Opera
3%
Other
9%

Total votes: 97

Blackhawk

Re: What Web Browser do you recommend?

Post by Blackhawk »

I figure it will take a few days for the devs to update out of date addons. It's been a few years since I quit FF for Chrome, so I figure there will be some things I lose along with some I gain.

Now if I can just get it to actually sync my addons between machines. :grund:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, my worry is essential add-ons like no-script not being updated in time. Thing is, they've supposedly knew about the update for several months, and you could tell if your plugins would be ready or not, as older ones would be listed as Legacy.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Been using Quantum a couple months now I think it is. FF screwed up yet again on me a while back and I found the beta of Quantum. Not a problem yet. Love it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote:Firefox released its new "Quantum" update today that's supposed to fix and re-design everything including the kitchen sink. I'm going to give it a whirl, as it says it is supposed to be faster and more efficient than Chrome. I have an older PC and laptop and that could be a good thing.
Is Chrome not fast for you?

I’ve been using it for about a year now I guess (grudgingly switched from FF after many years using that) and it’s still as snappy as the first day as far as I can tell. That was not the case with FF, which really seemed to bog down over time.

I don’t really have any problems with Chrome, but I still do miss a few of Firefox’s quirks and behaviors that are not built into Chrome.

In terms of compatibility, hard to tell, Chrome probably has a slight edge in that regard. It’s pretty rare that a site or form won’t work in Chrome (but will in IE).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:08 am
Blackhawk wrote:Firefox released its new "Quantum" update today that's supposed to fix and re-design everything including the kitchen sink. I'm going to give it a whirl, as it says it is supposed to be faster and more efficient than Chrome. I have an older PC and laptop and that could be a good thing.
Google is fast. On my desk is a second PC made of the parts I've replaced over the years. It is pretty old, and I have an older laptop as well that I was given a year or so ago. It isn't that Chrome isn't fast, it is that on a slow PC, the difference between 'fast' and 'faster' becomes more pronounced. I'm still judging whether the new Firefox achieves that.

I'm also beginning to question how deeply Google has its hooks in. It is my email, my search engine, my phone, my map, my translator, my videos, my 50 other things. I kind of like the idea of having the interface that I use for most of those things be something other than Google, just for that one degree of separation.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wow, definitely faster. But most of my extensions didn't make it, including my favorite Rehost Image...and its developer says it won't be updated. I'd switch to Chrome if it had a comparable function, but AFAIK it doesn't.

Guess I'll stick with FIrefox and hope that extensions get updated or created in the next few weeks. The speed boost is pretty nice.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:06 pm Wow, definitely faster. But most of my extensions didn't make it, including my favorite Rehost Image...and its developer says it won't be updated. I'd switch to Chrome if it had a comparable function, but AFAIK it doesn't.
From my Chrome browser:
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

True.

Whoa, this text renders as the image above:

Code: Select all

https://imgur.com/jMQNSNX
No extension on the file, no image tags. Cool.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:03 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:06 pm Wow, definitely faster. But most of my extensions didn't make it, including my favorite Rehost Image...and its developer says it won't be updated. I'd switch to Chrome if it had a comparable function, but AFAIK it doesn't.
From my Chrome browser:
What extension is that? I have something called "reho.st" but it does not work as transparently as the old Firefox extension did. One must actively copy the link code instead of having it automagically go to the clipboard.

Firefox is also missing navigational sounds, which I successfully added to Chrome, so that's two strikes against FF. Browsing in silence is weird.

I'm using Chrome at the moment and wavering between browsers. I'm a little reluctant to give Google all of my browsing info (not that they don't already get most of it from cookies).
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

"imgur Uploader"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

It's called 'imgur uploader' and it actually works better in Chrome than it did in FF.

I can simply right click and image, then click on REHOST. Then simply paste into whatever program I want including here (and add tags if necessary). Does everything else in the background for me. In FF, I had to open it up in the Imgur page, then click on the format, etc.

MUCH simpler this way!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:08 am
i don't understand why some are so eager to give _any_ browsing data to a marketing company.

and Chrome isn't the only webkit browser, either. as i mentioned in other threads, there's Chromium and Opera and Vivaldi... all webkit browsers that don't 'phone home' with any data.

i am liking Firefox Quantum.
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, really is very fast. I thought it was all talk, as it mostly is, but in this case, I think Firefox really needed an overhaul.

So, as for Noscript, looks like there's an upcoming update. I went and saw it listed as Legacy then clicked on their replacement button, which took me here: https://hackademix.net/2017/11/14/double-noscript/
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Enough

Post by Enough »

Just opened task manager with an average amount of tabs open in the new FF. I guess to get to Chrome levels of speed they also have to use every bit of RAM they can get away with like Chrome has been for some time? :geek:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The Meal wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:16 pm "imgur Uploader"
Thanks, that might be the killer app that tips me to Chrome. If I can remember my Imgur login. At least until someone makes the equivalent for FF.

Here's another annoying thing Chrome is doing: It truncates the breadcrumb text on this site to as little as one letter. In the black theme the breadcrumbs read "B... < The ... < Gen...". WTF Chrome?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Does anyone notice with the new FF that there's an improvement with animated gifs? It looks like to me, more colour depth and a more general smoothness. Am I imagining things or did they really improve things?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:01 pm
Thanks, that might be the killer app that tips me to Chrome. If I can remember my Imgur login. At least until someone makes the equivalent for FF.
I use that extension without an Imgur login (or with an absolutely throw-away login). The options allow for image rehosting that is not tied to an Imgur account.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Hey, here's a useful tip for those using Firefox Quantum. The browser now has a built-in screenshot feature. It's hidden though. Click the three little dots in the address bar, which will bring up a menu. It's a little annoying to have to do that if you use it a lot though. If you want to add it to the address bar, right click on the feature, it will let you add it that way as opposed to doing it through 'customize' which is a little odd and counter-intuitive, but there you go.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The Meal wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:06 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:01 pm
I use that extension without an Imgur login (or with an absolutely throw-away login). The options allow for image rehosting that is not tied to an Imgur account.
Yup, it works.

There are still some stupid little interface things keeping me from making Chrome my default browser. Right-clicking an image does not offer me the option to "Set as desktop background." And the Backspace key doesn't back up -- use ALT+back arrow instead? Huh? People have been using Backspace since the 16th century.

I'm still flipping back and forth between FIrefox and Chrome, not entirely happy with either one.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:01 pmHere's another annoying thing Chrome is doing: It truncates the breadcrumb text on this site to as little as one letter. In the black theme the breadcrumbs read "B... < The ... < Gen...". WTF Chrome?
Not if someone puts an entry in your notification list! ;)
Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:42 pmThere are still some stupid little interface things keeping me from making Chrome my default browser. Right-clicking an image does not offer me the option to "Set as desktop background." And the Backspace key doesn't back up -- use ALT+back arrow instead? Huh? People have been using Backspace since the 16th century.
Yes and yes. I infrequently update my background image with something from the web (though in case you didn't figure it out {assuming $OPERATING_SYSTEM=windows}: right click save the image, in saved notification right-click and open document in folder, then right-click in the folder to use as background image). To deal with Chrome's reverse browsing history button replacement shenanigans, I've taken to a two-step process: always dedicating a mouse button to perform the appropriate keyboard equivalent to backing up, and more better for me (a former Opera user), using a mouse gesture extension (such as "crxMouse Chrome™ Gestures") to allow me to drag-right click to the left and accomplish the same. YMMV.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:42 pm
There are still some stupid little interface things keeping me from making Chrome my default browser. Right-clicking an image does not offer me the option to "Set as desktop background." And the Backspace key doesn't back up -- use ALT+back arrow instead? Huh? People have been using Backspace since the 16th century.

I'm still flipping back and forth between FIrefox and Chrome, not entirely happy with either one.
https://www.technorms.com/2017/2-easy-w ... -in-chrome

Still loving Firefox Quantum.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Firefox has now dropped Yahoo! as the default search provider and is now going with Google. (and prior to that, it was Bing)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Not that I noticed it much anyway. I don't think I've ever used Yahoo to search for anything in the last 10 years.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

One annoyance with Firefox is that there doesn't seem to be any way to change the vertical scroll bars. Apparently there used to be, but they removed it. I use one PC from the couch, primarily for media and light browsing. The scroll bars are gray on gray, and effectively invisible from that distance.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ok, one thing they never fixed, and it was the reason that I left Firefox in the first place: the browser is incapable in intelligently syncing settings, addons, and bookmarks.

I set it up, deleted all of the old bookmarks from several years ago when I used it, and imported my current ones from Chrome. It then proceeded to restore all of the ones I'd just deleted in addition to the new ones, giving me folders and folders of bookmarks I'd already deleted and that were years out of date, plus two copies of each of my current bookmarks, all of them mixed in together. It created hundreds, if not thousands of duplicates. Last time this happened I deleted all the duplicates (which took hours), only to have it restore them the next time I launched the browser.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, to be fair, for whatever reason, transferring bookmarks from one browser to another is something browsers have difficulty doing. I remember when the first version of Chrome came out. I installed it and it proceeded to transfer my bookmarks from Firefox. I had a huge list of bookmarks in Firefox with nested folders, and for whatever reason, Chrome had only imported a truncated list that just barely skimmed the surface of what I had. It's like it just gave up. I don't even think it had included the newest ones. Needless to say, I wasn't too impressed and I uninstalled it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Nah, the problem wasn't with transferring the bookmarks from Chrome to FIrefox. The problem is with syncing several devices with Firefox installed. Instead of tracking changes, it stacks them.

IE - I delete the bookmarks from Firefox and import the bookmarks from Chrome on desktop #1. It then syncs the bookmarks from desktop #1 with desktop #2 without syncing the deletions, resulting in both the old and new bookmarks on #2. It then syncs the bookmarks from my laptop onto the desktops, resulting in a third complete set, all combined into nested folders so that they are impossible to remove except by hand, one by one.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, new Noscript update finally, but wow, what a confusing mess of a UI. The old one was at least somewhat logical if you knew what you were doing, but the new one is quite muddled to the point that I can't tell what's affecting what. Poor UI feedback.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Anyone want to explain how the new NoScript works with Quantum? It seems like it should be intuitive, but so far I can't find out how to temporarily allow a site through.

I could do a search. But I'm not gonna. :D

edit: Ok, I lied. Apparently there is a clock icon on the custom tab for a URL when you click on the NoScript Icon on the menu bar. This is supposed to do temporary allows. So far I can't get it to work. Obviously I'm doing something wrong.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm getting used to it the more I use it, but I still feel the UI is very confusing. That's because everything is clustered so closely together and the icons are confusing, compared to the text you got in the older version. You can hover over them and get an explanation, but again, it doesn't really tell you anything.

To temporarily allow a site through, click the S, and in the top right you'll get 3 fairly large icons: Options, Temporary Revoke, and Temporarily Allow. Is that what you want?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

new Firefox was getting sluggish, so i decided to see how many tabs i had open.
Spoiler:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Loving FireFox Quantum.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My laptop has nearly ground to a halt since I upgraded FIrefox. If I let it sleep it often doesn't wake up at all (and I used to sleep it routinely with days or even weeks between reboots). It takes forever to close programs and shut it down for the day. Not sure that FF is to blame, but the timing is suspicious. I've run Malwarebytes and Crapcleaner and Defraggler without any joy. Going to switch it to Chrome tomorrow and see if that clears it up. This laptop was never a sparkplug, but it always plodded through its paces before the FF update.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:26 pm Firefox has now dropped Yahoo! as the default search provider and is now going with Google. (and prior to that, it was Bing)
Aaaaand, lawsuit:
Roughly three years ago, Yahoo and Mozilla announced that Yahoo would be the default search engine on Firefox in the US. That relationship ended early when Mozilla released the much-improved Firefox Quantum browser last month, with Google as the default search provider.

Now, Yahoo’s parent company, Oath (Verizon), is suing Mozilla for breach of contract. Oath says that Mozilla “terminated a long-term strategic agreement with Yahoo” on November 10. Yahoo adds that prior to filing suit, it “demanded that Mozilla take immediate steps to cure its breaches and rescind its termination notice.”

The lawsuit seeks unspecified money damages and interest from Mozilla. We haven’t seen the contract, but Mozilla’s rationale for termination is pretty clearly laid out in a cross-complaint against Yahoo/Oath, claiming that it had a right to terminate the relationship under the contract:
We recently exercised our contractual right to terminate our agreement with Yahoo based on a number of factors including doing what’s best for our brand, our effort to provide quality web search, and the broader content experience for our users.

Immediately following Yahoo’s acquisition, we undertook a lengthy, multi-month process to seek assurances from Yahoo and its acquirers with respect to those factors. When it became clear that continuing to use Yahoo as our default search provider would have a negative impact on all of the above, we exercised our contractual right to terminate the agreement and entered into an agreement with another provider.
Mozilla basically says that Yahoo failed to uphold search quality standards that it promised to maintain at the time of the initial agreement in 2014. Below is an excerpt from some of the interesting factual allegations in the redacted Mozilla filing:
Yahoo Search consistently failed to retain users and search volume over time, reducing the potential revenue [for Mozilla] under the Strategic Agreement. Rather than focus on improving the quality of its search product, as Yahoo assured Mozilla it would prior to entering into the deal, Yahoo continually focused on short-term monetization and special events such as the Olympics and the election, at the expense of product quality . . .
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That was a pretty crazy deal that Yahoo somehow signed.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I'm surprised they signed it, but they must have been desperate for something as they were already on their downward spiral by then. Even then, I'm surprised by the conditions, because if Mozilla knew of their financial troubles, expecting them to provide high-level standards was probably a bit much going in. From Yahoo's point of view, they probably saw a good opportunity to right themselves, but for Mozilla, it was probably like investing in a sinking ship.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Since my internet was upgraded Ive seen some weirdness from FF Quantum.

Some YouTube videos just sit and dont start for about 1 full min. Others run pause run pause run pause...like 2 sec ok then 5 sec pause on and on and on.

Also Twitch does the same pausing. If I copy the addy to IE the videos and Twitch stuff both run smooth so its def a Quantum issue.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Actually, I've found the same thing with Youtube as of late, to the point that I can't really watch HD videos. Something to do with caching, I think. It seems to cache very little of it before starting to play, which then leads to problems when it catches up, hence the start-stop. Then Youtube likes to give me the interruptions thingy which is BS, as my connection is totally fine. I think it's more of a YT problem as I see it happening in other browsers.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

dump Chrome, already
...This was made possible by the Web’s biggest snoop of all: Google. Seen from the inside, its Chrome browser looks a lot like surveillance software.