Nioh

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Nioh

Post by coopasonic »

Nioh came out for PS4 as an exclusive back in February. It just released for PC last week as a complete edition. For those that aren't aware it is a Souls-like with a more japanese/samurai theme. In reality I would say it is a bit more of a Bloodborne-like because it doesn't have shields. The weapons it has are largely asian martial-arts-y and there is a wide variety and a metric ton of loot... way more loot than any Souls game. Way more.

Anyway, I have been playing the game like a fiend since it was released last week (steam shows 33.6 hours played, but that is inflated a bit because I left the game open a couple times through dinner and other chores).

If you like Souls-like games, you definitely should be giving this a try. If you like Souls-like games but find them too hard, I would also consider giving this a try. I am not sure how far I am into the game, but I feel like it is a little bit easier than Bloodborne or the Souls games. The common guys are definitely easier, the big guys are a little bit easier and the bosses are probably in the same neighborhood, with a good variety of boss moves. The big difference though, is in the navigation. Nioh is broken up into individual missions, so you won't spend hours just figuring out where you are supposed to go. There are still shortcuts to unlock in a mission area and some of them are confusing, but the path forward is never as hard to find as it is in a Souls game. If that has frustrated you, give Nioh a try!

There are a bunch of different systems and lots of look, so it is not at all simple, but I think most of it is explained much more clearly than I expected. The story on the other hand is totally JRPG WTF nonsense, though again, it's more clear than in a Souls game.

For GreenGoo, this is probably a little harder than The Surge so it might be a nice stepping stone now that you are an expert at combat. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Re: Nioh

Post by Octavious »

I have my eye on this, but need to get it on sale. I adore the Dark Souls series, but had a hard time getting into the faster paced (and no shields :( ) Bloodborne. I still keep on meaning to get back to it, but it never ends up happening.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Not coincidentally, I watched a trailer for it recently (probably when it was released on steam).

Added to my wishlist. It's too expensive for me right now.

Games that I think of when I see this game: Bayonetta/Nier: Automata.

Whether that's appropriate or not, I have no idea.

Dark Souls is still on my wishlist too, but it dropped in priority after awhile, and I don't think it has been on sale since I added it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Octavious wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:52 pm I have my eye on this, but need to get it on sale. I adore the Dark Souls series, but had a hard time getting into the faster paced (and no shields :( ) Bloodborne. I still keep on meaning to get back to it, but it never ends up happening.
Nioh is a lot more like Bloodborne than Dark Souls. I actually primarily play with one of the slower heavy hitting weapons, but I am dodging, not blocking.
GreenGoo wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:54 pm Not coincidentally, I watched a trailer for it recently (probably when it was released on steam).

Added to my wishlist. It's too expensive for me right now.

Games that I think of when I see this game: Bayonetta/Nier: Automata.

Whether that's appropriate or not, I have no idea.

Dark Souls is still on my wishlist too, but it dropped in priority after awhile, and I don't think it has been on sale since I added it.
I haven't played either Bayonetta or Nier: Automata so I can't say, but I can where the visuals are similar.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I finished the base game content yesterday. Steam says it took me 61 hours though some of that would have been distraction time. In game stats tell me I died 573 times over the course of the game. A lot of that was to the early bosses as I was figuring the game out. It is Souls-like but it is certainly not a Dark Souls game. The pace of combat is much faster. There are only a couple bigger than life bosses so not as much spectacle as the Souls games either.

Having the play area broken up into individual missions made the game a little easier to handle and little less exploration focused. It was a little annoying that maps were reused for some missions, but they always played out a little differently so it wasn't just a rehash. There was some variety in the landscape which was nice. There was also a reasonable amount of variety in the enemies.

There are probably about a dozen basic enemies and another dozen strong enemies and then a pretty nice variety of bosses. Each time you have the enemies figured out they throw something new at you. Late in the game some of the strong enemies can be beastly, but then again, at that point so is the player.

I like big, heavy hitting weapons so I mostly played with the Axe. The High stance Heavy attack was just brutal and had good range. The downside is that once you commit to the attack you are in it through the full thing and it is a LONG animation. It does epic damage though. :D

I did play around with other weapons including the Odachi, Spear, Sword and Kusarigama. They all felt very different and, with the three stances, the variety of moves is kind of insane. I'm pretty sure whatever you prefer you will find something that fits your preference here... I mean unless you want a shield. Then you are out of luck.

