Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: Random randomness

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:30 pm I feel theres a trend of driving getting worse among the population.
Hmmm. I find with the exception of the ubiquity of cell phone using drivers (and it's a large exception) driving is getting better among the population. I assumed it was because kids are waiting longer to get their licenses. They often simply don't care about the independence felt by driving an automobile any more.

There is a place in hell in for masses of people who can't pretend they don't have a communications device competing for their attention for duration of time they are behind the wheel.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im a nice guy so I wave others to go a lot. Then theres always this one that wont budge....until I give up on them and start to go myself. Thats when they suddenly realize they could go and zoom out. (*&^T*&^$%(
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:01 pm Im a nice guy so I wave others to go a lot. Then theres always this one that wont budge....until I give up on them and start to go myself. Thats when they suddenly realize they could go and zoom out. (*&^T*&^$%(
When the other car clearly has the right of way, I can wait all day if that's what it takes, including adjusting the radio and organizing the glove compartment.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Roundabouts.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:07 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:01 pm Im a nice guy so I wave others to go a lot. Then theres always this one that wont budge....until I give up on them and start to go myself. Thats when they suddenly realize they could go and zoom out. (*&^T*&^$%(
When the other car clearly has the right of way, I can wait all day if that's what it takes, including adjusting the radio and organizing the glove compartment.
I follow the rules of the road to the best of my ability, and "nice guys" drive me crazy. You got there first, it's your turn. I'm not going to run the risk of misunderstanding your delay and frantic motions as a gesture that I should go. I will also sit there all day until you move your ass and follow the rules too. It's just safer if we all drive by the same rules, instead of only some of us doing it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Then you would despise me. I always stop short of driveways and parking lots as well as intersections and if someone is waiting to enter traffic (left or right) while I am at a stop I always let them, as that is precisely why I leave that space. It's a golden rule for me because I can't stand being stuck in a parking through three or four light cycles waiting for someone to let enter traffic.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

As far as I know, there's no rule around that. It's just courtesy. You're approaching a red light and you could either A) Be a dick and block the driveway and keep someone penned in or B) Leave enough space for them to get out and get in line for the red to turn green. Now, you hit the brakes and disrupt the flow of traffic towards a green light to let that same person out, and I'll take issue.

When the rules don't care it's an optional thing, IMO. If given the option to be nice, I will be. If the rules say it's my turn, your turn, or her turn - dammit, that's what it is.
Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

After working from 07:30 until 22:00 every day last week, I'm chomping at the bit to get out of here at 15:00... And there's two more hours to go... and plenty of work to do, as my last week had me working on projects that kept me away from normal work. So it was like putting in a 70+ hour workweek but coming back from a vacation to a workload that increased 45 hours while you were away.

I need Calgon... and someone to come by and clean my tub...
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Dude, your job is going to frikkin' kill you.
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Seriously. Get your resume polished and put it out there. Find a tech recruiter and schedule a review.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Not using your right of way is the problem. Whether it's because you don't understand the rules or because you're being "nice", it's a recipe for disaster.

You not using your right of way puts everyone at risk. Just follow the rules. They exist for a reason.

Roundabouts are even more confusing to those who have trouble understanding how 4 way stops work.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

In five years, I can retire a pauper. In seven, I think I can make it but without much creature comfort, so seven is what I'm shooting for. (Of course I say this without truly understanding what health care costs will be like post work... However, maybe in 5 years I look for another job just for reasonable health care...)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Look for a new job now. You might get better pay, better benefits, and a higher chance of being able to survive those next to 5-7 years.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:28 pm Then you would despise me. I always stop short of driveways and parking lots as well as intersections and if someone is waiting to enter traffic (left or right) while I am at a stop I always let them, as that is precisely why I leave that space. It's a golden rule for me because I can't stand being stuck in a parking through three or four light cycles waiting for someone to let enter traffic.
I witnessed the classic entrapment by courtesy. I was on a four lane street, in the right hand lane, where we were stopping for a traffic light, there was no one in the lane to my left. There was a driveway to the right with some guy trying to make a left turn. The guy in front of me stopped before the driveway and motioned for the guy in the driveway to go ahead. No sooner did the driveway guy stick his nose out into the left lane, than a car came smoking down the apparently empty left lane and T-boned the driveway guy. Just wait your frickin' turn.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

In a 4/5 lane highway you don't go left unless someone has made space for you in both lanes and then you still proceed with caution. I've never seen someone proceed without looking but I'm sure it happens more than I would like to think about.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:28 pm Did everyone in the country just simultaneously agree to forget how to handle busy stop sign intersections? No, you don't get to turn left first. Let the person going straight go first. No, it's not your turn yet, did you notice how the last person to go was on your street? That means the other street goes next. Hold on, don't inch forward, just wait there behind the line until it's your turn so you don't confuse anyone. You there, why aren't you going? How can you not see it's your turn?
It's like you've forgotten where you're from. You should totally pwn those people.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Where should this go.

Excuse me while I go vomit.

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Rip wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:00 pm Roundabouts.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Meanwhile in China

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

tjg_marantz wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:00 pm Where should this go.

Excuse me while I go vomit.

That is a misleading lede. They recovered additional partial remains (probably some chunks of bone and flesh, given the descriptions of his head wound).
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats what I got out of it. But what do you do with them? Casket is buried. Doubt Id dig it up to put that in. But then I have no idea what Id do. Maybe cremate them?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sterns new pinball machine. Where the heck do you play these now? I dont know of anywhere remotely near me or otherwise to play pins.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/22/ ... 280e00003e

Enlarge Image
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

https://pinballmap.com/

Seattle and Portland are _swimming_ in these
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks like Atlanta for me. Thats about 2 hours almost.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:53 pm Thats what I got out of it. But what do you do with them? Casket is buried. Doubt Id dig it up to put that in. But then I have no idea what Id do. Maybe cremate them?
Cremate and scatter the ashes over the burial site. It's not the first time military brought back a closed-casket with bags of sand inside.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Speaking of cremation, we had a good laugh this afternoon. Dad opted for cremation when he passed, and his urn is sitting on top of mom's piano in the front room. Wonder Twin 4.5a was looking at it for quite a while today, then he turned to us and, with a somewhat confused look asked my mom, "Hey Nana, is Grandpa John's body in a bucket up in heaven too?". :lol:

That moment aside, this first Thanksgiving without dad was really tough. :(
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur Isgrimnur Isgrimnur - do we have a thread for the movie Her? I can't find it but it was a big enough movie that we must.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:42 pm Isgrimnur Isgrimnur Isgrimnur - do we have a thread for the movie Her? I can't find it but it was a big enough movie that we must.
Searching by topic title, there is not one.

Googled - site:octopusoverlords.com intitle:her

16 results returned, nothing that appears to be about any particular films.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:30 am https://pinballmap.com/
I love the internet. What a great resource. Thanks!
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Oh, Canana!

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is she still somehow involved with that loser?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Don't know, don't care.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My computer died today. Exactly 10 days after the 1 year hardware warranty from Cyberpowerpc expired. I still get 2 more years of labor under the warranty, but I’d have to pay shipping to and from their depot. Said screw it and just dropped it off at a local computer repair store I’ve used in the past. Hopefully it’s just a bad mobo or PSU. If it’s completely fried I’m gonna give up on pc gaming and stick to consoles only from here on out. This is just too damn expensive.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:17 pm My computer died today. Exactly 10 days after the 1 year hardware warranty from Cyberpowerpc expired. I still get 2 more years of labor under the warranty, but I’d have to pay shipping to and from their depot. Said screw it and just dropped it off at a local computer repair store I’ve used in the past. Hopefully it’s just a bad mobo or PSU. If it’s completely fried I’m gonna give up on pc gaming and stick to consoles only from here on out. This is just too damn expensive.
Bummer! If that happens to me I will probably go with laptop gaming as the specs can now rival a desktop.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

hepcat wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:17 pm If it’s completely fried I’m gonna give up on pc gaming and stick to consoles only from here on out. This is just too damn expensive.
If I could hook a mouse and keyboard to an xbox one x, I'd consider it. But I'm so useless with a controller if I had to play an FPS with one I'd throw it through the screen.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:17 pm My computer died today. Exactly 10 days after the 1 year hardware warranty from Cyberpowerpc expired. I still get 2 more years of labor under the warranty, but I’d have to pay shipping to and from their depot. Said screw it and just dropped it off at a local computer repair store I’ve used in the past. Hopefully it’s just a bad mobo or PSU. If it’s completely fried I’m gonna give up on pc gaming and stick to consoles only from here on out. This is just too damn expensive.
We were visiting my in-laws, and I spent the morning troubleshooting my mother-in-law's machine that wasn't even new when she updated to Windows Vista in 2007.

It helps that she doesn't do anything with it beyond Facebook and TurboTax.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My Cyberpower machine is about to pass its 8th birthday. I've never had a desktop PC this long -- the upgrade curve has flattened a lot since back in the day when Pentiums were shiny and new and I used to replace them every 2-3 years. That said, Cyberman is getting creaky, and I hope to buy a new one next year.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow. I've been cursed as well. My 15 month old PC this morning decided it no longer wanted to recognize HDDs - only the SSD that's (thankfully) running Win10. I removed what I thought was a failing HDD but when it booted back up, the second HDD is now unreadable - and it was working fine before I removed the main HDD that I thought was failing. While I'm no expert, this suggests to me bigger problems...

Ugh.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Did you plug the hard drive plug into a different hard drive pluggy thingy?

(Sorry about all the technical jargon.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not sure if I have a SATA external cage to try and test the first drive that I thought was a problem, but that's step one if I do, yes. I downloaded a tool from the HDD manufacturer to test the drive that's currently still connected and it just failed. One drive failing? That's bad luck. Two drives failing at exactly the same time? Something bigger.

EDIT: As it turns out, the person that built my computer used the wrong label with the Brother P touch; only one drive is dead, not two. Unfortunately it's my STEAM gaming drive that failed, and after putting it in the USB cage, it's absolutely dead. Fortunately I have futuristic Internet speeds and will be able to re-acquire my STEAM library by some time in January. All I can say is thank god for STEAM clouds save game recovery. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go