Unread posts

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Haranguer

Unread posts

Post by Haranguer »

What has happened to "Unread Posts"? Great way to keep up on everything without having to go through every topic.

Don't see how to search on other members either.

Haranguer. :?: :?:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
Isgrimnur

Re: Unread posts

Post by Isgrimnur »

Which theme are you using?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Probably black. Same for me posted in other thread
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Years ago I just added a link to my bookmark toolbar. It's a lot faster than looking for the link on the page.

https://www.octopusoverlords.com/forum/ ... nreadposts

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

TheMix wrote:Years ago I just added a link to my bookmark toolbar. It's a lot faster than looking for the link on the page.

https://www.octopusoverlords.com/forum/ ... nreadposts
Smrt
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm always surprised at how many people use that. Seeing all of the posts just lumped in together without the context to topics would make me nuts.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

? It shows the thread title and then you click on the little paper icon to take you to the first unread post. It doesn't just show the posts.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I know. I just don't want to have the R&P mixed in with the PC Gaming mixed in with the Meta forum and so on. Sometimes, for instance, I'll skip R&P until I have the time to give it more attention (or when I'm just not in the mood.) If I'm following a particular thread in Gaming in General, I'll jump in there if I see a new post, even if I don't have time for the others. The Forum Games I never click on. Lumping them all together just seems like a really weird way of reading things to me.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:20 pm I know. I just don't want to have the R&P mixed in with the PC Gaming mixed in with the Meta forum and so on. Sometimes, for instance, I'll skip R&P until I have the time to give it more attention (or when I'm just not in the mood.) If I'm following a particular thread in Gaming in General, I'll jump in there if I see a new post, even if I don't have time for the others. The Forum Games I never click on. Lumping them all together just seems like a really weird way of reading things to me.
Agreed.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

It shows which forum the post is in. Though the title itself is often a giveaway. Rarely I'll click a post thinking it's something else and then realize that it's in a forum I wasn't expecting (usually that's going to be either R&P or Forum Games). But generally I choose the threads I want to read by the title/subject matter, not by the forum. :confusion-shrug:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I browse multiple ways. New Posts helps me keep up on active threads. I probably do this the most. Unread helps me see threads I missed. Unanswered helps me find neglected posts.

The by category when I'm feeling like catching up on games or R&P or whatever. This is my favorite but I rarely have time for this kind of deep read.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:02 am I browse multiple ways. New Posts helps me keep up on active threads. I probably do this the most. Unread helps me see threads I missed. Unanswered helps me find neglected posts.

The by category when I'm feeling like catching up on games or R&P or whatever. This is my favorite but I rarely have time for this kind of deep read.
You left out "I haven't been interested in clicking on this thread but it just hit a 2nd page and there's no logical reason why that topic would hit 2 pages so now I have to read it from the beginning to see what's going on."
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

The Meal wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:28 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:20 pm I know. I just don't want to have the R&P mixed in with the PC Gaming mixed in with the Meta forum and so on. Sometimes, for instance, I'll skip R&P until I have the time to give it more attention (or when I'm just not in the mood.) If I'm following a particular thread in Gaming in General, I'll jump in there if I see a new post, even if I don't have time for the others. The Forum Games I never click on. Lumping them all together just seems like a really weird way of reading things to me.
Agreed.
+1
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Haranguer

Post by Haranguer »

Got it, thanks to all, appreciated.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hentzau wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:55 pm
The Meal wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:28 pm
Agreed.
+1
Same here.
That's my purse! I don't know you!