Marvel's Netflix serieses

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Re: Marvel's Netflix serieses

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Smoove_B wrote:That being said, I am excited for The Punisher, though I do wonder how he's going to play with casual fans. He's...not a nice guy. Then again, maybe because he's so different than what's currently available for entertainment, he might do well.
I think I would be a casual fan overall. I didn't know who Iron Fist was before the show. I am not an avid comic book reader. I have no idea who Night Nurse is. I have no outrage about the deadpool character being swapped to a different race as I didn't know who she was before. Most of my knowledge of Marvel comes from movies, pop culture, etcetera.

Deadpool did pretty well with casual fans. The Punisher looks great to me. Jon Bernthal was great in DD S2. He certainly can't be worse than what they've done with Iron Fist. Everything about that character has been bad. Bad acting, bad characterization, bad writing. You name it. All terrible. Anyway, Punisher looks awesome from a causal fan's perspective. Whether it's true to the comic I don't know (and don't care).
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hepcat wrote:It's a testimony to the show's style when I actually look forward to the musical scenes at Cottonmouth's club. Raphael Saadiq, Method Man...all great...but good goddamn if 67 year old Funk singer Charles Bradley didn't make them all look like amateurs. I'm now searching for any and all music from this man. :shock:
Well crap, Charles Bradley has died at 68 years of age. I was just listening to his last album a few weeks ago. Such a great talent. :cry:
Covfefe!
DD*

Post by DD* »

Well, I finished up Jessica Jones (damn!) and am working through season 2 of DD. Just started the arc with Matt's old flame, and it looks pretty damn interesting. The Punisher storyline was fantastic, IMO - very much looking forward to seeing where they go with it.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:
hepcat wrote:It's a testimony to the show's style when I actually look forward to the musical scenes at Cottonmouth's club. Raphael Saadiq, Method Man...all great...but good goddamn if 67 year old Funk singer Charles Bradley didn't make them all look like amateurs. I'm now searching for any and all music from this man. :shock:
Well crap, Charles Bradley has died at 68 years of age. I was just listening to his last album a few weeks ago. Such a great talent. :cry:
From a quick Wiki search his music shows up in a few shows. But it's Luke Cage which turned me on to him. Listening to the album "Changes: The Instrumentals" on Spotify and it just oozes cool. The producers made a great choice in Charles along with the other artists on Luke Cage. Not going to get into spoilerish specifics but it was a bit of a shame when the nemesis changed in the show. The club really was something to look forward to.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

EvilHomer3k wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:That being said, I am excited for The Punisher, though I do wonder how he's going to play with casual fans. He's...not a nice guy. Then again, maybe because he's so different than what's currently available for entertainment, he might do well.
I think I would be a casual fan overall. I didn't know who Iron Fist was before the show. I am not an avid comic book reader. I have no idea who Night Nurse is. I have no outrage about the deadpool character being swapped to a different race as I didn't know who she was before. Most of my knowledge of Marvel comes from movies, pop culture, etcetera.

Deadpool did pretty well with casual fans. The Punisher looks great to me. Jon Bernthal was great in DD S2. He certainly can't be worse than what they've done with Iron Fist. Everything about that character has been bad. Bad acting, bad characterization, bad writing. You name it. All terrible. Anyway, Punisher looks awesome from a causal fan's perspective. Whether it's true to the comic I don't know (and don't care).
As a casual fan.. I am looking forward to it. :)
As for origin, I'm not sure yet. The origin from DD was pretty close. The origin implied in the trailer was different from DD and the comic.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Second Punisher trailer is out. It is fantastic. The music fits the mood really well. Did I say the trailer was fantastic?
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/re ... ew-1057289

Far better than 'Iron Fist,' Marvel's latest Netflix stand-alone is a tight, brutal six-episode story of revenge stretched exhaustingly and inexcusably over 13 hours.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

tjg_marantz wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:17 pm http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/re ... ew-1057289

Far better than 'Iron Fist,' Marvel's latest Netflix stand-alone is a tight, brutal six-episode story of revenge stretched exhaustingly and inexcusably over 13 hours.
Ummmm......contradiction for $500, Alex.
If it is "a tight" six story episode, how can it also be "stretched exhaustingly and inexcusably"?
One or the other, bub.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

