[TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ydejin

Re: [TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Post by ydejin »

Live TV includes commercials, and select shows have promotional interruptions.
Ugh. Well it makes sense to show commercials when watching live on the air, although I suppose they could replace commercials with dead space.

We'll have to see what promotional interruptions look like. I know HBO always insists on sticking 3-4 minutes of HBO ads in front of their streams and I’m always annoyed. I’m assuming this will be something similar.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I hope it's that. Commercials at the start of the show are much less disruptive, IMO, than interstitials. Especially when I'm paying for the service.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Zaxxon wrote:I hope it's that. Commercials at the start of the show are much less disruptive, IMO, than interstitials. Especially when I'm paying for the service.
+1
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Kasey Chang wrote:
Spoiler:
* What's with all the Klingon dialogue? I thought the jokes about "with cotton balls in their mouths" was just a joke, but it's actually absolutely true. I enjoy the "authentic" Klingon (probably with help from KLI and Marc Okrand, but really, can't they dub that?
Spoiler:
It's not even so much the language itself, as we've seen much of it featured before. No, this is more on the prosthetics and the awkward pronounciations that come from them. To me, it's an inportant technical issue as it effectively neuters them and robs them of much of their personality. These Klingons are very low-energy, more like lumbering Gorn-like beasts.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I read an article today that said to be patient when it comes to things that seem to contradict or bend Star Trek canon. Apparently they have a story arc they're promising will clear things up eventually. I have my doubts, but as I said, I enjoyed it. I'll wait and see.
He won. Period.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

ydejin wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:I hope it's that. Commercials at the start of the show are much less disruptive, IMO, than interstitials. Especially when I'm paying for the service.
+1
I got fed up with Hulu's commercials when they would sometimes show me the same damn one over and over (and over) in a show. F that.
-mf
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Zaxxon wrote:Yes, I'm sure: https://cbsi.secure.force.com/CBSi/View ... 000000Ptab

'Commercial Free' is the CBS version of the mobile carriers' 'Unlimited.'
Weird, we pay for the commercial free plan, watch something on their app every night and I've never seen a commercial. Hopefully it stays that way.

We only get 60-90 minutes a night to watch TV - I'm not going to spend 1/3 of that time watching commercials if I can get rid of them for $0.16 a day. :P

*I checked the link and the only place I see anything about commercials is when watching Live TV.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

MonkeyFinger wrote:
ydejin wrote:
+1
I got fed up with Hulu's commercials when they would sometimes show me the same damn one over and over (and over) in a show. F that.
That's definitely part of it, but for me I've just gotten spoiled by 'golden age of TV' stuff like... not being pulled out of the show every 7 minutes. I can deal with it when it's a free OTA recording I'm watching, but if I'm paying you for the service? GTFO with that bullshit.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Exodor wrote:*I checked the link and the only place I see anything about commercials is when watching Live TV.
Read the whole asterisk regarding live shows:
*** Live TV includes commercials, and select shows have promotional interruptions.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote:I read an article today that said to be patient when it comes to things that seem to contradict or bend Star Trek canon. Apparently they have a story arc they're promising will clear things up eventually. I have my doubts, but as I said, I enjoyed it. I'll wait and see.

Patience won't help the Klingons ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It did with the Klingon switch up from TOS to the movies. They eventually explained it all via a pretty darn good Enterprise episode...although it was also explained in earlier Star Trek shows as the Klingon Empire being more like Rome, in that they absorbed other cultures and then made them fight on their front lines in their stead.

The article I read seemed to indicate that they were going to flesh it out by explaining that the Klingon houses were also based on other worlds, hence differing physical aspects. But I'm just assuming that's where they're going to go from reading into the article.

Of course, this may all be wishful thinking on my part as I really do want my old Klingons back, dagnabit.

What does bolster my faith that they'll make this all work is the early involvement of Bryan Fuller. I'm hoping they kept some of his direction and vision before he left the show. The man is one of the best television writers working.
He won. Period.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Kasey Chang wrote:Just finished. General reaction so far:
Spoiler:
* For a Vulcan-trained human since a little child, Michael is surprisingly emotional, but I guess 7 years out of influence of Vulcans can do that.

> Perhaps Vulcan’s are just different than humans. I know according to the histories, Vulcans were even more emotional than humans before they changed their philosophies. But I think if you took a human child and tried to get them to show no emotions, you’d probably just end up with a messed up child instead of a disciplined one.

* What's with all the Klingon dialogue? I thought the jokes about "with cotton balls in their mouths" was just a joke, but it's actually absolutely true. I enjoy the "authentic" Klingon (probably with help from KLI and Marc Okrand, but really, can't they dub that?

