Let's Play Together: GM'd Battletech via Megamek

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

NickAragua

Re: Let's Play Together: GM'd Battletech via Megamek

Post by NickAragua »

gbasden wrote:How tall is the building in 1216? I can't read the height. I'm guessing it would block sight to the MG turret from 1716?
It's height 3. You will be able to shoot at the MG turret from 1716, as you'll be effectively at height 4.
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Madmarcus (and everyone else): A note on your move - I read the rules again, and it looks like flamers and machine guns only do the 4d6/2d6 damage to infantry not inside buildings. If an infantry unit is inside a building, the weapon does standard damage and some percentage of it is passed on to the infantry unit.

That being said, you can still set the building on fire (almost guaranteed at a 3+, according to some arcane table), which will automatically do damage to any units inside and also will kill infantry outright unless they roll an 8+ on a 2d6. So it's still a pretty good move.
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

OK, I'll jump to 1716 and fire the large laser at the MG turret.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Ok, I'll set the building on fire then. I'm skipping the laser this turn to reduce heat.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Gbasden jumps over to the north side of the hill and opens up with the large laser on the machinegun turret, inflicting damage on one of the weapons' ammo feeds. The operator will be spending the next turn scrambling to unjam it.

Isgrimnur takes some SRM's from the Saracen and Warrior attack helicopter, which throws off his aim so his PPC and LRM impact the woods instead of the Saracen. Armor holds fine though.

Madmarcus jumps right up to the southern infantry platoon. The flamer attack sets the building on fire and prevents them from getting an effective shot. He follows up with two punches to the building, with the debris killing two of the troopers. The rest mount up and book it out into the open, hanging on to their light hovercraft transports for dear life.

El Guapo walks northeast and takes a large laser shot at the Skulker, removing one of the wheels.

"Searching outlying southwest building", the Maxim calls out, then follows up shortly with. "Whoa, we got a hovertank trying to make friends!"

The enemy vehicles start making the somewhat treacherous descent down the hill to the base intersection. The Pegasus gets a little overexcited and side slips a little too far, going off the cliff edge and shattering to bits on the bridge below.

Raw firing and heat data:
Spoiler:
Weapon Attack Phase
-------------------

Weapons fire for Hover Assault Infantry Johnston Industries Rapid Response Force (Magistracy of Canopus)
    LRM Launcher (FarShot) at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 7 : misses

Weapons fire for Hover Assault Infantry Johnston Industries Rapid Response Force #2 (Magistracy of Canopus)
    LRM Launcher (FarShot) at Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 4 : misses

Weapons fire for Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Large Laser at Hex 0917 of Building #1389495637 (Collapse); needs 5, rolls 8 : hits.

Heavy Standard Building #1389495637 absorbs 8 points of damage.
        Damage threshold exceeded. Possible critical hit!
            Machine Gun jams!

LRM 10 at Hex 0917 of Building #1389495637 (Collapse); needs 5, rolls 2 : misses

Weapons fire for Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus)
    LRM 10 at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 7 : misses

SRM 2 at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 6 : misses

SRM 2 at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 10 : 2 missile(s) hit.

Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to RL.
            16 Armor remaining.

Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to LL.
            16 Armor remaining.

SRM 2 at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 3 : misses

Weapons fire for Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords)
    PPC at Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 10, rolls 5 : misses

Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 8 : no fire..

LRM 5 at Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 11, rolls 9 : misses

Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 11 : no fire..

Weapons fire for Pegasus Scout Hover Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    Medium Laser at Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 12, rolls 8 : misses

SRM 6 at Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 12, rolls 6 : misses

SRM 6 at Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 12, rolls 10 : misses

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Large Laser at Skulker Wheeled Scout Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 9, rolls 9 : hits LS
        Skulker Wheeled Scout Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 8 damage to LS.
            10 Armor remaining.
            Chance for motive system damage. Roll is 11; (w/ +2 bonus)
             Heavy damage, +3 to driving skill rolls, 1/2 MP.

