Nintendo Switch = NX

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

wonderpug

Re: Nintendo Switch = NX

Post by wonderpug »

Chaz wrote:Just having a console that I can ... suspend instantly mid-game is fantastic.
This, tied with the instantaneous boot-up time, makes it so easy to sneak in quick Zelda sessions when I find a bit of spare time.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Kurth wrote:Any further thoughts/impressions from those with Switches? Anyone playing anything other than Zelda?
Zelda really is great. I didn't care for any of the past 3D Zeldas but I am loving this. They also released a patch that seems to have fixed a lot of the framerate issues. It's still not perfect but I'm not getting the really bad random drops anymore.

Snipperclips is also a lot of fun. This really shows off the strength of the Switch in my opinion. A fun two player game that you can play anywhere with just the basic system.

So far, I'm pretty happy with the console but at the same time, I don't think there is any reason to rush out and buy it right now, especially if you have a WiiU. Zelda is the main selling point and from all reports, it's just as good on the WiiU as the Switch.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Yes it is excellent on the Wii u. Best game for me personally since Skyrim. I passed on the switch because I own a Wii u but I presume by two years from now I will own a switch.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Best co-op game to play on a plane with two players using joycons? I was thinking Shovel Knight. Any other thoughts?

We're flying from Portland, OR to Jacksonville, FL through JFK next Thursday, and it's going to be a long slog (leaving at 10:30 at night, getting in to Jax at 10:30 the next morning). Looking for something to keep the kids busy for parts of the flight.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Snipperclips would be great if they're old enough to figure out the puzzles. Fast RMX is great. Bomberman might also work.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Kurth wrote:Best co-op game to play on a plane with two players using joycons? I was thinking Shovel Knight. Any other thoughts?
Definitely SnipperClips. This has been a big hit with my friends.
CatsNeverDie

Post by CatsNeverDie »

I was sold on it the first time I saw their announcement video last year. Especially the section with Skyrim on it. But I still don't see it as a primary gaming device. I am waiting for a price drop and or someone to sell it after playing Zelda. :P
How to find out which life the cat is on?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Well, I now have one very happy 9 year old. His birthday was yesterday, and he was convinced he'd have to wait a month or so before stores started restocking the Switch before he could get his. He was thrilled when he opened his last present and it was a Switch!

We also picked up Zelda, Shovel Knight and 1-2 Switch. I really tried to steer him away from 1-2 Switch because I heard it was only so-so, but that's actually the game he and his brother and sister have been playing with the most. Watching them do the quick draw gunfighter game is hilarious. I still think 1-2 Switch should have been a pack-in with the console, but it is a lot of fun.

One question: Anyone having trouble getting the JoyCon grips with the wrist straps on and off? Seems like it requires too much force, even when I'm pressing down the unlock button.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Kurth wrote: One question: Anyone having trouble getting the JoyCon grips with the wrist straps on and off? Seems like it requires too much force, even when I'm pressing down the unlock button.
Don't push down, pull out the little pulley things. Also, make sure you line up the symbols, they are reversible so it's possible to put them on wrong.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Also keep in mind the Joy-Cons slide in and out of the strap thingies from the opposite direction they slide into/outo everything else.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I was using one of those Joy-Cons last night playing snipperclips with my son. I'm not sure I've ever held a more uncomfortable controller in my life. And I'm an old Intellivision player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

hentzau wrote:I was using one of those Joy-Cons last night playing snipperclips with my son. I'm not sure I've ever held a more uncomfortable controller in my life. And I'm an old Intellivision player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No argument here, although the shoulder extenders do help a little. Make sure you use those if you play with just the Joy-Cons.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Have fun with voice chat:

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

So I've been meaning to check back in on this thread. I've successfully held off on getting a Switch. I still want one. Is it time? Are the remote issues resolved? Virtual Console stuff working properly? Is the game selection not terrible?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Switch releases this week:

Switch
GoNNER

hmmm, OK maybe last week...

Switch
Astro Duel Deluxe

OK, let's go back one more week.

Switch
Disgaea 5 Complete
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers

The library is building.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Isgrimnur wrote:Have fun with voice chat:

Enlarge Image
As ridiculous as it looks, this is almost exactly how I wire my Xbox One headset through my Astro Mixamp. I do think it's ridiculous that a cell phone has to be part of the equation.
Zaxxon wrote:So I've been meaning to check back in on this thread. I've successfully held off on getting a Switch. I still want one. Is it time? Are the remote issues resolved? Virtual Console stuff working properly? Is the game selection not terrible?
I'm still loving mine. It just finished entertaining me for two 6 hour flights this week. If I had had different seat neighbors, in a few seconds I could have set it up in kickstand mode and gotten some 2-3 player Mario Kart going on the plane.

