XBox One X (formerly Scorpio)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

disarm

Re: XBox One X (formerly Scorpio)

Post by disarm »

I've held off so far in hopes that they'll do some kind of bundle for the holidays. I have a 55" Samsung 4K already in place for when the day comes though.. M
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Mine arrived today. I'm finishing up moving games from my One S to an external hard drive, then I'll set up the X tomorrow.

Can't wait to play more games in 4K and HDR.
Hodor.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Didn't want to start a new thread and wasn't sure where else to ask, so I'll ask here.
Is this https://www.walmart.com/co/Xbox-One-S-B ... e/52110214
a good deal?
I currently have a original PS3 and the blu ray player is dying.
I don't play a ton of console games and I'd probably lean towards a PS4 for $200 on Black Friday unless this deal is way more worth it.
Last edited by stimpy on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I have the S version like in the link, and I have no issues with it. It's not the spiffiest thing that just came out, but it's better than the launch version. I play it on my 4k (non-HDR) tv and it looks purty.

The PS4 would probably serve your needs just as well, especially if you don't have or expect to buy a 4k tv in the near future. And part of it, of course, is which console's exclusives and/or with whom you want to MP (if any) with.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I found this Gamespot review helpful in choosing between the S and X. The last paragraph lays out the value propisition for each group.
Should you get an Xbox One X? That answer should largely depend on whether you'd be happy with the console's library of games. You can check out a list of all the Xbox One X-enhanced games here. If you're happy with the lineup and are thinking about jumping in, allow me to outline three different scenarios for you. If you game on a 1080p TV and don't have any plans to upgrade to a 4K one, the Xbox One S is going to be a better fit for you. While you will get some graphical enhancements with the X, you don't really get your money's worth if you don't have a 4K HDR TV. But what if you already own a 4K HDR TV and an Xbox One? In this case, I'd only recommend getting the X if you have the disposable cash to spare for the increased visual fidelity and performance benefits. If you have a 4K HDR TV, don't have a current gen console, and are looking to purchase one, however, the Xbox One X is a great choice.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

stimpy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:33 pm Didn't want to start a new thread and wasn't sure where else to ask, so I'll ask here.
Is this https://www.walmart.com/co/Xbox-One-S-B ... e/52110214
a good deal?
I currently have a original PS3 and the blu ray player is dying.
I don't play a ton of console games and I'd probably lean towards a PS4 for $200 on Black Friday unless this deal is way more worth it.
I'm in your exact situation. PS3 (original version!) still running strong, but will be upgrading the TV soon to 4K, HDR, and will move this PS3 to a different room (as long as it still lives).

Since PS3 games won't work on PS4, that really opens me up to being completely ambivalent about which new gen console to get. Crazy strategy by Sony if you ask me. If the PS4 could play PS3 games, I would absolutely be getting a PS4 next, no questions or research done prior.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

If I'm researching correctly, it seems the PS4 surprisingly doesnt have a 4K Blu-ray player, making the XBOX One S deal even more attractive.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

True, with the S they switched to a UHD Blu-ray drive... but for me it's a non-issue as I have zero intention of buying anything in that format. :snooty:

:P
-mf
stessier

Post by stessier »

The Xbox One X will play all games labeled for Xbox One, right? No special labeling I should look for?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:29 pm The Xbox One X will play all games labeled for Xbox One, right? No special labeling I should look for?
Correct. The One X is just a more powerful XBox One.

I've only really played CoD:WWII on it so far, but the game loads much faster than it did even on my One S (I drop into a MP match before anyone else, and even before the countdown timer starts), and the game looks better than it did on the S (and the S even allowed the HDR effects to be enabled). It's a definite improvement.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Since the only one I've ever owned is the original XBox, I look forward to the changes. :)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I was beginning to think I had made a mistake with buying this to be my blu-ray player after Forbes reported that it was really a piss-poor HDR blu-ray player. But MS says a fix is coming.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hentzau wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:34 pm I was beginning to think I had made a mistake with buying this to be my blu-ray player after Forbes reported that it was really a piss-poor HDR blu-ray player. But MS says a fix is coming.
I never noticed anything off with the 4K player in the One S I owned, but apparently this update puts the 4K player in the One X in line with the better stand alone machines on the market. That's splendid news.
Hodor.
Enough

Post by Enough »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:30 pm
hentzau wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:34 pm I was beginning to think I had made a mistake with buying this to be my blu-ray player after Forbes reported that it was really a piss-poor HDR blu-ray player. But MS says a fix is coming.
I never noticed anything off with the 4K player in the One S I owned, but apparently this update puts the 4K player in the One X in line with the better stand alone machines on the market. That's splendid news.
I am in the Omega beta ring (the lowest one anyone can get) and received the update yesterday and it blessedly has fixed the UHD playback issue. I again have nice blacks! I am amazed it had such a basic problem but am glad to see MS quickly and transparently fixed it.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

When I bought this PS3, I was heavily following A/V news at the time, and all the guys on the AVS forum were screaming to buy the PS3 for the excellent BR player in it alone (which was the only reason I bought it). Apparently Sony put a lot of their dev money into that component, even losing money on it initially, to spread BR usage.

Now, though, with 4K streaming available from multiple places, I am not as keen on whether or not my future PS3 replacement has the latest and greatest physical media player or not. As long as I can play the existing few Blu rays I have, I will be fine. I don't see me buying many more physical disks, no matter the format.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

4K UHD (aka HDR enabled) Blu Rays look superior to any 4K HDR content I've seen on Netflix.

Also, data caps - 4K content is HUGE in terms of the amount of data consumed in an hour.
Hodor.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:06 pm 4K UHD (aka HDR enabled) Blu Rays look superior to any 4K HDR content I've seen on Netflix.

Also, data caps - 4K content is HUGE in terms of the amount of data consumed in an hour.
on the xBox One X, or just a 4k BR player?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Enough

Post by Enough »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:06 pm 4K UHD (aka HDR enabled) Blu Rays look superior to any 4K HDR content I've seen on Netflix.

Seeing the remastered Blade Runner on UHD disk is easily one of the peak home theater experiences I've ever had. Streaming will not have the same wrapper to carry across the same 18gbs that the current hdmi standard allows. It's funny because last Christmas I bought the first TV I ever spent my own money on (besides Goodwill used CRT-style TV) and got a 4k and now bought the first game console I've ever spent my own money own. It's like I am a decade late to the super fun cool party. Best Buy just last week was shrinking their Xbox area (probably digital sales are hurting them) and nobody is interested in physical media anymore. Regardless, I am having a blast with this stuff!

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm on the same upgrade plan as you! Last Christmas a 55" 4K UHD with HDR TV. This Christmas, the XboX and Switch (although I did have a Wii that I bought and an original Xbox that was a gift). It really is a wonderful time to jump in - all the kinks have been worked out. :D
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:25 pm

I would assume on any 4K BR player, even the X once its issues get resolved.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:47 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:25 pm

I would assume on any 4K BR player, even the X once its issues get resolved.
I think off of a disc, 4K HDR is 18.8 GB/hr. Netflix says 4K HDR streams are 7-10 GB/hr. Either way, it's a lot.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Is there one must play game for the Xbox for someone who hasn't had one since the original Xbox? I'm not in to multiplayer and only like Football in the sports category, but I'm open to all other genres.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:36 pm Is there one must play game for the Xbox for someone who hasn't had one since the original Xbox? I'm not in to multiplayer and only like Football in the sports category, but I'm open to all other genres.
Grand Theft Auto 5.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Red Dead Redemption. The sequel is what will have me purchase a new Xbox if it doesn't come to PC.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:45 pm
stessier wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:36 pm Is there one must play game for the Xbox for someone who hasn't had one since the original Xbox? I'm not in to multiplayer and only like Football in the sports category, but I'm open to all other genres.
Grand Theft Auto 5.
Well, if you got the xBox One x and have a 4k+HDR TV, I'd probably recommend something off of the xBox One X enhanced list, as long as it's available now (some are still "in development").

For Single Player, maybe Assassin's Creed: Origins, Gears of War 4, rise of the Tomb Raider or the enhanced version of LA Noire. (i haven't tried any yet - just Wolfenstein 2)

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:57 pm
pr0ner wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:45 pm
Grand Theft Auto 5.
Well, if you got the xBox One x and have a 4k+HDR TV, I'd probably recommend something off of the xBox One X enhanced list, as long as it's available now (some are still "in development").

For Single Player, maybe Assassin's Creed: Origins, Gears of War 4, rise of the Tomb Raider or the enhanced version of LA Noire. (i haven't tried any yet - just Wolfenstein 2)
Actually, that brings up a good point.

Stessier, which XBox are you buying? And do you have a 4K + HDR TV?
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Sorry - I got the Xbox One X because I do indeed have a 4k HDR TV.

I've never played a Call of Duty game but they say WWII version is supposed to be beautiful in HDR. Does that have any single player potential? Or split screen since I have an almost teenager I could play with.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Have you been playing a lot of cross-platform titles on the PC? If not, that'd add quite a few more must-play games to the list.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:31 pm Sorry - I got the Xbox One X because I do indeed have a 4k HDR TV.

I've never played a Call of Duty game but they say WWII version is supposed to be beautiful in HDR. Does that have any single player potential? Or split screen since I have an almost teenager I could play with.
Call of Duty WWII does look great in 4K and HDR.

Gears of War 4 and Halo 5 are also supposed to be exemplary in that format.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

wonderpug wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:33 pm Have you been playing a lot of cross-platform titles on the PC? If not, that'd add quite a few more must-play games to the list.
No. It's pretty safe to assume I haven't played anything made in the last decade.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:31 pm Sorry - I got the Xbox One X because I do indeed have a 4k HDR TV.

You may wish to get a sports game for split-screen, or maybe Forza 7.

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

stessier wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:33 pm
wonderpug wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:33 pm Have you been playing a lot of cross-platform titles on the PC? If not, that'd add quite a few more must-play games to the list.
No. It's pretty safe to assume I haven't played anything made in the last decade.
In that case, you really need to consider:
  • Tomb Raider (2013) - great reboot to the franchise
  • The Witcher 3, great RPG
  • Dishonored 1 and/or 2, particularly if you ever liked playing the Thief games back in the day
  • Forza or Forza Horizon, if you like racing games
  • XCOM 2
  • Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor - open world game in Middle Earth
  • Wolfenstein or sequel
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
Lots of good smaller indie games out there, too, if that's your cup of tea. I loved Firewatch, Steamworld Dig, Shovel Knight, Inside, Stardew Valley, Cuphead,
stessier

Post by stessier »

Thanks for the list!

I've never played any of those games - or any version of them! Well, not entirely true - I played Wolfenstein back in 1993-ish...and I finally got the original X-COM around 2004. I haven't even played a Madden game - was a 2k player when we had the option.

I've played a lot of StarCraft, Borderlands, Civilization, and Diablo though. Not that I don't like other things, just never had much money for games and I could play those for many, many, many hours without getting bored.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Oh man. I've poured SO MANY hours into Diablo 3 on my XBox One since I've gotten it, and that's after playing the PC version too.

It doesn't have HDR support, but it does have 4K through the XBox Enhanced thing.
Hodor.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I'm a couple chapters into Gears of War 4 in 4K HDR on my 55" Samsung 9000 series tv and it's pretty impressive. I'm playing with the high quality visuals as opposed to standard visuals at 60fps, and the overall image sharpness, texture detail, and colors are significantly better than anything I've seen on a console before. I didn't try GoW4 prior to having the One X, but I know no other game that I've played on the regular Xbox One comes close.

The difference is striking enough that I can't wait to see more 4K HDR games and am really looking forward to the Destiny 2 upgrade when it hits. The bright colors and various graphical effects in that game should look fantastic.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Ugh. Loved the X until tonight. Fire up the console and what?? It only shows 4 of my Xbox games installed out of my library of 51 games I had installed. I am on craptastic internet, that represents at least two weeks of downloading games. Over an hour with tech support to only try the two most basic things: hard power cycle and refresh profile. Games obviously still on hdd taking space but 47 show needing installs. Their solution is to send console in for a repair or do a factory reset and re-download all the games (that are already on the damn hard drive). I thought consoles were supposed to be easier than PC gaming?

Enough

Post by Enough »

Just and update that it was a beta update that apparently fubar'd my external drive being correctly detected. I will be moving to a different hdd that can be seen by the X (The last one used to work, and still does on Windows. Absolutely nobody's solutions online will make the X detect it again) and have to redownload everything. Even leaving the beta did not make it see the drive again, arggg.

stessier

Post by stessier »

Does the Xbox One X come with a optical audio cable in the box or do I have to buy one separately? Hmmmm, do I even have to connect via optical cable? My receiver doesn't pass through 4k, so I'm connecting the Xbox directly to the TV via HDMI then I'll connect audio from Xbox to the receiver. Guess it could be standard cabling at that point.

So new question, anyone know what audio cables are included in the box? :)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:45 am Does the Xbox One X come with a optical audio cable in the box or do I have to buy one separately? Hmmmm, do I even have to connect via optical cable? My receiver doesn't pass through 4k, so I'm connecting the Xbox directly to the TV via HDMI then I'll connect audio from Xbox to the receiver. Guess it could be standard cabling at that point.

So new question, anyone know what audio cables are included in the box? :)
So Destructoid just got its Xbox One X hardware for review (which is coming later), and yep, it's a box.

Inside this unassuming 1TB model is the actual unit (which is roughly the same size as the Xbox One S, just a smidgen smaller), the power cable, HDMI cable, standard controller (with AA batteries), an insert for a nominal amount of Xbox Live Gold and Game Pass time, and an instruction manual.
No dedicated audio cable.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

When I had to run my two consoles directly to the TV for the same reason, I picked up a digital audio cable from monoprice.com, while I could have grabbed one locally from someplace like Best Buy they were stupid expensive. :evil:
-mf