Medium Laser at Skulker Wheeled Scout Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 11, rolls 8 : misses

Medium Laser at Skulker Wheeled Scout Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 11, rolls 8 : misses

Weapons fire for Skulker Wheeled Scout Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    Medium Laser at Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 12 : hits (using Left Side Partial cover (horizontal 50%) table) RT
        Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 5 damage to RT.
            6 Armor remaining.

Weapons fire for AC/5 Turret (Triple) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    AC/5 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 8, rolls 7 : misses

AC/5 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 8, rolls 7 : misses

AC/5 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 8, rolls 9 : hits CT
        Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 5 damage to CT.
            20 Armor remaining.

Weapons fire for Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Flamer at Hex 1020 of Building #1785197153 (Ignite), the shot is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), rolls 8 : hits!
        Needs 3 [4 (Flamer) - 1 (building)] to ignite, rolls 11
        Fire started in hex 1020.

Weapons fire for Warrior Attack Helicopter H-7 (Magistracy of Canopus)
    SRM 4 at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 10 : 2 missile(s) hit.

14 Armor remaining.

Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to RT.
            14 Armor remaining.

AC/2 at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 9 : hits RT
        Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to RT.
            12 Armor remaining.

Physical Attack Phase
-------------------

Physical attacks for Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Punch (Left Arm) at Hex 1020 of Building #1785197153 (Collapse), the punch is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), hits.
        Medium Standard Building #1785197153 absorbs 4 points of damage.
            2 damage is passed on to Hover Assault Infantry Johnston Industries Rapid Response Force #2 (Magistracy of Canopus).
        Hover Assault Infantry Johnston Industries Rapid Response Force #2 (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 1 damage to MEN.
            19 men alive

Punch (Right Arm) at Hex 1020 of Building #1785197153 (Collapse), the punch is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), hits.
        Medium Standard Building #1785197153 absorbs 4 points of damage.
            2 damage is passed on to Hover Assault Infantry Johnston Industries Rapid Response Force #2 (Magistracy of Canopus).
        Hover Assault Infantry Johnston Industries Rapid Response Force #2 (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 1 damage to MEN.
            18 men alive

Heat Phase
-------------------
Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 15 heat, sinks 17 heat and is now at 2 heat.
Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 15 heat, sinks 16 heat and is now at 3 heat.
Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 15 heat, sinks 16 heat and is now at 3 heat.
Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 8 heat, sinks 11 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Control Rolls
-------------------

End Phase
-------------------
Fire at 1020 was started this round.
Light smoke fills 0921.
Light smoke fills 0920.
Light smoke fills 1021.
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

"Gonna be another twenty seconds for air support, little bit of a *grunt* *crackle* party going on here." Chimes in the air support.

Beta lance, place your orders. Be aware that enemy reinforcements from the northeast will arrive at the beginning of next turn. Air recon reported that this batch is all fast-moving hovercraft.

Mechanical note: smoke in 0920 acts like light woods for purposes of LOS and to-hit difficulty.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I said that I would back up, so I should be facing the other direction, FWIW.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote:I said that I would back up, so I should be facing the other direction, FWIW.
Can't back up down hills, unfortunately.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote:
El Guapo wrote:I said that I would back up, so I should be facing the other direction, FWIW.
Seems like 24th+ century mechs should be able to walk backwards downhill.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm going to turn around and walk back to 2020.

Feel free to adjust this if there are better / more sensible hit percentages, but I'm planning on shooting the Scorpion (ML) tank at 1519 with my medium lasers (how ironic), and shoot my large laser and LRM5 at the Scorpion Light Tank (standard). Thought about shooting the large laser + LRM at the MG turret, but the Scorpion seems a little more dangerous (MG + AC/5 > 3 MGs), and I'm more likely to disable it (plus it's a little bit closer).