I didn't have any issues with my JoyCons, thankfully, but from what I've heard Nintendo has been pretty quick at replacing units for those who have. Don't know how things are with newly produced units.

Virtual Console still isn't out, unfortunately. Now that 8bitdo controllers can be used with the Switch, I'm chomping at the bit to play some SNES classics with mine.

It's already pretty fun to use the controller with 8/16-bit style games like Shovel Knight or the Blaster Master remake.

Game selection is getting better all the time. Arms is out next week and is looking fantastic. Next month we get Splatoon. If it was going to be someone's sole gaming console and they had way more free time than I do, I'd say it's too light on content, but if you still have an XB1/PS4/PC it's got plenty of content for an additional platform to own. Personally, I already have a Switch backlog.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Thanks.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Whelp, my wife gave me the go-ahead for Father's Day, and a little birdie hooked me up with availability. My red/blue Switch, extra JoyCon, Zelda, and Mario Kart should be here Friday.

As Mario would say, woohoo!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This just in: the Switch is pretty neat. Breath of the Wild is even neater.

If I had a complaint, it'd be that the Joy-Cons are seemingly designed for 8-year old girl hands. Held alone, or even in the Nintendo wheel accessory for Mario Kart, they're just painfully small for me when held for more than 20 minutes or so. And while I don't have Trump hands, I don't have particularly large ones.

When inserted into the packed-in frame, it's fine, though. And overall it's not impacting my enjoyment of the console.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

You gotta spring for the Pro Controller. Other than its high cost, it's a fantastic traditional controller.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

wonderpug wrote:You gotta spring for the Pro Controller. Other than its high cost, it's a fantastic traditional controller.
And you can charge it in a non-obtuse way!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Question:

I know the Switch isn't backwards compatible with Wii/Wii U discs. However, are the digital versions of those games playable on the Switch?
Hodor.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

pr0ner wrote:Question:

I know the Switch isn't backwards compatible with Wii/Wii U discs. However, are the digital versions of those games playable on the Switch?
Not yet. They have yet to unveil whatever the Switch's version of the Virtual Console is going to look like.

For Wii U games it looks like you're going to see a lot of re-releases/remasters coming out as full new games. For example, there's a Switch version of Lego City Undercover, Mario Kart 8, and Splatoon is coming next month. The latter two have some upgraded features but for the most part I gather they're largely the same as the Wii U versions.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

wonderpug wrote:
pr0ner wrote:Question:

Not yet. They have yet to unveil whatever the Switch's version of the Virtual Console is going to look like.

For Wii U games it looks like you're going to see a lot of re-releases/remasters coming out as full new games. For example, there's a Switch version of Lego City Undercover, Mario Kart 8, and Splatoon is coming next month. The latter two have some upgraded features but for the most part I gather they're largely the same as the Wii U versions.
Thanks.

The main reason I'm bummed I never got a Wii U was missing out on Bayonetta 2. If there were some way to play it on the Switch (and other Wii U titles), I'd be tempted to get one (plus for games like Super Mario Odyssey), but it's tough to buy the Switch right now otherwise.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

There's a 100% chance that we'll get that on some level. Just a question of when and how.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Anyone grab the Breath of the Wild DLC yet? Reviews are generally positive and I want the map tracker, so I may bite.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zaxxon wrote:Anyone grab the Breath of the Wild DLC yet? Reviews are generally positive and I want the map tracker, so I may bite.
My kids got it and have been enjoying it.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I grabbed it today, mainly for the Hero's Path feature for now. Interestingly, the DLC is about zero bytes. The bits must have been included in the recent patch to all owners of the base game, or be included in the core cart.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I don't think we have anyone here still looking for a Switch, but just in case... I'm at my local Target and they have two in stock. Black and a red/blue. Happy to buy and ship if someone is looking...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

wonderpug wrote:The Joy-Con connectivity thing is the only legitimate gripe at this point. I'm leaving my worrying about it on pause until I get it in my hands this Friday and see if A) it's actually a problem for me, and B) if Nintendo says at that point if/how/when it'll be fixed.
Whelp, my Switch was purchased in late June from NOA HQ stock, and I just sent a Joy-Con back to Nintendo for replacement for this periodic connectivity issue. So it's still happening on new units. Hopefully I was just an unlucky one and it's not prevalent.
morlac

Post by morlac »

I have made the Switch! I was down and stressed about work (went back to old company/long story) so the wife said go buy yourself a present. Gamestop by work had them in stock so boom. Was not even on my radar nor was any other console but there I was :).

