Assassin's Creed Origins

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Assassin's Creed Origins

Post by jztemple2 »

At almost 24 hours in I finally broke down and used the 200 Helix credits that came with the game and bought a pack of crafting supplies. I guess it's better than expending two Ability points to be able to buy crafting supplies from the blacksmith or tailor, since at some point I'll top out on all my crafting activities and then that Ability would be of no further use.

And even at almost 24 hours in, I'm still doing stuff around Alexandria. Nothing makes a morning look brighter than Grand Theft Papyrus Reed Boat :D

BEST ASSASSIN'S CREED GAME EVER!!! :wub:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I got this on PS4. Its a good AC game and I like the setting. But it does seem a bit too easy, so far, or normal. The only challenges are the guys with the red skull markers and they are functionally impossible at this point. I have tried a lot of strategies but can basically just plink at them from a distance and then run away since they are devastating in any combat. I might be able to take one out if I could kite him away from his buds and whittle away. I look forward to leveling and being able to kill them for eventual revenge. Maybe I will take animal training next and try to get some beasts to tank them while I plink away from a vantage point. Also, FWIW, those damned "outsider" bounty-hunters are completely indestructible thus far; I have to run away.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:17 pm I got this on PS4. Its a good AC game and I like the setting. But it does seem a bit too easy, so far, or normal. The only challenges are the guys with the red skull markers and they are functionally impossible at this point. I have tried a lot of strategies but can basically just plink at them from a distance and then run away since they are devastating in any combat. I might be able to take one out if I could kite him away from his buds and whittle away. I look forward to leveling and being able to kill them for eventual revenge. Maybe I will take animal training next and try to get some beasts to tank them while I plink away from a vantage point. Also, FWIW, those damned "outsider" bounty-hunters are completely indestructible thus far; I have to run away.
The Phylakes are not easy, but I have killed three of them so far including one that was two levels higher than me. I engage at range with a predator bow with fire arrows and then depending where I am I either go for charged heavy attacks or leap attacks. Also, now that I start combat with my overpower attack half charged that can come into play and is devastating with double damage unlocked.

There are certain other enemies that are much stronger than the normal guys and I am not always sure how to tell before I attack them... except that Assassinate changes to Leap Attack or Stealth Attack because my assassin's blade (which does something like 3500 damage now) doesn't do enough damage to kill them.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I found Buster Keaton in the game:

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I just go into hawk mode and then hover and pre-identify all the targets and their levels before I go into an area (like a camp or garrison). I don't usually get surprised by the skull-difficulty guys unless they wander by while I'm stirring up some sort of trouble.

BTW, is there a way to shoot the lock off of a cage and free a caged animal in the middle of a camp?

Also - any tips on breaking the oil jars and starting fires more easily. I don't quite have the hang of it unless there is some other open flame near by. I know there are ways to shoot flaming arrows (loading screen hints mentioned this at one point) but I don't know them yet.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:10 pm Also - any tips on breaking the oil jars and starting fires more easily. I don't quite have the hang of it unless there is some other open flame near by. I know there are ways to shoot flaming arrows (loading screen hints mentioned this at one point) but I don't know them yet.
Generally if I set a fire, I am about to be desynchronized. After I posted about the Phylakes I was looking at a page about them and noticed that I got my fire arrow predator bow from one of them... (level 25 one I think) so you can set fire on demand when you get that one.

If you stand near a source of flame with an arrow knocked someday eventually the arrow will become a fire arrow. I only did it on purpose once.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:26 pm At almost 24 hours in I finally broke down and used the 200 Helix credits that came with the game and bought a pack of crafting supplies. I guess it's better than expending two Ability points to be able to buy crafting supplies from the blacksmith or tailor, since at some point I'll top out on all my crafting activities and then that Ability would be of no further use.

And even at almost 24 hours in, I'm still doing stuff around Alexandria. Nothing makes a morning look brighter than Grand Theft Papyrus Reed Boat :D

BEST ASSASSIN'S CREED GAME EVER!!! :wub:
At some point you'll top out on all important abilities except the 3 passive abilities that you can keep spending point into.
Victoria Raverna

coopasonic wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:43 pm
Cylus Maxii wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:10 pm Also - any tips on breaking the oil jars and starting fires more easily. I don't quite have the hang of it unless there is some other open flame near by. I know there are ways to shoot flaming arrows (loading screen hints mentioned this at one point) but I don't know them yet.
Generally if I set a fire, I am about to be desynchronized. After I posted about the Phylakes I was looking at a page about them and noticed that I got my fire arrow predator bow from one of them... (level 25 one I think) so you can set fire on demand when you get that one.

If you stand near a source of flame with an arrow knocked someday eventually the arrow will become a fire arrow. I only did it on purpose once.
If you light a torch then drop it, you can use it to light your arrow. So you can set fire on demand.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:14 pm If you light a torch then drop it, you can use it to light your arrow. So you can set fire on demand.
Well that's just downright cool 8-)
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:24 am
Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:14 pm If you light a torch then drop it, you can use it to light your arrow. So you can set fire on demand.
Well that's just downright cool 8-)
Thread Winner!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For anyone looking for some decent play tips and hints, I found this article on Kotaku, Tips For Playing Assassin’s Creed Origins, pretty useful. This is my favorite:
You can change Bayek’s hair and beard.

Partway into the story, protagonist Bayek shaves his head and his beard. That’s kind of a bummer, since he looked pretty cool at the start of the game. If you want to toggle either his hair or his beard, you can do so in the “gear” menu by pressing left trigger + Y/Triangle (hair) and right trigger + Y/Triangle (beard).
Now if I could just figure out how to have him remove his hoodie...

I'm finding that I'm not having as much trouble as I thought I would following the story. Also, the NPCs are great, lots of personalities and characters. I especially like the guy at the one city who is trying to convince you to live there; you get a free house, all you have to due is dig it out! :D
Victoria Raverna

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:29 pm For anyone looking for some decent play tips and hints, I found this article on Kotaku, Tips For Playing Assassin’s Creed Origins, pretty useful. This is my favorite:

Partway into the story, protagonist Bayek shaves his head and his beard. That’s kind of a bummer, since he looked pretty cool at the start of the game. If you want to toggle either his hair or his beard, you can do so in the “gear” menu by pressing left trigger + Y/Triangle (hair) and right trigger + Y/Triangle (beard).
You can toggle hoodie/helmet in the gear page. Look at the outfit icon/box in the gear page, it'll tell you the key or button to toggle that.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:35 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:29 pm For anyone looking for some decent play tips and hints, I found this article on Kotaku, Tips For Playing Assassin’s Creed Origins, pretty useful. This is my favorite:

You can toggle hoodie/helmet in the gear page. Look at the outfit icon/box in the gear page, it'll tell you the key or button to toggle that.
That worked like a charm :D.

About 34 hours in. I'm still enjoying the game but getting a little burned out, so I'm going to stop playing for a bit... who am I kidding? I'll probably play again tomorrow :roll:

About the only things I haven't enjoyed are the chariot racing and the boat vs boat combat. Both just don't feel very detailed, they seem too abstract in implementation. But those are really a minor part of the game.

I've finally upgraded my assassin's wrist knife to it's top level, which cost me a lot of resource gathering and nine thousand gold given to the little guy running the blue caravan in exchange for three crystals. I have one level left in all the other crafting categories except the quiver which I topped out right near the start. Since I tend to prefer stealthy whenever I can, I wanted to be sure my assassin's blade will work against as many bad people as possible.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Version 1.0.3 patch notes
This is to let you know that the 1.0.3 patch is now live on all platforms.

Patch Size:
Xbox One: 1.8GB
PS4: 1.5GB
Uplay PC: 1.3GB | Steam: up to 1.1GB

Please find the latest changes below.

Patch Highlight

New Photomode features:

Implemented camera roll
Implemented multiple effect types in Photo Mode including: depth of field, exposure, vignette, temperature, tint, saturation, and noise

System

Improved stability and performance
Improved some visuals and looting issues on incapacitated or dead NPCs
Fixed multiple loading issues when getting back to playable character after using Senu
[PC] Fixed various issues in VRAM Meter
[PC] Fixed various issues in multi-monitor mode

Graphics & Audio

[Xbox One S][Xbox One X][PS4/PS4 Pro] Added HDR TV support
[Xbox One X] Added 4K support on Xbox One X
[Xbox One] Added Dolby Atmos support
Added audio feedback on conflict warning
Added audio feedback when sheathing and unsheathing weapons with Aya
Added splashing sound when falling in water while mounted
Integrated Japanese voice overs in Military points of interest in certain languages
Fixed issue were dialogue lines could play twice
[PC] Fixed geometric explosions and artifacts after applying options without restart of the game

World

Improved some textures stretches and flickers
Improved world visual when riding horse at high speed
Improved multiple spawning positions for NPCs and animals
Improved level of details in different locations
Fixed multiple lighting issues
Fixed some floating objects
Fixed water visual close to ships at night
Fixed looting issue on a chest inside Cyrene Barracks

Gameplay

Spoiler: Show
Added rumble and visual feedback to Charge Heavy Attack while mounted
Allowed player to Assassinate an enemy while in fight with another group of enemies
Allowed Kill Loot ability in bare handed combat
Improved playable character, NPCs, and animal navigation
Improved NPCs reactions
Improved smoke bomb throwing usability
Improved spawn locations when reloading checkpoint in the Cyrene region
Improved controls on mount
Balanced damages when executing an Overpower Chain Throw
Prevented sandstorm from appearing over water
Prevented performing Overpower ability on allies
Prevented playable character from changing stance during dialogue scenes
Fixed various issues with the playable character being stuck in overheat stance, in haystacks, or in the world geometry under certain circumstances
Fixed an issue preventing players from picking up arrows in some circumstances
Fixed an issue preventing players from interacting with loot bags dropped inside cages
Fixed an issue where screen would briefly turn black when entering pause menu while in Stone Circle activity
Fixed an issue where the thrown weapon could sometimes not hit the intended enemy when using the Overpower Chain Throw ability
Fixed an issue with Critical Attack ability where playable character could sometimes not reach his target
Fixed an issue with caged lions attacks not dealing any damage
Fixed an issue with Ledge Assassination on sleeping enemies
Fixed an issue with Sickle Swords, Heavy Blunt & Scepter Classes not able to transition from Charged Heavy Attack to Charged Light Attack
Fixed visual effect on Sickle Sword's Charged Light Attack
Fixed an issue where arrows could sometimes not hit a moving enemy when locked on him
Fixed some inconsistencies when using the Parry ability with Sickle Swords
Fixed weapon rotation when releasing a Charged Heavy Attack
Fixed camera movement while being locked on to an enemy
Fixed an issue where the playable character could lose health when parrying
Fixed an issue with Captains’ throwing knives not dealing damage
Fixed an issue where player could not loot animals in water while being on ground
Fixed an issue where playable character would leave shield stance upon throwing a Smoke Bomb following a Dash action
Fixed an issue where the hidden blade would lose its upgrades upon respawning
Fixed an issue preventing the predator bow to hit targets in water
Fixed multiple issues with counterweights in Adorer of Thoth Tomb

Quests

Improved various cinematic transitions
Improved level of detail during several cinematic sequences
Improved NPC behavior in the Amanai Cave during the "Water Rats" quest
Improved cinematic during "The Lizard's Mask" quest
Improved multiple spawned positions for NPCs and animals in quests
Altered Present Day to prevent Leyla from taking unwanted paths back to the Animus
Fixed issue with the interaction with NPCs the Cat and Mouse quest
Fixed out of bound issues in Present Day
Fixed an issue where enemies would enter into conflict with playable character during the walk and talk for "Old Times" quest
Fixed an issue where Jeska would run after stray hippo's during "Smoke over water" quest
Fixed an issue where cinematic would not end unless skipped during "Taste of Her Sting" quest
Fixed an issue where Gennadios could stay stuck on horse during "Gennadios the Phylakitai" quest
Fixed the cinematic trigger during the boss fight of "The Lizard's Mask" quest
Fixed an issue where assassination celebration would appear prematurely during "The Battle of the Nile" quest
Fixed an issue preventing the world from load properly during “The Final Weighing” quest
Fixed an issue where Taharqa could stop moving during "The Scarab's Lies" quest
Fixed an issue where Nikias would spawn far away from chariot after failing during "Wild Ride" quest
Fixed an issue where the playable character could remain stuck in a dialogue scene in "What's Yours Is Mine" quest
Fixed an issue where "Pompeius Magnus" quest would not appear in the "Completed" section of the Quest Log
Fixed an issue that could cause an infinite loading after completing "May Amun Walk Beside You" quest
Fixed an issue where the beggar could remain stuck while climbing a rock near Omorfi Villa in ’A Dream of Ashes’’ quest
Fixed issues with unwanted NPCs or animals appearing in cinematics camera shots
Fixed an issue where Meketre could not enter in combat mode during "The Hungry River" quest
Fixed an issue sometime preventing the interaction with Hotephres in ‘’Shadya’s Rest’’ quest
Fixed an issue where playable character would light himself on fire when lighting some torches
Fixed an issue that could prevent the final part of "Aya" quest from starting
Fixed an issue that could prevent Nikias from mounting chariot during "Wild Ride" quest
Fixed an issue that could prevent Bayek from interacting with chests while holding his gear during "The Scarab’s Lies" quest
Fixed an issue that could cause the hay bundles to fall out of world during "Abuse of Power" quest
Fixed an issue where Bayek could be killed during a black screen transition when completing ‘’The Scarab’s lies’’ quest
Fixed various issues preventing objectives from updating in various quests

