Nintendo Switch = NX

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

stessier

Re: Nintendo Switch = NX

Post by stessier »

Is there any reason to think this might go on sale for Black Friday? My wife is thinking about getting this for the kids and I'd hate to spend more than I have to.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

I think it is reasonable to expect that we will see $50 gift card promos and/or bundles with free game(s)/accessories for black Friday. Availability though might be tough.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote:Is there any reason to think this might go on sale for Black Friday? My wife is thinking about getting this for the kids and I'd hate to spend more than I have to.
I think as mentioned we might see promos for accessories, but the console on sale? No chance.

If I were you I'd just get it, and focus on sales on the games (eg preorder Mario Odyssey today and save $12 on Amazon, etc).
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My local Toys R Us got 10 units in today so I just went ahead and grabbed one. I didn't want to take the chance of them being scarce as we get closer to Christmas. All they had was the one with the grey Joy-cons which was not my first choice, but I figure if I find a bundle or something better later on I can always return it. At least this way I don't have to stress about it.

As much as I joke about this being "my" console, I am genuinely excited for the kids. My son is going to go nuts. I could not tear him away from the demo unit at Target. :csmile:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Awesome. Welcome to the bright side. Cookies are to your left.

As for the Joy-cons, assuming you're planning to get another set, just get red/blue or another color there. They are all interchangeable, so having multiple colors isn't necessarily bad.

And if you do swap the system for a red/blue one, note that the colors are swapped vs the extra one (eg you'd then have a l/r blue set and one in red).
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

My son is six and loves iPad gaming and playing Lego games on my PC. One of his friends at school got to bring his switch to school because he broke his jaw and couldn't play outside at recess. Sure enough, my son has spent his recess watching this kid play Mario Kart and now is dripping with gadget lust.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to indulge his desires with a surprise this Hanukkah. While I'm sure I'd love playing Zelda and Mario, the cost to buy the Switch and a couple of games would be really tough for us to justify (especially to the wife). I'm thinking maybe of going with a 3DS or 2DS instead, which is like half the price and has a huge backlog of cheap games, including Mario Kart.

But my God this new Mario game on the Switch looks nice. And Zelda too.... hmmmm.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Capital expenditure. Years of entertainment for pennies on the hour. It's all in how you sell it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:59 pm Capital expenditure. Years of entertainment for pennies on the hour. It's all in how you sell it.
This. I agree that the sticker shock is high, esp if you get accessories. But I've got like 120 hours into Zelda and am not done. Mario Kart 8 is also awesome, and Mario Odyssey is looking to rival BotW for GotY. It's a solid buy if you can make it happen.
Captain Caveman

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:59 pm Capital expenditure. Years of entertainment for pennies on the hour. It's all in how you sell it.
Maybe I’ll get my son to give a PowerPoint presentation, complete with charts and figures, to my wife. If I dress him in a suit and tie, perhaps the charm will be too much for her to resist.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And of course, the Switch gets you the 3DS functionality with the home console as a free bonus. :)
Captain Caveman

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:06 pm And of course, the Switch gets you the 3DS functionality with the home console as a free bonus. :)
Yep, that’s already point #1 in my imagined Powerpoint presentation. :)
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

There's a 99% chance your son is getting a Switch for Hannukah.
Black Lives Matter
Captain Caveman

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:15 pm There's a 99% chance your son is getting a Switch for Hannukah.
No, there's a 49% chance he will. But a 50% chance I will. :ninja:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yes, but are these events independent?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Best Buy had some red/blue units in, so I canceled the gray and went with that.

It sounds like a trivial issue, but if you had experienced how many times the kids have lost black/gray remotes and controllers in our living room, you'd understand my love of bright and colorful electronics.

Can someone explain the controller a little better? Is an extra set of Joycons a must-have for co-op play or a nice-to-have?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Depends on the game. Many games can split the Joy-Con in two and use them individually. More complex games require the pair.

Edit: For example, Mario Kart can use a pair or a single JoyCon. Zelda requires both. Just Dance uses a single JoyCon or mobile phone per player.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Captain Caveman wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:25 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:15 pm There's a 99% chance your son is getting a Switch for Hannukah.
So there's a 25.5% chance that no one gets a Switch! :horse:
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:27 pm
Captain Caveman wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:25 pm
So there's a 25.5% chance that no one gets a Switch! :horse:
Black Lives Matter
Captain Caveman

I fucking knew if I posted those numbers that Isgri would call me on it. :tjg:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:lol:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I would really love to get one for the family this Christmas, although it is looking more and more unlikely due to some ugly bills. If not, hopefully next year.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

With 2 kids who already each have their own 3DS, the Switch is tempting but there's no way to keep the peace without buying 2. And that's way too much.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zarathud wrote:With 2 kids who already each have their own 3DS, the Switch is tempting but there's no way to keep the peace without buying 2. And that's way too much.
Probably doesn't help you, but: the Switch has profiles for each user, with their own saves for each game, friend list, etc. And the recent 4.0 update makes it possible to migrate individual profiles and their data off to a new console should a second one arrive in the future.
morlac

Post by morlac »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:25 pm Best Buy had some red/blue units in, so I canceled the gray and went with that.

It sounds like a trivial issue, but if you had experienced how many times the kids have lost black/gray remotes and controllers in our living room, you'd understand my love of bright and colorful electronics.

Can someone explain the controller a little better? Is an extra set of Joycons a must-have for co-op play or a nice-to-have?
I would grab the Pro gamepad over a second set of Joycons. I use it more than anything else.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I be confused and seek guidance.

Let's say for a minute that I were to buy the following:

Nintendo Switch - Grey - $299
Super Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
The Legend of Zelda
Joy-Con Wireless Wheel (2 pack) - $14.99

I have 2 kids (ages 8 & 11). Are the included controllers enough to play all those games? Is there a need to buy extra controllers? Any other peripherals I need just to get started? I think Mario Kart is the only 2 player one. Are there enough save slots on the other games for a family of 4 not to need a death match to figure out who gets to play what? :)

Either I'm old or the Nintendo site makes this harder than it has to be.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

For those games, yes that will cover you. The JoyCons can be split up to cover 2 players for Kart and Odyssey. Some more complex games would require a set of JoyCons for each player.

That's a perfect starter set-up, though.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And yes, there are profile slots for your whole family.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Thanks!

So is a second joy-con really $80? Or am I looking at the wrong thing?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

They are expensive, yes. But they are also awesome. Imagine Wii remotes, only without all the compromises. (no batteries to change out, lighter, rumble that actually serves a purpose in games, IR blaster, better motion detection)

And one set serves two players most of the time.

I initially balked at the pricing when it was released, but they are well-made, IMO.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Wow, okay. Well, that's why God invented grandparents I guess (if we find something that needs it). :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Definitely use the grandparents. On the bright side, I don't think anyone really needs four sets like you used to for the Wii. 2 should cover most households.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I cannot convince my stupid kids to ask me to get them Super Mario Odyssey for Christmas or Hanukkah this year.

So it's going on my list! It just looks too good to pass up, and that's from someone who's never played a Mario game (or any Nintendo game, for that matter). I think the Switch is going to become mine, as the two boys (9 and 14) gravitate more and more to XBOX.

Fine. By. Me. :D
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kurth wrote:never played ... any Nintendo game
:o

Get on that, stat!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:34 am
Kurth wrote:never played ... any Nintendo game
:o

Get on that, stat!
Yep. Planning on it. I need to give Zelda BotW a good shot, too.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
morlac

Post by morlac »

Catquest, is Pawsome!

No, Really.

It Is Catacular!

I bought it last week for my Daughter as it's an actiony RPG of Cats fighting Dragons. Her two favorite things! It plays out on a hand drawn game board like map where you can see towns, quest zones and monsters to attack. Combat is fairly simple but engaging non the less. You gain levels and can get better at magic or combat, etc. Standard stuff but a really well put together package. Its full of silly cat puns and charming. I now have my own game going along side hers. Recommend buy!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Cool, thanks.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Gentleman and Ladies, preapare your wallets as I present to you the Black Friday Switch list:

BEST BUY

Games

FIFA 18 -- $30
Cars 3: Driven to Win -- $30
Just Dance 2018 -- $30
The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ -- $30
Puyo Puyo Tetris -- $30
1-2-Switch -- $25
Sonic Forces -- $25
Super Bomberman R -- $25
Disgaea 5: Complete Edition -- $20
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 -- $20
Lego Ninjago Movie Video Game -- $20
Lego Worlds -- $20
Monopoly -- $20
Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition -- $20
RBI Baseball 17 -- $20
Minecraft: Story Mode - The Complete Adventure -- $15
Soldam: Drop, Connect, Erase -- $15

Hardware And Accessories

Golden Cappy coin FREE w/ purchase of Super Mario Odyssey
PowerA Joy-Con Charging Dock -- $20
PDP Switch Starter Kit -- $20
PowerA Plus Super Mario Edition Switch Pro Controller -- $20

WALMART

Games

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Special Edition $49
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle Day 1 Edition $30
Just Dance 2018 $30
1-2 Switch $30
NBA 2k18 $30
Fifa 18 $30
Lega Ninjago Movie $30
Sonic Forces $30

Hardware And Accessories

Nintendo Switch Wired Controllers $17

TARGET

Games

Super Bomberman R $35.00
Just Dance 2018 $30
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 $25
Rayman Legends Definitive Edition $25
LEGO Worlds $15

Ok, so not spectacular but some good deals in there. Those Just Dance games my daughter loves never seem to go on sale so yay! for me.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Damn. I'm afraid they'll all be in-store only, though.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
morlac

Post by morlac »

Skyrim reviews are rolling in and they are all really good. Was kinda hoping they wouldn't be as $60 for a 7 year old game I've played a bunch is hard to swallow. They praised it for how well it plays and looks and highlighted portability as making it worth the price of admission. Pretty much exactly what I was telling myself...Doh!

Edit: Forgot to Add about motion control. Apparently not as gimmicky as I thought. All the reviews loved the "rumble' for lockpicking and a bunch thought the motion controls really changed the gameplay and immersion. From one review:

Motion control magnificence

And that’s mainly thanks to one thing. By the nine divines, motion control is a revelation. Detaching the Joy Cons and docking the Switch into the TV lets me aim bows and spells as if I’m really there, sneaking through dungeons and running recklessly into bandit camps. See, you can control where your weapon (or lightning-filled hands) is pointing by charging up a spell or drawing an arrow. Squaring up an unaware Draugr from afar, there’s this delicious moment of suspense as I get it in my crosshairs with one outstretched, wavering hand. That advice you hear about holding you breath when you’re aiming? Turns out it’s just as useful in Skyrim as it is in real life.

Even in broad daylight with bandits in pursuit, after some practise motion controls allow me to quickly whip around and fire off a spell or arrow with a precision that would be impossible via a controller. Okay, mouse allows a hell of a lot more instinctive aiming that consoles do, but motion control trumps even that in terms of immersion. I feel like I’m there, desperately hoping my limbs obey my instructions. Just like I would in real life. And I do all that from my sofa.

Yep, picking it up tomorrow at lunch.
Last edited by morlac on Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:38 pm Damn. I'm afraid they'll all be in-store only, though.
Let me know if you want me to try and grab you something. I'd be happy to mail it for free from Santa ;)