I spent $540 total for:

Grey Switch
Screen protector
Pro Contoller
Lego City Undercover
Zelda
Splatton 2

That was prolly a little more than she was expecting but she should have given me better parameters. I almost got a PS pro but then would have needed a new 4k TV. That would have been 2 presents as I told her in my justification :)

Random thoughts:

Only played about 2-3 hours so far. My 8 YO Daughter loves Splatton and is way better than me already. The controls leave me mystified with the motioney stuff but she took right to it. I'm old!

Lego Undercover is freaking awesome. I lol about 6 times in the first ten minutes. I love it!

Zelda: No idea yet.

I was really worried about there being enough games but I found plenty I want and more coming out. On my buy list:

Mario Kart: Its Mario kart, must have.

Disega 5 : Not 100% sold on this one but I need some strategy and it looks good, reviews were solid.

Skyrim : It's portable, I can play in bed, on the toilet, in the car, on my porch. Plus you can't mod (I think?!?) so chances are I might actually finish it.

Super MArio Odessy : Not my thing but it sounds cool and Daughter will love it.

Stardew Valley : Perfect couch chill game

Minecraft Switch : For Daughter but ill fiddle with it.

Fire Emblem Warriors : Dynasty Warriors esque. Sure sounds fun!

Has Been Hero: good chance I buy this today.

That should hold me over until next year.

It's a cool little system and so far I love it way more than I ever thought I would. Any other suggestions I may have missed?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

morlac wrote:I have made the Switch!
Congrats!
Any other suggestions I may have missed?
Play Zelda! It's awesome!
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

I'm having fun with Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. It's basically a Mariofied XCom tactical game with some light adventuring in between.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

morlac wrote:Any other suggestions I may have missed?
Also consider:
  • Mario + Rabbids
  • Arms
  • Blaster Master Zero
  • Golf Story
  • Binding of Isaac
  • Cave Story
  • Graceful Explosion Machine
  • Shovel Knight
  • I Am Setsuna
  • Overcooked
  • Oxenfree
  • Snake Pass
  • Snipperclips
  • Sonic Mania
  • Steamworld Dig 2
Bold = some of my personal favorites
morlac

Post by morlac »

Ænima wrote:I'm having fun with Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. It's basically a Mariofied XCom tactical game with some light adventuring in between.

Ok, I glazed right over this title and gave it no thought because it looked like some fluzzy Mario/whatever spinoff. I honestly thought it was some Plants vs Zombie garden warfare type game based on the cover. Boy was I wrong! Damn you Nintendo and your cute misleading overtones! Just watched a couple play videos and this looks really cool. I got a Gladius vibe from it as much as Xcom. Added to the list!

Me and daughter played some more Splatton...she is deadly at it! I completely suck. We have decided to play "one character" So she can unlock me cool stuff :P

Just played another hour of Lego undercover.... This game rocks. I have not grinned so much playing a game in awhile.

Zelda...still unplayed but man it's coming soon.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I'd personally hold off on Golf Story. I liked the game itself, but I ran into a TON of bugs. Multiple lockups in different situations that required a hard restart of the game, and a ton of smaller, but annoying, polish issues. For whatever reason, I seem to be hitting those more than other people, but it was bad enough that I put it aside after getting halfway through, despite liking it.

I'll give a strong second to Mario + Rabbids and Steamworld Dig 2. I'm currently working through Rabbids, Zelda (still, I stalled out), and Stardew. I've got a two week vacation to Hawaii starting next week, so I'll probably pick up Picross before we leave, and download Mario Odyssey while we're out there. I'm also getting tempted by Axiom Verge and Flame in the Flood.

Basically, the Switch is quickly turning into the place where I might actually play some of those smaller indie games that I never get around to playing at home.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
morlac

Post by morlac »

Just grabbed Has Been Heroes for 15 bucks used. On my way home no to play until daughter gets home then were finally cranking up Zelda. Woohoo!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

PSA: Graceful Explosion Machine is on sale for ten bucks this weekend in the eShop. This should be mandatory for shmup fans.
morlac

Post by morlac »

I have played Zelda and it indeed is awesome!

I may have also added Stardew Valley and NBA 2k18 to the fold. SD Valley is a no brainer as it's a perfect portable game. I am also obsessed with franchise mode in the NBA2k series. I maybe play games about 10% of the time so the 30 FPS and not as good graphics don't bother me. I've owned either a PC or PS3 copy for the 8 last years but never paid more than $25. I can now franchise mode on the crapper for $60. I would have paid twice that ;)

No more new games for me until Skyrim.

...though I did see a used copy of Mariokart for $45... :horse: