Let's Play Together: GM'd Battletech via Megamek II

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

El Guapo

Re: Let's Play Together: GM'd Battletech via Megamek II

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:37 pm As a note, the Maxim wound up having to move this turn after the enemy vehicles. Going forward, you'll want to issue it directions for the next turn, and the pilot will attempt to follow them as much as possible (unless she whiffs another 4+ driving roll and crashes into a building).
She, eh? #Feminism #XenaMechWarriorPrincess
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So the J. Edgar drove into the same space as the Firestarter? It can do that without colliding?
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Right. You can stack mechs and vehicles on the same space. I believe it's 1 mech, 2 vehicles. Vehicles can enter a space with an enemy mech, but can't go through (and, likewise, mechs can enter spaces with enemy vehicles but not go through). However, vehicles cannot enter a space with an enemy vehicle.

Edit: Oh yeah, and unless you're infantry, you can't shoot into your own hex. But you can kick vehicles scurrying about underfoot.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FIrestarter - turn twice, then back up to 0525. Fire everything at the J. Edgar.
Hunchback - if I'm not mistaken no one has LOS on me right now except for the Wasp. So, turn to the right and fire the AC20 and the two medium lasers at the Wasp (save the small laser so as to not increase heat).

Don't feel too strongly about what the Maxim does. I would leave that to the driver's discretion, though I guess I'd advise turning south and getting behind the assassin, as that road (three light mechs plus the vindicator) seems doable, and the northern road would expose it to the Dervish's LRMs (and possibly to the Saladin).
Black Lives Matter.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Would hex 0931 be able to fire on 1029 or is LOS blocked?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Blocked by the building in 1030.
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Urg. Well, the Assassin will jump to 1131 and shoot the medium lasers at the Wasp's back. The Centurion will back up 3 spaces and fire the large laser and the LRMs at the Locust.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:57 pm Backup to 0917, two to rotate to N, two to move to 0915. Engage the Pegasus.

WH jump to 0925, facing NE, firing on the Galleon.
The first move would cost 5 MP, which puts you into "run" territory, and you can't run if you back up. However, you can accomplish the same goal by running down the street to the right or jumping.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Let's jump, then.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

The Maxim recovers from window shopping by firing SRMs and machineguns from its turret on the J. Edgar. Between that and a small laser from the Firestarter, bits of the little tank come off and it settles gently onto the pavement. The Firestarter does catch a stray SRM to the right torso, but it's barely a scratch.

El Guapo's Hunchback catches one of the enemy bug mechs as they round the corner, coring out the center torso completely.

Isgrimnur puts a couple of LRMs into the building where the Pegasus is "taking cover", even as his PPC and laser go wide. After a few seconds though, his sensors show the vehicle as powered down and he moves on.

The assassin sticks a difficult jump, the cramped cockpit making it all the more difficult, but has no attention to spare as a result on actually shooting his target Wasp. But that's ok, by the time he gets there, it's already a pile of debris on the ground.

Raw movement, firing, heat data:
Spoiler:
Warhammer WHM-6D (1st Octopus Overlords) must make a piloting skill check while moving in hex 0921 (running & turning on pavement).
Needs 3 [4 (Base piloting skill) - 1 (running & turning on pavement)], rolls 4 : succeeds.

Assassin ASN-21 (1st Octopus Overlords) must make a piloting skill check (jumped in high gravity).
Needs 6 [5 (Base piloting skill) + 1 (cramped cockpit) + 0 (jumped in high gravity)], rolls 6 : succeeds.

Weapon Attack Phase
-------------------

Weapons fire for Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (Standard) (1st Octopus Overlords)
    SRM 6 at J. Edgar Light Hover Tank (ICE) (Capellan Confederation); needs 8, rolls 8 : 2 missile(s) hit (using Left Side table).

J. Edgar Light Hover Tank (ICE) (Capellan Confederation) takes 2 damage to LS.
            14 Armor remaining.

J. Edgar Light Hover Tank (ICE) (Capellan Confederation) takes 2 damage to TU.
            18 Armor remaining.

Machine Gun at J. Edgar Light Hover Tank (ICE) (Capellan Confederation); needs 8, rolls 8 : hits (using Left Side table) RR
        J. Edgar Light Hover Tank (ICE) (Capellan Confederation) takes 2 damage to RR.
            8 Armor remaining.
            Chance for motive system damage. Roll is 14; (w/ +5 bonus)
             Major damage, vehicle immobile.

