PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

TheMix

Re: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Post by TheMix »

TheMix wrote:
Redfive wrote:Are you posting these vids somewhere?

The link above (last time I checked) was just a vid of our hijinks when I got run down.
If you click on his name, you can see other videos that he's posted. Looks like just 2 at the moment.
Edit: Or I could just post that link myself.... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUMAB- ... CGdDyKfdDw. Sometimes I get too much into the "teach a man to fish" mode. Sorry. :oops:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Wanna watch me deer in the headlights until run over? No? Too bad.

Just got 220 cash for a single match, highest to date. Murdered while looking in the wrong direction. Again. In my defense, in the opposite direction 2 smoke grenades had gone off AND I was hit while vacating the area, so I assumed it was from the grenade direction. In retrospect, probably not.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, sorry. You can look at a guy's channel by clicking on his user name on youtube. The channel will list all the videos he's posted. Sometimes it will have playlists which is just a series of videos.

Right now I'm just messing with the in-game features, so there might be some video spam and/or uninteresting videos showing up that I will probably delete later. Also I noticed a conflict between the in-game highlights video saves and the manual video saves. For instance, I had been alive for awhile so I thought I'd just save the last 2 minutes of play (2 minutes is a pre-configured amount. It defaults to 5, can go higher. This is different from manually turning video capture on and off in that it's always on, always the last 2 minutes. So it's a constantly moving chunk of time). Shortly after I manually saved, I got a kill. The highlight video that was saved was only 3 seconds (normally 30-35 seconds) and was after the actual kill.

That's not how I expected it to work, and means I need to juggle the manual "snapshots" versus the automatic highlights. Bummer.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Maybe use some 3rd party software to record your entire gaming session and then grab the chunks that you want?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

You can record your Twitch stream.

I mentioned it last night but I can stream at any time and setting it up from scratch isn't hard.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

TheMix wrote:Maybe use some 3rd party software to record your entire gaming session and then grab the chunks that you want?
That would involve editing, which, so far, I'm trying to avoid. My point was that I was screwing around with the software so if things show up and you're like Wtf?, that's probably why.

That said, the Nvidia software allows you to simply turn recording on, which records everything until you turn it off. You can record everything, including your alt-tabs, desktop, whatever, if you want. File size becomes an issue eventually. You just need to deal with it, it's not insurmountable or anything.

Sometimes the youtube ui is intuitive, and sometimes it's not. It's weird. it's all new to me so maybe it's just the learning curve. Looking at my channel details, it says I have about 4-6 videos waiting to upload, but they all have the Nvidia non-descriptive descriptions so I'm not sure what they are. Or even why they are. Doesn't look like I can find out until they actually get uploaded, because right now they just show up as a place holder graphic and generic PUBG/Nvidia description at 0% uploaded.

Uploading with the capture software is different from uploading manually. Manually, you use the Youtube interface, manually pick a file from your drive, keep the youtube page open while it uploads, etc. Everything you'd expect from a manual process. Auto-uploading from within the game is just a matter of giving your youtube login info to the software (one time event) then hitting "share" on specific post-game highlight videos. There is even some small editing available, like adjusting volume, picking only a certain timeframe within the video (for example, starting at 10 seconds in and ending at 25 seconds in, so the middle 15 seconds of a 35 second video). It's limited, but at least it's available.

Youtube also does streaming, although I'm not sure how well it works. I've seen people switch their stream from twitch when something goes wrong to youtube streaming, on the fly. The Nvidia software does streaming too, and one of the options is twitch. I'm guessing the Nvidia software is just written to take advantage of the youtube and twitch stream API's, making it easier for those who don't want to set it up manually.

In fact I'm probably gonna mess with the youtube streaming since I'm already 1/2 there. I have no intention of becoming a streamer but now that I'm here I'm curious how it works.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yep, see, on my channel there is a 35 second clip of me getting run over and a 25 second clip of me getting run over. The 25 second one I used the ingame "share" option and cut it down by 10 seconds. Meanwhile it looks like the in-game software automatically "shared' the full clip as well. I'm not actually sure how or why this happened, but it's the wonky stuff I was warning about as I experiment.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, had live streaming up and running. It cut out on me multiple times. I restarted multiple times. Either a bandwidth issue, a resolution issue, both, or something else. In any case, it was working and my channel had video of the stream after it was over. I didn't actually try to connect to my own stream live. Might try that later just to see it in action.

So that's about it. I've tested some of the features, have a decent idea how things work. I'll post random stuff if it seems vaguely interesting, otherwise I think this is the end of my youtubing career.

