XBox One X (formerly Scorpio)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hepcat

XBox One X (formerly Scorpio)

Post by hepcat »

The new Xbox One X is revealed and ready for preorders in anticipation of it's Nov. 7th release. $499 gets you a pretty beefy console. I think I may grab one of these when it releases. The Xbox One has been...well...disappointing for me, to say the least. But for $499, I can get a cutting edge game console AND 4k UHD Blu-ray player.

Specs:

Enlarge Image
Covfefe!
wonderpug

Re: XBox One X (formerly Scorpio)

Post by wonderpug »

I still can't understand whether I'm supposed to think of this as an expensive Genesis 32X type add-in or a next gen console. It feels like it's riding in between the two, which seems like a really confusing place to be at $499. The 32X would have been ~$270 adjusted for inflation.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'll probably get it because I have a setup at home to take advantage of the power, but $499 is mighty pricey.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm hoping it drops in price shortly after release.

Hey, I can dream, can't I?
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Wasn't the last one $499? That's what a premium tablet costs. It's 2/3 of a flagship smart phone. Seems pretty in line.

I'm hoping it is good. This is my plan for a 4k player.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote:Wasn't the last one $499? That's what a premium tablet costs. It's 2/3 of a flagship smart phone. Seems pretty in line.

I'm hoping it is good. This is my plan for a 4k player.
Yeah, you're right, the last one was $499. I completely forgot it was that price at launch. When comparing to the original XBox One price, $499 isn't too bad; when comparing to the XBox One S price of $299, though ($349 for a 1TB version), it does get up there a bit.

Also, the XBox One S is a mighty fine 4K player, at least in my experience. I'm sure the XBox One X will be no different.

Though I am still flabbergasted that Sony's PS4 Pro didn't have a 4K Blu Ray player.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So this is the official "we lost the battle to the PS4 so here's our mid-cycle replacement" effort? I'll never buy a launch-day console and I'm guessing this technically would be considered new enough as to cause concern, right?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote:So this is the official "we lost the battle to the PS4 so here's our mid-cycle replacement" effort? I'll never buy a launch-day console and I'm guessing this technically would be considered new enough as to cause concern, right?
Yes and no?

It's more like XBox One 3.0 than a wholly new console, but there's some truth to it being a mid-cycle replacement effort. I don't think it's new enough to cause any new console concern, though.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought the XBox One S was the mid-cycle console. But you'd think they'd go with XBox Two or something to signify the beginning of a new one.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well they don't want to do anything that looks like they're re-launching an entirely new unit to try and make up for lost time against the PS4. I mean, that's my take. I guess I need to read up more on everything as I'd thought this was a pretty big change in hardware (much faster) and a decreased footprint. As the proud owner of three Xbox360s (two died with RRoD), I can attest that heat mitigation isn't their strong suit. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

From the specs, it looks like the footprint is very close to that of its predecessor. However, the hardware is much beefier.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yeah, I thought this was a whole new console and the branding is to get everything inline with Windows 10 (hence Xbox X). Or at least that is what i read...think it was on Ars.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I think Microsoft wants this to be the end of console generations. They will just iterate new hardware every few years maintaining game compatibility all the way.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote:Yeah, I thought this was a whole new console and the branding is to get everything inline with Windows 10 (hence Xbox X). Or at least that is what i read...think it was on Ars.
I thought they got in line with Win10 a while back. All their current dashboard stuff looks like Win 10.
Hodor.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

So, if I have a PlayStation Pro and a decent gaming PC, there is zero reason for me to even consider this, right?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Assuming XboxOneX (or whatever the hell they're calling it) "exclusive" titles come to Win10, I don't think so, no. That is honestly what grinds my gears about not owning a PS4 -- all of the actual exclusives I'll never play.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hamlet3145 wrote:So, if I have a PlayStation Pro and a decent gaming PC, there is zero reason for me to even consider this, right?
Not unless you need/want a 4K UHD Blu Ray player.
Hodor.
Antonio94

Post by Antonio94 »

Personally for me the Xbox One X release isn't really fascinating. Sorry Xbox fans but I felt the Xbox One X is just like a upgraded version of Xbox One, similar to the PS4 Pro. By saying this, I don't mean to compare the power between these two consoles. But in terms of games arsenal, I still prefer PS4 more than Xbox One, PS4 has quite excellent upcoming exclusives like GoW, Days Gone. While XBox doesn't have much games I really like.
It's still just my personal preference though, but we'll see what they plan for Xbox One X. Probably Microsoft will have further plan for this X version.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ehhh. You kind of have to compare One X with PS4 Pro in terms of power, as native 4K gaming is a big selling point for the One X, and PS4 Pro can't do that.
Hodor.
Antonio94

Post by Antonio94 »

pr0ner wrote:Ehhh. You kind of have to compare One X with PS4 Pro in terms of power, as native 4K gaming is a big selling point for the One X, and PS4 Pro can't do that.
It's probably because I'm not bothered by the graphic much. I'm more interested in the story and gameplay.
But still, I want to see what games Microsoft will have with Xbox One X and that 4K gaming. Currently I still think PS4 has more attractive games arsenal on their hand.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I kind of agree. I have a solid gaming PC. For a long time, my xbox was for Forza and Dead Rising. They have lost me with Dead Rising 4 and I can play Forza on my PC. I don't really have a need for an xbox at this point and I don't see anything coming that will change that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

We have 2 XBOX Ones in the house, and they do a great job. I'm not sure what this One X is really offering that I care about. I'm not ready to go out and get a 4K TV, so that angle is kind of lost on me. I'm really surprised they announced this without any kind of VR tie-in or bundle. I know the One X is supposed to be VR-capable, but it doesn't seem like MS is pushing that. I think that's the only aspect that would get me interested enough to jettison my current XBONE in favor of the X/Scorpio.