Machine Gun at J. Edgar Light Hover Tank (ICE) (Capellan Confederation); needs 8, rolls 6 : misses

Machine Gun at J. Edgar Light Hover Tank (ICE) (Capellan Confederation); needs 8, rolls 4 : misses

Weapons fire for Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Large Laser at J. Edgar Light Hover Tank (ICE) (Capellan Confederation); needs 10, rolls 6 : misses

Small Laser at J. Edgar Light Hover Tank (ICE) (Capellan Confederation); needs 10, rolls 10 : hits (using Right Side table) RS
        J. Edgar Light Hover Tank (ICE) (Capellan Confederation) takes 3 damage to RS.
            13 Armor remaining.
            Chance for motive system damage. Roll is 10; (w/ +5 bonus)
             Heavy damage, +3 to driving skill rolls, 1/2 MP.

Small Laser at J. Edgar Light Hover Tank (ICE) (Capellan Confederation); needs 10, rolls 8 : misses

Flamer at J. Edgar Light Hover Tank (ICE) (Capellan Confederation); needs 10, rolls 3 : misses

Weapons fire for J. Edgar Light Hover Tank (ICE) (Capellan Confederation)
    Medium Laser at Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 6 : misses

SRM 2 at Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 6 : misses

SRM 2 at Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 7 : 1 missile(s) hit.

Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to RT.
            9 Armor remaining.

Weapons fire for Wasp WSP-1A (Capellan Confederation)
    Medium Laser at Hunchback HBK-4G #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 8, rolls 4 : misses

SRM 2 at Hunchback HBK-4G #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 8, rolls 6 : misses

Weapons fire for Warhammer WHM-6D (1st Octopus Overlords)
    PPC at Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Capellan Confederation); needs 10, rolls 8 : misses

PPC at Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Capellan Confederation); needs 10, rolls 5 : misses

Weapons fire for Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation)
    Medium Laser at Centurion CN9-ALF (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 6 : misses

Medium Laser at Centurion CN9-ALF (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 8 : misses

Weapons fire for Centurion CN9-ALF (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Large Laser at Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation); needs 11, rolls 10 : misses

LRM 10 at Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation); needs 10, rolls 9 : misses

Medium Laser at Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation); needs 11, rolls 8 : misses

Weapons fire for Vindicator VND-1X (Capellan Confederation)
    PPC at Centurion CN9-ALF (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 12, rolls 9 : misses

LRM 5 at Centurion CN9-ALF (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 3 : misses

Weapons fire for Assassin ASN-21 (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Medium Laser at Wasp WSP-1A (Capellan Confederation); needs 11, rolls 2 : misses

SRM 2 at Wasp WSP-1A (Capellan Confederation); needs 11, rolls 5 : misses

Weapons fire for Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords)
    PPC at Pegasus Scout Hover Tank (Standard) #2 (Capellan Confederation); needs 7, rolls 5 : misses

LRM 5 at Pegasus Scout Hover Tank (Standard) #2 (Capellan Confederation); needs 10, rolls 10 : 2 missile(s) hit (using Left Side table).

Heavy Standard Building #1861800557 absorbs 2 points of damage.
        Pegasus Scout Hover Tank (Standard) #2 (Capellan Confederation) suffers no damage.

Medium Laser at Pegasus Scout Hover Tank (Standard) #2 (Capellan Confederation); needs 9, rolls 5 : misses

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4G #2 (1st Octopus Overlords)
    AC/20 (Tracer ammo) at Wasp WSP-1A (Capellan Confederation); needs 6, rolls 11 : hits CT
        Wasp WSP-1A (Capellan Confederation) takes 19 damage to CT.
            Armor destroyed.
             SECTION DESTROYED.
*** Wasp WSP-1A (Capellan Confederation) DESTROYED by damage! ***
            Critical hit on CT. Roll is 11; 2 locations.
            CRITICAL HIT on Standard Gyro.
            CRITICAL HIT on Engine.

Medium Laser at Wasp WSP-1A (Capellan Confederation); needs 7, rolls 10 : hits RA
        Wasp WSP-1A (Capellan Confederation) takes 5 damage to RA.
            Armor destroyed.
             2 Internal Structure remaining.
            Critical hit on RA. Roll is 8; 1 location.
            CRITICAL HIT on +Medium Laser.

Medium Laser at Wasp WSP-1A (Capellan Confederation); needs 7, rolls 6 : misses

Heat Phase
-------------------
Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 14 heat, sinks 11 heat and is now at 3 heat.
Warhammer WHM-6D (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 22 heat, sinks 20 heat and is now at 2 heat.
Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 18 heat, sinks 16 heat and is now at 2 heat.
Hunchback HBK-4G #2 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 13 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 4 heat.
Stinger STG-3R (Capellan Confederation) gains 2 heat, sinks 2 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation) gains 8 heat, sinks 8 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Vindicator VND-1X (Capellan Confederation) gains 14 heat, sinks 14 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Assassin ASN-21 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 10 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Centurion CN9-ALF (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 16 heat, sinks 16 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Vindicator VND-1R (Capellan Confederation) gains 2 heat, sinks 2 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Dervish DV-6M (Capellan Confederation) gains 2 heat, sinks 2 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Enlarge Image

The Galleon zips up to where the J. Edgar was just disabled, starting the U-turn just as it gets to the intersection. The Saladin, Dervish and Scorpion advance down the street to the north of the compound, while the enemy Vindicator 1R advances in parallel. The Saracens hold position. The Locust and Stinger aggressively advance down the south street, cornering the Maxim, while the enemy Vindicator 1X holds position.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Too bad we likely won't have time to salvage this match. Those Pegasuseseses would make for fun bumper cars back at base.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Let's put the Warhammer at 0929, firing on the Locust.

And I want to be at 1114 facing due South for the other Vindy if he moves to 1119. I'll make the roll if one's needed.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

The Assassin will move to 1032 (which I believe is still walking), and fire at the locust with both medium lasers. Does he need a piloting roll to punch, and does he take the cramped cockpit penalty?

The Centurion will stay put and fire her lasers at the Stinger in front of her and fire the LRMs at the Vindicator if the to hit roll isn't too heinous. She will also melee the stinger if it survives.
Last edited by gbasden on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Not sure there are a ton of really critical tasks for my mechs, but these seem like the best options:

Firestarter - run down to 0531. Fire the small lasers and large laser at the stinger. Kick him as well.
Hunchback - (should be facing south per my previous orders) - run down to 1132. Torso twist to the right (suck it Isgrimnur!), and fire the two medium lasers and the small laser at the Locust. Save the AC/20 as it's probably unnecessary and I can sink my heat.

Related question - how much AC/20 ammo do I have?

For the maxim it probably makes sense to power forward as far as it can, since there's nothing its way at the moment (other than the locust), and it's firepower isn't really needed. Though it can fire any turret weapons back at the Locust, I suppose.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:40 pm Not sure there are a ton of really critical tasks for my mechs, but these seem like the best options:

Firestarter - run down to 0531. Fire the small lasers and large laser at the stinger. Kick him as well.
Hunchback - (should be facing south per my previous orders) - run down to 1132. Torso twist to the right (suck it Isgrimnur!), and fire the two medium lasers and the small laser at the Locust. Save the AC/20 as it's probably unnecessary and I can sink my heat.

For the maxim it probably makes sense to power forward as far as it can, since there's nothing its way at the moment (other than the locust), and it's firepower isn't really needed. Though it can fire any turret weapons back at the Locust, I suppose.
Not sure I can fix it without re-rolling the whole turn. Sorry. Plus, if you had made the turn, that would have generated an additional 1 heat (for "walking"), putting you into -1 MP heat territory. So, either way, no way you're making it to that hex (you can sprint, but that precludes firing).

Hunchback has 7 shots left of AC/20 ammo.

Also, the Firestarter has some vehicles in the way so it can't run to its destination (it can enter the disputed hex but can't cross it). You can jump, but that's a piloting roll and you'll be one hex short (normally it'd be 6/9/6, but is 5/8/5 because of the gravity).
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:52 am
El Guapo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:40 pm Not sure there are a ton of really critical tasks for my mechs, but these seem like the best options:

Not sure I can fix it without re-rolling the whole turn. Sorry. Plus, if you had made the turn, that would have generated an additional 1 heat (for "walking"), putting you into -1 MP heat territory. So, either way, no way you're making it to that hex (you can sprint, but that precludes firing).

Hunchback has 7 shots left of AC/20 ammo.

Also, the Firestarter has some vehicles in the way so it can't run to its destination (it can enter the disputed hex but can't cross it). You can jump, but that's a piloting roll and you'll be one hex short (normally it'd be 6/9/6, but is 5/8/5 because of the gravity).
Oh! I didn't see that Galleon underfoot (and under the other tank). I guess I'll stay put and fire the large and small lasers at the Galleon. Also kick it for good measure. One question related to the flamer: other than damage, it also heats the target, right? Can I tell what heat level the galleon is at? Also since firing the flamer also would put me at 6 heat - is it at 5 heat that you start getting a penalty?

Also unrelated question: if the Galleon weren't there, could I run through a hex with a disabled / immobilized tank in it?

Not really sure that there are any good options with the Hunchback, since I don't want to step in front of the Vindicator outside of cover, and I don't want to step in front of multiple things up north. What's the deal with moving backwards? What I would like to do is turn twice to the left, then back that ass up to 1130, just to get ready for things coming 'round the corner.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Flamers either do damage or heat the target up (your call when you fire it). Vehicles don't normally track heat, and when they do get heat from "external sources", it's basically a crit roll (so you might not actually get a crit).

5 heat is when you take -1 to your MP. At 8, you also take a +1 to your to-hit numbers.

With rules as written, you wouldn't be able to walk through a hex with an immobilized vehicle.

When backing up, you can only move your walking MP (4 for the Hunchback).
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:46 pm Flamers either do damage or heat the target up (your call when you fire it). Vehicles don't normally track heat, and when they do get heat from "external sources", it's basically a crit roll (so you might not actually get a crit).

5 heat is when you take -1 to your MP. At 8, you also take a +1 to your to-hit numbers.

With rules as written, you wouldn't be able to walk through a hex with an immobilized vehicle.

When backing up, you can only move your walking MP (4 for the Hunchback).
Ok. I'll hold off on firing the flamer for the firestarter (but fire everything else, and kick).

On the hunchback I'll move to 1128, and face towards 1228. I believe no one should have LOS on me.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Cramped cockpit doesn't appear to affect melee attacks.

Round 5:
The Maxim and Locust round the corner about the same time and fire off everything. The Assassin doesn't do much better, so the result is a whole lot of ordnance and lasers flying around, mostly cratering the street and surrounding buildings. The Assassin does manage to kick the Locust in the back of the right leg - it falls over, damaging the left torso.

The Firestarter scores a hit with the large laser, making the Galleon a lot less aerodynamic, taking a medium laser to the left torso in return, then follows up with a kick, but the Gellon remains mobile and zips away.

The Warhammer nails the Locust in the center torso, melting bits off the gyro.

The Centurion takes the Stinger apart more or less. The large laser slices off the right arm, a medium and small laser slice off the left arm. The LRM salvo to the distant Vindicator does nothing, while the enemy mech scores no hits. The Stinger dings the Centurion's left leg armor a little then dodges away from the counter-boot.

Raw movement, firing and heat data:
Spoiler:
Warhammer WHM-6D (1st Octopus Overlords) must make a piloting skill check while moving in hex 0925 (running & turning on pavement).
Needs 3 [4 (Base piloting skill) - 1 (running & turning on pavement)], rolls 3 : succeeds.

Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords) must make a piloting skill check while moving in hex 0914 (running & turning on pavement).
Needs 3 [4 (Base piloting skill) - 1 (running & turning on pavement)], rolls 3 : succeeds.

Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords) must make a piloting skill check while moving in hex 1013 (running & turning on pavement).
Needs 3 [4 (Base piloting skill) - 1 (running & turning on pavement)], rolls 7 : succeeds.

Weapon Attack Phase
-------------------

LRM 5 at Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation); needs 11, rolls 6 : misses

LRM 5 at Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation); needs 11, rolls 8 : misses

SRM 6 at Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation); needs 7, rolls 6 : misses

Machine Gun at Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation); needs 9, rolls 6 : misses

Machine Gun at Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation); needs 9, rolls 7 : misses

Machine Gun at Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation); needs 9, rolls 7 : misses

Large Laser at Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Capellan Confederation); needs 8, rolls 8 : hits (using Left Side table) RR
        Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Capellan Confederation) takes 8 damage to RR.
            3 Armor remaining.
            Chance for motive system damage. Roll is 8; (w/ +2 bonus)
             Moderate damage, +2 to driving skill rolls, -1 MP.

Small Laser at Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Capellan Confederation); needs 8, rolls 5 : misses

Small Laser at Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Capellan Confederation); needs 8, rolls 4 : misses

Weapons fire for Stinger STG-3R (Capellan Confederation)
    Medium Laser at Centurion CN9-ALF (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 5 : misses

Machine Gun at Centurion CN9-ALF (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 4 : misses

Machine Gun at Centurion CN9-ALF (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 8 : misses

PPC at Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation); needs 9, rolls 7 : misses

PPC at Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation); needs 9, rolls 10 : hits (using Right Side table) LT
        Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation) takes 10 damage to LT.
            Armor destroyed.
             3 Internal Structure remaining.
            Critical hit on LT. Roll is 8; 1 location.
            Location is empty, so criticals transfer to CT.
            CRITICAL HIT on Standard Gyro.

Weapons fire for Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation)
    Medium Laser at Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (Standard) (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 7 : misses

Medium Laser at Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (Standard) (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 3 : misses

Small Laser at Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (Standard) (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 13, rolls 3 : misses

Small Laser at Maxim Heavy Hover Transport (Standard) (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 13, rolls 7 : misses

PPC at Centurion CN9-ALF (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 5 : misses

LRM 5 at Centurion CN9-ALF (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 6 : misses

Medium Laser at Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation); needs 8, rolls 3 : misses

SRM 2 at Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation); needs 8, rolls 3 : misses

Weapons fire for Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Capellan Confederation)
    Medium Laser at Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 7 : hits LT
        Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 5 damage to LT.
            6 Armor remaining.

Small Laser at Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 3 : misses

Weapons fire for Centurion CN9-ALF (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Large Laser at Stinger STG-3R (Capellan Confederation); needs 7, rolls 7 : hits RA
        Stinger STG-3R (Capellan Confederation) takes 8 damage to RA.
            Armor destroyed.
             SECTION DESTROYED.
        1 damage transfers to RT.
            Critical hit on RA. Roll is 6; no effect.
        Stinger STG-3R (Capellan Confederation) takes 1 damage to RT.
            5 Armor remaining.

Medium Laser at Stinger STG-3R (Capellan Confederation); needs 7, rolls 10 : hits LA
        Stinger STG-3R (Capellan Confederation) takes 5 damage to LA.
            Armor destroyed.
             2 Internal Structure remaining.
            Critical hit on LA. Roll is 10; 2 locations.
            CRITICAL HIT on Shoulder.
            CRITICAL HIT on Upper Arm.

Medium Laser at Stinger STG-3R (Capellan Confederation); needs 7, rolls 11 : hits LT
        Stinger STG-3R (Capellan Confederation) takes 5 damage to LT.
            1 Armor remaining.

Small Laser at Stinger STG-3R (Capellan Confederation); needs 7, rolls 8 : hits LA
        Stinger STG-3R (Capellan Confederation) takes 3 damage to LA.
             SECTION DESTROYED.
        1 damage transfers to LT.
            Critical hit on LA. Roll is 6; no effect.
        Stinger STG-3R (Capellan Confederation) takes 1 damage to LT.
            0 Armor remaining.

LRM 10 at Vindicator VND-1X (Capellan Confederation); needs 7, rolls 6 : misses

Stinger STG-3R (Capellan Confederation) must make 1 piloting skill roll(s) (20+ damage).
The base target is 7 [6 (Base piloting skill) + 1 (cramped cockpit)].
    Roll #1, (6 (Base piloting skill) + 1 (cramped cockpit) + 1 (20+ damage)); needs 8, rolls 9 : succeeds.

Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation) must make 1 piloting skill roll(s) (gyro hit).
The base target is 7 [6 (Base piloting skill) + 1 (cramped cockpit)].
    Roll #1, (6 (Base piloting skill) + 1 (cramped cockpit) + 3 (gyro hit)); needs 10, rolls 11 : succeeds.

Physical Attack Phase
-------------------

Physical attacks for Stinger STG-3R (Capellan Confederation)
    Kick (Left leg) at Centurion CN9-ALF (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 6, rolls 12 : hits (using Kick table) RL
        Centurion CN9-ALF (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 4 damage to RL.
            20 Armor remaining.

Physical attacks for Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Kick (Left leg) at Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Capellan Confederation); needs 5, rolls 7 : hits (using Left Side table) LS
        Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Capellan Confederation) takes 7 damage to LS.
            3 Armor remaining.

Physical attacks for Centurion CN9-ALF (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Kick (Left leg) at Stinger STG-3R (Capellan Confederation); needs 5, rolls 4 : misses.

Physical attacks for Assassin ASN-21 (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Kick (Left leg) at Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation); needs 5, rolls 10 : hits (using Rear Kick table) RL
        Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation) takes 8 damage to RL.
            0 Armor remaining.

Critical hit on RL. Roll is 5; no effect.

Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation) must make 1 piloting skill roll(s) (was kicked).
The base target is 10 [6 (Base piloting skill) + 3 (Gyro damaged) + 1 (cramped cockpit)].
    Roll #1, (6 (Base piloting skill) + 3 (Gyro damaged) + 1 (cramped cockpit) + 0 (was kicked)); needs 10, rolls 6 : falls.
    Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation) falls on its right side, suffering 2 damage.
        Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation) takes 2 damage to LT.
             1 Internal Structure remaining.
            Critical hit on LT. Roll is 6; no effect.

Pilot of Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation) "Mac Tathouris" must roll 10 to avoid damage; rolls 3 : fails.
        Pilot of Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation) "Mac Tathouris" takes 1 damage (1 total hits).
        Pilot of Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation) "Mac Tathouris" needs a 3 to stay conscious. Rolls 9 : successful!

Centurion CN9-ALF (1st Octopus Overlords) must make 2 piloting skill roll(s) (was kicked; missed a kick).
The base target is 4 [4 (Base piloting skill)].
    Roll #1, (4 (Base piloting skill) + 0 (was kicked) + 0 (missed a kick)); needs 4, rolls 12 : succeeds.
    Roll #2, (4 (Base piloting skill) + 0 (missed a kick) + 0 (was kicked)); needs 4, rolls 6 : succeeds.
Enlarge Image

The rest of the enemy force makes a push, advancing to the two avenues to the west of the compound. The enemy Vindicator 1X hops up on the wall for a better angle as well.

The Locust attempts to get up, but fails. The impact on the way back down causes the mechwarrior inside to black out as he dings his head on something. Unfortunately, he also blocks up the road pretty good, so it'll take some time for the Maxim to clear the obstacle (or go back around). The Stinger is completely disarmed (both literally and figuratively), so the mechwarrior chooses to make a break for the nearest edge of the board (unit is under forced withdrawal and will not attack unless attacked first). Well, he tries to make a break for it, but falls over instead, blocking the road.

