[tv / HULU] The Orville .......Seth MacFarlane

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: [tv] The Orville .......Seth MacFarlane

Post by Jeff V »

Smoove_B wrote:
Rip wrote:I'm still in so far, but if I hear him ask the super girl to open the pickle jar one more time I may explode.
There's going to be a literal jar of pickles she can't open in the season finale that will lead to a crisis.
Or worse...she opens a jar of kryptonite-infused Claussen's.
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

The jar of pickles line is standard Seth. The guy always seems to pound a joke into oblivion and it's one of the reasons Im not much of a fan. When he tossed off that line once again, I just shrugged and said the dipshit just can't help himself, can he?
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

rshetts2 wrote:The jar of pickles line is standard Seth. The guy always seems to pound a joke into oblivion and it's one of the reasons Im not much of a fan. When he tossed off that line once again, I just shrugged and said the dipshit just can't help himself, can he?
He really needs an editor/director that he'll listen to. He has a lot of talent but too much creative control and not quite enough talent to warrant it. Nearly everything he does could have been great except for...[always something]. There are some great episodes of Family Guy, but even that is hit-or-miss. I keep hoping he hits a home run because he seems capable of it, but never gets beyond the warning track.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Due to a download malfunction I watched EP5 before EP4. And I must say, EP5 is VERY Star Trek.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

rshetts2 wrote:The jar of pickles line is standard Seth. The guy always seems to pound a joke into oblivion and it's one of the reasons Im not much of a fan. When he tossed off that line once again, I just shrugged and said the dipshit just can't help himself, can he?
Yeah, but how is this different than real life? I say the same lines and use the same phrases all of the time, and I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone that doesn't. I actually found it pretty organic and natural.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Jag

Post by Jag »

Hell, the latest Curb episode was the Pickle Jar Gambit. :D
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

hentzau wrote:
Yeah, but how is this different than real life? I say the same lines and use the same phrases all of the time, and I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone that doesn't. I actually found it pretty organic and natural.
I also wouldn't be surprised if this was a multi-episode setup for a gag where someone snaps at him for using the same one-liner all the time.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

wonderpug wrote:
hentzau wrote:
I also wouldn't be surprised if this was a multi-episode setup for a gag where someone snaps at him for using the same one-liner all the time.
No, there's going to be an alien artifact that's key to saving the Orville or solving the episode's quest, and it'll be stored in A GIANT JAR OF PICKLES!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hentzau wrote:
We understand the you Ruritanians have a limited grasp on the English language and are prone to repetition -- we've been meaning to get you an English phrasebook to help you with that.

Seriously though, it's different when you find yourself saying the same thing generally to different groups of people maybe a few times over the course of a year is different than an hour-per-week exposure when people are paying closer attention. That so many people roll their eyes when Seth does this is indicative of something abnormal.

Years ago when I ran a restaurant, a woman clearly lacking a complete set of marbles would come in every day and tell the same story of her life. After awhile, the other customers, kind of fed up with her, would repeat the story in unison as she said it. Somehow I can imagine Seth doddering away like this in his dotage. Sure, old people might tell the same stories over and over during the course of time, but unless they are suffering from a mental impairment, these stories generally don't recycle so quickly.
Black Lives Matter
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Isgrimnur wrote:Watched the first two episodes last night and I enjoyed them. The juxtaposition of modern slang onto ‘the future’ is a bit of an adjustment, but trying to fake it would be even more jarring.

I laugh at some of the jokes, and they seem to flow with the characters just fine, it’s just several centuries of time that make it seem odd to me. But imagine if there was a modern setting show that was using 17th century humo(u)r...
I agree completely with the bold part. It was exactly the same with A Million Ways to Die in the West. He was the only one that spoke normally, everyone else had either a twang or used "western jargon." It's like he's the only one that realizes he's actually in a show. Everyone else is playing a character, but he has to go along with it because he knows he's being filmed. That's the sign of either a creative genius or a really shitty actor.

I will say, however, that I watched that movie when I was already in a good mood, and my dad and brother and I nearly ruptured something laughing. We had to rewind several scenes just to watch the shock value stuff.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I get the feeling that Seth knows certain things annoy people and throws them in his work anyway just to amuse himself. Family Guy is chock full of that. I don't really fault him for it - if he's not having fun then what's the point? It rarely grates with me. Just comes off as more of a "Oh Seth, you rascal, you!" feeling. :wub:
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Smoove_B wrote:Except for that entire episode where she had to act as captain. Or the last episode where she was conflicted about conducting a B&E to gain evidence. But yeah, one dimensional. :wink:
Or when she was shot and left for dead.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