Activities

Increased Rewards in Hippodrome and Arena
Fixed an issue where the recover prompt would disappear too fast in Hippodrome
Fixed an issue with the Leaderboard not updating properly in the Arena or Hippodrome
Fixed an issue that could prevent the player from progressing after the Duelist I encounter in the Arena
Fixed the Arena’s entry gate that could remain open

Photomode

Implemented camera roll
Implement multiple effect types (depth of field, exposure, vignette, temperature, tint, saturation, noise)
Improved visual grid to follow ‘Rule of Thirds’ principle
[PC] Improved M&K controls
Disabled Photo Mode when in Stone Circles
Disabled critical messages when in Photo Mode
Disabled filter selection during composition mode
Fixed issue where placing a waypoint on a photo thumbnail would display an infinite loading symbol

User Interface

Added back button icon to locked menu pages
Added category filters in the Gear page of the Store
Added a completed activity panel to some activity locations
Added indication of the currently equipped gear in the shop upgrade menu
Added a hold gauge to ‘Follow Road’ input representation
Improved the loot icon when purchasing a Heka Chest
Updated the Tame Animal ability description in the Ability Tree menu
Reduced text size in Arena wave display to prevent display issues in some languages
Corrected the number of Completed Quests visible in its section of the Quest Log menu
Fixed some critical message from appearing even if HUD is set to minimal
Fixed health bar display when aiming at Ptolemaic Champions
Fixed missing Quest Icon in Daily Quest
Fixed issue preventing research folders from opening in Present Day menu
Fixed material icons display when deploying Senu
Fixed an issue where the combat feedback could remain visible after combat ended
Fixed an issue where the "God Slayer" Ubisoft Club Action and Badge were not unlocked upon meeting the proper requirements
Fixed an issue where world map would be desaturated if opened inside a tomb
Fixed inconsistencies in crafted gear preview stats when item was already fully upgraded
Fixed refresh issue where the Ancient Maps Pack remains present in the Store after purchasing any other Map
Fixed last row of the Trinkets menu not being displayed correctly in inventory page of the menu
Fixed several issues with suggested level for quests in the menu
Fixed ellipsis glyph in Japanese, Korean, and Traditional Chinese fonts
Fixed various visual and functionality, menu issues
[PC] Added Very Low value for Clutter Graphics option
[PC] Added tooltip images for all Graphics options
[PC] Added Lock Sensitivity option
[PC] Improved M&K controls in Eagle Mode and Stone Circles
[PC] Improved warning feedback on key mapping repetition
[PC] Removed the option to control quality level of Global Illumination
[PC] Hid the playable character from the Performance Tool page
[PC] Fixed overlapping button icons in the Block and Aim tutorial text when dual keys are assigned to these action
[PC] Fixed the Tobii Eye Auto Pause function when Auto Pause Delay is set to 5/5

If you have any issues, please contact customer support for further assistance.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Anybody have some tips on melee fighting against a guy with a sword and shield? I'm level 28 and I had the toughest time trying to beat this level 20 guy, he blocked me a lot with his shield and I was pretty shut down on my attack. I have Charge Heavy Attack and Parry, maybe I'm not using them the right way...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Dodge and get behind, attack from stealth, put an arrow in his brain, set him on fire, build up your overpower attack on his friends and use it on him...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:45 pm Dodge and get behind, attack from stealth, put an arrow in his brain, set him on fire, build up your overpower attack on his friends and use it on him...
Thanks, I'll give those I try. I keep forgetting to use Dodge, which is not a good way to stay alive.

