PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Post by Paingod »

I've crashed once, when moving from the lobby to the map, and reconnected to find myself standing next to the Shelter with another guy who had disconnected. I got to practice my headshot punch on him.

While it's disappointing that the game wouldn't run, at least you made it out before the refund time expired. Perhaps somewhere down the road they'll release it and it'll be polished enough to not break down on you?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It seems it's his network connection which isn't a typical connection. So I wouldn't be surprised to never see it fixed.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

50 Fails (YouTube) - Much laughter
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Freyland wrote:Just an FYI, I refunded yesterday. Never could solve the problem within my means, and using my hotspot for reliable gaming is just.. no. Sad, was certainly interested, and was hoping to meet Goo. Goo, if you are ever hankering to start a MP game of SoTS, let me know!
Sorry to hear we couldn't figure out a fix for you.

Chances are I'm done with SoTS forever. I put in hundreds of hours and I think that's all Ive got. Thanks for the offer though. Maybe our paths will cross with another game in the future.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Another middling night last night.

I like the Farm, and I like the Jail/Construction site for initial drops. I've tried being around other people and find I'm simply dead before I can enjoy the hunt. I prefer to have maybe one other person to deal with and then moving on. I completely get that the only way I'll get better at gunfights is by having them but I'm not interested in gunfights as much as I am in stalking and sneaking, I guess.

My 'best' round last night was started in the Construction Site - I scored a Scar-L and AR Silencer in the Construction Site, but pretty much nothing of value in the Jail except a couple of Medkits and Energy Drinks. Then I spent a long time whipping around in the Buggy as zones closed in. If people saw me, no one shot at me. With three 'crunches' left, I set up shop in a building that had a good view and waited. It didn't take long for someone to drive up in a Darcia (sp?) and get out to investigate the barn I had looted. The Scar-L is a beautiful thing on full-auto when fully kitted. A quick "bambambambam" later, he was dead from a full-auto headshot. He never saw me. I was upstairs in an adjacent building, sitting on a table - and he was on the ground floor about 25m away looking at a pile of crap I had purged. When the zone pushed again, I had to move out and started crawling across the grass - only to be killed by a Scar-L; someone coming down a kill who could see me clearly - the grass only works if they're level with you.

I don't understand why people run around naked in this game. The person that killed me was wearing nothing but a Utility Belt, L2 Backpack, and L3 Helmet. They didn't even bother to check my body, despite having ample time... I mean, don't you get more carrying capacity for every clothing item you add?
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The mansion treated me well the one time I dropped there.

My wife has decided that she likes playing the game as a survival horror game. No weapons, no gear, just live as long as you can. And seeing as she's posted two top 10 finishes, it must be working for her.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote:The mansion treated me well the one time I dropped there.
Yup. The Construction Site, Farm, and Ruins are along the same lines. I've hit the Mansion a few times and liked it. Enough loot to modestly outfit 2 or 3 people, with one or two higher level items almost guaranteed. Because of that, clusters of people tend not to flock there.
Isgrimnur wrote:My wife has decided that she likes playing the game as a survival horror game. No weapons, no gear, just live as long as you can. And seeing as she's posted two top 10 finishes, it must be working for her.
Something I do like is that the "guide to success" that most people chase doesn't have to apply for the game to be fun. I'm not enjoying the game as a shooter. I'm enjoying the game as a loot hunt, survival game. I enjoy the tension of staying alive, out of sight, and occasionally catching someone with their pants down. I don't care for punch fights, landing in a group, or scrambling for a pistol before someone else gets it.
Black Lives Matter

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Played a round last night where the final circle was on military base island. I have very little experience in this area so didn't really know where things were.

I had dropped all the way north in Yasnaya Polyana and found some pretty nice gear, M16 with red dot and Mini 14 with 8x scope, lvl 2 vest / helm, etc.

Found a car and drove all the way to the island where I took up a position on the hills with my back facing the bay in between the islands. I could see the east bridge and watched a couple of people drive across it that were behind me and I also observed a guy on foot to my west. He never stopped moving and I didn't want to reveal my position so I let him be.

I eventually made my way over the wide ridge and started heading down into the base proper. At the perimeter I was spotted and took a hit but was able to duck into some nearby houses. The circle was moving and my attacker was behind me so they had to abandon the fight and get safe.

I moved into the outskirts of the base and was able to use the concrete highway divider walls for good cover to one side. The circle was pretty small and there were firefights to both sides of me so I just lay still and waited. Eventually, I saw another player running in from a hill to my left and I took a couple of shots at him. I connected but he was able to duck into cover. Since I'd given away my position I decided to move in closer. I had the concrete highway divider walls on either side of me and the blue wall was pretty close behind.

As I moved toward the end of my wall cover I heard footsteps to my right. Another player, moving toward the circle showed his back to me from about 20 meters. I was zoomed with my 8x so shooting him was awkward but I hit him a couple of times before he could duck between two cars. I knew he would find me lying prone so I quickly switched to a frag and lobbed one right at his feet while he was beginning to shoot. He saw it and ran but he died tired :) Frag 1, that guy 0

The circle then pushed me right up against the exterior of a large metal building. I could hear a guy running around inside but he had no outside access to me that didn't require him to go through the blue so I felt pretty safe.

I inched to the corner of the building and could hear the guy, essentially on the other side of the wall, inside to my left. I knew there were still people to my right and that was also where the, now very small, circle was so I knew a fight was coming between me and metal building guy, who I'm certain did not know I was there.

I rounded the corner and went prone. On my left was the west wall of the same metal building and it had a few open garage doors. Immediately in front of me was a concrete driveway with about a 1 foot lip. Metal building guy got into a close quarters firefight with another guy even further out that I was not aware of and the outside guy won. I opened fire on him just as he killed the other guy only to see my shots go harmlessly into the lip of the concrete drive. Pro Tip: Be very careful when firing from prone using 3rd person view. You do not have near the angle you think you do.

So this guy saw me shoot the concrete and since I was prone I couldn't aim high enough to hit him. He almost casually killed me.

3rd place.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Sounds eerily similar to a round I had last night.

IIRC, I dropped somewhere north and the circles pushed everyone south - like, where the circle was pushing us, no one could have dropped there - so everyone was moving that way. I ended up taking one Buggy halfway and got banged up by gunfire, then I stopped and looted the Farm and saw another Buggy nearby that was undamaged. I used that one to get to the Ferry Pier where I found a boat and cross to the Military Island, running across the beach (I could have been "that guy to the west") and I looted a couple houses there while biding my time to see where we were going to be pushed again. We were nudged to the western side of the island and I ran over the hills there and took pot shots at a few people - including one guy who drove by in an SUV, another guy that drove by in a Sedan, and someone who was running along the side wall of the base, but ducked back inside the houses and containers after I hit him. I fired at him every time I saw him, but had to abandon that to get pushed further west. I crawled along side a house's walls and almost caught someone looting it, but he escaped behind some trees and ultimately shot me. I think I was 11th.
Black Lives Matter

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Paingod wrote:Sounds eerily similar to a round I had last night.

IIRC, I dropped somewhere north and the circles pushed everyone south - like, where the circle was pushing us, no one could have dropped there - so everyone was moving that way. I ended up taking one Buggy halfway and got banged up by gunfire, then I stopped and looted the Farm and saw another Buggy nearby that was undamaged. I used that one to get to the Ferry Pier where I found a boat and cross to the Military Island, running across the beach (I could have been "that guy to the west") and I looted a couple houses there while biding my time to see where we were going to be pushed again. We were nudged to the western side of the island and I ran over the hills there and took pot shots at a few people - including one guy who drove by in an SUV, another guy that drove by in a Sedan, and someone who was running along the side wall of the base, but ducked back inside the houses and containers after I hit him. I fired at him every time I saw him, but had to abandon that to get pushed further west. I crawled along side a house's walls and almost caught someone looting it, but he escaped behind some trees and ultimately shot me. I think I was 11th.
Here's the part of the map and my notes that apply to my write up above. Would be interesting if that was in fact you I saw.

Enlarge Image
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Oh, goodness no. Our smaller circles were closing us in to the west outside the base.

I've never had a map end inside an area with buildings. That would be very very different.

My run...
Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I got a circle on the military base as well yesterday. Picked off three people before I lost a sniper battle to a kar. I was hitting the crap out of him and he got me with a headshot. Bummer. I was getting too cocky after easily taking out the first 3.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Word to the wise that the one guy didn't follow. Don't hide on the top of a hill with a car. So silly. It's nit like the car got there in it's own. LOL

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Paingod wrote:Oh, goodness no. Our smaller circles were closing us in to the west outside the base.

I've never had a map end inside an area with buildings. That would be very very different.

My run...
Enlarge Image
That's a cool image Paingod, how did you do that?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I started with a full screen shot of the Interactive Map, de-selected all the icon options, then clicked "Flight Path" to add the plane's route and expose the drop zone coverage. Using the Snipping Tool, I cropped out just the map and dropped it into MSPaint. From there I added white circles for where I recall the zones pushing me, then a red line using the curved line tool to indicate my approximate path, and finally text to describe my journey. Took a few minutes, but it was fun.
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ah that's too bad. I was hoping there was some sort of audit program that would track your movements and map them after the game was over.

Still, your map is a very nice map. :D
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

No such luck. :lol: but that would be pretty awesome. I'm afraid a tool like that wouldn't show me doing much most rounds.
Black Lives Matter

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Is there anyone following this thread that is interested in team play that isn't currently joining us?

I just want to make sure I keep putting out that everyone is welcome and your skill level really (seriously) doesn't matter.

Team play with this has been some of the most enjoyable MP stuff I've done in awhile and I wouldn't want anyone sitting out that has an interest for whatever reason.

If you need a link to the discord info. we can easily post it again--this app is super easy to install and use and it's pretty clutch even if for some reason you can only listen.

1. I'll make sure I watch the circle for everyone
2. Octavious promises not to drive
3. Super polite GreenGoo will give you the loot off his back, even if it means he will use a machete.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Hit a few rocks here and there and now I have a rep. Green flew us off a cliff into the ocean! :P I only killed myself once last night driving! :mrgreen:

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

As I recall I flipped us multiple times on the motorcycle so, there's that too.

:horse:
Last edited by Redfive on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm down to group, but my availability is sporadic. I've got a lab due this weekend, and a group paper due the week after, so school comes first. If you see me on after 10p Central, it's probably the wife.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

In my defense, it was a channel between islands.

I've tried to hit people with a machete. I wasn't any good with that either.

I'm with red. While I often find the game frustrating when playing solo, it's the exact opposite in a team. I really would love if more people joined. It's a great time and more people mean more engaging encounters.

Also, my obvious deficiencies are less obvious in team play. :oops:

For the record, if I thought I could put the loot to better use, I would share less, but it has become clear that I'm the worst shot of the 3 of us, so I'm perfectly happy to give up a scope or our first AR or whatever.

Loot is plentiful enough to know I'll get something I can use soon enough.

Sometimes Oct says he wants something, but I say no. :D
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well I try to take everything. I need to be told no lol.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Octavious wrote:Georgopol - This is all assuming we're looking at the map oriented like the maps online.

https://pubgmap.io/erangel.html#3/-127.00/127.00

Just south of the leftmost bridge is a line from left to right 6 buildings. It's just north of 3 apartment buildings and west of the container drop of doom. Red and I were fully kitted out in insane gear each time. The spot never fails unless someone gets there first.
I've gotten some good gear in this area - but it's no secret. In all but one attempt at looting this place, I've had to contend with other people - with about a 50/50 success. I die if we land at the same time, I win if I find them scooping up piles of loot and catch them giddily sorting it out. People do travel here from across the map, expecting to find L3 Helmets and AR Suppressors. If you don't go early, don't go at all.

Last night the primest example was getting there late - I drove in using a Sedan and parked it safely behind some walls and hiked up by foot. When I got there, I saw an open door. Damn. Then I heard footsteps. Yay! I ducked inside the nearest 'loot rich' building there, grabbed an M416A, and quietly stalked the other player as they passed house to house. When they got to the end, they came out the back like I figured they would and leaped off the balcony, right into a hail of bullets. I was then ready to go.

That actually started my best round - ending in 5th place with 5 kills. 2 of them were stalker kills, 1 was a gun battle, and 2 were vehicular homicide. I spent the bulk of that round driving and being free like an eagle, only stopping to swap cars or if I ran out of gas. One kill was on someone that thought they might surprise me after I parked; I had simply run off to get a good position to look for people looking for me. When he didn't see me, he hopped in my SUV and slammed down the gas pedal - but the engine was dead and out of fuel. Taptaptap. +1 kill. The gun battle took place near a farmhouse. I was cruising in a Buggy and failed to run someone down that was running through a field with a Scar-L. He almost killed me, but I parked behind the house, healed up, and we duked it out. Single-shots won over Full-Auto. As the circle tightened, I hopped into a fresh Buggy and drove literal circles around the inside of it, hunting for anyone that I could ... *bump* ... +1 Kill. Huh. That bush was a little crunchy. I never even saw him. Off in the distance, I hear a gun battle playing out. I race over, turbo boost blasting, and see someone in a pitched fight. I don't see his target - but his luck held out and he scored a kill before I pinned him to the tree. The round ended with my dying outside the last zone crunch, desperately trying to crawl to safety, refusing to stand up. Just after I died, someone spotted me and bullets ricocheted off the pan I had on my ass. Then a grenade hit my corpse. Then more gunfire. He was determined to shoot at me until he saw a death message. I called it a night.

Death of the Night
I started up in Yasnana Polyana, in my favorite little Construction Site loot spot, east of the town. I left with a VSS and AKM. I took way too long running through the Jail, too, and the first zone crunch pushed me into the apartments just west of me, where I heard someone running around upstairs. I spent faaaar too long hunting for him quietly, with that blue wall actually sitting in the stairwell as a grim reminder. In the end, I actually couldn't find them. I can only imagine they did something silly like leaping from the roof. I felt okay as the countdown continued, though, as there was an SUV parked just outside town and I hadn't heard anyone run off with it. With seconds to spare, I ran for it and was met with a hail of bullets as someone who had been camping on the 'safe' side of the SUV started shooting at me. I managed to kill with 20% of my life left and jumped in the SUV with no time to spare. It didn't budge. The tires on his side were flat and it wasn't going anywhere. He had camped there as a suicide mission, apparently. Cursing myself, I stopped and looted his First Aid kit, using it to heal myself as the blue wall washed over me. Damn. I then spent the next several minutes running directly for safety with the wall well ahead of me, only stopping to chew through my 25 Bandages and 2 Energy Drinks. Somewhere in the middle of a wheat field, I started taking fire from behind. Another straggler. I immediately went prone and switched to the VSS. A grenade landed far enough away that it didn't kill me, but did ding me. As I scanned the horizon, I saw him in the same field, scanning frantically for me. I held right-click to 3rd person aim the VSS and pulled the trigger. Click. I hadn't reloaded when I picked it up! Reload, fire. He spun around wildly and dropped dead without ever knowing where I was. I ran over and looted him and found just another 5 bandages. Crap. I ran, and ran, and ran. Scanning the horizon for vehicles. The zone crunched again before I could even get to the place of the last border. Dammit! I stopped and consumed all of the remaining bandages in one swoop. I ran and ran. Ahead, I see a motorcycle. I die 50m away from it, and still hundreds of meters outside of safety. An anti-climatic end to an otherwise solid run.

Because GreenGoo liked the last one... :D
Enlarge Image
Last edited by Paingod on Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Had a few good rounds, best run was 3rd place that I easily could of won or at least got second if I wasn't an idiot. I knew there was a guy in a ditch so I figured I'd jump in and take him out instead of waiting for him to come out. I ended up landing right on top of him. So that didn't end well. I had to just laugh at my stupidity.

And yes that spot isn't a secret, but I would say it's the safest high draw spot I know of except for maybe the powerplant. Powerplant takes a long time to loot and you usually are in a bad spot for the circle. My fav. is if the plane is going bottom left to top right. I jump early north and just find a car and book it over there. You will see a bunch of people doing that, but they are heading for the containers. Since you have a car the circle is easy to catch up with when you are done.

My biggest problem is overlooting. I will clear out the first 3 and be totally stocked up and yet I still try and go look for more if I have time. This usually is when I end up dead. I'm working on my loot addiction. One step at a time.

I certainly would like to hit up a group this weekend. I'm getting a bit bored with the solo as there's always the random deaths and terrible luck. Squads seems a bit safer and the firefights are more fun.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I haven't been on the computer much this week but I should be around this weekend.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Octavious wrote:My biggest problem is overlooting. I will clear out the first 3 and be totally stocked up and yet I still try and go look for more if I have time. This usually is when I end up dead. I'm working on my loot addiction. One step at a time.
Yup. According to my stats, I've played 106 games and picked up 489 weapons. Now, I'm at a point where I pick up the first gun I find until I find a better one, and then upgrade that when I see an opportunity. I'd like to say I was trying to find my sweet spot. In reality I'm just all over the place.

I've been known to keep hunting for stuff even after I've got 4 First Aid Kits, 15 Bandages, 3 Painkillers, 4 Energy Drinks, 4 Grenades, and 200+ rounds of ammo for my M16A4 with a 4x Scope with a Scar-L in reserve. I just feel compelled. It's a hard urge to fight. I could be running from the blue wall and fully kitted and see a closed door house and be like "I got time" ...
Octavious wrote:I would say it's the safest high draw spot I know of except for maybe the powerplant. Powerplant takes a long time to loot and you usually are in a bad spot for the circle.
I have yet to explore the Power Plant. I'll try and stop in there the next time the plane doesn't fly right over it.

So far, my favorite place to land that has a good chance at a L3 item is the farm. At most I've had one other person there, and since it's such a singular spot (one good building), it's not something most people go out of their way to hit - but starting with a nice scope, armor, helm, or gun can make a big difference through the whole round.
Black Lives Matter

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Anyone up for squad later tonight?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I should be around. I have to go pickup the kiddo at 9 and then I'll be back. If I'm not on I got dragged into a movie. :lol:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, I should be on sometime in the next hour or so.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I'm going to watch a movie. Might be on super late, but don't wait for me.

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

GreenGoo wrote:Yeah, I should be on sometime in the next hour or so.
I'll be on in just a bit..I'll hop in Discord when I'm good to go.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, I'm on discord. Gonna play some moo4 while I wait.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

New discord invite link.

OO discord server
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Here we go:

Enlarge Image

GreenGoo and me.

First duo win.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Congrats guys. Nice we could get some groups together last night even though we got killed pretty quick.

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

So.....
I got the impression from my exhaustive research that a VPN might be the solution to my dilemma, so I re-bought the game. I'm certainly stuck with it, because your 2 hours do not restart when your re-buy a game. In any case, using the VPN has created a different error for me, and I'm still researching it. But, I did log on 4 times tonight using my phone hotspot, which worked adequately, I guess. The first 3 games I was in the top 50's, the 4th game I actually made it to #10, in what I think was the final circle, before being killed by someone I never saw. I actually killed someone in that game too.
When I got to what I presume was the final circle, what was my best plan of action? I parked near a tree, tried to look for dudes. It was a relatively wide open area, tall grass.
I don't have a strong impression for the game yet. It really seemed kind of dull playing race the circle, and the only Contacts I made were shortly after landing, and in the final circle. I hate not knowing what I am carrying, as far as stats and use are concerned, but that would come with time I'm sure.
Oh, also, tell me about the crates that fall from the sky... weapons? Something for your out of game inventory? Kittens? Murderers want to know.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mouse hover over your inventory weapons will pull up a bar graph of their stats.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:34 am Mouse hover over your inventory weapons will pull up a bar graph of their stats.
Certainly, although that is somewhat challenging to spend any time with due to fear of being plugged while in the inventory screen. I'm particularly ignorant of mods for the guns, as I just slap on whatever Im told will fit the unit I am holding. Really, though, what I wish I knew better was how different guns "felt" when being fired, but I don't want to give away my position with test fire! It will come with time.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Holy crao I'm a ninja in Battlefield 1 now. This game is like a super trainer.