Monitor - No Signal

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Grifman

Monitor - No Signal

Post by Grifman »

So I start my computer and I get a message that say “Analog No Signal” a few days ago. Play with cables and get it back to working. Today, boot up computer, black screen. Play with cables, get Analog No Signal” again. Plug/unplug cables, back to black screen. Video card looks to be running, is less than a year old. So do I have bad cables? Seems strange but the monitor and cables are probably over 6 years old at this point. Thoughts, suggestions.
Last edited by Grifman on Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Monitor - No Signal

Post by LawBeefaroni »

How are you connecting? HDMI?

Can you force it to check for digital via the menu?

Sounds like cable issue but eliminate the easy stuff first.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Yes, I have an HDMI cable. Not sure what you mean by checking through the menu though. What menu and how do I get to it?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Grifman wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:14 pm Yes, I have an HDMI cable. Not sure what you mean by checking through the menu though. What menu and how do I get to it?
i assume he means the monitor menu (the physical button you press on the monitor to bring up the OSD)

something is bad, as the monitor is not finding the digital signal, then probably autoswitching to analog inputs and not finding anything there either. can you try a different output on the video card as well? (DVI, VGA, DisplayPort or whatever)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Yeah, I just realized I have another cable I can try. My current cables is dvi (pc) to hdmi (monitor). I think I have an hdmi to hdmi hookup between my tv and my tv and av components that I can try. Will give that a go and report back.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Grifman wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:28 pm Yeah, I just realized I have another cable I can try. My current cables is dvi (pc) to hdmi (monitor). I think I have an hdmi to hdmi hookup between my tv and my tv and av components that I can try. Will give that a go and report back.
also, what's the make/model of your monitor and video card?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Well, hdmi to hdmi did not work :doh: My video card is a GeoForce GTX 1070 8GB. My monitor is a Samsung LS23A350HS.

No luck with pulling up the monitor menu.

I’ve seen one suggestion several,times about resetting the CMOS battery on the motherboard. Beyond that I seem stuck.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Can you try hooking up the pc to the tv with HDMI? Or do you have a computer there with a VGA port you can connect to the monitor?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I have a TV across the room, I’ll see if I can move it and the pc across the room closer to each other and hook them up and see what happens.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I get a no display port signal a lot. I can no longer turn my monitor off ever or I have to dick around with the cable. With me its my monitor. Its the port. The HDMI port never does that. Ive gotten by it but replugging the cable and if that fails I unplug the monitor then replug. I bought an extra hdmi cable in case it fails for good. If your monitor and video card both have a different type of port like display Id suggest trying that.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Grifman wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:50 am I have a TV across the room, I’ll see if I can move it and the pc across the room closer to each other and hook them up and see what happens.
if you still get no display on the TV, we can probably at least say the digital out on the video card is done for (since the DVI output didn't work either)

if you do get display, at least the digital input on the monitor has an issue. would be interesting to get an older machine with a VGA port and cable and see how the analog video works.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ok, we have progress! Ordered a 25 ft hdmi cable from Amazon and plugged it in and I have video on my TV. Can see my desktop pain as day, a welcome sight indeed! So I assume this means I have a bad connection on my monitor and need a new one. The monitor still works, I just can’t get a connection. Is a new monitor the solution here?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Grifman wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:51 pm So I assume this means I have a bad connection on my monitor and need a new one. The monitor still works, I just can’t get a connection. Is a new monitor the solution here?
check the review thread, heh... https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S23A350H ... filter-bar

looks like you're not alone. probably a new monitor purchase is in order.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If you have a different set of matching connections on the monitor and video card you could use that instead.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:04 pm If you have a different set of matching connections on the monitor and video card you could use that instead.
the monitor only supports HDMI and VGA. the video card has no VGA output.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ok, my monitor has an RGB connector. I could purchase a dvi (pc) to RGB (monitor) cable - I am assuming the RGB connection works. Is there any problem with this. Will the RGB connection provide an inferior image?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

can you see the POST screen on your monitor? If so, it may be a driver or resolution issue. If you can see POST try this:
hook back to TV
change resolution to 1024x768 or something close to that, then test with monitor again.
If it works, go download Nvidia drivers from Nvidia site and reinstall. You may have gotten a bad driver through windows update.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Punisher wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:54 pm can you see the POST screen on your monitor? If so, it may be a driver or resolution issue. If you can see POST try this:
hook back to TV
change resolution to 1024x768 or something close to that, then test with monitor again.
If it works, go download Nvidia drivers from Nvidia site and reinstall. You may have gotten a bad driver through windows update.
Nope, no post screen, just a “Check signal cable” message. And if it were a driver or resolution issue, why would I see my desktop when I hooked up my tv?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Grifman wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:54 pm Ok, my monitor has an RGB connector. I could purchase a dvi (pc) to RGB (monitor) cable - I am assuming the RGB connection works. Is there any problem with this. Will the RGB connection provide an inferior image?
by 'RGB' do you mean VGA or component video? either way, you can do that, but the image quality will be noticeably inferior. not recommended.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:10 pm
Grifman wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:54 pm Ok, my monitor has an RGB connector. I could purchase a dvi (pc) to RGB (monitor) cable - I am assuming the RGB connection works. Is there any problem with this. Will the RGB connection provide an inferior image?
by 'RGB' do you mean VGA or component video? either way, you can do that, but the image quality will be noticeably inferior. not recommended.
Yeah, that was my question. Looks like it’s time for a new monitor. Off to Costco I go!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The thread title sounds likes B-level thriller.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Just replaced mine with one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-C24F390- ... B01CX26WPY

Love it, the color and brightness are amazing and I like the curve better than I expected.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:38 pm The thread title sounds likes B-level thriller.
I'm glad some are getting entertainment out of this!
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Grifman wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:27 pm
Punisher wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:54 pm can you see the POST screen on your monitor? If so, it may be a driver or resolution issue. If you can see POST try this:
hook back to TV
Nope, no post screen, just a “Check signal cable” message. And if it were a driver or resolution issue, why would I see my desktop when I hooked up my tv?
Since no POST, my option doesn't count, BUT I have seen cases were the driver or resolution gets out of wack IE: Out of range and a different monitor/tv supports the set resolution, that the old one does not. Going into safe mode on the old monitor in this case can sometimes work as well.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
tgb

Post by tgb »

I ran into the same issue but never thought to post here, for some reason. Now I just leave my rig on overnight.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.