His contention is that there was enough story for six hours, and they diluted it out to thirteen.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Fingers crossed in hopes there's not even a hint of ninjas.
Covfefe!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Variety seemed to really like it, but they only got to see the first six episodes for their review.
Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I'll wait for a review that's less politically motivated. :roll:
It's the show's relationship with guns that's sure to cause the most unease for anybody who has sat in sadness in front of a news broadcast in recent years. Watching Frank Castle storming around in all black wearing the trademark Punisher skull while reports were breaking about a shooter in black killing 26 people in Texas was unsettling. Listening to pundits bemoan the lack of movement on sensible gun control while watching a show in which the opening credits are two minutes of loving close-ups of rifles forming into the Punisher skull made me flinch every time. I'm sure all involved would want to point out that The Punisher goes to great lengths to show the damage guns can do, but at the same time it's a show that treats every expelled cartridge, every smoking gun barrel and every sniper sight as nearly sexual. Take it as you will that this is a show that makes strong Second Amendment arguments and that treats its one liberal politician as a spineless and oblivious stooge when he isn't speaking in hollow platitudes about unenforceable policy. Having a show this turned-on about its firearms use in this particular moment is going to make The Punisher very popular in some circles and infuriating in others. Take that as knowledge, not as a pro or con. For me, it was a distraction, not a detraction per se; it wasn't the thing that kept me from getting completely involved in The Punisher.
Excessive gun violence in the Punisher? I'm shocked. Absolutely shocked. Said nobody ever. Next thing you know, someone will tell met that there are dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. I don't care if this show gets 1% at Rotten Tomatoes. Friday night I'm watching it. Not every episode but at least a few of them. I won't be thinking about real life gun violence. I won't be thinking about my job. I'll just be entertained and that's all I want.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:04 pm His contention is that there was enough story for six hours, and they diluted it out to thirteen.
Can confirm.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:17 pm Variety seemed to really like it, but they only got to see the first six episodes for their review.
The other 7 episodes are the ones that the negative review were specifically talking about. They all are just an extended scene of Frank at the DMV trying to renew a class C driver's license.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not sure if it's my internet speed or the embedded image. Bravo.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:40 pm Not sure if it's my internet speed or the embedded image. Bravo.
That got a chuckle. :lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

TheMix wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:43 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:40 pm Not sure if it's my internet speed or the embedded image. Bravo.
That got a chuckle. :lol:
Indeed. I see someone's not up on his Zootopia...

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I assume that was directed at Smoove. I got the reference immediately. And juxtaposed with Smoove's well-known internet speed... Whether he got the reference or not, I thought it was well done. Hence the chuckle.

Edit: Nevermind. I see now that you were agreeing with me. For some reason I didn't read/interpret "indeed" properly the first time.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:23 pm I'll wait for a review that's less politically motivated. :roll:
It's the show's relationship with guns that's sure to cause the most unease for anybody who has sat in sadness in front of a news broadcast in recent years. Watching Frank Castle storming around in all black wearing the trademark Punisher skull while reports were breaking about a shooter in black killing 26 people in Texas was unsettling. Listening to pundits bemoan the lack of movement on sensible gun control while watching a show in which the opening credits are two minutes of loving close-ups of rifles forming into the Punisher skull made me flinch every time. I'm sure all involved would want to point out that The Punisher goes to great lengths to show the damage guns can do, but at the same time it's a show that treats every expelled cartridge, every smoking gun barrel and every sniper sight as nearly sexual. Take it as you will that this is a show that makes strong Second Amendment arguments and that treats its one liberal politician as a spineless and oblivious stooge when he isn't speaking in hollow platitudes about unenforceable policy. Having a show this turned-on about its firearms use in this particular moment is going to make The Punisher very popular in some circles and infuriating in others. Take that as knowledge, not as a pro or con. For me, it was a distraction, not a detraction per se; it wasn't the thing that kept me from getting completely involved in The Punisher.
Excessive gun violence in the Punisher? I'm shocked. Absolutely shocked. Said nobody ever. Next thing you know, someone will tell met that there are dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. I don't care if this show gets 1% at Rotten Tomatoes. Friday night I'm watching it. Not every episode but at least a few of them. I won't be thinking about real life gun violence. I won't be thinking about my job. I'll just be entertained and that's all I want.
Wait..What?? WTH is The Punisher doing with guns.. This is completely ridiculous and something I don't appreciate with The Punisher.. I'm gonna have to change my username and completely ignore the Netflix show.. In fact, I'm canceling Netflix..
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I have a kid; of course I've seen Zootopia. :D

Here's the thing about the Punisher - in modern America, there will never be a good time to release his story. He's a screwed up dude - majorly screwed up. It actually makes me uncomfortable to read that military units and police departments have adopted his logo. Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge fan of the Punisher (comics) but it's pretty easy to miss the point (as would be suggested when police officers use his emblem). I also think Rorschach is a fantastic character - and they're quite similar. Frank Castle is just at a whole different level.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I was never much of a fan of the Punisher - possibly for that exact reason. Spider-Man and with great power comes great responsibility always resonated more to me.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:07 pm It actually makes me uncomfortable to read that military units and police departments have adopted his logo.
People that work with guns like a guy that is synonymous with guns. And then there's the whole hero aspect of it. They're still people.

And I can find nothing to confirm that they are officially adopted by police or military units. At best, they're morale patches.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:11 pm I was never much of a fan of the Punisher - possibly for that exact reason. Spider-Man and with great power comes great responsibility always resonated more to me.
As much of a fan as I am of The Punisher and pro law enforcement, I always felt that this decision was not a good one... IT's one thing if officers decide to wear it while off duty or something, but I have seen this on patrol cars and it just isn't right in my eyes..
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:21 pmAnd I can find nothing to confirm that they are officially adopted by police or military units. At best, they're morale patches.
The most recent adoption by a police agency (that made the news and that I'm aware of) is here. Not surprisingly, once it went public they were ordered to remove it. You can read about the military's relationship with the Punisher here. It's also a logo that's seemingly been adopted by the Three Percenters as well, which is just gross.