> Yeah, it was just awful.

* "I am trying to save all of you." OMG, that's some God complex right there. AND in the end, she failed. While I kinda enjoy the way they setup the character, making this a part of her origin story AND an outcast... Very risky move. I don't know if it will pay off or not. I can see she's being viewed with suspicion by everyone. She's diverted from penal colony and took on as a crewman on Discovery, and I guess she'll eventually be promoted back after some acts of heorism.

> I suspect Discovery is some kind a prison ship. If you look at the saucer design, it’s got a very strange multi-ring design. Structurally that wouldn’t make any sense at all for a warship. But it could make sense as a prison, as you would limit access to and from the cell blocks. No idea why you would want to put prisoners on a ship instead of on a planet though, seems like an unneeded expense.

* There are NO security teams on Shenzhou, so it's down to the captain and first officer to be a boarding party? Really?

> Bringing down Captain and First Officer, admittedly makes no sense, but it is classic TOS, except minus the Red Shirts. Come on Captain Georgiou, you’re an experienced captain, you always bring along Red Shirts.

* And why did Michael fire a kill shot on T'Kuvma? It looks like the rest of the shots on the guards are stun? Or did anger got her again?

> Good question

* Why don't they take T'Kuvma's body? What's with the stupid "I must retrieve you now"? WTF?!

> Also good question. Didn’t they end up evacuating the USS Shenzou right afterwards? They showed lifepods blasting out of some Federation ship right at the end. Maybe the ship was failing.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote:It did with the Klingon switch up from TOS to the movies.
Yes, but that's moving forward, this is before all of that. They're not just looking different here. They're an entirely different animal and they're effectively neuteured. I'd love to see them explain why the Klingons look and behave so differently, but I doubt we'll see it happened as it's more of an internal technical issue. And besides, outsiders ;) It would be such a big leap to explain the major differences.

Here's a theory: They're really Targs. Eventually through the timeline, they devolve into the pets the Klingons like to have on their ships. :P
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: but I doubt we'll see it happened as it's more of an internal technical stylistic issue choice.
I think that's more the case.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

If that's truly the case, then I don't buy them, and many don't either from what I've seen.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Not sure if you're under the mistaken belief that I liked them, or just making a general statement. :?

In summary: I don't like them. I hope they explain them though.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I know. I just really doubt they'll explain them. At the pace they're taking this series, it doesn't seem to me like it leaves a lot of room for exploration or explanation.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think it's way too early to determine the pace of the show, though. We're only two episodes in. I did like the fan service they paid to the Klingon history (Kahless, the houses, the language...muddled as it were), mentioning the Prime Directive, the emphasis that Starfleet members are first and foremost explorers, etc.. I know I'm never getting DS9 or even TOS again, but I'm just hoping they don't crap all over the extensive history of the franchise.
He won. Period.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My pet theory about the Klingons
Spoiler:
* Some of the Houses left, and after death of T'Kuvma, there will be both an external war... AND civil war. And a couple houses will be wiped out.

* What then happens is other houses will be created to fill their place, which allows "new blood" to join the elite...

* The result of infusion of "new blood" will radically change the appearance of the "typical" Klingon in the year to come.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

In some ways it is, some ways it isn't. Some have commented how slow the first two episodes are, but it's nothing like the pace some of the other Treks are like. This series is fashioned with JJTrek stylings and sensibility, which is rather rapid-fire. Those first two episodes set that tone and it definitely feels that way. Already feels less cerebral.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

hepcat wrote:I read an article today that said to be patient when it comes to things that seem to contradict or bend Star Trek canon. Apparently they have a story arc they're promising will clear things up eventually. I have my doubts, but as I said, I enjoyed it. I'll wait and see.
Maybe later you'll find out that it is a simulation in the holodeck. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote:In some ways it is, some ways it isn't. Some have commented how slow the first two episodes are, but it's nothing like the pace some of the other Treks are like. This series is fashioned with JJTrek stylings and sensibility, which is rather rapid-fire. Those first two episodes set that tone and it definitely feels that way. Already feels less cerebral.
To be fair, there's a lot of classic Trek that wasn't exactly cerebral. Across all iterations.
He won. Period.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Rumpy wrote:In some ways it is, some ways it isn't. Some have commented how slow the first two episodes are, but it's nothing like the pace some of the other Treks are like. This series is fashioned with JJTrek stylings and sensibility, which is rather rapid-fire. Those first two episodes set that tone and it definitely feels that way. Already feels less cerebral.
The TrekYards review was not merciful. The pacing of the episodes are just... weird. Sometimes fast, sometimes slow. In the middle of a battle, there's a weird pause, then another battle.
Spoiler:
* A philosophical discussion: why are we fighting? in the middle of a battle between the helmsman and Michael, then POOF! the guy's gone.