Your sensors inform you that the enemies that were previously out on patrol will be coming back within the next ten seconds.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

If I moved the Hunchback to 1527 (and turned left):

(1) Could I punch the vindicator, and could the vindicator kick me? I think not, since he's on a building two stories up?

(2) He can shoot me with his right arm (the PPC) from that angle, right? Albeit below minimum range?

(3) Can the LRM10 single turret shoot at me?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So can the Maxim not move through the hex with the Locust? Is it trapped there?
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

1) Nope, no physical attacks at or from the Vindicator from 1527.
2) Yes.
3) No.

The Maxim can move through the Locust's hex in two turns - one to get into the hex and one to get out.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ok, I'll move the Hunchback to 1527, face the Vindicator, and fire everything at it. I guess I might as well kick the building in front of me too.

Firestarter will jump to 0530 and fire lasers at the Stinger.

Maxim should move into the Locust's hex, since it can't really do anything else.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Vindy to 1116, which should be a range of 3 to my counterpart, allowing me to open up with everything.

WH jump and pirouette to 0929, again anticipated range of 3, to face the Dervish with a full strike.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:22 pm Vindy to 1116, which should be a range of 3 to my counterpart, allowing me to open up with everything.

WH jump and pirouette to 0929, again anticipated range of 3, to face the Dervish with a full strike.
All of that works (I assume you're actually talking about going to hex 0928, rather than spinning around in place), but this variant of the Warhammer still doesn't have jump jets. Just for future reference in case you want to hop over some buildings or something.

Also, for optimum PPC range, you want to be 4 hexes away. The formula is "minimum range - range to target + 1" (to a minimum of 0).
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That works. And I want jumpjets, damit! :tjg:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:31 pm That works. And I want jumpjets, damit! :tjg:
Although if you just stay in your hex and turn around, you get the benefit of the defensive fortifications in your hex.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There is that. Let’s go with that.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Fiona will step into the hex with the Stinger in order to progress past next turn. While passing through, she somehow resists the urge to perform a teabag maneuver. If by some miracle she has LOS on the Vindicator, she will fire the large laser and LRMs.

The Assassin will move to 0931 and fire the LRMs at the Dervish. I'm assuming at long range the to hit numbers for the medium lasers would be untenable.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Round 6:
"Whoa, whoa, watch your fire!" The Centurion pilot admonishes the Firestarter as a large laser cuts into some nearby pavement, hitting closer to the Centurion's feet than the prone Stinger.

"Why don't you watch where you step, you ..." the rest of Firestarter pilot's reply is a mixture of garbled transmission and aggravated-sounding mumbling.

[Normally, you can't step over a mech with a mech, but I hacked the save game this time for expediency - the Centurion could also have gone through an adjacent building to achieve the same goal of no LOS to anything].

The Warhammer turns around and fires at the Dervish, hitting with both PPCs (center torso and right leg) while missing with the medium lasers. The "heat warning" indicators spike and Scrub is going to have to cool down next turn. The Assassin helps out with the Dervish a little, landing a few LRMs, then manages to duck under a string of AC/20 rounds from the Saladin. The Dervish and wall-top Vindicator fire at the Warhammer as well, scoring a few LRM and SRM hits, with the Dervish also sparing a few LRMs for the Assassin.

Isgrimnur scores a PPC hit on the his Vindicator opponent, taking a medium laser in return while ducking under a barrage of SRMs and LRMs from the Saracen.

El Guapo's AC/20 shots go wide, but he hits with all the laser shots.

All in all, a few hits but no armor breaches this round.

Raw movement, firing, heat data:
Spoiler:
Hunchback HBK-4G #2 (1st Octopus Overlords) must make a piloting skill check while moving in hex 1228 (running & turning on pavement).
Needs 3 [4 (Base piloting skill) - 1 (running & turning on pavement)], rolls 4 : succeeds.

Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords) must make a piloting skill check (jumped in high gravity).
Needs 4 [4 (Base piloting skill) + 0 (jumped in high gravity)], rolls 8 : succeeds.

Offboard Attack Phase
-------------------

Weapon Attack Phase
-------------------

Weapons fire for Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Capellan Confederation)
    AC/5 at Warhammer WHM-6D (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 6 : misses

LRM 5 at Dervish DV-6M (Capellan Confederation); needs 7, rolls 5 : misses

LRM 5 at Dervish DV-6M (Capellan Confederation); needs 7, rolls 6 : misses

Weapons fire for Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) (Capellan Confederation)
    LRM 10 at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 11, rolls 3 : misses

SRM 2 at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 6 : misses

SRM 2 at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 9 : misses

SRM 2 at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 6 : misses

Large Laser at Stinger STG-3R (Capellan Confederation); needs 11, rolls 9 : misses

Weapons fire for Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) #2 (Capellan Confederation)
    LRM 10 at Warhammer WHM-6D (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 11, rolls 6 : misses

Weapons fire for Saladin Assault Hover Tank (Standard) (Capellan Confederation)
    AC/20 at Assassin ASN-21 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 7 : misses

PPC at Dervish DV-6M (Capellan Confederation); needs 8, rolls 9 : hits CT
        Dervish DV-6M (Capellan Confederation) takes 10 damage to CT.
            10 Armor remaining.

PPC at Dervish DV-6M (Capellan Confederation); needs 8, rolls 9 : hits RL
        Dervish DV-6M (Capellan Confederation) takes 10 damage to RL.
            5 Armor remaining.

Medium Laser at Dervish DV-6M (Capellan Confederation); needs 10, rolls 9 : misses

Medium Laser at Dervish DV-6M (Capellan Confederation); needs 10, rolls 7 : misses

Weapons fire for Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Capellan Confederation)
    Medium Laser at Warhammer WHM-6D (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 8, rolls 5 : misses

Weapons fire for Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords)
    PPC at Vindicator VND-1R (Capellan Confederation); needs 7, rolls 11 : hits LL
        Vindicator VND-1R (Capellan Confederation) takes 10 damage to LL.
            8 Armor remaining.

LRM 5 at Vindicator VND-1R (Capellan Confederation); needs 10, rolls 8 : misses

Medium Laser at Vindicator VND-1R (Capellan Confederation); needs 9, rolls 2 : misses

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4G #2 (1st Octopus Overlords)
    AC/20 (Tracer ammo) at Vindicator VND-1X (Capellan Confederation); needs 7, rolls 5 : misses

Medium Laser at Vindicator VND-1X (Capellan Confederation); needs 8, rolls 9 : hits RL (critical)
        Vindicator VND-1X (Capellan Confederation) takes 5 damage to RL (critical).
            13 Armor remaining.
            Critical hit on RL. Roll is 3; no effect.

Medium Laser at Vindicator VND-1X (Capellan Confederation); needs 8, rolls 9 : hits RT (critical)
        Vindicator VND-1X (Capellan Confederation) takes 5 damage to RT (critical).
            11 Armor remaining.
            Critical hit on RT. Roll is 5; no effect.

Small Laser at Vindicator VND-1X (Capellan Confederation); needs 8, rolls 8 : hits LA
        Vindicator VND-1X (Capellan Confederation) takes 3 damage to LA.
            11 Armor remaining.

PPC at Warhammer WHM-6D (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 8, rolls 7 : misses

LRM 5 at Warhammer WHM-6D (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 11 : 3 missile(s) hit.

Warhammer WHM-6D (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 3 damage to LA.
            19 Armor remaining.

Medium Laser at Warhammer WHM-6D (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 7 : misses

Machine Gun at Hunchback HBK-4G #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 5 : misses

Machine Gun at Hunchback HBK-4G #2 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 10 : hits RA
        Hunchback HBK-4G #2 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to RA.
            14 Armor remaining.

LRM 5 at Dervish DV-6M (Capellan Confederation); needs 8, rolls 12 : 3 missile(s) hit.

Dervish DV-6M (Capellan Confederation) takes 3 damage to LA.
            7 Armor remaining.

Medium Laser at Dervish DV-6M (Capellan Confederation); needs 12, rolls 11 : misses

SRM 2 at Dervish DV-6M (Capellan Confederation); needs 12, rolls 11 : misses

Weapons fire for Vindicator VND-1R (Capellan Confederation)
    PPC at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 8, rolls 4 : misses

LRM 5 at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 11, rolls 8 : misses

Medium Laser at Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 11 : hits RT
        Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 5 damage to RT.
            11 Armor remaining.

Weapons fire for Dervish DV-6M (Capellan Confederation)
    LRM 10 at Assassin ASN-21 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 6 : misses

LRM 10 at Assassin ASN-21 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 7 : 10 missile(s) hit.

Assassin ASN-21 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 5 damage to RA.
            1 Armor remaining.

Assassin ASN-21 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 5 damage to LT.
            5 Armor remaining.

Medium Laser at Warhammer WHM-6D (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 5 : misses

SRM 2 at Warhammer WHM-6D (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 7 : misses

Medium Laser at Warhammer WHM-6D (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 9 : misses

SRM 2 at Warhammer WHM-6D (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 10 : 2 missile(s) hit.

Warhammer WHM-6D (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to RA.
            20 Armor remaining.

Warhammer WHM-6D (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to RT.
        Needs 7+ to destroy Searchlight, rolls 5.
            20 Armor remaining.