I had an odd situation at the Khufu Temple Hideout. I killed all the guards and looted the Treasure. However, I couldn't find the Captain to kill him and get the XP for the site. I used Senu but there was no indication he was there. I figured it was a bug and so I just gave up and set out on horseback to rob a nearby gold convoy. Half way there who do I come across but the Captain, heading back to the Hideout! Once I killed him I immediately got credit for the site. So the lesson is, sometimes the AI captains and commanders will leave the site. In a way, kind of cool.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Broke down and picked this up last night despite having far too many games to play right now.

Really fun so far. The mechanics alone are a breath of fresh air to the AC franchise, and I'm also glad they seem to have scaled back the modern day portions of the game. I was able to get back to Egypt in a few minutes after I hit that scene.

I wish I would have noticed this was set near the height of Alexandria and The Great Library though. As a history buff I have always had a fascination with the Great Library and never imagined a game would someday have it as a place you can visit along with the Lighthouse. :geek:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Finally reached Memphis and surprisingly, no dry rub rib joints do I find :D.

I took off part of this afternoon and read as I found I was trying to bang out quests too fast and not enjoying the experience. So now I have about four hours of time to play and I'm going to give the city a good looking over. I did find a place called ήλιος ηχογραφήσεις but I'm not sure what that is.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Sepiche wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:45 am Broke down and picked this up last night despite having far too many games to play right now.
Same! Hope to get some time with it this weekend.
-mf
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished the story. 40th level, 80% completion, 39 hours played, 2047 kills.

I killed all of the Phylakes, but didn't finish much of anything else. I was 1 upgrade away from finishing all of the crafting upgrades, but I didn't really need that last level of armor. I really didn't like that some of the boss fights prevented me from using stealth, otherwise everything was great. There was just too much of it (if you are a completionist anyway).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:26 pm Finished the story. 40th level, 80% completion, 39 hours played, 2047 kills.

I killed all of the Phylakes, but didn't finish much of anything else. I was 1 upgrade away from finishing all of the crafting upgrades, but I didn't really need that last level of armor. I really didn't like that some of the boss fights prevented me from using stealth, otherwise everything was great. There was just too much of it (if you are a completionist anyway).
Hmm, does you character top out at level 40? I'm level 33 right now with 50 hours in, 51% progression. It does seem like level upping is slowing down, so maybe that level 40 cap makes sense.

I completed all the crafting upgrades with the help of Reda the blue camel kid who sold me five crystals in total. I still have oodles of cash and tons of skins, iron and bronze. I guess it helps that I try to ambush every gold convoy I come across.

I just finished up in the Memphis area, exploring all the pyramids and investigating every "?" I've come across. Memphis is riddled with tunnels and there are entrances that I keep finding with Senu to the point that I got tired of even looking, since it seemed that ones I had uncovered became hidden again after a while.

I have to say that it is nice that Origins didn't go down the pointless collecting route, the treasures you find can be converted to cash or if weapons or shields, turned into cash or resources. And the game mechanic of having Senu do scouting for you has motivated me to try to find every treasure cache. I remember in previous AC games collecting pressed flowers or beer brands and after a while gave up on those since they were didn't do anything to benefit my character.

Some of the later abilities don't really make much difference to me since I don't melee if I can avoid it and if I do, I basically just keep mashing keys till something good happens. The ranged weapon abilities are a mixed bag since I tend to stick to the Predator and Hunter bows with an occasional use of the Light bow. And of course all those melee weapons! I've picked out a couple I like and stick with them. It reminds me of Ghost Recon Wildlands where I had access to dozens of weapons and used the same five all the time.

Overall I'm still liking the game. I'm a bit surprised on how much of the map I still haven't had to go visit yet. The map really is enormous in playing terms. I'm really looking forward to the release of the Discovery Mode in January.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:14 am
coopasonic wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:26 pm Finished the story. 40th level, 80% completion, 39 hours played, 2047 kills.

Hmm, does you character top out at level 40? I'm level 33 right now with 50 hours in, 51% progression. It does seem like level upping is slowing down, so maybe that level 40 cap makes sense.
Yes, the level cap is 40. You keep filling the experience bar after that for extra ability points, but you stay at level 40.

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:14 am I just finished up in the Memphis area, exploring all the pyramids and investigating every "?" I've come across. Memphis is riddled with tunnels and there are entrances that I keep finding with Senu to the point that I got tired of even looking, since it seemed that ones I had uncovered became hidden again after a while.
I think Memphis was where I started losing interest in going after every "?". I didn't need the money or the weapons and didn't really need the raw materials.
jztemple2 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:14 amI have to say that it is nice that Origins didn't go down the pointless collecting route, the treasures you find can be converted to cash or if weapons or shields, turned into cash or resources. And the game mechanic of having Senu do scouting for you has motivated me to try to find every treasure cache. I remember in previous AC games collecting pressed flowers or beer brands and after a while gave up on those since they were didn't do anything to benefit my character.
AC:O collectibles may not be literally useless, but they come close as time goes go on.
jztemple2 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:14 amSome of the later abilities don't really make much difference to me since I don't melee if I can avoid it and if I do, I basically just keep mashing keys till something good happens. The ranged weapon abilities are a mixed bag since I tend to stick to the Predator and Hunter bows with an occasional use of the Light bow. And of course all those melee weapons! I've picked out a couple I like and stick with them. It reminds me of Ghost Recon Wildlands where I had access to dozens of weapons and used the same five all the time.
You will be forced to melee at the end, but maybe on Easy it won't matter. For me, the Overpower abilities made it possible to win.
jztemple2 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:14 amOverall I'm still liking the game. I'm a bit surprised on how much of the map I still haven't had to go visit yet. The map really is enormous in playing terms. I'm really looking forward to the release of the Discovery Mode in January.
I finished the game and still haven't uncovered the entire map.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:01 am AC:O collectibles may not be literally useless, but they come close as time goes go on.
I guess I'm seeing that this is true. With enough money I can keep upgrading my favorite weapons so finding new ones isn't needed. It's a shame they didn't figure out a mechanic to allow me to pass weapons I find to the rebels for some kind of extra points.

Did you do all the side quests? I'm trying to do every one as I'm finding them reasonably engaging. The NPCs have character and some of the side quests have serial objectives which make them more interesting, if sometimes a bit tedious.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:44 am Did you do all the side quests? I'm trying to do every one as I'm finding them reasonably engaging. The NPCs have character and some of the side quests have serial objectives which make them more interesting, if sometimes a bit tedious.
Before I decided to dive into the end game, I think I had 96 quests completed. I did not do them all and I stopped picking them up. It had become tiresome. There was a limit to how many captives I wanted to rescue from forts that i was no longer interested in clearing for a pittance of xp with useless loot.

I don't want to sound too down on the game. I played for 39 hours over the course of 9 days. It's a great game, there is just too much of it for a completionist. I could probably spend another 20 hours finishing quests and such, but I just don't see the payoff. I solved two of the papyrus puzzles... I had TWENTY MORE.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Trials of the Gods starts today and the first quest is already available on the map, Level 40. I'm not going to bother with it as these don't interest me, but some folks might like them.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So is this more of the same old same old Assassins Creed as usual? Im STILL trying to get into Syndicate.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Victoria Raverna

Daehawk wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:26 am So is this more of the same old same old Assassins Creed as usual? Im STILL trying to get into Syndicate.
This is closer to an action RPG game.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:05 am
Daehawk wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:26 am So is this more of the same old same old Assassins Creed as usual? Im STILL trying to get into Syndicate.
This is closer to an action RPG game.
Yes, I'd say that the gameplay does feel different than ACS. For one thing, the quests, which are the mechanism that supplies most of the reason that you do things, are quite interesting. The NPC that usually trigger the quests are well done, interesting and very human. The quests do have some variety to them, although a lot end up with the usual kill someone/steal something/find something. Still, the actions make sense within the quest.

Exploring is also more interesting than in ACS or ACU. The map feels big and has a lot of variety. Also there are so many... things I guess you'd say, to see that are part of this period in Egypt. There are places making papyrus, keeping bees to make honey, water raising devices, a rather interesting fishing net system, boat builders, chariot makers... I can't wait for the Discovery mode to be released.

Finally the story. In the previous couple of games I lost interest in the story and just played the missions for the sake of the entertainment value. However, I'm finding that I am enjoying the story line quests and how they tie together. Bayek is a great character, with touches of humor, arrogance and at times humility. He ranks right up there with Ezio, although a bit more serious right from the start. His wife Aya, well, she's a bit too two dimensional for me to get into. Evie Frye would still have to be my favorite female ACS character.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:10 pm

BTW, is there a way to shoot the lock off of a cage and free a caged animal in the middle of a camp?