Oh and the loot, you will find a ridiculous amount of loot in the game and there are a ton of different bonuses and stats to try to understand. It's a souls-like in combat difficulty, but it's a diablo-like in loot. There are 5(?) armor slots (head, chest, legs, hands, feet), two melee weapon slots, two ranged weapon slots (each with two types of ammo), two accessory slots and a guardian spirit slot. Then by default you have eight item shortcuts, but you can unlock more.

If you find a piece of loot you like you can level it up at the blacksmith for money. You can also re-roll individual bonuses and transfer special bonuses between weapons. There are also set items where multiple pieces get you various bonuses. The armor comes in light, medium and heavy and your armor impacts your mobility. You WANT mobility.

I still think Bloodborne is my #1 Souls-like game, but I would put this in the neighborhood. After playing games like Nioh, Bloodborne and The Surge, the Dark Souls games feel boring to me. They are so monochromatic, slow moving and empty.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:58 pm I still think Bloodborne is my #1 Souls-like game, but I would put this in the neighborhood. After playing games like Nioh, Bloodborne and The Surge, the Dark Souls games feel boring to me. They are so monochromatic, slow moving and empty.
When I say monochromatic, slow moving and empty, I mean that in the most positive, artistic and endearing way.

But seriously you can't argue that point. It's not subjective.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's slow moving yes, but I actually love that about it. The battles are more about strategy and planning. Bloodborne I feel like I'm just fighting for my life every second. Empty? No I wouldn't agree with that at all.

I really should go back and give it another shot at some point. Eh, maybe when I hit 1,000 hours in PUBG. :lol:

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Octavious wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:17 pm Empty? No I wouldn't agree with that at all.
Perhaps "Barren" is more accurate.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I have about a zillion questions.

Let's start with a basic one. I vaguely recall that Dark Souls (I think) and the Surge had a mechanic that increased the amount of "currency" dropped as the amount of "currency" carried goes up. i.e. 10 souls means only a small amount of souls found. 1000 souls means a larger amount of souls found.

Does this work with Amrita in Nioh? Should I be carrying around as much Amrita as possible or should I spend it the moment I have enough to level up?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm sorry to say I have no idea. I never held onto souls for the multiplier in any of these games so it's not something I really paid attention to. It's been a year since I've played so I don't really remember a whole lot, other than I remember the gameplay pretty fondly.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It's going about as well as you might expect given my experiences in the Surge.

All the different weapon types means I have to learn all the different fighting styles because OCD.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, wtf. I can NOT find a definitive guide on weapon affixes. That can't be right, I must be using the wrong search terms or something. Also, everyone seems to just know what the affixes do, but some aren't intuitive and the ones that are, I'd like a clear explanation of anyway. I hate guessing what something does, even if the guess is probably correct.

Little help?

The entire community seems to just understand what these things mean, which makes me think that maybe they existed and are clearly defined in another game and the community has just moved over from that game with the knowledge intact and no need to discuss it in detail.

Annoyed.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

No help. I never saw anything I needed to see a definition for. These links might be helpful.

https://nioh.wiki.fextralife.com/Weapons
https://nioh.wiki.fextralife.com/Reforge
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, I'll bite. What does parry (critical) mean?

Separately, what constitutes a critical hit?

What's a final blow? How is it different from an attack on a knocked down opponent? Or is it?

What does attack change (magic) b+ mean?

Those are just a few off the top of my head.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Seeing the things you are asking and realizing I don't know the answers, I can say with reasonable confidence that I probably just stuck with using weapons where I could understand what was happening and ignored things I didn't understand. I don't recall googling much of anything. I used youtube to help me figure out boss fights where I couldn't figure out the weakness after a few attempts.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:46 am Seeing the things you are asking and realizing I don't know the answers, I can say with reasonable confidence that I probably just stuck with using weapons where I could understand what was happening and ignored things I didn't understand. I don't recall googling much of anything. I used youtube to help me figure out boss fights where I couldn't figure out the weakness after a few attempts.
You can absolutely do that, and I have been doing that.

The problem is that I like to understand exactly how game mechanics work in pretty much every game I play, AND that the game mechanics in this game are particularly and specifically designed to do...something. The crafting alone means you want to know what the affixes mean otherwise you have no idea if what you're crafting is something you want. That you can transfer some affixes from lower level items to higher level items means you probably want to know if it's worth the effort.

If I'm going to put in the time and effort to play this through to completion, I want to know what I'm doing. That the game systems are giving me a TON of information that I don't understand is particularly vexing to me.

For the record this one was a trick question: What does attack change (magic) b+ mean? because I already knew the answer, although I had to do some serious searching and reading through posts to find the answer. The answer is that the weapon damage scales based on your magic trait/score at a rate of B+. The scaling is measured on a scale (grrr) of D- to A+, with the letter grades meaning that it scales faster (i.e. has more impact to the value) at the A end of the scale as compared to the D end of the scale. A through D are just general values, with B being better than C and D being worse that C. The actual values change depending on (who the fuck knows?) things, so a an A+ scaling in one place might be 2x while an A+ on another thing might be 1.8x. A D might be 1.4x or 1.2x or some other value that's low compared to A+ values.

Weapons typically scale from more physical attributes, but a weapon that scales with magic (in addition to the default attribute scaling) is a weapon that you might want if you put a lot of points into magic and few into body/stamina/strength/whatever.

Which weapons scale from which attributes and at what rates are pretty clearly documented in the community. Which is good, but those values are inherent in the weapon type (1h sword vs axe vs scythe and chain (kurisomething)) I'm not there yet though because I can't even figure out what the weapon affixes mean. It would be like if you were a thief in D&D and knew that short swords worked best for your character but you had absolutely no idea what the +1 meant on a short sword +1.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Don't get me started on the status effect icons below your health bar. Sometimes they're buffs, sometimes they're debuffs, sometimes they're weapon effects. Who the fuck knows?

I just had a yellow timed status effect that looked like a solid gold flame wrapped around a gold disk. What is it? Who knows? Nothing on my gear seems to indicate anything, and it didn't come from the target because I backstabbed that guy to death and he never swung at me, let alone hit me.

At a guess, and it's a very, very loose guess, I'd say it has to do with amrita in some way. More amrita? Less? Amrita from criticals (whatever those are)? Who knows?!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Here's another weapon affix: Ki damage (enemy saturated). Oh wait, there's a help button. Let's use that. Help: Increased Ki damage against saturated enemies. orly? That's helpful, help button. Thanks.

I know what Ki damage is. Wtf is a saturated enemy? I might guess it's a broken enemy (i.e. out of Ki) but then why would you want to do increased Ki damage to an enemy with no Ki? It wouldn't do anything.

Gah.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Is it bad when you can look down into a cavern and see a sea of revenant graves? I'm thinking...yes.

Also, the previous status effect appears even when I hit crates and boxes, and even when I switch out both weapons for 2 new weapons (edit: I have absolutely no idea what is going on), so I'm thinking it's either coming from my armor/amulets or from a passive skill that I bought yesterday that I don't remember. I don't see anything new on my armor or amulets, so it's probably a skill. Which one? Who knows. Now I've got to sift through all the skills to see if there is a passive that might be from a different weapon type that works on all weapons. Maybe.

edit: It triggers when I Ki pulse, even when I ki pulse poorly. Probably a new skill. Let's find out. edit: But only if I hit something first? Maybe? Boxes/crates *don't* trigger it, I don't think. Edit: it's definitely *not* increased weapon damage after perfect Ki pulse skill. I know what that icon looks like (and of course it looks different depending on which stance you're in, because reasons).

edit: Lol, I see I'm not getting most of the bonuses from my spirit animal because I need the spirit attribute raised before they kick in, and I have never put any points into spirit. My spirit is the bird thingy, if that makes a difference. Damn it.

edit: Damn it, there are multiple screens under "status" that you can access using RB/LB. One of these screens lists all the bonuses that you have. I'm going to see if the status effect shows up here. Will screen shot before and after so I don't have to "speed read" the screen. I'm slow. You can also see your weapon proficiencies here. I don't know what weapon proficiencies are, since familiarity is proficiency I thought, but whatever. Edit: No dice. Screenshots show no change in status effects while status icon is active.

edit: Figured it out! It triggers when I receive amrita. I have 1 piece of armor that has "Bonus for absorbing amrita (boost amrita gauge). So I'm thinking while the effect is active I either increase the rate the gauge in the upper left corner goes up, or...something. I noticed that while using my spirit weapon the gauge actually increased for some reason. I'm thinking that's related to either this thing or maybe I have something else that extends the spirit animal gauge when something happens (possibly a kill, maybe something else). It sure is fun trying to figure out what is happening, and it's especially fun when the game is trying to tell you things are happening, but you have no idea what language it speaks.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 9 times in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Don't read me wrong, the game is amazing. I just want to know what's going on.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I keep on eyeing this game, but never pull the trigger. No idea why lol. It's super cheap right now and still I'm on the fence.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

If you like souls-like games (I know you like dark souls), this is an awesome one. It helps if you like Japanese weaponry/samurai/Japanese demons (yokai). Combat can be as intricate or straightforward as you like.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I should be all over this like white on rice. I've been in such a gaming funk as of late. I stared at the steam sale for like 2 hours to see if there's anything I wanted to play. :lol:

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Goo, you should talk to Cort. He played this quite a bit.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Freyland wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:27 pm Goo, you should talk to Cort. He played this quite a bit.
Yeah, I will.

Vampire woman down for the count. I think she's only the second main storyline boss, but I found her a bit easier than twin cannon ball dude. I suspect it's just because I'm getting more familiar and comfortable with the controls and game mechanics, but either way, another boss finished.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I thought parrying was a challenge in Dark Souls. Geezus, this game is punishing. The timing is crazy for anything but slow attacks with slow weapons. I realize I'm an old man, but good lord.

Every weapon and attack requires different timing, which isn't unexpected, but each weapon that you parry with has a different timing compared to every other, which just adds to the complexity. Plus, I'm slow. Did I mention that? Plus, I have no idea *when* I'm supposed to parry with most weapons vs most weapons, so it's a total crap shoot, and that's after watching a number of parrying videos.

I can just about regularly parry the odachi and high attacks from katanas. Almost.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Up next, Lightning Cat thingy.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:41 pm I thought parrying was a challenge in Dark Souls. Geezus, this game is punishing. The timing is crazy for anything but slow attacks with slow weapons. I realize I'm an old man, but good lord.

Every weapon and attack requires different timing, which isn't unexpected, but each weapon that you parry with has a different timing compared to every other, which just adds to the complexity. Plus, I'm slow. Did I mention that? Plus, I have no idea *when* I'm supposed to parry with most weapons vs most weapons, so it's a total crap shoot, and that's after watching a number of parrying videos.

I can just about regularly parry the odachi and high attacks from katanas. Almost.
This dropped it into the under 20 dollar range for me. I'm terrible at parrying in any game that includes it. So ya no.. Instead I spend 4 hours modding Skyrim. I will spend more timing modding it than actually playing it, but I guess that's kind of fun in a sadistic kind of way. :mrgreen:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Umi Bozu level is a bit of a maze, but it's fairly rewarding if you explore it.

Took me too long to figure out how to deal with the mini-Umi's, and falling in the water was always a danger, but I think I've got it just about fully explored. Now for Umi Bozu!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So my parrying is coming along. I've managed to parry "in the wild" while playing, rather than just parry practice vs a bad guy near a shrine, but that was with the katana, the easiest weapon to parry with.

I'm practicing with the dual katanas, and it's a bit trickier although I can do it vs humans fairly regularly. It has a basic block and riposte, which isn't a parry at all really, then what I'll call a pass through and stab in the back parry, which is a bit tough but effective. Like I said, I can do it vs humans pretty regularly. Well I'm practicing vs a human skeleton, and I can't get it to go off no matter what I do. I switch to single katana, bam, bam, bam, parry, parry, parry, no problem. Back to duals, nothing. I switch to the spear and its twirl parry and nothing again. The fact that the timings are different not just for different weapons attacking, but for different weapons doing the parrying is brutal. That the "window" of parrying opportunity is so small is also brutal. This is just a skeleton with a katana, it should be no different than a human with a katana, which I can regularly parry using duals. Usually I'm too slow but this thing has a wind up that will give axes a run for their money, so I'm pretty sure I don't need to go faster, I just need to find the frame(s) in the forward swing that allow parrying. There are actually a few frames where I literally twirl the spear around the sword as it comes in. I don't parry but I don't get hit either. Not like I have iframes, but more like the twirl animation moves me just enough to avoid the swinging sword. It's looks bizarre, like I'm so good I'm playing with him, twirling my spear point around his sword like I'm too good for him, and then he misses me. Where are the parry frames damn it.