Dervish DV-6M (Capellan Confederation) must make 1 piloting skill roll(s) (20+ damage).
The base target is 6 [6 (Base piloting skill)].
    Roll #1, (6 (Base piloting skill) + 1 (20+ damage)); needs 7, rolls 8 : succeeds.

Physical Attack Phase
-------------------

Physical attacks for Hunchback HBK-4G #2 (1st Octopus Overlords)
    Kick (Left leg) at Hex 1526 of Building #1649112234 (Collapse), the kick is an automatic hit (Targeting adjacent building.), hits.
        Heavy Standard Building #1649112234 absorbs 10 points of damage.

Heat Phase
-------------------
Firestarter FS9-K2 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 13 heat, sinks 11 heat and is now at 4 heat.
Warhammer WHM-6D (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 27 heat, sinks 20 heat and is now at 11 heat.
Vindicator VND-1R (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 16 heat, sinks 16 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Hunchback HBK-4G #2 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 16 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 3 heat.
Stinger STG-3R (Capellan Confederation) gains 2 heat, sinks 2 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Locust LCT-1E (Capellan Confederation) gains 2 heat, sinks 2 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Vindicator VND-1X (Capellan Confederation) gains 18 heat, sinks 15 heat and is now at 3 heat.
Assassin ASN-21 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 8 heat, sinks 8 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Centurion CN9-ALF (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 0 heat, sinks 3 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Vindicator VND-1R (Capellan Confederation) gains 17 heat, sinks 16 heat and is now at 1 heat.
Dervish DV-6M (Capellan Confederation) gains 20 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 10 heat.
Enlarge Image

The additional Capellan lances arrive and immediately zip into action. A pair of Saladins try to box El Guapo in. Sensors also show an unarmed Swiftwind scout car screeching tires towards the compound.

BTW, some rules for building interaction:

1) If a building is one or two levels above your current elevation, you can climb on top as if it were elevated terrain (as long as your weight is lower than the building's CF)
2) You can attempt to move *through* a building, but you run the risk of there being a basement (you can't go through the compound walls though, but you can still climb on top)
3) If you have jump jets, you can clear buildings that as tall as your jump MP or shorter.

I would not advise remaining on top of a building unless its CF is *significantly* higher than your mech's weight, as damage may drop the building's CF. And then the building collapses.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Back the Warhammer to 0830, fire only if not risking catastrophic overheating (1-2 med laser at the Saladin?)

And since the Galleon has decided it wants to sit up close, we will light it up with the Vindy.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

With the -2 MP penalty, I don't think the Warhammer has the range to do that (it's down to 2/3 from 4/6, currently)
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Then I suppose he can stay put.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

The Assassin will run to 0928 as I assume I need to go around the Warhammer. He will fire the medium lasers and try to kick the Saracen.

The Centurion will run to 1029 and will fire the large laser and medium lasers at the Vindicator.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

gbasden wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:53 am The Assassin will run to 0928 as I assume I need to go around the Warhammer. He will fire the medium lasers and try to kick the Saracen.
You can walk through friendly units.
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

NickAragua wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:43 pm
gbasden wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:53 am The Assassin will run to 0928 as I assume I need to go around the Warhammer. He will fire the medium lasers and try to kick the Saracen.
You can walk through friendly units.
Oh. Sweet!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

How does the game determine hitting side/ arc when units are in the same space? Like, say I backed my Hunchback up into the same space as the Saracen in 1427. It's facing 1527, and can only fire forward. I assume that it can hit units in the same space as it? More importantly, if it shoots at me in the same space as it, does it hit me in the front? In the back?

Also, can either of the Saracens in 0927 or 1126 hit 1029? I think the building in 1027 blocks LOS to that space?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also, I could move onto the building in 1526? Since it works the same as elevated terrain, I assume it would take 3 MP to move into 1526? Then another 3 MP to move into 1525?
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Units generally cannot fire at units in the same space (unless they happen to be infantry). Stomping a vehicle in the same hex damages a random location.

The one in 0927 can hit 1029, the one in 1126 cannot.

Your evaluation of hopping over the wall at 1526 is correct.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:11 am Units generally cannot fire at units in the same space (unless they happen to be infantry). Stomping a vehicle in the same hex damages a random location.

The one in 0927 can hit 1029, the one in 1126 cannot.

Your evaluation of hopping over the wall at 1526 is correct.
Thanks. And at 1525, none of the vehicles outside of the compound / building should be able to hit me, on account of the level 2 building behind me, although the vindicator and the small laser turrets could, right? Could the single LRM10 turret hit me?

If so I'll move to 1525, torso twist to the left, and fire everything at the Vindicator.

On the firestarter, 0826 can't hit 0927, right? If so I'll jump the firestarter to 0932 and fire the large laser at the Saracen. Other weapons too if the targeting #s and heat make sense (which I think they probably won't).

Maxim should get to the safest position closest to the compound that he can.
Black Lives Matter.