Pretty sure that works with LOS rules since I'll be at level 8 (battlemech standing on level 6) and there is no intervening terrain of 8+
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote:
NickAragua wrote:
Seems like 24th+ century mechs should be able to walk backwards downhill.
Backwards, though! It's impossible, I tell you!

Actually, there is an optional rule, which I didn't turn on this time around, whereby you can try to walk backwards up or down a hill. It just, uh, requires a piloting skill roll.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Aren't there any field technicians that can patch up a gyro system, incidentally?
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote:Aren't there any field technicians that can patch up a gyro system, incidentally?
We should have probably sprung for the gyro gnomes.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Three forward to 0713, facing change or torso twist, depending on 'stuck roll', to 0714, engage the Saracen at 0718.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Ugh. I'm really struggling with what to do. I could jump back up into the water and unload on the MG turret, or I could move into the center and make myself a target so that the firestarter could light up those infantry.

I guess I shouldn't be playing things safe at this point. I could jump to 1415, shoot some medium lasers at the helo and target the large laser at the MG Turret. If that seems suicidal, the other alternative would be to jump back into the water at 1818 and unload the large laser at the helo and the LRMs at the MG turret and try to work my way around the bottom of the board. What do you guys think?
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

If it helps any I'm in a similar bind. I'd like to flame the infantry (or perhaps flush out the other infantry) but I don't want to stand still as a target for the Scorpion at 1217.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

For reference, the Scorpion at 1217 only has an AC/5 and a machinegun (6 points of damage output). Also, if you jump pretty close to it, it'll take minimum range penalties. The Scorpion and Skulker pair at 1519 has 4 medium lasers between them (20 points damage output), making them more of a threat.
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I guess I just need to sack up - I'll jump to 1619 and hit the Scorpion in 1519 with the large laser and 2 medium lasers. If it survives, I'll kick it, otherwise I'll kick the skulker.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I hate to be the first one to hold things up but I didn't get my move in this morning before work and I can't see the map from work. Even worse; today is the day I have to be at a late meeting an hour away from home. I might be able to send something in or I might have to wait until tomorrow before work.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gbasden wrote:I guess I just need to sack up - I'll jump to 1619 and hit the Scorpion in 1519 with the large laser and 2 medium lasers. If it survives, I'll kick it, otherwise I'll kick the skulker.
If it matters I am also shooting at that Scorpion (and at the other Scorpion down the road as well).
Black Lives Matter.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

El Guapo wrote:
gbasden wrote:I guess I just need to sack up - I'll jump to 1619 and hit the Scorpion in 1519 with the large laser and 2 medium lasers. If it survives, I'll kick it, otherwise I'll kick the skulker.
If it matters I am also shooting at that Scorpion (and at the other Scorpion down the road as well).
Oh, right. Gah!

OK, I'll large laser the attack helo and use two medium lasers at the scorpion to help it along.

I need about 10 more heat sinks. :/
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Sorry all.

Stand still. Large laser at the tank in 718, flammer and both small lasers at the infantry at 1218. If I can not target the tank I'll use the laser on the vehicle at 1217.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Madmarcus wrote:Sorry all.

Stand still. Large laser at the tank in 718, flammer and both small lasers at the infantry at 1218. If I can not target the tank I'll use the laser on the vehicle at 1217.
Are you sure? You're going to get pounded pretty hard and the infantry will be pretty safe from the Saracen in the building.
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

This is where not being able to see the images at work is killing me. When I looked this morning I thought that I would be hidden from most vehicles. I was making the assumption that the AI would target the Maxim and not me. If the tank at 718 targets me I would get pounded. I don't like making people wait longer but I won't be able to see the map until at least 1:45.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

As it stands currently, pretty much every mobile enemy unit has LOS on you:
The Saracen will be shooting at you at 11+ (LRM10), 7+ (3x SRM2)
The infantry in front of you will be shooting at you at 6+ (~9 damage if they hit)
The Skulker will be shooting at you at 9+ (medium laser)

As it turns out, the Scorpions have better odds on gbasden, so they'll be shooting at him instead.