So frustrating. Maybe it's just my old man reflexes, but good lord.

Yes I know you can do the whole game without parrying. I rarely block and prefer positioning to defense, but I want to master this skill damn it!

edit: yeah, I don't get it. I can parry repeatedly with the katana vs skeletons with katanas or spears. The moment I switch to a different weapon it all comes apart. It is understood that the katana is the easiest weapon to parry with, but I have yet to parry even once with duals vs katana/spear skeletons. It's like it's not possible, but since you can parry with a katana there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to use other weapons' parries.

edit: I'm starting to see inconclusive claims that the kusarigama parry doesn't work on skeletons. If that's true then I need to slap some of the developers around. We shouldn't have to guess at which weapons can parry which opponents, especially when some weapons work and some don't. The kusarigama parry is basically a judo throw where you flip the person over your back and they land prone, and I guess they didn't bother to put in animations for skeletons? Skeletons fall apart as they go prone, then pull back together when they get up. Maybe that's the problem? Anyway, I just wasted hours trying to do things that possibly can't be done. The spear parry knocks your opponent to the ground as well. The dual katanas too, although it's more of a falling down. There is no reason the regular skeleton going prone animation wouldn't work here, I think. The katana one does not. I have been unable to parry using the first 3 vs skeletons, but I have with the last. I think it's possible it has to do with the parry animation/falling down. I wish I didn't have to perform experiments to figure out how a game system works. :(
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The Battle of Ohashi Bridge.

Fuck that guy.

That is all.

edit: and his little friends too.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Next up, Yuki Onna.

Fuck her too.

Edit: I'm not saying how many tries it took. Quite a few weren't "real" tries, but enough of them were that I'm still not tellin'.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just quoting this from my play through in case it makes you feel better:
coopasonic wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:58 pm I finished the base game content yesterday. Steam says it took me 61 hours though some of that would have been distraction time. In game stats tell me I died 573 times over the course of the game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:26 am Just quoting this from my play through in case it makes you feel better:
coopasonic wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:58 pm I finished the base game content yesterday. Steam says it took me 61 hours though some of that would have been distraction time. In game stats tell me I died 573 times over the course of the game.
Every 13.4 minutes.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sounds too infrequent.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

With distraction time, it might have been under 10 minutes per active playtime.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:20 am Sounds too infrequent.
Lol, that was my thought exactly.

I'm fairly sure that if I actually finish the game, 573 deaths will be a drop in the bucket.

I haven't been looking bosses up much, and I'm a slow learner I'm realising, AND my reflexes are starting to go I'm starting to notice, so...yeah.

I'm also incredibly stubborn and I refuse to use consumables while learning a new boss/yokai, which means imma gonna die. A lot. I'd use my ninjutsu if I had anything decent, or my onmyo, but again, not heavily invested in that tree.

So without active healing or ninja/spells/other consumables, well, you can imagine how well that works. Just me and whatever weapon I recently found and want to build familiarity with.

I have over 10 samurai/ninja/onmyo points just sitting there, gathering dust. I use what recently acquired weapons I've found, so if that means a giant hammer, so be it. Which means my samurai points are all over the place so I have at least some moves for each weapon type.

Writing this out I realize even more just how much I hamstring myself with my house rules, but I think I still prefer to play this way. Except for the extra skill points. I'll need to find them a home asap.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Every new boss, NPC duel or mission specific Revenant is the absolute worst...

...until the next one, which then becomes the absolute worst.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

You know what would be challenging and good game design but in no way a cheap and easy way to make things difficult for the player? What if we put him in a box with a boss that takes up most of the room in the box, then have the boss constantly aoe, and if the player is still alive, have the boss fire off 2 cone shaped attacks that reach from 1 corner of the box to the opposite corner, but have the first one go into the left corner as well, then the second one go into the right corner, covering all the corners. Sometimes switch it up because he might catch on to the order of things.

What, some players are still doing ok? What if we put protuberances alone the edges of the box, so if he's strafing he will get stuck on those, pinning him in place while the camera angle prevents him from seeing what he's stuck on? Sound good? Let's try that.