Octocon XXI - October 20-21

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hentzau

Re: Octocon XXI - October 20-21

Post by hentzau »

Moat_Man wrote:What is the farthest anyone has travelled to come to the Chicago Octocon?
Well, Zax has traveled in from Colorado, but he had a race as well, so I'm not sure that one counts. KKBlue and teclta (sp?) traveled in from somewhere out east. But I think that BD & Bob traveling in from NM will hold our record for furthest traveled.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Coop came from Texas.

Didn't Red Warlord also come from Texas or am I conflating people and locations again?
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

hentzau wrote:CR, can I assume that you have your own dice for you and CF?
She certainly does, will have to dig mine out.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote:Coop came from Texas.

Didn't Red Warlord also come from Texas or am I conflating people and locations again?
Redwarlord is a childhood friend and would come up to see me during the events when he could. But that was just from Ft. Wayne back then. He and his wife live in China now as she's teaching at a college there. Although he was here for a couple of weeks this summer on vacation.
Covfefe!
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

hepcat wrote:
LordMortis wrote:Coop came from Texas.

Redwarlord is a childhood friend and would come up to see me during the events when he could. But that was just from Ft. Wayne back then. He and his wife live in China now as she's teaching at a college there. Although he was here for a couple of weeks this summer on vacation.
Wow - too bad his vacation didn't coincide with an Octocon. Imagine being able to say folks came all the way from China. That would be really cool.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

hentzau wrote:
Moat_Man wrote:What is the farthest anyone has travelled to come to the Chicago Octocon?
Well, Zax has traveled in from Colorado, but he had a race as well, so I'm not sure that one counts. KKBlue and teclta (sp?) traveled in from somewhere out east. But I think that BD & Bob traveling in from NM will hold our record for furthest traveled.
Yeah, we flew in from CT and Coop was there that weekend too!
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Bad Demographic

Is there a good place near Octocon where I can buy cool dice of assorted types?
My old dice were among the things we got rid of before we moved. Bob has a couple of them but doesn't always bring them to gaming. Now that we're playing Call of Cthulhu I'd like to expand my dice collection to more than just 6-siders.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Bad Demographic wrote:Is there a good place near Octocon where I can buy cool dice of assorted types?
My old dice were among the things we got rid of before we moved. Bob has a couple of them but doesn't always bring them to gaming. Now that we're playing Call of Cthulhu I'd like to expand my dice collection to more than just 6-siders.
Near OctoCon? Not really. Games Plus out in mount prospect probably has the largest assortment of dice, but it’s about a half hour drive from the OC site (traffic depending, of course. )
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Bad Demographic

hentzau wrote:
Bad Demographic wrote:Is there a good place near Octocon where I can buy cool dice of assorted types?
Near OctoCon? Not really. Games Plus out in mount prospect probably has the largest assortment of dice, but it’s about a half hour drive from the OC site (traffic depending, of course. )
Well there's Thursday evening...

Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Bad Demographic wrote:
hentzau wrote:
Well there's Thursday evening...
Then definitely Games Plus. Old school game store with one of the best selections of games in the city.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I visited Games Plus in the late 80s and it was amazing. So strange to go back and see some of the classic stuff still on the shelves. I'm even going to drive out that direction next week to pitch a client solely for the excuse to stop by on the trip back.

Still, there are several online options to buy a big random bag of dice.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I watched the Bela Lugosi Dracula last night. Now it has me itching to play Fury of Dracula.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You haven't seen Dracula until you've watched its Mexican counterpart.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Now I'm back to questionable (I suppose that should be my permanent state of commitment these days). Wife is starting a new job that week, doesn't know yet if she's working that day. Her new job is second shift starting at 3 pm, so if she has to work I'll likely not be able to make it. :?
Black Lives Matter
Bad Demographic

So I'll be packing for the trip. Weather forecast anyone?

Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Current 7 day is forecasting for nice weather. Sunshine and in the 70s. Perfect day to stay inside all day and play games. :)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wife is working afternoon shift, so the plans for that day are shot to hell. I'd have to bring my 4 year old, which I won't do after the meltdown he had last time I brought him.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'll be there Friday and Saturday when the doors open. Do I have any requests for food items for either day? I would like to avoid the usual 325 donuts and one guy screaming, "I WANTED A DAMN BEAR CLAW!" situation.

Also, any special requests for games? I'm hoping to get Hentzau into a game of Terraforming Mars on Friday morning as I'm guessing that will be his lightest hours. Folks usually don't start arriving until later in the afternoon. Saturday it's hit the ground running time.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:09 am one guy screaming, "I WANTED A DAMN BEAR CLAW!" situation.
Then bring your own damned bear claw.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Black tie thing on Saturday evening and aquababies at noon. If I do make it, will only be a few hours.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Bad Demographic

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:09 am I'll be there Friday and Saturday when the doors open. Do I have any requests for food items for either day? I would like to avoid the usual 325 donuts and one guy screaming, "I WANTED A DAMN BEAR CLAW!" situation.

Also, any special requests for games? I'm hoping to get Hentzau into a game of Terraforming Mars on Friday morning as I'm guessing that will be his lightest hours. Folks usually don't start arriving until later in the afternoon. Saturday it's hit the ground running time.
What is Terraforming Mars like (I know, I know, there's a thread and I should read it)? Is it hard to learn? Does it take a really long time? Maybe Bob and I could play, too?

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's a tableau game which has players buying cards and playing them in front of themselves to help bring the oxygen, water and temperature levels of Mars to acceptable rates for life. All while trying to get the most victory points, which are accrued through raising those levels and other means.

I always play it by ear when it comes to Octocon, so if you folks are around just hop in. I just can't tell you a specific time as I have no clue as to when it will happen...or even if it will. Hent had asked me about trying it as he's been interested in it for a while. That's why I made mention of it.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Bad Demographic wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:10 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:09 am I'll be there Friday and Saturday when the doors open. Do I have any requests for food items for either day? I would like to avoid the usual 325 donuts and one guy screaming, "I WANTED A DAMN BEAR CLAW!" situation.

What is Terraforming Mars like (I know, I know, there's a thread and I should read it)? Is it hard to learn? Does it take a really long time? Maybe Bob and I could play, too?
It seems complex. It's got a lot of bits that you have to wrap your head around and then you are off to the races. If you play a couple of open "generations" of the basic game you will get the hang of it and then you reset and play the full game. If you have no analysis paralysis, a basic game with 3-4 players is about 90 minutes after learning the game.

As hep states there is a board of Mars where you are trying to bring three criteria to critical mass. This happens over the course of 9-15 rounds or so. Each round has you collecting a hand, playing cards and doing actions that help bring about the critical mass until you pass, and then collecting resources that will help you in playing cards, collecting victory points for style, helping to bring about the critical mass of three conditions.

I really enjoy the game. I've played it about 12 times now and it has been the central premise for our last four gaming sessions.

Man you guys tempt me in to wanting to show up early. I need outta this place!

Note, I probably won't play it at OctoCon because I fawn over "new" (to me) stuff there.
Zarathud

Octocon XXI - October 20-21

Post by Zarathud »

I am trying to get the Dead of Winter Warring Colonies expansion this week. It allows for Colony v Colony struggle and brings player counts over 6 which would be very fun!

I'll put up my other games tonight. They'll include Blood Rage, Xia, Scythe, Century Spice Road and Inis. I'll leave X-Wing behind unless my brother in law wants to run it on Saturday.

You want to play Celtic territory domination with me, Mortis!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Oddly enough, I seem to always be playing games that I already know. I think it's because I kind of go into "host" mode at OctoCon, because I get a raft of non-gaming friends that show up and I'm always wanting to make sure they have something to play.