Also, your flamer is at 9+ to hit on the infantry (4 gunnery, + 4 long range, +1 target movement 3-4 hexes). Large laser vs the Saracen hits on 6+ (4 base, +1 target movement, +1 secondary target)

So, it's not as bad as I initially thought, but it's still pretty risky.

Would it help if I hosted the images on dropbox or something other than imgur?
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Infantry does 9 damage? That seems high against a gigantic war machine. What are they firing?

Side question: can we just step on infantry?
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote:Infantry does 9 damage? That seems high against a gigantic war machine. What are they firing?

Side question: can we just step on infantry?
These guys are equipped with Farshot LRM Launchers and auto-rifles. The damage is .504 damage per trooper :confusion-shrug: . That squad is down to 18 guys, so it's about 9 damage. There's some arcane formula for determining infantry damage, but I'm just having leaving it to Megamek to compute.

You can definitely step on them. As it turns out though, they don't just all file under your mech's foot, so you'll be dealing kick damage / 10 (x2 because these are mechanized infantry and x2 because they're out in the open currently).
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote:[ As it turns out though, they don't just all file under your mech's foot
Rude.
Black Lives Matter.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Thanks for the offer of switching the hosting. Work blocks dropbox and google drive also. I can get to Flickr but can't log in so I don't know if I could see things from there. BTW, on my phone I basically can't read the heights or hex numbers.

If I jump to 1215 (N of a building and SSW of the helo) can the tank S of that building target me? I know that the Scorpion to the SSE can? Even if the tank can fire over the building I think that is a plan. Take the better of the large laser shots - either the helo of the Scorpion to the SSE.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

El Guapo wrote:
NickAragua wrote:[ As it turns out though, they don't just all file under your mech's foot
Rude.
:)
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I'll try cross-posting to Flickr.

[edit]
The tank can't target you, because it's right next to the elevation difference.

Also, Isgrimnur, I apologize, as I didn't see it earlier, but you're unable to target the Saracen - it's at height -1, directly in front of a height 0 hex, so it's completely obscured.
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Turn 3:
Isgrimnur moves along the south side of the hill, managing to avoid getting stuck in the swamp. His quarry, the Saracen, hops out of sight, so he choses to fire at the MG turret, sparing a small laser for the infantry-inhabited building in front of him. He takes some fire from the infantry, but the damage is superficial. The machine gun turret has another barrel jam.

El Guapo heads back up to the top of "vehicle hill", opening up with all his weapons on the Scorpion tanks in LOS. The AC/5 turret draws a bead on him as he's coming up and let's off a salvo. The AC/5 rounds throw off his aim and the only shots he lands are the LRM salvo on the standard Scorpion.

Gbasden jumps to the northern top side of "vehicle hill", reconsidering his landing spot slightly to save a little heat. The helicopter is impossible to hit (14+), so the large laser goes at the center-of-town Scorpion, while medium lasers zap at the ML Scorpion. He avoids the return fire and scores a major hit on the standard Scorpion's treads, basically fusing them to the pavement it's on, then breaches the ML Scorpion's right side armor with a medium laser and follows up with a boot to the Skulker - armor holds, but the crew is knocked around a bit. The ML Scorpion "lowers barrels" and speeds off as fast as possible.

Madmarcus jumps over to the helicopter, but finds himself unable to hit it (14+), so aims the large laser at the Scorpion ML instead. He dodges all incoming fire, including a laser from the Skulker and some SRMs from the helicopter, but misses with the laser.

The Maxim circles around the swamp to the south and opens up on the Saracen and MG Turret. The jump platoon enters one of the target buildings. "Negative on the target. Moving on to next location. We're taking casualties, but still combat effective." They take some fire while searching the building, losing three men, but delivering some punishment in return. Between the jump platoon and the Maxim, the Saracen is pelted with ordnance and loses all motive power. With smoke pouring out, the crew bails.