YellowKing wrote:I get the feeling that Seth knows certain things annoy people and throws them in his work anyway just to amuse himself. Family Guy is chock full of that. I don't really fault him for it - if he's not having fun then what's the point? It rarely grates with me. Just comes off as more of a "Oh Seth, you rascal, you!" feeling. :wub:
+1 and when it works it's gold.
Ipicac and mom,mom,mommy, mom are to of the best sequences ever.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kryden in the episode 4 opening was hilarious.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just watched EP4, and I agree, this is Star Trek with a dose of extra humor. I find it quite a good complement to the dark and gritty world of Discovery.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

The "Krill" episode was tonight and had to groan a few times at the cavalier way they spoke to the crew they had "infiltrated" and the Avis and Hertz bits. I did laugh at the worship service when they invoked a name I don't recall, much like the "Mila Kunis" line from his A Million Ways to Die in the West movie. And I do have to admit that their language "was like reading a Bret Easton Ellis novel" joke went completely over my head, so had to Google him up. But still enjoying the very Star Trek-y vibe / homage they are doing! :D

Ah... "Katniss Everdeen".
Last edited by MonkeyFinger on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
-mf
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I thought this latest episode was pretty bad. The whole idea of sneaking in (using the captain no less) was idiotic. And practically everything they did on the ship was dumb. I know most of it was trying to go for laughs, but it wasn't great. I think this may have been my least favorite episode so far...
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Counterpoint: I really liked the episode. :wink:
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Yes, this was such a tonal shift from the previous episodes that I'm beginning to believe they don't know what they are trying to accomplish.

Their speech and attitude destroyed the seriousness of their situation, yet the setting/scenes (i.e. stabbing the human head) would imply they should be f#$king scared to be suspected.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They know absolutely nothing about the Krill...except how to speak their language fluently.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I enjoyed the episode and chuckled a few times. I thought feeding Bortus random things as they were learning new facts about his race was probably exactly how it would go in real life. But generally speaking, learning about the Krill while they fumbled around the ship like idiots was entertaining. I guess my bar is low. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m treating it like a comedy at this point. That makes it more enjoyable.
Covfefe!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Finally watched the first 5 episodes today and i really enjoyed it more than I thought I would. So I'm hooked for the season.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Watching Pria now. Very predictable again. Captain is acting like an idiot and first officer a worry wart. But Id tend to be on her side in this.

Jar of pickles getting old. Why does he even try?
Spoiler:
Ok why are dark matter storms NOT known about at all? And why can a miner instantly pilot a Union ship with ease and better than the 'greatest' helmsman ever? Still watching to see who she is. WAIT going to a base she suggests??? IDIOT. And Issac...ya saw that coming .Actually I expected worse.Anyone notice his leg was missing just above the knee but the fake leg was way up on the thigh? Ok its over. I was thinking who is to say she is a time traveler as she is the only one who said that. Maybe the worm hole just went across the galaxy. But nope guess she really was. On the one hand she was doing a good thing as instead of death she gave them life in the future and saved the timeline. I might would have gone with her. Also why destroy the worm hole? Go to the future and get cool stuff. Gotta admit taking a breath in New York and exhaling in Paris would be awesome.
Oh and the end...
Spoiler:
Why did destroying the wormhole make her poof? She was already here it should simply strand her in their time.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

They overplayed the Avis jokes, as MacFarlane often does, and it bugs me that these 23rd-century people are so conversant in a minor 20th century ad campaign, but anachronisms are also part of MacFarlane's schtick. Some of the one-off gags made me laugh, though, like trying to cross his arms in that suit of armor, and the "that's a brand new leg!" line. Leaving questionable humor aside, it was another Star Trekky story, and I rather liked the ominous ending.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I thought Id seen the Doctor on a show before but just could not place her. Now I know...its Cassidy Yates from Deep Space 9!!

http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/best-t ... pactfooter

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Brian

Post by Brian »

She was also the Captain in the later seasons of Castle.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Rip

Post by Rip »

I'm growing suspicious that Seth is one of us or a lurker.

No way he dropped decimated in the Krill episode by coincidence.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

She was also a president's wife on 24, I think.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just started watching the last ep. Will we ever see a big powerful Union ship you think? All we get are Krill being tickled by The Orville's weaponry..or lack of same. And why oh why does he just sit still and trade shots with a battle cruiser?? Move Seth move you fool!