And, for what it's worth, I'm still of the opinion that VR is not quite ready for prime time. But, that said, I did have an opportunity to play around with the PS4 Pro VR set up with the Batman VR game, and all I can say is, WOW! We are getting really close to a living room holo-deck!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kurth wrote:We have 2 XBOX Ones in the house, and they do a great job. I'm not sure what this One X is really offering that I care about. I'm not ready to go out and get a 4K TV, so that angle is kind of lost on me. I'm really surprised they announced this without any kind of VR tie-in or bundle. I know the One X is supposed to be VR-capable, but it doesn't seem like MS is pushing that. I think that's the only aspect that would get me interested enough to jettison my current XBONE in favor of the X/Scorpio.

And, for what it's worth, I'm still of the opinion that VR is not quite ready for prime time. But, that said, I did have an opportunity to play around with the PS4 Pro VR set up with the Batman VR game, and all I can say is, WOW! We are getting really close to a living room holo-deck!
4k for black Friday, just after the Xbox one X is released.

Or at least that's the plan for now.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

If I had a 4k TV I would be all over this. But I don't. So my Xbox one will do just fine for now.

Looking forward to hearing impressions from others once they get it though.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

So did I miss out on the pre-order windows for this? I'm planning on buying a 4K TV for my gaming room, and would like to use this for the 4K player. I checked most of the usual suspect sites but saw no options to pre-order.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They're sold out. But I was planning on waiting until gamestop or amazon offered preorders of just the console though, and not the annoying bundle "deals". I want to trade in my xbox one and all its stuff to take a bit of the edge off the price.
Covfefe!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hentzau wrote:So did I miss out on the pre-order windows for this? I'm planning on buying a 4K TV for my gaming room, and would like to use this for the 4K player. I checked most of the usual suspect sites but saw no options to pre-order.
I assume if you wanted the Scorpio edition you've missed out.

I don't know if they've done a pre-order for the "regular" edition, or if they'll do so.

Don't forget to make sure your 4K TV is going to have HDR capabilities to take full advantage of the 4K player and the 4K/HDR capabilities of the games getting that shiny polish on them.
Hodor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hentzau wrote:So did I miss out on the pre-order windows for this? I'm planning on buying a 4K TV for my gaming room, and would like to use this for the 4K player. I checked most of the usual suspect sites but saw no options to pre-order.
Pre-orders are back in stock most places.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Newegg sent me an e-mail a day or two ago.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, I got one from the Microsoft store yesterday. Going to place an order hopefully today.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Stopped into GameStop and placed a $100 reservation on the system. So I’m in.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Waiting a bit longer to see if there are any good bundles ss we get closer. Plus I'm waiting for black Friday 4k TV sales before making the leap to 4k

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm watching and waiting until I need the TV. The room remodel is going slowly, plus costing more than I had anticipated, so I may very well have the X1X before I have the TV. I might have to work out a deal with my wife to let me raid some of our savings to get the TV sooner rather than later.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Pyperkub wrote:Waiting a bit longer to see if there are any good bundles ss we get closer. Plus I'm waiting for black Friday 4k TV sales before making the leap to 4k
This is a very good idea. It's what I did last year and saved quite a bit of money.
Hodor.
Gargantuan Orangutan

Post by Gargantuan Orangutan »

How much longevity and stability can we expect from the Xbox One X? I'm concerned the advanced hardware
will make it fragile, like another repeat of the RRoD fiasco.
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

Im pretty excited about this. Ive got my preorder paid off at Gamestop. From the Shadow Of War comparisons making the rounds....its looking like a substantial upgrade from the PS4 Pro. The extra memory is going to be a huge factor for the better textures/assets that the Xbox One X will have.
My Gamertag: Hetz OO
PSN ID: Hetz76
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/HetzOO
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Hetz wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:38 pm Im pretty excited about this. Ive got my preorder paid off at Gamestop. From the Shadow Of War comparisons making the rounds....its looking like a substantial upgrade from the PS4 Pro. The extra memory is going to be a huge factor for the better textures/assets that the Xbox One X will have.
Thanks for reminding me to drop off some more money at Gamestop today...
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Grabbed my X yesterday. But I've hit a bit of a financial slump...lots of bills coming due at once, so it may be into next year before I can get a TV that I can hook the durn thing up to. :(
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm holding off. I've gone too crazy on the spending this year and I can't justify 500 bucks when I've got so many other games I haven't even touched...or any 4K movies to play on it. Probably sometime after Christmas though.
Covfefe!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Planning on 4k tv + receiver for black friday, so that's my order date. Hopefully some nice bundles by then on the xbox one x.