanking and then giving an FU to the same people is kinda funny.
Its not the same people.
You're saying there's no overlap between, for instance, the ME3 and ME:A teams at all? This is wrong. There are a very large number of people who worked on the previous ME games and ME: Andromeda.
Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:07 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:03 pm
Its not the same people.
You're saying there's no overlap between, for instance, the ME3 and ME:A teams at all? This is wrong. There are a very large number of people who worked on the previous ME games and ME: Andromeda.
Still see nothing wrong with thanking them for 3 great games and panning them for one stupid one.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Thanks but FU seems to misguided and petty given the whole situation surrounding ME:A, but whatever.
Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Situation?
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Mass Effect was a flagship XBOX game and it had the budget to match. Microsoft treated it like a console seller and ended the series with a great florish.

The "reboot" was underfunded and under supported as compared with the original series. I think we became accustom to what Mass Effect was in the past and just did not realize we would be getting a lesser Mass Effect using the same engine as the Dragon Age Inquisition game. It is a fun game but I can see the budget limiting choices they made.

I still have not finished the game as the story really has not grabbed me and I felt like there are a TON of missed opportunities. Maybe someday Bioware will be ready to reboot the IP properly. Yeah, bummer of a N7.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Currently $10 for a key to activate it on Origin, via Amazon. That seems...cheap.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Only if they are GIVING you the $10. :)
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

It used to be that the Mass Effect games on Steam required you to create an EA account in order to install/play so I avoided them. Is that still the case these days?

Mass Effect 1 and 2 are on a great sale in a bundle for about $8 and since I've never played any of these games I'd like to buy them. But not if they still require EA. Anyone know?
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I am currently playing Mass Effect:Andromeda and yes, I am required to play it thru an Origins account. I also see I have ME:3 there so I must have had to play ME:3 that way as well, or maybe it was just for the free DLC they gave out to wrap the story up.

I have had no problems playing thru Origin by the way.
Black Lives Matter