* There is no reverse thrusters on that heavy cruiser? What's so important in the bow of the ship that warrants self-destruct?

* Shenzhou sits around disabled, and NOTHING happens...
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote:
To be fair, there's a lot of classic Trek that wasn't exactly cerebral. Across all iterations.

True, but I say that more out of the pacing than the actual cerebralness (is that even a word?). The pacing seems to allow for less downtime.

Ahh well, probably pointless to talk about it until we get to see more of it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Victoria Raverna wrote:
Maybe later you'll find out that it is a simulation in the holodeck. :)
The hologram episodes in TNG were my absolute least favorite episodes. I've been watching the series again after completing my blu ray set, and I've just been skipping those entirely.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

TNG started off pretty slow. As the characters developed and the stories become more ambitious the show improved dramatically. Unfortunately there are just too many shows competing for my time and I only watch what people who did the hard work recommend. I'll catch back with this one after the first season or two.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Reactions to ep3

Tense, but the way the trailer depicted it was a total fakeout.
Spoiler:
* Why no nerve pinch during the fight?
* Discovery with a captain willing to do ANYTHING to win the war... Dang, this is even darker than DS9, it seems.
* Captain with a very different definition of risk... no more kinder and gentler captain around
* Black alert... that's interesting
* That interesting drive... Something went wrong, as all the bodies are distorted and twisted like funhouse mirror. Dang. Surprised the ship's still one piece.
* Where did that kitty kitty come from?
* Did Lorca really teleported Burnham to all those places and back? Or is it more like pocket universe or portal? Because physically it makes no sense for Burnham to still be able to hear Lorca.
* WTF is that kitty doing onboard the ship?!
Two crazy fan theories
Spoiler:
A. This is a section 31 ship. The guard in front of that room with phaser rifle... was he wearing a BLACK Starfleet badge?

B. This is actually the mirror universe... ?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I'm leaning towards
Spoiler:
it's section 31...or at least the genesis of that group
I liked episode 3. As I've said repeatedly, I'm fully aware I'm not getting MY Star Trek any time soon, but at least this one isn't crapping all over its memory...yet.

The overall mystery and just what the hell Captain Lorca is up to is a good start to a story arc. It doesn't hurt that I'm a fan of Jason Isaacs.

I'm still having trouble accepting that Burnham was raised along side Spock for at least a few years, and that she was never mentioned before in any way, shape or form. But then I remember that Spock very rarely divulged much about his home life, and that Michael would probably have gone off to Star Fleet while Spock was pretty young.

I'm on board still. It's not done anything I find terribly egregious with the franchise. And Sonequa Martin-Green is really quite good in her role.
He won. Period.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

hepcat wrote:Yeah, I'm leaning towards

I liked episode 3. As I've said repeatedly, I'm fully aware I'm not getting MY Star Trek any time soon, but at least this one isn't crapping all over its memory...yet.
I liked Episodes 1 and 2 a lot. I'm more mixed on Episode 3. I thought it was good TV, it felt more like Aliens than Trek though. Although after thinking about it, I can remember a fair number of TOS episodes with horror themes. The Devil in the Dark, The Man Trap, Redjac, and Catspaw (originally a Halloween episode) all had elements of horror. I'm sure non-TOS shows did as well, although TOS is the only series I've watched so many times I've got episodes completely memorized.
hepcat wrote:I'm still having trouble accepting that Burnham was raised along side Spock for at least a few years, and that she was never mentioned before in any way, shape or form. But then I remember that Spock very rarely divulged much about his home life, and that Michael would probably have gone off to Star Fleet while Spock was pretty young.
Someone on a podcast I heard pointed out that we didn't hear about Spock's father until he showed up on Journey to Babel and we didn't find out about betrothed until she shows up in Amok Time. Then they mentioned that we didn't know about Spock's brother until he showed up and I was all "What! Spock had a brother?" And I looked it up, and he apparently showed up in Star Trek V (which is one of two movies I haven't seen, the other being Insurrection).

