Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen (PC/Steam)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Victoria Raverna

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen (PC/Steam)

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Surprised that I can't find Dragon's Dogma thread in PC Games forum.

I'm starting to play the game. For experience players, any tip or advice for beginner?

Also anyone that played the Steam version has good main pawn that I can borrow?
Jag

Re: Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen (PC/Steam)

Post by Jag »

Played it awhile back and enjoyed it. I don't have it installed and my pawns weren't that great. You can find some really good pawns though.

I'd probably just google some starting hints and tricks. The game has a massive fan base.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm just finally getting around to this from the Summer sale and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I'm still figuring things out, but the game is taking me back to the days of being repeatedly punished in Gothic 2 (not a bad thing) as you walk around and explore. Still learning the ropes, but I like what I see so far.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah this game can be HARD. There are no guard rails. You will constantly run into things that will kick your butt. Our OO brethren have some very useful puns hiding out there in the cloud.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, I saw a whole bunch of OO pawns, but they were so high level, I was afraid that by taking them I'd be cheating somehow or losing out on XP. I also missed the point where the pawns you hire don't level - so the one guy that started with me was at level 6 and I was dying as a level 12 player (likely) because he couldn't really help me. It was only when I went into the rift and then hired out a pawn closer to my level that I finally was able to start moving forward. Huge difference. There was also some choice gear waiting for me at the city - half the problem was that I was wearing stuff that was seemingly fit for a peasant fighter. No matter where I went, I just couldn't find gear that was any good - until I checked in at the city. But getting to the city? That was a fun run (with the cart).
Eightball

Post by Eightball »

Smoove_B wrote:Yes, I saw a whole bunch of OO pawns, but they were so high level, I was afraid that by taking them I'd be cheating somehow or losing out on XP. I also missed the point where the pawns you hire don't level - so the one guy that started with me was at level 6 and I was dying as a level 12 player (likely) because he couldn't really help me. It was only when I went into the rift and then hired out a pawn closer to my level that I finally was able to start moving forward. Huge difference. There was also some choice gear waiting for me at the city - half the problem was that I was wearing stuff that was seemingly fit for a peasant fighter. No matter where I went, I just couldn't find gear that was any good - until I checked in at the city. But getting to the city? That was a fun run (with the cart).
I actually love this game. Played it on the Xbox, then when they released it on the PC, played it on this. There's no issue with using high level pawns, and basically as you use them, they acquire more and more crystals for their owners, so there's literally no downside in using them. Feel free to use the most powerful you can.

You can min max the crap out of your characters (different vocations grow attack, defense, health, and stamina at different rates), but feel free to level multiple classes as they unlock different augments that you can use regardless of what vocation you end up playing. For example, I thought Warrior was really boring, but it has an Augment called Clout that increases your strength by 20%. That's freaking powerful. So I would level up Warrior to unlock that, and then use that for whatever melee character I'd play.

It always ended up being an Assassin or Ranger. Bow + ability to scramble up enemies and chop them to shreds with daggers never got old.
Stupid & lazy
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's the first game that I can honestly say really brings me back to the early days of discovering (and eventually loving) Gothic 2. Now that I know that about the OOers pawns, I'll grab some, thanks. I'm currently playing as a Fighter with my own personal pawn as a Strider. I was using the Rift stone to find Mages and Sorcerers to round out my party and so far, so good (now that I've been doing that).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ok, so even with Hepcat's level 39 sorcerer, I was still getting my ass handed to me for a while doing some of those quests. Now that I'm around level 24 or so, things are better - though I just had an absurd battle with dire wolves and an ogre. I was going to change my class, but I've come to really enjoy shield bashing the hell out of everything, so for now I'll stick with the sword and board tactics. I did come across a random pawn while walking on a main road and she was all about healing (which I'm sorely missing), so she's the final addition to my party.

I think the pawn banter (based on what they know) is my favorite part of this game so far - between providing extra insight during a fight or giving guidance/directions while we're on the map, it's a really interesting feature of the game. I haven't been doing too many secondary quests, just mainly sticking to the story and slowly moving forward. I think my only complaint so far is the great distances you need to cover that invariably leave you in the dark (and using your lanterns). Maybe there are places I can camp off the beaten path that I haven't discovered yet, but being able to rest "on the road" in a safe area until the sun comes up would be nice option. It's not a deal killer by any means, but in terms of my preference it's not to be heading out into the wilds under the cover of darkness.

I am also thankful for the teleportation stones which I've been using to return to the main city and from what I understand, they weren't always in the game. I can imagine how laborious it was to run from a finished quest all the way back home to report it. Why not use a pigeon?

Still really enjoying the hell out of this game. It's not perfect by any means, but it's been quite enjoyable.
Eightball

Post by Eightball »

Yeah it's really fun, and they put a lot of places to explore. Lots of weird bits to it, too...and it changes drastically as you'll see after one point. Kinda crazy..it's like a Newgame+...but then they actually have a full Newgame+, oh and there's also that dungeon area called Bitterblack which is a whole other mess!
Stupid & lazy
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am at the "changes drastically" portion of the game, as mentioned - did not see that coming. I really enjoyed the entire experience.Thanks to Hepcat, Jag, AWS260 and ultra lurker Fafhrd for your pawns. They absolutely helped me get as far as I am now. Hopefully the next wave of OOers can use my pawn to help them. :D
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Have the game, haven't touched it. How does one use someone else's pawns?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

All will be revealed when you start playing. The game actually goes out of the way to give you access to the pawns of the people you're friended with on STEAM that own the game.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Uh, Smoove? Will you be my friend? *Sniff*
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think I just found you on STEAM, so link up. It's definitely nice to have a group of friends that have already played so you can hire out their pawns. :D
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm enjoying this so far. I wish the crafting was less tedious since I know I'm going to pick everything up anyway.