I mean, I'll still post stuff that the OO'er squad does on occasion, but I think I'm finished with posting every kill or every death I experience.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So on the one hand I was confused why a 3rd person shooter would have free look. Separately, I was wishing for a feature that allowed me to look left or right while still moving in a straight line. This is important for when you're booting it across country but want to know if people are on your flanks without changing direction. Also, a vehicle doesn't allow you to change direction as quickly, so there was no way to check your flanks while in a buggy, for example.

Free look. look to the side. Free look. Look to the side.

Eventually I made the connection and now I have free look bound to a convenient key. MUCH better.

I've also bound my scroll up mousewheel to weapon #1 and scroll down mousewheel to weapon #2. Since the only time I ever use my pistol is when I don't have a #1 or #2 weapon, I didn't bother to change its mapping. I need to do something about the different grenade types, but I'll have to think on that. Changing the mousewheel binding means I will no longer scroll down to my melee weapon or up to my grenade when what I really wanted to do was switch between close range (shotgun/uzi/ump9) and long range (AKM/m16a4/sks/whatever) weapons.

Honestly I was unable to ever, ever remember which way I wanted to scroll before. Now it's always up=#1, down=#2. And if I scroll down too much, I don't scroll by the weapon I wanted. I can scroll down a million times and once I have #2 equipped, it stays equipped.

UI voodoo ftw. I hope. Anything has got to be better than what I've been doing.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Also, I just drove over myself with a boat. On dry land.

I'm not posting that video. Because honestly it sounds more interesting than it looks.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Small circle, rank headed upwards from 20, round a corner on a small outbuilding with a burned out jeep beside it. Is that what I think it is? Yes, yes it is. There's a dude lying on the ground looking down sights in the opposite direction. I have my tommy gun equipped and set to full auto. He's 5 feet from me and doesn't know I'm there. It's a close fire fight, but I come out on top!

Yay. Unfortunately I mess up the auto-upload by manually saving the recording, so what the highlight recording has is 3 seconds of me looting his body.

But what's this? Seconds after looting the body, someone comes around the OTHER corner of the building. We're both crouched, we both open fire but again, victorious is me! This video should show up on my channel. it starts with me in the inventory screen because I'm looting the first body, see?

My death, which I also uploaded for no apparent reason, occurs as the circle shrinks again and I'm stationed by a tree watching a firefight unfold in a nearby building. All I see are muzzle flashes and all I hear are firecrackers, but I've got the entrance in my 2x scope sights. Then a vehicle drives by right behind me and scares my pants off. It drives away and by the time I return my attention to the firefight, it's over and I'm not sure if anyone got out of the building alive. While trying to figure this out, I'm shot in the back of the head twice, pop-pop from near range in the outward direction of the circle shrinkage.

I should mention that after my completely blindsiding the guy on the ground, my thoughts were to try to ambush anyone coming in from outside the play area. So despite ganking a dude that way, and then thinking about ganking others who might be migrating inward, I got ganked by someone migrating inwards. So...yeah. There you go.

Still, rank #10, 2 kills and over 300 murder cash! Best showing yet.

I'm done until tonight. Wasn't supposed to play this long. :twisted:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

You have your first youtube subscriber. Prepare for fame!

I turned on the fancy nvidia option this morning, but didn't get any kills or recording of my death. I'll try more tonight.

Also congrats on the finish. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Heh. Prepare to be disappointed.

That said, RedV, I found our double grenade death video! I don't know why I couldn't see it last night, but I was just rooting through the piles of video (this stuff generates it by the boatloadful) and found it. So it's uploading now. Should be available in the next little while. Not much to it beside laughter.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I love it. If you watch closely you can see me bounce the grenade off of the wall trim and it lands right underneath the table.

Could.not.find.a.gun.that.round, but the Neo trenchcoat made up for it.

Good stuff
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Redfive wrote:I love it. If you watch closely you can see me bounce the grenade off of the wall trim and it lands right underneath the table.
Yep, while playing I wasn't sure what I saw, but reviewing the video, it's clear as day.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'll have to look into the recording thing. I would have loved to have a stream of my drive off the cliff. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
naednek

Post by naednek »

you can record your game? Is it some in game recorder, or a 3rd party? I would love to see how someone found me
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I need a discord invite
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote:I need a discord invite
You don't, really. Just click my link, it'll tell you it is expired (probably) and then take you to the address anyway.

edit: Apparently you do. I'm not sure how I got there the first time. Just a sec.

24 hour invite link: OO discord server
Last edited by GreenGoo on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

naednek wrote:you can record your game? Is it some in game recorder, or a 3rd party? I would love to see how someone found me
Yeah, no, unfortunately there is no tool for that sort of thing. What I've been talking about is straight up video recording, so whatever your "camera' sees, that's what gets recorded. If you never see your killer, recorded video of you dying is unlikely to help, although it may contain a clue as to which direction you were killed from. There have been times when bullet decals have been all I've had to go on. If somehow you had access to your kiler's video, then of course, but no, no real way.

