Total War: Warhammer

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Freyland

Re: Total War: Warhammer

Post by Freyland »

Preload appears to be about 7 Gb out of 30+. Still going to suck for those of us with anemic broadband on Thursday, I guess.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Freyland wrote:Preload appears to be about 7 Gb out of 30+. Still going to suck for those of us with anemic broadband on Thursday, I guess.
It was 25.5G for me. It's right in that range where decrypting/decompressing the preload may take longer than simply downloading after it goes live. :)
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Max Peck wrote:
Freyland wrote:Preload appears to be about 7 Gb out of 30+. Still going to suck for those of us with anemic broadband on Thursday, I guess.
It was 25.5G for me.
Same here.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Sepiche wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
It was 25.5G for me.
Same here.
Fabulous :cry:
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

People are reporting that Steam is telling them that it could take days/weeks to unpack so you better get started :D
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Lorini wrote:People are reporting that Steam is telling them that it could take days/weeks to unpack so you better get started :D
Well, that's what it said for the first second or so of the process. :)

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

I haven't been following TW:WH2, but is it true that the initial playable factions are only high elves, dark elves, skaven, and lizardmen? If so, that's bound to turn off boring players (like me) who want to see the classic races in a new engine with new mechanics.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Holman wrote:I haven't been following TW:WH2, but is it true that the initial playable factions are only high elves, dark elves, skaven, and lizardmen? If so, that's bound to turn off boring players (like me) who want to see the classic races in a new engine with new mechanics.
Yes, it is true. Each faction also gets two heroes (so you get a slightly different adventure with each hero). Think of this one as being a bit more focused, like TW:Napoleon or TW:Alexander rather than TW:Attila. That said, the sheer number of options for TW:WH1 was pretty overwhelming and got even more so as time went on and DLC added factions like the Dwarf King's third cousin and his bachelor party. The early reviews are actually praising the tightness of TW:WH2's design, and that there is more direction than just "take the entire map" in the campaign. I am sure the DLC will add the Tomb Kings, as they are apparently on the map (got it, but my cold prevented me from playing it last night).

Also, they are going to release a Mortal Realms expansion (free if you own both) that allows you to play all the factions on both maps.
e1123

Post by e1123 »

Playing a Teclis campaign. So far, I'm enjoying this more than the first one. There's a lot more strategy necessary. Plus, one of his quest battles is awesome. And to be honest, four races isn't that much different from the first one.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

I'm pretty bummed that 3/4s of the playable races right now are bad guys. I don't really enjoy being the bad guys.

Guess I will just play elves for now. But I might have to wait for the blood patch to keep playing. It just seems weird seeing little people hack away at each other and no blood. And this is a thing that never bothered me before they started making blood pack dlcs. It never bothered me there was no blood in Empire or Napoleon.
abr

Post by abr »

Are they? I was under the impression, that the lizards are actually more on the light side.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Lizard men are definitely "good", but "good" in Warhammer is always a sketchy thing...

Basically, they have a game plan based on the writings of previous Slaan-mages who lived with the Old Ones, on how the world is supposed to be. If you are not part of the plan, you are part of the problem.

Likewise, I wouldn't call the High Elves terribly innocent, but they sure look Lawful when compared to their dark brethren!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Been playing a few different campaigns over the weekend, and loving it so far. Tons of polish and well honed mechanics, much more comprehensive help system, better balance to the building chains, etc. Just all around a more pleasant experience.

A couple of DLC predictions:
First, currently vampire counts inhabit the Khemri deserts, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out they will probably add the Tomb Kings there at some point.

Second, the new campaign map has huge expanses of water and lots of islands among other features. I expect a naval war DLC will be released at some point adding ships and naval battles to all factions.
Last edited by Sepiche on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I have read from unofficial sources that TWW won't have naval battles because warhammer naval stuff is a different IP, and has been sourced elsewhere.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I'm enjoying it, but I guess I'm an outlier because I feel that it's kind of a step backwards. With the way the rituals and gated technology trees are set up, all of the factions play the same way in the strategic portion, and only the armies themselves really seem to flavor them, whereas in the original different factions had completely different playstyles. Perhaps that's just because I came late into the first and the DLC had broadened things, but at this point I'm spoiled, I suppose.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Lizardmen campaign complete!

Everything was going swimmingly up until the final ritual. At that point, I was neck-and-neck with Lothern, so I sent two strong armies over to their island to wreak havoc (which they did quite successfully). This weakened my home defenses, but I was confident that the remaining forces would be more than enough to defend against the hordes of chaos and ratmen that the ritual would attract.

Unfortunately, I underestimated just how many hordes would show up on my doorstep. Two of my three ritual sites were razed, including the capital, and my treasury was draining rapidly as I raised new armies to rush into battle.

I eventually re-took the ritual sites on the final turn before the ritual completed -- and even then, I only won because of the Lizardman rite that instantly raises an army of feral jungle beasts right next to their capital.

After this struggle, the final battle was pretty much a cakewalk. A bloody, messy, fun cakewalk.

I'll probably take a break before trying another campaign, but the Skaven look very interesting...
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I'm really struggling to enjoy this for some reason. I have over 1600 hours into the first one and really enjoyed myself, but I'm getting put off here. I *think* it is in part that the graphics are painful to look at and that the battles haven't felt very tactical. I don't know.

Considering I also gave up on XCom2:WoTC after playing Xcom2 to death, maybe the problem is just me. :(
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Freyland wrote:I have read from unofficial sources that TWW won't have naval battles because warhammer naval stuff is a different IP, and has been sourced elsewhere.
CA insists that's not the case, but that it's strictly a matter of resources. They aren't ruling out naval combat, but they don't want to invest time into it until lots of other stuff is perfected.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

If it's accompanied by a sale, I'm all over that.
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image

Holman

Post by Holman »

So... anyone tried to new free expansion?

I haven't bought TWW2 yet because I'm just not thrilled about the races (at least not as playables). Now, though, doing so would get me the whole shebang.

What does it really add to Old World play?
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Well, it gives you a big-ass map for Total Warhammering. I'm playing as the Dark Elves in my Mortal Empires game, so I haven't gotten over the Old World yet, but I hope to eventually stomp all over my old stomping grounds.

In terms of gameplay, I think the biggest difference from TWW1 is that every race can occupy every settlement, although an inhospitable location may have penalties to stability and growth. This means that Dwarfs and Greenskins can come down from the mountains and extend their empires into areas that were previously off-limits.
Holman

Post by Holman »

So if I'm boring and start an Empire campaign, what's different? Is it the same as TWW1, but with more enemies and a larger world map?

(I'm trying to convince myself to buy TWW2 for this, but it's a bit out of my budget.)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Well, it's not like the game is going to up and leave before you buy it, and if it's like previous TW games, it will only get better with time. Maybe wait for a sale?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Holman wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:32 pm So if I'm boring and start an Empire campaign, what's different? Is it the same as TWW1, but with more enemies and a larger world map?

(I'm trying to convince myself to buy TWW2 for this, but it's a bit out of my budget.)
As far as I'm aware the new map doesn't have the events of either previous campaign (vortex events/chaos invasion), but is more of a sandbox. It's basically both maps smooshed together and slightly scaled down. It also has the new climate system from WH2 which allows you to hold any province, but with penalties if it's outside your preferred climate. That actually makes for quite a different game than you might be used to with WH1.

All that said, if you're on a budget, it's not a vastly different experience, and you'd probably be better served by waiting for a sale.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Thanks both!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Skaven have been busy...
The Laboratory Mode for Total War: Warhammer 2 will be playable for free on the 14th December 2017. The Laboratory’s sliders allow for game variables to be tweaked, pushing battles in new and ridiculous directions. You can massively ramp-up unit sizes, remove the bounds of gravity, and increase impact force tenfold to create scenes pure chaos.

ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Holman wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:32 pm So if I'm boring and start an Empire campaign, what's different? Is it the same as TWW1, but with more enemies and a larger world map?

Also be aware it runs pretty slowly because of all the factions. So there’s going to be a lot of waiting between turns unless you’ve got a very beefy computer.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

And an SSD is a very good idea.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Been playing a Khemri game with the new expansion, and loving it so far. For anyone that thinks the factions play a little too similar, the Tomb Kings have some interesting changes to the standard formula.

The biggest one is they don't pay recruitment costs for any units, and they don't pay upkeep for units. They are kept in balance by individual unit and army caps. For instance you start with only being able to support 1 army, but there are ancient dynasties you can research that give +1 army cap, plus a couple other ways. As far as units go, you can recruit unlimited numbers of basic skeleton sword and spear units, but anything better (chariots, ushabti, archers) are limited by a cap on each unit type that can be increased by building more recruitment facilities. It sounds odd, but in practice it works well to keep them in line with other factions, but gives the Tomb Kings some interesting traits, like being able to rebuild a full army in just a few turns at no cost. I kind of hope they revamp (ha!) the vampire counts to use a similar system, as it feels a little more right for the undead somehow.

Another interesting feature is they can construct items. By completing quests and defeating armies they collect canopic jars which, along with having access to different trade resources, lets them manufacture magic items. Those canopic jars are also used to resurrect great tomb kings from previous dynasties once you unlock those dynasties, unlock regiments of renown, and a few other things. It makes me wonder if they are going to implement an item construction feature for other factions as well.

On the battlefield they play a bit like a weird variant of the vampire counts (one of the Tomb King Legendary Lords can actually recruit some vampire count units). Their skeleton suck in general, although with a few buffs from your general and some magic, they do seem to have some staying power. Once you lock the enemy in place with your cheap skeletons, that's when you can flank with your cheap, plentiful chariots, or cavalry. Plus the really high end, late game units are amazingly strong. Haven't got to try the hierotitan yet, but the warsphinx Settra starts with is the only way I was able to survive the early game... it's incredible at breaking down gates and slaughtering infantry units. Settra himself starts off a bit weak, especially if your enemy has fire magic, but after some upgrades he can get pretty strong.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I just finished a short Vortex campaign with the Tomb Kings. They are a lot of fun! By the end, Settra the Imperishable was leading a force of multiple Warsphynxes, Necrosphynxes, Hierophants, and Caskets of Souls, plowing through the soft underbelly of Lothern. It's very nice not to have to worry about upkeep costs in the endgame.
Holman

Post by Holman »

So I'm thinking I'll pick up TWW2 (and of course Mortal Empires) soon.

How do mods work for Mortal Empires? If I wanted to use the Steel Faith Overhaul with it, do I need to load just SFO II (the one for TWW2), or do I need both SFO (for TWW1) and SFO II (for TWW2)?

Are there issues with mods and Mortal Empires, or do mods for TWW2 generally work seamlessly with it?

Probably a dumb question, but I've mismanaged mods in the past.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Just need SFO2. Excellent mod, btw.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Thanks!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Trying to get into this as I never gave it a fair shake the first time, only reaching turn 85-100 in the Vampire Counts campaign before moving on to something else shiny. Son has #2 but I can't help but feel this game deserves better than I've given it, so I'm back.

There is a little too much going on for me to feel comfortable and the few comments I come across all imply that your first few turns are extremely important, so I've got some new player paralysis going on. I'm playing the VCs again and despite making it a decent ways last time I've on turn 8 and unsure what to do next and afraid of making a mistake. Strangely I'm having trouble finding a detailed guide to get me on my feet. Lots of "take this then that then defend this then raze that" but I'm looking for more details.

I'll read the thread front to back to see if there is anything here that can help.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've never tried the VCs. Their lack of ranged absolutely turns me off to them, as it neutralizes most of my favorite battle strategies.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Overrunning everything with undead just seems like a great theme. I get that no ranged limits options but cheap, early massed units are going to outlast early ranged units anyway. Late game you should have enough mobility to eat all the faces. You're still limited though. Variety being the spice of life (but not undeath) after all.

I keep trying to read up on the VC and I keep getting overwhelmed with info. Let's start with 1 simple question. I'm playing as VC and picked Mannfred. Who/what should be my first recruited Lord? Vampire or Necromancer?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:44 am Variety being the spice of life (but not undeath) after all.
Unless the undead are pirates, of course. The Vampire Coast factions have undead ranged units.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Or mummies. But both of those are for WH2.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)