Raw firing and heat data:
Spoiler:
Weapon Attack Phase
-------------------

Weapons fire for Hover Assault Infantry Johnston Industries Rapid Response Force (Magistracy of Canopus)
    LRM Launcher (FarShot) at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 6, rolls 9 : 9 troopers hit, causing 5 damage.
            12 Armor remaining.

Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to LA.
            12 Armor remaining.

Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 1 damage to CT.
            17 Armor remaining.

Weapons fire for Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Large Laser at Scorpion Light Tank (ML) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 7, rolls 5 : misses

Weapons fire for Hover Assault Infantry Johnston Industries Rapid Response Force #2 (Magistracy of Canopus)
    LRM Launcher (FarShot) at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 7 : misses

Weapons fire for Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (Standard) (1st Octopus Overlords)
    SRM 6 at Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 5, rolls 7 : 5 missile(s) hit (using Right Side table).

Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 2 damage to RR.
            22 Armor remaining.
            Chance for motive system damage. Roll is 14; (w/ +5 bonus)
             Major damage, vehicle immobile.

Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 2 damage to RS (critical).
            18 Armor remaining.
            Critical hit on RS. Roll is 11; Engine destroyed. Immobile.

Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 2 damage to RS.
            16 Armor remaining.

Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 2 damage to FR.
            22 Armor remaining.
            Chance for motive system damage. Roll is 16; (w/ +5 bonus)

Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 2 damage to RS.
            14 Armor remaining.
            Chance for motive system damage. Roll is 15; (w/ +5 bonus)

Machine Gun at Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 9, rolls 11 : hits (using Right Side table) RS
            12 Armor remaining.
            Chance for motive system damage. Roll is 11; (w/ +5 bonus)

Machine Gun at Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 9, rolls 5 : misses

Machine Gun at Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 9, rolls 6 : misses

LRM 5 at Hex 0917 of Building #1389495637 (Collapse); needs 3, rolls 11 : 4 missile(s) hit.

Heavy Standard Building #1389495637 absorbs 4 points of damage.

LRM 5 at Hex 0917 of Building #1389495637 (Collapse); needs 3, rolls 9 : 2 missile(s) hit.

Heavy Standard Building #1389495637 absorbs 2 points of damage.

Weapons fire for Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus)
    LRM 10 at Hex 0719 of Building #1870657576 (Collapse), the shot is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), rolls 7 : 10 missile(s) hit.

Medium Standard Building #1870657576 absorbs 10 points of damage.
            5 damage is passed on to Jump Platoon (LRM) (1st Octopus Overlords).
        Jump Platoon (LRM) (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 1 damage to MEN.
            14 men alive

SRM 2 at Hex 0719 of Building #1870657576 (Collapse), the shot is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), rolls 9 : 2 missile(s) hit.

Medium Standard Building #1870657576 absorbs 4 points of damage.
            2 damage is passed on to Jump Platoon (LRM) (1st Octopus Overlords).
            13 men alive

SRM 2 at Hex 0719 of Building #1870657576 (Collapse), the shot is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), rolls 5 : 2 missile(s) hit.

12 men alive

SRM 2 at Hex 0719 of Building #1870657576 (Collapse), the shot is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), rolls 2 : 2 missile(s) hit.

11 men alive

Weapons fire for Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    AC/5 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 4 : misses

Weapons fire for Jump Platoon (LRM) (1st Octopus Overlords)
    LRM Launcher (FarShot) at Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 5, rolls 11 : 12 troopers hit, causing 6 damage.
        Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 2 damage to FR.
            20 Armor remaining.

Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 2 damage to LS.
            18 Armor remaining.
            Chance for motive system damage. Roll is 10; (w/ +3 bonus)

Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #2 (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 2 damage to FR (critical).
            18 Armor remaining.
            Critical hit on FR. Roll is 3; no effect.

