Destiny 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Chaz

Re: Destiny 2

Post by Chaz »

It's not available, info was just leaked.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Toe wrote:Ok, so I now hear there is already an expansion pack available for this game. How am I not suppose to feel cheated? :hawk:
When the digital deluxe version is being sold as including a season pass, I'm sure there's going to be a few expansions / add-ons
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

So, just an update from console land--Bungie has turned on clan features and we are now actively earning XP toward clan levels. Though there are just a few of us playing right now (about equally divided between PS4 and xbox), I'd expect us to get a few levels by the time the PC version launches.

This activates bonuses for all members on all platforms. :horse:

For those of you planning to jump in on PC, feel free to join up with your Blizzard ID now: Linky
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Toe wrote:Ok, so I now hear there is already an expansion pack available for this game. How am I not suppose to feel cheated? :hawk:
That's basically how Destiny works. It's pretty much a subscription model through a couple of substantive DLC/expansions per year.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Hamlet3145 wrote:So, just an update from console land--Bungie has turned on clan features and we are now actively earning XP toward clan levels. Though there are just a few of us playing right now (about equally divided between PS4 and xbox), I'd expect us to get a few levels by the time the PC version launches.

This activates bonuses for all members on all platforms. :horse:

For those of you planning to jump in on PC, feel free to join up with your Blizzard ID now: Linky
I should be getting this eventually. Maybe this week but won't be playing very much due to time constraints on my life but if there's a clan I'll join in. Xb1.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Arise!

Hi All,

For any of you jumping into Destiny 2 on pc tomorrow, just a reminder that Clans in Destiny are cross platform and the OO clan is creeping up on level 4. Clan levels provide bonuses and clan membership also provides access to certain weekly quests. There is no downside to joining up. Link in signature. :horse:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:58 am
That's basically how Destiny works. It's pretty much a subscription model through a couple of substantive DLC/expansions per year.
It's like Guild Wars. Buy to Play, as compared to other MMO payment options - and is a lot better than FTP, or subscription, IMHO. If you play for a while and put it down, then don't buy the DLC until you're ready to pick it up again, and there isn't a pay-to-win mechanic.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Game pre-loaded. Guild joined. Steelseries Arctis 3 ordered.

Any suggestion on which class to pick? I'm sure it doesn't matter in the end, and everyone winds up trying all three. But I'll probably be trying most stuff solo initially while I get a feel for the game and am curious what your opinion might be.

I like playing support, so even though it may not make sense solo, perhaps Warlock is the way to go for when I'm ready for heavy multiplayer?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Same as above
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Titan is the best for support (with base abilities including walls and shields). Warlocks are probably 2nd now due to their healing/damage bubble they can create, but they are more about dealing damage. Hunters are about speed and dodging, though the tether bow is crucial for Raids and good for strikes and a good team super in PvP.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I'm staring at the 'buy now' option in my Battle Net for Destiny 2. I've been playing Warframe and I'm wondering if it's better or not as good as that game (since it's free to play technically).

What's the verdict?
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:26 pm I'm staring at the 'buy now' option in my Battle Net for Destiny 2. I've been playing Warframe and I'm wondering if it's better or not as good as that game (since it's free to play technically).

What's the verdict?
It's just about the only game on any platform I've played since it launched on xBox. Haven't tried Warframe, however, so I can't compare, nor can I give you a PC version review. I think the PS4 exclusive stuff won't come to the PC for awhile either however, so you may wish to go in that direction (I seem to recall you having one), though it is my understanding that 4k updates are coming to the consoles (Pro/X), but PC won't require an updated console, if you've got the graphics card to handle it.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I think you'll find Warframe is quite a different experience. The similarities are superficial. Can't comment on Destiny 2 yet because I didn't play the original (no console), but from the beta you're looking at more of an amalgamation of Borderlands and Halo.

I played Warframe for about 80 hours and... I honestly don't know what to compare it to. It's an amazing, addictive, otherworldly experience, but also a grindy mess.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Sudy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:15 pm I think you'll find Warframe is quite a different experience. The similarities are superficial. Can't comment on Destiny 2 yet because I didn't play the original (no console), but from the beta you're looking at more of an amalgamation of Borderlands and Halo.

I played Warframe for about 80 hours and... I honestly don't know what to compare it to. It's an amazing, addictive, otherworldly experience, but also a grindy mess.
Warframe seems nice enough, but you CAN technically pay to win. That kinda turns me off. It's also over the shoulder which throws me off.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Played this for a while last night, and enjoying it so far. Hopefully I'll have some time later tonight to hop on again and look for some OOers to play with.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Not a fan of the jumping levels on Titan but otherwise I am enjoying it
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Anyone up for nightfall on Xbox this afternoon?

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So how is this on PC?

BTW Greenman has this for $53.99 and if you create and account or sign into one you have then they give you a 20% off voucher it seems. So you could pick this up for about $43.00
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I'm a bit late to the game on this one, I picked up a new video card and Destiny 2 came with it. I've only got a couple of hours into the game thus far and stink, but I'd love to join up and give it a go...
-something witty-
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I've been progressing slowly. Have now reached level 20 and the third world. Played a dozen or so crucible matches.

The story is bland, but the environment and music are haunting and beautiful. I'm somewhat disappointed there isn't more exploration, and what little there is doesn't seem to be well rewarded. Sure, there are the "secret" areas in the open world sections, but they're marked on a map, and once you enter them they're linear. There aren't invisible walls, but if you stray from the beaten path you either die or a get a "TURN BACK NOW!" warning with a 5-second timer.

There doesn't seem to be great variety in weapons and gear, but maybe I haven't delved deep enough. I kept hearing Destiny described as "Diablo with guns", but it barely is.... Borderlands met that description better years ago, and Warframe meets it better today. Instead, Destiny 2 strikes me as Halo (sutiable, considering the developer) crossed with a more recent shooter such as Rage. I loved both of the latter games in their time, but Destiny 2 fails to feel inspired. It feels... like something designed for a console.

That doesn't mean I don't like it, by any stretch. I'm still playing. I wonder if I'd enjoy it more in multiplayer, with people I know? I don't know if I'm in it for the long haul either way, though. There seem to be so many more interesting titles, whether in the single player or multiplayer realm.

The game oozes with atmosphere yet somehow lacks personality.

McNutt

Post by McNutt »

This is currently on sale for $39 (PC) and I'm considering it. I've never played Destiny so I don't exactly know what I'm jumping into. I have a few questions if you don't mind answering:

1. I will be playing by myself. Is that going to be a problem or do you need to have a group like WoW? If so, is it easy to get a couple of random people to complete a mission?
2. Does it require massive time sinks like WoW (forgive me for continually using that as a reference, but that's the comparison that is stuck in my head) or can you play in short chunks? I won't be able to dedicate four hours to raids.
3. Is this a carrot on a stick game or is it always fun? I enjoyed WoW and Diablo, but grew tired of it after realizing that a lot of times what I was doing was more work than fun.
4. Could a high-level player team up with a low-level player or are they on different planes that makes that not possible/fun?

Thanks
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

McNutt wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:08 pm 1. I will be playing by myself. Is that going to be a problem or do you need to have a group like WoW? If so, is it easy to get a couple of random people to complete a mission?
Totally soloable. There are some end game mission types that require a group going in, but there is either matchmaking you can use, or lots of easy ways to build a group
McNutt wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:08 pm 2. Does it require massive time sinks like WoW (forgive me for continually using that as a reference, but that's the comparison that is stuck in my head) or can you play in short chunks? I won't be able to dedicate four hours to raids.
No, nothing like the time WoW requires. There is some grinding for gear in the late game, but all the missions you can do are pretty bite sized and a single one can be completed in 10 or 20 minutes. Lots of open areas you can run around in for however long you want and then just jump off too.
McNutt wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:08 pm 3. Is this a carrot on a stick game or is it always fun? I enjoyed WoW and Diablo, but grew tired of it after realizing that a lot of times what I was doing was more work than fun.
It mostly depends on how you feel about the basic gunplay. It's pretty fast paced and fun for me, so I'm just running around doing that, and the loot just comes from playing.
McNutt wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:08 pm 4. Could a high-level player team up with a low-level player or are they on different planes that makes that not possible/fun?
There are some areas where non-level 20 characters can't go because of tough enemies or required unlocks, but a high level person can group with a low level one anywhere that low level person can go, and everything automatically scales. Higher level player would just do *slightly* more damage and have more abilities to choose from.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

In case anyone else is thinking about trying Destiny 2, they just announced a free trial.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

And if you needed more motivation, Amazon has it for $26 for all three platforms today.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Chaz wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:42 am And if you needed more motivation, Amazon has it for $26 for all three platforms today.
Hmm, been thinking about the game but wasn't sure, I may just jump in at this price.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Sepiche wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:22 pm
McNutt wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:08 pm 1. I will be playing by myself. Is that going to be a problem or do you need to have a group like WoW? If so, is it easy to get a couple of random people to complete a mission?
Totally soloable. There are some end game mission types that require a group going in, but there is either matchmaking you can use, or lots of easy ways to build a group
McNutt wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:08 pm 2. Does it require massive time sinks like WoW (forgive me for continually using that as a reference, but that's the comparison that is stuck in my head) or can you play in short chunks? I won't be able to dedicate four hours to raids.
No, nothing like the time WoW requires. There is some grinding for gear in the late game, but all the missions you can do are pretty bite sized and a single one can be completed in 10 or 20 minutes. Lots of open areas you can run around in for however long you want and then just jump off too.
McNutt wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:08 pm 3. Is this a carrot on a stick game or is it always fun? I enjoyed WoW and Diablo, but grew tired of it after realizing that a lot of times what I was doing was more work than fun.
It mostly depends on how you feel about the basic gunplay. It's pretty fast paced and fun for me, so I'm just running around doing that, and the loot just comes from playing.
McNutt wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:08 pm 4. Could a high-level player team up with a low-level player or are they on different planes that makes that not possible/fun?
There are some areas where non-level 20 characters can't go because of tough enemies or required unlocks, but a high level person can group with a low level one anywhere that low level person can go, and everything automatically scales. Higher level player would just do *slightly* more damage and have more abilities to choose from.
Thank you for this summary, this was very helpful.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I decided to try checking out the demo, but the game is downloaded incredibly slowly on my PS4 (its downloaded 800 MB after about 45 minutes). At this rate, it’s going to take 30 hours to get the game. It’s like I’ve switched internet speeds with Smoove...
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

So, at the Amazon price I could not resist. Will be interested in some online play after I get familiar with the game.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:42 pm Arise!

Hi All,

For any of you jumping into Destiny 2 on pc tomorrow, just a reminder that Clans in Destiny are cross platform and the OO clan is creeping up on level 4. Clan levels provide bonuses and clan membership also provides access to certain weekly quests. There is no downside to joining up. Link in signature. :horse:
So we can be in the same clan even if we are on different platforms? But the game doesn't support cross platform play, right?
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Grifman wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:40 am
Hamlet3145 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:42 pm Arise!

Hi All,

So we can be in the same clan even if we are on different platforms? But the game doesn't support cross platform play, right?
That's correct on both counts. (Yes, it's weird :lol: )
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

A friend of mine didn't like it, but I had to bite too. I like scifi FPS shooters. I also applied for OO clan membership. :)
There is no hug button. Sad!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I just started the MMORGP aspect of it last night and killed a few mini bosses. It was fun. I'm using a Warlock right now and will soon create a Hunter and Titan to see which fits me best.

Question, I was in the EDZ walking around and saw some other people being attacked by bad guys. I joined in and helped kill them. I wasn't asked, just fired a few shots their way.
1. Is that frowned upon?
2. Would I be able to pick up their drops? I wasn't going to, just not sure if it's tied to the other person.

When I went into the tunnels under the church for the first mission I faced a boss who had a chest that I was able to loot. I don't remember ever launching an instance, but I also didn't have any other person in there fighting. Are instances seamless in this game?

Thanks
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:01 pm I decided to try checking out the demo, but the game is downloaded incredibly slowly on my PS4 (its downloaded 800 MB after about 45 minutes). At this rate, it’s going to take 30 hours to get the game. It’s like I’ve switched internet speeds with Smoove...
For $26, I couldn't resist. However, as you've pointed out, the download speed for me means I'll be playing (maybe) this time next week. Maybe.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

McNutt wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:06 am Question, I was in the EDZ walking around and saw some other people being attacked by bad guys. I joined in and helped kill them. I wasn't asked, just fired a few shots their way.
1. Is that frowned upon?
2. Would I be able to pick up their drops? I wasn't going to, just not sure if it's tied to the other person.
Nope, all drops are only visible to the person they are for. I've never seen anyone bat an eye at having someone else help them out as everyone involved with killing an enemy gets experience and a chance at loot. You've probably already seen it, but as a matter of fact, anything that drops for you that you don't pick up out in the field will be available at the postmaster in the farm/traveller.
McNutt wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:06 am When I went into the tunnels under the church for the first mission I faced a boss who had a chest that I was able to loot. I don't remember ever launching an instance, but I also didn't have any other person in there fighting. Are instances seamless in this game?
Yeah, you'll only see it occasionally when you pass over an invisible boundary, but when you get a certain distance into one of those caves it splits you out into a separate instance for your whole fireteam. When you're going into lost sectors or crossing into a different zone you'll occasionally see someone look like they are teleporting a bit... that's actually the new instance loading that person in.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:32 amYou've probably already seen it, but as a matter of fact, anything that drops for you that you don't pick up out in the field will be available at the postmaster in the farm/traveller.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the information!
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

You have got to be fucking kidding me. I dl'ed the demo and just found out YOU CAN'T REBIND TO THE NUMBERPAD.

FUCK YOU, BUNGIE.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

killbot737 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:38 pm You have got to be fucking kidding me. I dl'ed the demo and just found out YOU CAN'T REBIND TO THE NUMBERPAD.

FUCK YOU, BUNGIE.
Its a very stupid decision.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/2 ... t=0&page=0
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Once again, AutoHotKey to the rescue!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Apparently the xBox One X enhanced edition is coinciding with the DLC release next week. I'll probably jump back in then.

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I've heard you can edit a dll file or something to do more advanced key binding than the in game ui allows. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm sure Google can point the way.