Harvey Weinstein (and assorted horrible people)... RIP career.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

GreenGoo

Re: Harvey Weinstein... RIP career.

Post by GreenGoo »

While they might be better at controlling their outward appearance, there is no reason to believe they are any better at controlling their physiological responses.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I smell a grant application.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

:D
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:27 pm While they might be better at controlling their outward appearance, there is no reason to believe they are any better at controlling their physiological responses.
I guess if he is a good method actor then he can convince himself that he didn't do what he was accused to and can pass the test.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:30 pm And I wonder if actors are better at passing polygraphs when lying than normal folks. It's all about measuring bodily responses to stress; it seems that something actors have to manage and deal with all the time.
He knew the questions and ergo the answers. He studied the script, rehearsed his role and nailed it.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:29 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:27 pm While they might be better at controlling their outward appearance, there is no reason to believe they are any better at controlling their physiological responses.
I guess if he is a good method actor then he can convince himself that he didn't do what he was accused to and can pass the test.
First, what method is applicable to the character "not guilty of sexual assault"? i.e. what particular traits does one take on for that role? "not guilty" isn't a role.

Second, you say that like that can control their physiological responses. What do you base that on?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:38 am
First, what method is applicable to the character "not guilty of sexual assault"? i.e. what particular traits does one take on for that role? "not guilty" isn't a role.

Second, you say that like that can control their physiological responses. What do you base that on?
A good actor can also control their emotional responses. They can become genuinely angry, or sad, or nervous.

Besides, the best way to fool a polygraph isn't to come across as 'not guilty', it is to come across as lying on every question. You break the baseline, you break the test.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:30 pm And I wonder if actors are better at passing polygraphs when lying than normal folks. It's all about measuring bodily responses to stress; it seems that something actors have to manage and deal with all the time.
It's also junk "science" that doesn't require a real degree to conduct, just a certification. Anytime I see 'polygraph' in anything, I roll my eyes. You just have to understand how they achieve "results" to defeat it.

... but it makes people who should know better feel a little safer, so it's okay, right?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Maybe, just maybe, he didn't actually do it.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

McNutt wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:25 am Maybe, just maybe, he didn't actually do it.
Yes, but the test didn't prove that he didn't do it.

It is also not up to the accused to prove he is not guilty. The accusers are the ones that have to prove that he is guilty.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I agree. That doesn't seem what's happening here though.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Paingod wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:21 am
It's also junk "science" that doesn't require a real degree to conduct, just a certification. Anytime I see 'polygraph' in anything, I roll my eyes. You just have to understand how they achieve "results" to defeat it.

... but it makes people who should know better feel a little safer, so it's okay, right?
I don't know about actors, but there are concerns that certain types of sociopaths/psychopaths can pass a polygraph with no trouble; if deception doesn't bother you (i.e. you feel neither guilt nor fear of exposure), there are no physiological reactions to detect.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Working link
I’ve recently had a number of difficult conversations that have been very painful for me. It’s never easy to face your missteps, but it’s the only way to learn from them. As a result, I’ve been giving a lot of thought to the leader I am today compared to the mentor, advocate and champion I want to be. It’s been brought to my attention that I have made some of you feel disrespected or uncomfortable. That was never my intent. Collectively, you mean the world to me, and I deeply apologize if I have let you down. I especially want to apologize to anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of an unwanted hug or any other gesture they felt crossed the line in any way, shape, or form. No matter how benign my intent, everyone has the right to set their own boundaries and have them respected.
My hope is that a six-month sabbatical will give me the opportunity to start taking better care of myself, to recharge and be inspired, and ultimately return with the insight and perspective I need to be the leader you deserve.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:14 pm
Paingod wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:21 am

I don't know about actors, but there are concerns that certain types of sociopaths/psychopaths can pass a polygraph with no trouble; if deception doesn't bother you (i.e. you feel neither guilt nor fear of exposure), there are no physiological reactions to detect.
Let’s not make everyone accused of something in this current environment into Hannibal Lecter.

Piven can come across as a jerk, but I think there’s enough evidence that his accuser may be just trying to cash in on the very real troubles of others. He should sue if he’s innocent. Anyone who lies about something like this makes it all the harder for those who really were victims to get justice.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

John Lasseter and Charlie Rose? No one is off limits at this point. Wow. Oprah is next. Then Jimmy Fallon. Then Andy Richter.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

http://www.joemygod.com/2017/11/21/chri ... ity-audio/

Found the next pedobear.

When you hesitate about a 30 year old dating a 10 year old...
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Time to sanitize our media:
A MOTHER has asked her son’s school to take ‘Sleeping Beauty’ off the curriculum for its "inappropriate sexual" message.

Mother-of-two Sarah Hall, from Northumberland Park, says the fairytale promotes unacceptable behaviour which should not be read to young children.

She argued it teaches children that it is ok to kiss a woman while she’s asleep, which she says is not acceptable.

Ms Hall was reading a school book with her son, Ben, six, which was based on the traditional story.
She said she is worried about what message the tale, which features a Prince waking up a Princess by kissing her, sends to impressionable youngsters.

The 40-year-old left a comment in her son’s record book, and contacted the school to ask if books featuring it could be taken out of circulation for younger classes.

She said: “In today’s society, it isn’t appropriate - my son is only six, he absorbs everything he sees, and it isn’t as if I can turn it into a constructive conversation.
Ms Hall said she might not have given the story a second thought, but recent coverage of sexual abuse and consent, including the social media ‘Me Too’ campaign, made her think about the subtle messages which, say says, help create a culture where consent is not seen as important.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Wait until she reads the original story. There was more than a kiss.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:19 pm Wait until she reads the original story. There was more than a kiss.
Wtf is wrong with German people (I'm assuming)?

edit: Fixed line, but not originator. Don't worry about it.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

French
The version collected by the Brothers Grimm was an orally transmitted version of the originally literary tale published by Charles Perrault in Histoires ou contes du temps passé in 1697.[1] This in turn was based on Sun, Moon, and Talia by Italian poet Giambattista Basile (published posthumously in 1634), which was in turn based on one or more folk tales. The earliest known version of the story is found in the narrative Perceforest, composed between 1330 and 1344 and first printed in 1528.
Perceforest
The anonymous prose romance of Perceforest with lyrical interludes of poetry, in six books, appears to have been composed in French in the Low Countries between 1330 and 1344.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That's a shame. Mostly because it doesn't allow me to use my mostest favouritest south park line.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

So according to this woman... Disney is promoting a rape culture???

I'm just thinking your 6 year old completely misses the detailed circumstances under which it might be OK to kiss a sleeping woman (she has been poisoned and will sleep for all eternity) and only catches on the idea that it's OK to kiss a sleeping woman (under any circumstances?) - your 6 your old may have already had some bad ideas in his head.

Unless she's stating that she's concerned her 6 year old may stumble across a female that has been poisoned and will sleep for all eternity - and might kiss her?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:07 am Unless she's stating that she's concerned her 6 year old may stumble across a female that has been poisoned and will sleep for all eternity - and might kiss her?
Ask Uma Thurman what happens to women who are asleep and unable to wake up.

In any case, you're going to have extremists on both sides of any issue. Shrug.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Danny Masterson
Last week, The Daily Beast published a statement from Chrissie Carnell Bixler, one of at least four women who is accusing the actor Danny Masterson of rape.

Bixler, 39, alleges that when she reported her rape to officials at the Church of Scientology, which at the time counted her and Masterson as members, she was “made to feel like I didn’t matter,” and was told that she couldn’t have been raped by a man she was in a relationship with.
But Bixler will remain silent no more. “I’m going to be an amazing woman who will NOT shut my mouth when I find out my rapist raped countless other women. I will not shut my mouth when Netflix tries to make us feel like we don’t matter. We DO matter. We ARE important. We will see justice for what was done to us, and is continuing to be done to us,” she wrote.

Masterson, 41, is a prominent Scientologist who currently stars in and produces the Netflix series The Ranch, alongside his longtime pal (and former That 70’s Show co-star) Ashton Kutcher. Though the streaming service took swift action after disturbing allegations emerged against stars Kevin Spacey (House of Cards) and Louis C.K. (Louis C.K. 2017), severing ties with both, it has refrained from doing so with Masterson. “We are aware of the allegations and the subsequent investigation, and will respond if developments occur,” Netflix said in a statement. The Ranch Part 4 is set to premiere on Dec. 15, while Part 5 is currently filming.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Matt Lauer was fired from NBC's Today show this morning over "inappropriate sexual behavior".
NBC News said Wednesday that it has fired Matt Lauer over “inappropriate sexual behavior,” making the “Today” show star the latest high-profile man to become embroiled in workplace harassment allegations.

In a staff memo, NBC News chairman Andrew Lack said the network received “a detailed” complaint about Lauer Monday night. “It represented, after serious review, a clear violation of our company’s standards. As a result, we’ve decided to terminate his employment.”

Lack added: “While it is the first complaint about his behavior in the over twenty years he’s been at NBC News, we were also presented with reason to believe this may not have been an isolated incident.”
Hodor.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I'm just going to go ahead and get it out there.

Once years ago while in Colorado on business Chris Grenard invited me out for a drink, which I accepted.

Shortly after he touched me.

#metoo

:geek:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Go away.
Hodor.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Andy Rubin taking leave of absence from Essential. Had a relationship with an underling at Google and it wasn't routed to Google so one of them could be transferred.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

It must have been a pretty serious allegation with a lot to substantiate it for them to move so swiftly on Lauer. We'll get details soon I'm sure.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

McNutt wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:51 am It must have been a pretty serious allegation with a lot to substantiate it for them to move so swiftly on Lauer. We'll get details soon I'm sure.
This is my take as well. They said it was one accuser but with sufficient evidence that it was a pattern of behavior. It's my understanding that the Today Show is one of the most profitable shows on TV, and Lauer was the main host on it. TV execs wouldn't move that quickly if it wasn't serious.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

If they move too quickly they open themselves up to a MAJOR lawsuit from Lauer. What they had on him must have been pretty damn solid and egregious.

This just in - I apparently had no idea how to spell "egregious."
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It looks like there were stories in Variety and The New York Times that were being researched that NBC new about, so with the official complaint being filed on Monday, that's probably the corroboration that this is not an isolated incident they needed.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Lauer did something to somebody at the Sochi Olympics.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Garrison Keillor
Garrison Keillor, the former host of “A Prairie Home Companion,” says he’s been fired by Minnesota Public Radio over allegations of improper behavior.

Keillor told The Associated Press of his firing in an email. In a follow-up statement, he says he was fired over “a story that I think is more interesting and more complicated than the version MPR heard.”
Will it be told by a cast of theater actors and an accompanying bluegrass band?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Garrison Keillor, come on down, you're the next contestant on "You're Fired".

This comes one day after he wrote a WaPo oped saying the idea of Al Franken resigning is absurd.

Beaten by Isgrimnur for the first link, but not the second!
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lower-case: bam.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:06 pm Lower-case: bam.
:lol:
Hodor.