And Hep, I absolutely want to get you into a game of Great Western Trail. I think you'll really enjoy that one.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I just found out that Saint Louis University is off next Monday and Tuesday. Not as good as if it were off this Thursday and Friday, but still makes it a bit easier to make it up to Chicago this weekend. It'll depend on if my friend who I would stay with is around this weekend. If I do make it, I would likely only be at Octocon on Saturday.
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:37 pm I just found out that Saint Louis University is off next Monday and Tuesday. Not as good as if it were off this Thursday and Friday, but still makes it a bit easier to make it up to Chicago this weekend. It'll depend on if my friend who I would stay with is around this weekend. If I do make it, I would likely only be at Octocon on Saturday.
Awesome! Would be great if you can make it up! If you need further directions, etc, PM me and I'll try and guide you in.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hentzau wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:29 pm Oddly enough, I seem to always be playing games that I already know. I think it's because I kind of go into "host" mode at OctoCon, because I get a raft of non-gaming friends that show up and I'm always wanting to make sure they have something to play.

And Hep, I absolutely want to get you into a game of Great Western Trail. I think you'll really enjoy that one.
<3 <3 <3
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:37 pm I just found out that Saint Louis University is off next Monday and Tuesday. Not as good as if it were off this Thursday and Friday, but still makes it a bit easier to make it up to Chicago this weekend. It'll depend on if my friend who I would stay with is around this weekend. If I do make it, I would likely only be at Octocon on Saturday.

Nice. Saturday is the day anyway and Friday traffic sucks it big time.

... Suddenly for some reason I feel as though really I need to a play some sort Celtic territorial domination game this weekend probably with Z....
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:46 pm
<3 <3 <3
I had to look that up. I initially thought the LM bot had rebooted after a memory dump, but then I realized it was actually a thing.

You kids and your rock and roll music and your Neil Sedaka...
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I had a defect in a previous job where we weren't getting full customer data from an XML feed across the wire. I finally had them send me a screenshot from the old system. The business customer name had '<3' in the title.
Spoiler:
For the non-techies, XML consists of bracketed <tags></tags>. Extraneous <> signs in the data do bad things.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm a big fan of clients who name their files something like "This is a workbook from November 12th that I worked on last Saturday for Bob in Accounting" and then upload it to SharePoint and wonder why it won't load after it's nested under 5 other folders with long names. :x
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Long nested folder names with space and apostrophes and math symbols and ampersands and hashpoundsymbols are my absolute favorite. Everyone should use these. The only thing that could make them better is when people put periods in them...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I look forward to emoji support.
Bad Demographic

I'd list the games we're bringing but they're out in the car. I know we're bringing "Defenders of the Last Stand" and "Acquire" (a game I've had since the 1970's). Not sure about the others. Other than "Acquire", I'd guess that whatever we're bringing is already on the way with other folks.

I'm reviewing the rules to "Defenders of the Last Stand" tonight since we haven't played it in a while.

Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Bad Demographic wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:48 pm I'd list the games we're bringing but they're out in the car. I know we're bringing "Defenders of the Last Stand" and "Acquire" (a game I've had since the 1970's). Not sure about the others. Other than "Acquire", I'd guess that whatever we're bringing is already on the way with other folks.

I'm reviewing the rules to "Defenders of the Last Stand" tonight since we haven't played it in a while.
You're driving up? Wow. Safe trip you guys!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I used to like playing Acquire. It's been awhile though and last time I played I hardly remembered proper strategy and sucked badly (I think it was an online version).
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I remember loving Acquire but I don't remember the particulars of the game. I was going to purchase it to replace my parents old destroyed version of the game but the pricetag at the time deterred me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was going to bring a copy of this for Demo and Bob.

Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tempted to pick up a copy of this and make Hep and Zarathud play. I would love to see Zarathud rules lawyer the hell out of it.