As a fan of the comics, it's one of the reasons I wouldn't ever wear a shirt or hat with that logo - it's taken on a new meaning.
morlac

Post by morlac »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:23 pm I'll wait for a review that's less politically motivated. :roll:
From what I took on the quoted article it was less about the gun violence and more about the gun worship that was disturbing to the author. Slight but significant difference. You can have one without the other.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:11 pm I was never much of a fan of the Punisher - possibly for that exact reason. Spider-Man and with great power comes great responsibility always resonated more to me.
:wub:
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I've watched the first four episodes of Punisher. Super good so far. Everything that I wanted it to be and more.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Yep I watched the first 3 last night, really enjoying it.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

We finished the first episode yesterday, and it's really good. I'm looking forward to watching another episode tonight.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Three episodes in and I'm loving it so far. Could use more sexy gun violence though.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Two episodes in, meh. Better than Iron fist by miles and maybe defenders due to directing and cinematography touch. The dialogue is bad, the tropes are abundant, and I already feel like this is going to be his reintroduction arc but super stretched out.
Spoiler:
Really the highly trained NSA spook hacker gets one Menacing phone retort and becomes comically inept sidekick victim? We get it, Punisher is awesome and he's now a counter Intel specialist.
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

Finished watching the series last night and I have complicated feels.

The bad:

As a paean to masculinity, it falls short. It almost plays better as a parody about shoot-em-ups than as a serious show. It's a show about gun violence written by someone with little working knowledge of guns.
Spoiler:
At one point, someone is shot in the face by a high-caliber weapon, and spits out the bullet. At another, someone is shot in the arm by a similar weapon, and the bullet seems to stop a quarter-inch in.
Bullets appear to travel with the force of narrative expediency, for better or worse.

Yes, the violence is gratuitous at times, which is expected, but at times you could almost sense the authors pubescent glee at it.
Spoiler:
In one episode, (non-gun) violence is interspersed with flashback sex scenes in a way that seemed to lack emotional honesty and comes across instead as gross.
It's narrative it lends itself to political discussion, which I won't get into here, except to note
Spoiler:
that they portray the only staunchly anti-gun character as a colossal coward when the going gets rough.
An entire storyline is devoted to a discussion of gun rights that seems to flounder as the main proponent is
Spoiler:
a desperate and confused veteran with Taxi Driver aspirations and a serious case of hero worship

The good:

Jon Bernthal is perfectly cast, and brings humor to an otherwise humorless character. His interactions with Micro, and I'm thinking of two scenes in particular
Spoiler:
The sandwich scene, and the scene at the end - "You had access to that kind of money and you made us live in that dump?"
showed an unexpected nuance - Bernthal's Punisher is not a nihilist, he is a man still able to laugh and love, which I feel is essential to this character. Bernthal is able to convey the scope of his "emotional journey" - as trite as that sounds - (his humor, fears, love, and rage) in an almost entirely unspoken way. I liked him as Shane in The Walking Dead, and his brief run as Punisher in the previous Marvel series, but I feel, oddly, that this is his most nuanced work to date. His Punisher is damaged but not broken.

Bernthal's dynamic with Deborah Ann Woll (Karen Page) is full of chemistry and unspoken feeling. Woll is a charismatic actress, and I've enjoyed her as Karen Page in the other Marvel series and as Jessica in True Blood before this - she seems to have an understated relatability that translates well to the actors and actresses she stars alongside. Together, they make their characters' complicated feelings for each other palpable, and I love it.

Ultimately, this was a complicated show that I feel was hindered by sub-par writing, and saved by phenomenal acting.
"Never write anything unless you wanted it copied and handed around. Don't speak to two people unless you are physically strong and fast enough to catch and kill both of them with bare hands." -Tareeq
"His elbow commands the sun! Bow before him!" -Two Sheds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

GargoyleBoy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:59 am Ultimately, this was a complicated show that I feel was hindered by sub-par writing, and saved by phenomenal acting.
Just finished this last night (Merry Christmas!) and I agree completely. It was leaps and bounds better than Iron First, in part, because of the actors. I really enjoyed the experience overall - never felt like it was dragging or that there were filler episodes. Looking forward to more, absolutely.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Luke Cage Season 2 teaser - starts 6/22/18
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The above is just a teaser - full trailer was released today.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I’m in!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I am SO far behind on my Marvel serieses. I never really started Defenders, and haven't done anything with JJ S2. I should get caught up.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I do believe that I will view this program.
msteelers

Marvel's Netflix serieses

Post by msteelers »

hentzau wrote:I am SO far behind on my Marvel serieses. I never really started Defenders, and haven't done anything with JJ S2. I should get caught up.
Defenders had pockets of awesomeness wrapped up in a so-so story. A lot of people hated JJ S2. I’m not one of them, but I doubt you will need to watch it before Luke Cage comes out.

You’ll want Defenders though. Luke Cage is supposed to deal with
Spoiler:
Heroes for Hire!!!