As per usual Ill be editing this post as I watch and spoiler it. Also they seem to have a nice budget for this show. Im always impressed by The Oriville.
Spoiler:
Ok theres a bigger ship. Hope we see it fight. Oh God they are the worst uncover I can imagine. they both say the most stupid things and the most human stuff. I just want to yell "SHUT THE HELL UP!" I mean can the captain talk any more stilted and can Archie..i still call him that...say anything more stupid and tons of it??
I thought this was going to be a really fun episode but instead Im nervous for them and they just keep talking stupid and talking stupid and talking and talking. Its kinda awful. I need to look at it as comedy but Im not able to. In their quarters they are talking aloud and have no idea it could be bugged. they dont have a scanner to scan for people in the chapel or anywhere yet they have a page scanner for pics or whatever.
Spoiler:
Its dawned on me they wont get caught and killed in the ep and this is not STTNG where like Picard would be tortured so Im enjoying it more now. OMG the moron told them right where Earth is!! SLAPS FOREHEAD
Spoiler:
Numbnuts..take the knife out and put it to the captains neck. Sigh.
Rating - Disappointing. 3 of 10.

And wow they made Kelley Hu appear old.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Agreed, EP6's comedy is getting a bit too slapstick. At least they put a serious sober ending on it: there is no "right" choice.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Renewed
The decision comes seven episodes into The Orville‘s 13-episode first season. Because of the show’s elaborate production and post-production, including visual effects, The Orville had been intended for a limited season, and the early renewal will give it a head start on Season 2 whose exact length is TBD.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'm fine with that. I like the counterbalance between The Orville and grittier sci-fi I like like The Expanse.
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:54 pm I'm fine with that. I like the counterbalance between The Orville and grittier sci-fi I like like The Expanse.
I've watched the first Expanse DVD (three episodes? four?) and am having a hard time getting into it, mainly because none of the characters are sympathetic. I like the complex relationships between factions, even if they're sometimes hard to follow, and I especially appreciate the level of realism. I'll keep watching at least through the end of the first season on the assumption that it will eventually all click into place...but it hasn't grabbed me yet.

Very much the opposite of The Orville and Star Trek, though. More like Blade Runner In Space.

I'm glad Orville will be back. It's fun escapism. I do hope that it eventually takes itself a little more seriously, but I'm enjoying it for what it is.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:02 pm
pr0ner wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:54 pm I'm fine with that. I like the counterbalance between The Orville and grittier sci-fi I like like The Expanse.
I've watched the first Expanse DVD (three episodes? four?) and am having a hard time getting into it, mainly because none of the characters are sympathetic. I like the complex relationships between factions, even if they're sometimes hard to follow, and I especially appreciate the level of realism. I'll keep watching at least through the end of the first season on the assumption that it will eventually all click into place...but it hasn't grabbed me yet.

Very much the opposite of The Orville and Star Trek, though. More like Blade Runner In Space.

I'm glad Orville will be back. It's fun escapism. I do hope that it eventually takes itself a little more seriously, but I'm enjoying it for what it is.
Definitely give The Expanse the whole first season. It is a bit slow in starting, as the story doesn't really kick into gear until after "CQB" (ep 4).
Hodor.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:32 pm Renewed
The decision comes seven episodes into The Orville‘s 13-episode first season. Because of the show’s elaborate production and post-production, including visual effects, The Orville had been intended for a limited season, and the early renewal will give it a head start on Season 2 whose exact length is TBD.
Excellent! We just finished up episode 6 "The Krill," and the kids and I are still digging it (my wife, a big Star Trek fan, fell asleep). It's fun as long as you don't take it too seriously. It's definitely not Star Trek in the sense that McFarlane and crew don't even appear to be trying to make stuff make sense. But I enjoy the sci-fi setting and the humor, and I see potential for how it might take shape over time. Glad they're getting another season.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'm still enjoying the show but the plot lines of a couple of episodes have clearly been heavily influenced from other shows. For instance, the premise of the culture in last week's episode was almost a direct rip-off from a episode in Black Mirror. Hopefully McFarlane et al. start producing more original stories.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:22 pm

Definitely give The Expanse the whole first season. It is a bit slow in starting, as the story doesn't really kick into gear until after "CQB" (ep 4).
The Expanse definitely takes a little while before things start kicking into gear. But when they do, it's pretty damn good.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:42 pm
pr0ner wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:22 pm

The Expanse definitely takes a little while before things start kicking into gear. But when they do, it's pretty damn good.
I'm sticking to it because of its reputation, and because I like hard sf. Wife has fallen asleep twice, though, so she might be a lost cause. The Expanse might end up as one of "my stories" -- like all superhero movies, something I only watch when she's not home.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:38 pm I'm sticking to it because of its reputation, and because I like hard sf. Wife has fallen asleep twice, though, so she might be a lost cause. The Expanse might end up as one of "my stories" -- like all superhero movies, something I only watch when she's not home.
You could always just read the books ;)