Typically things happen so fast that I miss something while playing so I review the video after to see how I screwed up.

edit: To answer your question, I've been using Nvidia's built-in video recording functionality into all their newer video cards.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Redfive wrote:You can record your Twitch stream.

I mentioned it last night but I can stream at any time and setting it up from scratch isn't hard.
If only someone had mentioned recording a Twitch stream...

:horse:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Damn. Now I really want a second monitor so I can have your stream up and on display while we play. That would be awesome.

Now I'm curious why my youtube streaming closed multiple times. I'm on cable so my upload is not great. That's probably it.

Anyone playing tonight do not be shy. We can take turns duo'ing or if we have 4, quadro'ing(? is that what the kids are calling it these days?).
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote:
coopasonic wrote:I need a discord invite
You don't, really. Just click my link, it'll tell you it is expired (probably) and then take you to the address anyway.

edit: Apparently you do. I'm not sure how I got there the first time. Just a sec.

24 hour invite link: OO discord server
Thanks.

I just got 2nd place... and never fired a shot. I even had the drop on the other guy but didn't take the shot at range... then he killed me with one shot to the head at very close range.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Going to play for awhile..hopefully can get a few to join.

Decided to go ahead and throw up the stream https://www.twitch.tv/red51ve

Don't expect anything spectacular but GreenGoo and I (and anyone else that wants, need two more for a foursome) and going to see how many ways we can die horribly.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just tried voice calling coop on steam. He's in game. Hopefully the distraction killed him. :D

He didn't answer, btw. Coop, I know you're home! Pickup!

edit: Ok, I started uploading a couple of videos of us playing. Nothing too exciting, although the moving vehicle firefight and just bailing on the long range battle because we both have pellet shooters are in there.

It would be cool to splice your stream and my videos together, so instead of the normal in-frame head profile of the typical streamer, you could see both our viewpoints in real time, side by side. That would be cool, right? Damn, this is exactly what I wanted to avoid. I am not going to become a video editor dude. It's not my thing, I have no experience and there are thousands of people who do it for a living.

Still. Side by side camera views....drool.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote:Just tried voice calling coop on steam. He's in game. Hopefully the distraction killed him. :D

Sorry, it turns out I am voice shy. Is that a thing? I'll use my kids sleeping as an excuse... yeah that's the ticket!

I'm getting more comfortable and getting a few more kills now. I even hit someone using a scope... he hit me back harder.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

For the record Red, when you knocked a guy down and then were downed by his partner, and I came around the corner of the building with just a pistol and decided to focus on the downed partner and not the still standing dude, I told you I failed to kill the downed partner, which essentially left them both alive and us both dead. That was incorrect. Reviewing the video I can see that I finished off the downed guy before the still up guy killed me.

In retrospect I think I made the right decision. I had already taken damage earlier, so my healthbar was at 1/3 or less. I could have gone for the win, and killed the still standing dude, but given my "skill" and health situation, I would almost certainly have lost that. Putting the downed partner in the ground was, probably, the best I could hope for.

Not sure if any of that rings a bell. I'm not uploading the video, it's not great. I can if you care enough to want to see it, but otherwise not going to bother. If you do want to see it, that's cool. It's hard for me to know what might be interesting to people and what is meaningless, contextless short clips of boring.

I'm just not an experienced video dude, or experienced PUBG (although I'm putting in the hours).

tl;dr
---------------
decided to kill the downed partner and the small victory instead of the up partner for the big victory. I said I failed. I didn't. I killed the downed partner.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:Just tried voice calling coop on steam. He's in game. Hopefully the distraction killed him. :D

Sorry, it turns out I am voice shy. Is that a thing? I'll use my kids sleeping as an excuse... yeah that's the ticket!

I'm getting more comfortable and getting a few more kills now. I even hit someone using a scope... he hit me back harder.
Don't even sweat it. I think I'm a pretty easy going guy and seem to get along with everyone. I do tend to talk too much when nervous or excited or stressed. You can witness some of that in the videos with Red.

If you're not comfortable with voice chat but still want to communicate, feel free to send a normal text chat request through steam, or even within discord if you want.

The game is so much fun with 2 people that I would love to get 4 oo'ers in a game. You are obviously a stronger player than most of us so I wouldn't stress about that. Unless of course you don't want to team up with scrubs. In that case, eff U! :D

The scope fight sounds like fun.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Red, I put up a bunch more videos that will probably be available the next time you're online. Most of them are 30 second clips. Not sure if anyone else is interested in these things, but I thought you might like to see how some of our encounters played out from my perspective.

Obviously I only have my own camera to record so the videos I post are by their very nature, GreenGoo centric. For anyone watching, it's "all about me" because that's the only perspective I have.