So if Spock has some half-brother he's never talked about in three seasons and four movies of TOS, I don't particularly see why he can't have a foster sister he's never talked about.
hepcat wrote:I'm on board still. It's not done anything I find terribly egregious with the franchise. And Sonequa Martin-Green is really quite good in her role.
I'm enjoying it. It's very enjoyable TV. I haven't decided if it's enjoyable Star Trek. Certainly if we had stayed on the USS Shenzhou with Captain Georgiou I'd be feeling like we had a proper Star Trek series. I'm not sure I like my Federation ships to have half of their officers acting like jerks. So hopefully they'll be heading in a more optimistic by the end of the season. We'll have to see how the characters develop.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spock never mentioned his distant relative until he had to play him, either.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think the issue with the less than enthusiastic crew members is that they were culled from science vessels and research stations. They're probably not used to the more buttoned down aspects of Star Fleet. And Lorca strikes me as more of a General Patton than a Captain Kirk. Well...Patton if he had less scruples (from what we've seen so far).

I'd like to see more on the penal system in Star Fleet, to be honest. My biggest gripe in this last episode was
Spoiler:
the reveal that they were being put into forced labor essentially. That struck me as very UNStar Fleet like. But then again, it was 6 months into a brutal war, so who knows what concessions were being made.
Now, bring on the Andorians and the Tellarites. They've mentioned them.

Also, I would like you to erase all memory of Star Trek V from your mind. It's for the best.

"What does God need with a starship?"

"TO GET THE HELL AWAY FROM THIS MOVIE!"
He won. Period.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I dont see an issue with the whole "Spock had a foster sister he didnt talk about" stuff. Its not like Vulcans are gregarious to begin with and they rarely if ever talk about family or friends without a specific and logical need to impart that information. If anyone from the original crew had family that they didnt talk about, Spock is the most obvious candidate. Not discussing family is actually a major part of his character and history.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Which is why I pointed that out in my post. :wink:
He won. Period.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

hepcat wrote:I'd like to see more on the penal system in Star Fleet, to be honest. My biggest gripe in this last episode was
Spoiler:
the reveal that they were being put into forced labor essentially. That struck me as very UNStar Fleet like. But then again, it was 6 months into a brutal war, so who knows what concessions were being made.
According to Memory Alpha there was a reform of the Federation Penal Colonies which took place from the late 2240s and in to the 2260s. DSC Episode 3 takes place in 2256 so roughly midway through the reforming period.
Memory Alpha wrote:Typically, a sentence to a penal colony differed from normal incarceration by charging the inmate to perform a service or labor. ... In the mid-23rd century, the penal systems of the United Federation of Planets shifted focus from incarceration and punishment to humane rehabilitation, made possible by new technologies and drug therapies.
hepcat wrote:Also, I would like you to erase all memory of Star Trek V from your mind. It's for the best.
:D
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Spock took a lot of sordid secrets to the grave. One in particular may never be fully explored:
Spoiler:
Fact: Mind-melds are how Hortas get pregnant. The result of Spock's encounter is a new super-smart species called a Vorta that will achieve interstellar space flight and interbreed with the Crystaline Entity.

The more you know!
Last edited by Jeff V on Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Excellent catch, ydejin! That would certainly explain the scene in question.
Jeff V wrote:Spock took a lot of sordid secrets to the grave. One in particular may never be fully explored:
Spoiler:
Fact: Mind-melds are how Hortas get pregnant. The result of Spock's encounter is a new super-smart species called a Vorta that will achieve interstellar space flight and interbreed with the Crystaline Entity.

The more you know!
Cripes, Jeff. Do you REALLY need to post your fan fiction in any thread that even mentions Star Trek? I still remember that series of episodes you wrote that featured a young, good looking ensign named Jeff Vee. In every episode he would end up wrestling someone while half naked.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I guess my main problem with this show now is that instead of a Star Trek feel, it's giving me more of a generic sci-fi feel. In that sense, it's not ticking off the boxes that I want when watching Trek. Trek is like a familiar comfort food. You keep coming back to it because you know exactly what you're getting out of it. But this new Trek, is a bit like when a company decides to go and revamp said food into an "new and improved" version, which sometimes is a departure and never tastes the same. That's kind of what I feel here.

It's fine if they want an Event Horizon or Alien. But it's not that same comfort food. It doesn't leave me feeling satisfied and it makes it harder for me to accept as a Trek series. I guess that's why I'm thankful we also have The Orville giving us more of that familiar feel.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Conversely, the Orville made me long for actual Star Trek even more. Discovery feels closer to Star Trek (to me) than a show with Norm McDonald as a horny gelatinous cube with a penchant for women outside his species, Seth McFarlane making constant 20th century pop culture references and a bridge crew that feels like it was written for one of JeffV's fan fiction episodes. It's Quark without the charm. :P :wink:
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, I think The Orville is slowly starting to come into its own. Fourth episode was the best yet, right down to a very Trek-like reveal at the end. It was also slightly more serious.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti