Post by dbt1949 »

Like McDonalds and Chicken McNuggets.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hitbyambulance

Re: Random randomness

Post by hitbyambulance »

this wool military (surplus) long coat from Romania. looks like the price rose to $25, but i have no idea why these are selling for so cheap in the first place - it's an amazing deal. looks awesome, incredibly warm, lots of neat pockets and it'll last for decades if well cared for. i can't wear it while bicycling, tho - it goes past my knees.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

tjg_marantz wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:24 am
Blackhawk wrote:For a coat? :shock: That's insane.
Lol. Noooo.
Lol. Yessss.

If your goal is effective transportation, the existence of gold plated Lamborghinis doesn't make a Porsche a smart choice.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have a very nice peacoat . Had it about 7 years. Worn it maybe 3 times. I tend to run hot so it doesn't get cold enough to wear it..20 is too warm. Got it at Express one year on a super sale price. its very nice. Love it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Blackhawk wrote:
Lol. Noooo.
Lol. Yessss.

If your goal is effective transportation, the existence of gold plated Lamborghinis doesn't make a Porsche a smart choice.
I guess we have different definitions of insane.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ack. With this check for my winter property taxes, I only have one check left. I have no idea where my checkbooks are. This last checkbook has lasted me since 2014. Adding "find out where checkbooks are and see if I have any left" to the to do list.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:47 am
Lol. Noooo.
Lol. Yessss.

No one is buying those Star Wars coats because they are effective at keeping a person warm. That they keep a person warm is a bonus. In that realm, it's not insane.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

My winter coat is a Propper ACU ECWCS Gore-Tex parka shell that I bought new for about $250. It's taken every kind of winter weather that southern Canada can throw at it for the last decade, and it'll probably outlast me.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

stessier wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:36 am
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:47 am
Lol. Noooo.
Lol. Yessss.

No one is buying those Star Wars coats because they are effective at keeping a person warm. That they keep a person warm is a bonus. In that realm, it's not insane.
People should be careful, though.

I bought a replica of Luke's light saber and the thing doesn't even work.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:50 am People should be careful, though.

I would have thought you were more of a slow knife man.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:54 am

Lasgun all the way, baby!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:00 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:54 am

Lasgun all the way, baby!
Just watch out for those shields.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Slow knife...something something...the shield.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Things I did not expect to read in the New York Times review of SpongeBob SquarePants: The Broadway Musical:
  • A wildly positive review
  • A reference to Portal
  • A suggestion to get high before going to see the show
  • A description of the ensemble cast as "sexually ambiguous (genders blur when wet)"
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Kraken wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:40 am One of my former employers once bought everybody a Columbia winter jacket with their logo. I wore that coat for 10+ years until it was threadbare, and then I bought another Columbia jacket. I think I spent around $150. After 7 or 8 years it's getting a little rough around the edges. In a couple of years I'll buy another one. I like those Columbia jackets.

Based on that experience I spent the big bucks ($200-ish) on a pair of Columbia boots. They sprang a leak after just 3 years. Good jacket companies don't necessarily make good boots.
I bought an Eddie Bauer leather coat for winter wear about 17 years ago. I wore it into work today. I think it just looks nicely weathered. (Probably cost in the neighborhood of $300-350 when I bought it.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It must have been like 20-30 years ago, I was on Polk and Vallejo or thereabouts, in San Francisco, there's a leather jacket shop there. Bought a bomber jacket. The label says very clearly, do NOT wash outside EVER, just wipe with wet rag. Inside can be dry-cleaned. It had F-14s as the inside liner. Wore it for two decades (it's that large). About 5 years ago, when I moved, a relative decided that jacket needed a cleaning... took it to be dry cleaned... Except they didn't follow directions. The jacket came back like it had bad case of mange and got shaved in random spots. All the brown/leather sheen were gone, some parts brighter than others. It's totally ruined. Had to toss it.

Found it, it's still there! http://www.johnsonleather.com/m-120.htm Can't afford the prices now though.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman

Post by Holman »

My kids were hugely into Thomas the Tank Engine when they were little. We read them the original Awdry story books, and at one point a noisy chaos is described as including bells, fire alarms, and "air raid sirens."

So apparently the island of Sodor has an air raid problem?

(Also, this: The Repressive, Authoritarian Soul of “Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends”.)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I think that Thomas footage was labelled as "Tankana" on Boingboing to make a joke about Ken Block's Gymkhana.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

malchior wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:41 pm
"This Tweet from @stxvo has been withheld in response to a report from the copyright holder."
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:18 am this wool military (surplus) long coat from Romania. looks like the price rose to $25, but i have no idea why these are selling for so cheap in the first place - it's an amazing deal. looks awesome, incredibly warm, lots of neat pockets and it'll last for decades if well cared for. i can't wear it while bicycling, tho - it goes past my knees.
I've seen that coat and similar one on surplus sites and never pulled the trigger. Do they really work as casual / everyday winter coats or does the double breasted plus epaulets just look like a costume? It looks like I'm moving to a colder climate next year so I've suddenly gained an interest in wool coats.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:46 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:41 pm
"This Tweet from @stxvo has been withheld in response to a report from the copyright holder."
Pretty sure it was this video.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Madmarcus wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:11 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:18 am this wool military (surplus) long coat from Romania. looks like the price rose to $25, but i have no idea why these are selling for so cheap in the first place - it's an amazing deal. looks awesome, incredibly warm, lots of neat pockets and it'll last for decades if well cared for. i can't wear it while bicycling, tho - it goes past my knees.
I've seen that coat and similar one on surplus sites and never pulled the trigger. Do they really work as casual / everyday winter coats or does the double breasted plus epaulets just look like a costume? It looks like I'm moving to a colder climate next year so I've suddenly gained an interest in wool coats.
it does work. you need a heavy coat hanger for it tho, lol. and it is a bit scratchy, being wool and all.
stessier

Post by stessier »

We are having our office potluck/Christmas party today. They started frying turkeys at 8am. Any idea how hard it is to work at a desk while surrounded by the smells of frying turkeys???
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

When you are as nauseated as I am right now, I'd imagine pretty hard. Though I rather doubt that is what you meant.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:32 am When you are as nauseated as I am right now, I'd imagine pretty hard. Though I rather doubt that is what you meant.
Quick, dump out the backup tape box and grab a roll of paper towels!
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Awesome. 11 days after my first 1TB drive failed, the second (backup) drive (that was installed at the same time) is also now failing. Same manufacturer, same model, purchased at the same time when the PC was built. I have the best (random) luck ever.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That's not random.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh, I knew it was going to fail. But today? Today of all days? Random - and annoying.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:02 pm Oh, I knew it was going to fail. But today? Today of all days? Random - and annoying.
December 7th, 2017. A date which will live in Smoova-B.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hepcat wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:17 pm My computer died today. Exactly 10 days after the 1 year hardware warranty from Cyberpowerpc expired. I still get 2 more years of labor under the warranty, but I’d have to pay shipping to and from their depot. Said screw it and just dropped it off at a local computer repair store I’ve used in the past. Hopefully it’s just a bad mobo or PSU. If it’s completely fried I’m gonna give up on pc gaming and stick to consoles only from here on out. This is just too damn expensive.
Hepcat, this is future Hepcat. It's only a dead power supply, so don't stress too much. It turns out to be not that big of a deal. Also, I put a magnet on Smoove's computer when he wasn't looking. Don't tell him.
Covfefe!
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:45 am it does work. you need a heavy coat hanger for it tho, lol. and it is a bit scratchy, being wool and all.
Since my wife didn't think the idea of a surplus coat was an instant fail I might just pick one up. On the other hand I'm a complete fashion klutz and figure if I think it looks ok it is probably hideous. I will say that the color of the Romanian one isn't my favorite so I'm still looking around.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

From the new things learned to day file

Roundabouts and rotaries and traffic circles are three different things. We have traffic circles where I at, which is the lease efficient of the three "circular intersections."
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Madmarcus wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:36 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:45 am it does work. you need a heavy coat hanger for it tho, lol. and it is a bit scratchy, being wool and all.
Since my wife didn't think the idea of a surplus coat was an instant fail I might just pick one up. On the other hand I'm a complete fashion klutz and figure if I think it looks ok it is probably hideous. I will say that the color of the Romanian one isn't my favorite so I'm still looking around.
it is a very military green. but the Swedish one may be more to your liking (blue).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im pretty sick. Had a flu shot last month and dont think its that bad. My face swelled up with a gum infection that decided to race up my nose area to my forehead. On antibiotics. So much pain in my face. Im shivering like a Eskimo...if they uncontrollably shiver for no reason. I get just a little cold or none at all and just shake the water out of my glass. If I have a fever its very small. Feel bad.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Been two weeks and I'm starting to get over my flu.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:55 pm Im pretty sick. Had a flu shot last month and dont think its that bad. My face swelled up with a gum infection that decided to race up my nose area to my forehead. On antibiotics. So much pain in my face. Im shivering like a Eskimo...if they uncontrollably shiver for no reason. I get just a little cold or none at all and just shake the water out of my glass. If I have a fever its very small. Feel bad.
Have you tried brushing and/or flossing your teeth? Ounce of prevention and all that.
Holman

Post by Holman »

(Seen somewhere on Twitter:)

So now Disney owns 21st Century Fox
...which means the Alien franchise is now Disney's
...which means the Xenomorphs, born of an Alien Queen, are the newest Disney princesses.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:55 am
Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:55 pm Im pretty sick. Had a flu shot last month and dont think its that bad. My face swelled up with a gum infection that decided to race up my nose area to my forehead. On antibiotics. So much pain in my face. Im shivering like a Eskimo...if they uncontrollably shiver for no reason. I get just a little cold or none at all and just shake the water out of my glass. If I have a fever its very small. Feel bad.
Have you tried brushing and/or flossing your teeth? Ounce of prevention and all that.
Its the same old broken one.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ah. Sorry for your health problems.