Red, one of the videos might illuminate the confusion of how you got killed after you thought both enemies were down. What happens is the first guy jumps and goes prone and it only looks like he's killed (at least from my camera angle). He's still alive (he's the one that threw the grenade) and he's the one that headshots you just before the dome kills you while you're healing me. I know it's the same guy because he's the guy who put me down at the beginning of the fight with the mini14. Same guy, same gun that kills you at the end.

It's an interesting video because you can see me almost perfectly line him up at the beginning of the fight but the shotgun pellets are too dispersed by the time they reach him. i.e. he's out of shotgun range. I knew that would be a problem at the time but really didn't see a solution. Moving closer was not a great option either. Any other weapon, including a pistol, would have done more damage and might have even killed him with your help (or helped you kill him. Either way).

Check it out tomorrow.

edit: Just watched it again the jump/prone thing that I said is wrong. You (I think it's you) fire a bunch of rounds into the first guy (second guy is dead, this is post grenade explosion) but I can't see if it's actually you firing, or what you're firing at. There is no kill message, then you start healing me. I'm wondering if you only thought you killed him, or maybe there was a sync issue where your game reported him down, while his (and mine) didn't not think he was down. I don't know. Seems like something went oddly there.

He also waits a really long time (relatively) from the time you stop shooting at him to the time you start healing me before he starts firing again, headshotting you and ending the round for us. We can take solace in the fact that all 4 of us were outside the play area at the end, and your killer almost certainly died moments later to the circle.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, that side by side video idea is chewing away at my brain.

Next time we play, can you save your twitch stream after and make it available to me somehow? Dropbox or..anything that you can think of.

I'm going to record our full play session too, grab some open source video editing software and see what I can whip up in a very quick and dirty attempt. Even if it takes hours and no one else is interested, I want to watch at least one of our play sessions side by side from both camera perspectives. That just sounds too cool not to try it.

From what I've seen of Youtube's streaming, capturing/saving your stream should be easy as pie. Getting a multi-gig file to me might take some work. EDITING might be beyond my abilities, but I wanna try.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Likely will be around tonight, probably not until 9-10ET. I had a really frustrating night last night playing. No matter what I did it ended in horrible death. Didn't get a single kill. I wanted to toss my computer into a wall. So weird as the day before I was doing so much better. Seemed like I just keep on bumping into the best of the best. :x
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote:Red, I put up a bunch more videos that will probably be available the next time you're online. Most of them are 30 second clips. Not sure if anyone else is interested in these things, but I thought you might like to see how some of our encounters played out from my perspective.
I enjoy them. It's educational to see how others play when things get interesting.

I also have learned that sometimes the other guy is just too damned good.. but there are people out there just as bad as we are too... they just don't tend to last very long so you don't often see them. :P I always assume the person that kills me is the eventual winner. Shut up. It's true!

Also, I have been trying to get the nvidia highlights thing to work and just now see there is an in-game setting too... duh.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I can't find the video of our exchange at the end of the night you referenced--the one where I was reviving you and got shot...right before dying to the blue damage anyway.

Really curious to see that go down but I don't see it in the list.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, uploads were really slow when I went to bed, it's possible it's not done yet or stalled out.

I'll check later and fix anything that needs fixing.

All my talk about not becoming a video editor and I spent an hour last night trying to figure out which software I should start learning.

Damn it.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Goo found a new game to occupy him!!!! :D

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Windows Movie Maker doesn't totally suck and it is free. I don't know if you could do the side by side thing though. I've only done simple edits, titles, transitions, etc.

Never mind, it appears that it is dead now. It was part of Microsoft Essentials which is no longer available. That odd being that it was "essential."
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

MS probably decided that it was more essential that you give them money....

Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

TheMix wrote:Goo found a new game to occupy him!!!! :D
For now. I find I'm intensely interested in something and then move on lately. That said, I still want to finish my current moo4 game, have been putting in turns here and there.

Right now it's the video thing that has me focused more than the game, although watching the clips after the duo is all about the dynamic of teamplay and how different play styles mesh.

It's very interesting to me.

Red, the clip we discussed didn't finish uploading, not sure why. I've restarted. Will post when/if it finishes. It's a good little clip, you can see dust being kicked up as bullets land around our targets and their targets (i.e. us). I have you in frame when they engage you and dust is flying around you.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I think you missed my joke. I was referring to the video capture and editing. :wink:

Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Oh, that's interesting. In the firefight I'm uploading, the game is reporting 3 different enemy names. I get 1 kill that is "You FINALLY kill soandso".

I wonder if that is actually someone I damaged much earlier in the match that finally died to the dome? I never see more than 2 targets and the guy who killed you in the end was also the guy that put me down.

The timing on the dome assisted kill would be incredibly...something, because it happens RIGHT in the middle of our firefight with 2 other people.