Weapons fire for Scorpion Light Tank (ML) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    Medium Laser at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 7 : hits CT
        Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 5 damage to CT.
            15 Armor remaining.

Medium Laser at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 6 : misses

Machine Gun at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 4 : misses

Weapons fire for Skulker Wheeled Scout Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    Medium Laser at Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 11, rolls 7 : misses

Weapons fire for Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Large Laser at Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 7, rolls 9 : hits (using Rear table) RS
        Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 8 damage to RS.
            3 Armor remaining.
            Chance for motive system damage. Roll is 12; (w/ +1 bonus)

Medium Laser at Scorpion Light Tank (ML) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 8, rolls 9 : hits (using Right Side table) RR
        Scorpion Light Tank (ML) (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 5 damage to RR.
            5 Armor remaining.
            Chance for motive system damage. Roll is 9; (w/ +2 bonus)
             Moderate damage, +2 to driving skill rolls, -1 MP.

Medium Laser at Scorpion Light Tank (ML) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 8, rolls 8 : hits (using Right Side table) RS
        Scorpion Light Tank (ML) (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 5 damage to RS.
            Armor destroyed.
             2 Internal Structure remaining.
            Critical hit on RS. Roll is 6; Crew stunned for 1 turns.

Weapons fire for AC/5 Turret (Triple) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    AC/5 at Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 5 : misses

AC/5 at Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 9 : hits (using Partial cover (horizontal 50%) table) LT
        Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 5 damage to LT.
            10 Armor remaining.

AC/5 at Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 8 : hits (using Partial cover (horizontal 50%) table) CT
        Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 5 damage to CT.
            6 Armor remaining.

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Large Laser at Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 9, rolls 6 : misses

LRM 5 at Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 9, rolls 10 : 3 missile(s) hit (using Rear table).

Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 3 damage to RR (critical).
            7 Armor remaining.
            Critical hit on RR. Roll is 4; no effect.

Medium Laser at Scorpion Light Tank (ML) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 10, rolls 7 : misses

Medium Laser at Scorpion Light Tank (ML) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 10, rolls 7 : misses

Weapons fire for MG Turret (Triple) (Magistracy of Canopus)
    Machine Gun at Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 11, rolls 6 : misses

Machine Gun at Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 11, rolls 7 : misses

Weapons fire for Warrior Attack Helicopter H-7 (Magistracy of Canopus)
    SRM 4 at Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 9 : misses

AC/2 at Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 8, rolls 7 : misses

Weapons fire for Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords)
    PPC at Hex 0917 of Building #1389495637 (Collapse); needs 2, rolls 6 : hits.

Heavy Standard Building #1389495637 absorbs 10 points of damage.
            +Machine Gun jams!

Medium Laser at Hex 0917 of Building #1389495637 (Collapse); needs 4, rolls 10 : hits.

Heavy Standard Building #1389495637 absorbs 5 points of damage.
            No critical hit.

Small Laser at Hex 0915 of Building #1157337806 (Collapse); needs 7, rolls 4 : misses

Physical Attack Phase
-------------------

Physical attacks for Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Kick (Left leg) at Skulker Wheeled Scout Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus); needs 6, rolls 7 : hits (using Right Side table) RS (critical)
        Skulker Wheeled Scout Tank (Standard) (Magistracy of Canopus) takes 13 damage to RS (critical).
            5 Armor remaining.
            Critical hit on RS. Roll is 8; Crew stunned for 1 turns.

Heat Phase
-------------------
Thunderbolt TDR-5SE #2 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 17 heat, sinks 17 heat and is now at 2 heat.
Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 16 heat, sinks 16 heat and is now at 3 heat.
Griffin GRF-1S (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 17 heat, sinks 16 heat and is now at 4 heat.
Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 14 heat, sinks 11 heat and is now at 4 heat.
Lucifer LCF-R20 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

Last one is the "isometric" view. Do you guys prefer that or the flat view?

A lance of enemy hovercraft moves in from the northeast and worries Isgrimnur. The flushed-out infantry run for the brown building and set up there. The only remaining active vehicle within the base is the Skulker, and the crew is still trying to recover from the concussions delivered by gbasden's boot. El Guapo's center torso armor is looking a little thin (5 points left). The helicopter has a little trouble controlling its flight path and winds up much further from the center of the action than intended. Well, at least he didn't crash into any buildings.

"This is search and rescue, moving on to 1017. ETA, 20 seconds (two turns). If you guys could have those machine guns quieted down by the time we get there, that'd be great."

As a note, the ML Scorpion's armor is breached. Since it's following "forced withdrawal" rules, it won't fire at you guys any more unless fired upon first. The immobile ones are also "weapons down".
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I like the isometric for easier LOS determination.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If I jump to 0915, I should be able to engage the turret with everything but the PPC, yes? If I need a space of separation for the LRMs, will 0717 work?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Could I see the MG turret from 1218? I can't tell if it's higher than the building next to it. Also, does the infantry have a harder time hitting with those LRMs if you close adjacent, or do the auto rifles do the same damage?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Isgrimnur wrote:If I jump to 0915, I should be able to engage the turret with everything but the PPC, yes? If I need a space of separation for the LRMs, will 0717 work?
"Minimum range" just means it's harder to hit your target at +1 per hex inside minimum range. So if you're firing your PPC at something two hexes away, that's a +1 (min range 3). Firing LRMs at something two hexes away is a whopping +4 (6 minimum range). You'll be looking at 4 with the PPC (4 + 3 for jumping + 1 for min range - 4 for immobile target). Pretty good odds.

Jumping to 0915 is one of those "go big or go home" moves. It's a building with a CF of 49, which is just 4 points more than your mech's 45 ton weight. The CF reaches 44, that building collapses. The bad part: you'd take damage from the collapsing building and from falling. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 points from the collapse and 10 points from the fall. Also, you'll wind up on the ground. The good part: the infantry will die instantaneously. You'd be able to kick the building while standing on top of it.

0717 is a much less risky move but also works.
gbasden wrote:Could I see the MG turret from 1218? I can't tell if it's higher than the building next to it. Also, does the infantry have a harder time hitting with those LRMs if you close adjacent, or do the auto rifles do the same damage?
Yes, you can target the MG turret from 1218. Infantry LRMs (these ones, anyway) don't have a minimum range, they have the same range brackets as a medium laser.

The MG building has 13 CF left and then it's rubble, so you guys should try not to overkill it too much.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I couldn't read the tiny numbers on the phone. Jump to 0916 was the intent.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Isgrimnur wrote:I couldn't read the tiny numbers on the phone. Jump to 0916 was the intent.
Awww. Would have been pretty awesome, though. If you're targeting an adjacent building, you auto-hit.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

As much fun as stomping a building to death is, I've got a squad of enemies coming in on my six, so I'd rather keep as much damage as I can for that inevitable fight.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Has the building in 1216 taken any damage? If I jumped next to it and lasered it/kicked it, would I do anything appreciable besides take a brace of missiles to the face? I'm lacking good flaming weapons. I guess I could death from above as you noted, but that seems a bit reckless.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Nope, it's completely intact, and has 84 CF. So, you could collapse it if you jumped on it and kicked it (and had someone else shoot it as well, your kick would only do 13 damage and you can't attack your own hex).

Based on my recent observations and reading of the rules, the way attacks against infantry in *buildings* work is you apply normal weapon damage to the building, then pass some percentage, rounded down, of the damage done onto the infantry inside. 1216 is a heavy building so that's 25%. If you fully unload on it, expect to kill ten or so dudes, but then you'll overheat pretty badly. Realistically, you'll probably get 5 or 6.
Black Lives Matter