You can just shoot the door of the cage with an arrow. Typically at which point the animal will exit and then wander in the exact opposite direction that you want it to only to reappear 10 minutes later when you least expect it and attack you right while you are sneaking up on someone.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Gryndyl wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:56 pm
Cylus Maxii wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:10 pm BTW, is there a way to shoot the lock off of a cage and free a caged animal in the middle of a camp?
You can just shoot the door of the cage with an arrow. Typically at which point the animal will exit and then wander in the exact opposite direction that you want it to only to reappear 10 minutes later when you least expect it and attack you right while you are sneaking up on someone.
I figured this out through trial and error. At least it sometimes has interesting results..
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, I'm at sixty-eight and a half hours in the game and about four hours into what I was thinking is the final sequence of quests. I got kinda fooled in that I went through a number of big events...

Spoiler:
met Caesar, put Cleopatra on the throne, found Alexander's body in his tomb, and chased bad guys hither and yon, saw Siwa all sick and stuff.
However, turns out there are still two bad guys to kill. But I need a break, at least for a little while. I'm still enjoying the game, but as I mentioned before, the last AC game I finished to completion of the campaign was Black Flag. So I might go back and finish up Origins, or I might just let it alone for awhile.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

This is currently on sale for PS+ members, so I took the plunge and played for a few hours. So far seems right up my alley (basically Horizon: Zero Dawn in Egypt). My only complaint so far is that the colors seems super washed out, which sometimes makes it hard to read text (I have subtitles on) or see markers or enemies from a distance. Also, the handling seems a bit looser than say, Horizon, but I assume I'll get used to it.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I didn't take too long of a break :D

So I've now played four more hours (at 72.5 hours), thinking I'm going to be hitting the last few missions heading north from Siwa and then boom, I'm at a place with at least a half dozen side missions, plus places to check out for treasure or scrolls. I know that if I finish the main quests I probably won't have the motivation to go back and play all the side mission, so I'm now determined to do all the side quests before finishing the main quests. It looks like I'll be spending a few hours here.

By the way, it's weird that I've found at least one region that has nothing in it, aside from desert. No "?", no points of interest, nothing. Weird.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The Discovery Tour mode is now available for free for those who own the game, or can be purchased separately if you just want the tour.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

They still haven't said if there's an upgrade path from tour mode > full game, right? It's listed on steam as a totally separate thing, so I assume not.

Now I have to decide if I want to wait and get the full game with tour mode, or just get tour mode. The gamer part of me wants the full game. The boring but realistic part of me says that the tour mode will give me 90% of what I want out of an AC game, which is being able to explore a giant world without worrying about getting killed, and with a fun benefit of being able to learn stuff along the way.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Shit, I'd just go for the tour mode. I'd love to play through an Assassin's creed game without finding out (again) that every historical event of note (or not) was caused either by the templars or assassins and without having to collect bear testicles to sew armor patches onto my angry hooded cloak.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:08 pm and without having to collect bear testicles to sew armor patches onto my angry hooded cloak.
Spoilers!!! :D

Seriously though, I've started through the tour a bit. At least initially you move down a golden path with stops that trigger narration and images. You can select "more info" and you'll see the text that the narrator is reading out and with another button push you can clear all the text and just see the image, nice if you want to grab a screenshot.

This is pretty nice, although I had hoped that there would be process where you'd walk up to something you didn't recognize and press a "what's this?" button and it would describe what this object or location was. However, there are supposedly 75 stops in the tour, so that might answer a lot of questions.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:08 pm Shit, I'd just go for the tour mode. I'd love to play through an Assassin's creed game without finding out (again) that every historical event of note (or not) was caused either by the templars or assassins and without having to collect bear testicles to sew armor patches onto my angry hooded cloak.
You're in luck - Origins tries to be pretty historically accurate about ancient Egypt, so no bear testicles to collect. Camel penises on the other hand....
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've done some more of the Discovery Tour and I'd have to say, for folks who don't want to play the game, the $20 USD for just the Tour mode is a pretty nice deal. Not only is it educational, but you can roam anywhere you want and look at everything. There is really so much to see not just in the grand structures, but even in the more mundane items. For instance, I always found it very cool that the small Egyptian reed boats would have small baskets tied on along side filled with fruit or vegetables or other things, using the buoyancy of the water on the baskets to avoid weighing down the boats.

I'm not sure how the Tour mode is going to handle some of the hidden places that were accessible only by solving puzzles. I'll post when I come across one.