I would like to support OO friends (and perhaps get some more options of pawns to look for) so feel free to sent a friend request if you are still playing. Particularly if you want a 25 or so level warrior/fighter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wow, didn’t realize my pawns were being used by folks. I need to go back and finish the game one of these days. It’s one of my favorites, but I’ve been on a console kick for the last year.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote:Wow, didn’t realize my pawns were being used by folks. I need to go back and finish the game one of these days. It’s one of my favorites, but I’ve been on a console kick for the last year.
They actually re-released this for PS4 with HD textures and 4K support (I think). I am not sure if there is a difference between the new PS4 version and the PC version (does anyone know)?
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I don't know whose pawns I'm using but I have used some from OO friends. I did move away from most of them though; I'm only level 30 and I'd prefer to use pawns of similar level.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I don't know whose pawns I'm using but I have used some from OO friends. I did move away from most of them though; I'm only level 30 and I'd prefer to use pawns of similar level.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My pawns would be easy to spot. They all look broken down by life.
Covfefe!
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Mostly the ones I've seen are fairly generic female adventures in appearance. The exception is Royko; a short, round male mage.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm guessing I'll probably be triple-dipping (Xbox, PS4, PC) on this when it comes out on PS4.

Playing it along with everyone else on launch when everyone's pawns are being used a lot is really pretty awesome. It's not nearly as cool when you try and jump into it a year after the fact though.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Skinypupy wrote:I'm guessing I'll probably be triple-dipping (Xbox, PS4, PC) on this when it comes out on PS4.

Playing it along with everyone else on launch when everyone's pawns are being used a lot is really pretty awesome. It's not nearly as cool when you try and jump into it a year after the fact though.
Just FYI, it is already out for PS4.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Madmarcus wrote:I'm only level 30 and I'd prefer to use pawns of similar level.
I had that same thought for a while...and then the game started routinely cleaning my clock. Even with two pawns that were 15+ levels higher than I was, the big fights were still no joke. Plus, the pawns do offer help in other ways. This isn't really like a traditional party-based RPG (IMHO) where having higher level party members ever felt like I was "cheating" or somehow doing something wrong. It's actually such a cool feature that I can't say I ever thought would work, but it does.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

baelthazar wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:I'm guessing I'll probably be triple-dipping (Xbox, PS4, PC) on this when it comes out on PS4.

Just FYI, it is already out for PS4.
Well...then maybe I won't be playing it on launch. I really don't have time for another game right now.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Or maybe I'll have absolutely no willpower, stick Divinity 2 on the back burner, and dive headlong into this on PS4. :horse:

I'm really hoping this will be the version that finally wrinkled out all the bugs. I hit a game breaking bug 20 hours in during my initial Xbox attempt, and the pawn system was completely broken for the first couple weeks after launch on PC (which I didn't realize until I got about 6 hours into it. Gave up in frustration and didn't go back.) Keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes well, as I really do enjoy this game. It just kinda throws everything at the wall, and somehow it all just...works.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ARISE!!

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen came out on Switch this week. Even though I've bought it on three other platforms already, I have to admit that the portability factor is awfully tempting here. I've never actually finished it, but am thinking this may end up like Skyrim. That's a game I played on two previous platforms, and the portable one ended up being the one that I actually got all the way through (as much as one does with Skyrim, anyways).

I may end up quadruple-dipping on this one. :oops:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I don't know why Capcom can never seem to figure this game out at launch. Started playing last night, and the pawn servers have been down all day today. You can recruit pawns, but it won't sync for you to get rewards if anyone used yours. Similar thing happened when it was released on PC, and on PS4.

Bah.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'll likely quad dip on this one as well, but as I just bought the system and a ton of other things so it will wait a bit. From the sounds of the servers it's probably a good idea. :lol: So far with my one week of the switch it's doing something that I always wished the Vita would do. It's getting me to sit on the couch and just really enjoy what I'm playing. That never really fully clicked on the vita for some reason. I played A TON of Zelda the last two days and it was glorious.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Yeah, I can’t even connect to anything now and the game just tells me I’m playing in “offline mode”. At least I got a “cannot connect” message before.

It’s a mess...give it a few days to get sorted.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Switch servers finally came back up last night.

My rose colored glasses had forgotten just how janky this game actually is. I was doing one of the main story missions last night (the one where you go below the Pawns Guild in Gran Soren when suddenly my Mage pawn simply...disappeared. I heard her calling for help, and saw that she was somehow clear on the other side of the map, in a spot that was entirely inaccessible to me. I'm assuming that she fell through some scenery or something, because I don't think there'd be any way for her to get there otherwise. Had to start the mission over.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Just bought the Switch version last night as well. Any of you have pawns to post?
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Is there cross play from switch to PC with the pawns?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Cortilian wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:35 am Is there cross play from switch to PC with the pawns?
Not that I know of.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

ARISE!

I continue to be surprised at how much I enjoyed this game and it was just announced a sequel
Hideaki Itsuno, the director of the original Dragon's Dogma, announced the sequel at the end of the 10 Years of Dragon's Dogma livestream today. Besides learning that it the new game is being developed on the RE Engine, we received no further information about the game besides a logo on a shirt worn by Itsuno.
I guess when something official is announced it'll be time to start a new thread, but I figured I'd post here for the bump so people can add it to their list of games to pick up during the next STEAM sale...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's like they're listening to me! :lol:

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Great game. I look forward to the next one.
Black Lives Matter