Overwatch : Blizzard FPS

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zarathud

Re: Overwatch : Blizzard FPS

Post by Zarathud »

She likes D.Va (cute, lots of health and has 2 lives), Moria (defender, healer), Reaper (cool, goes invisible and shoots fast), and Genji (blocks incoming fire, ninja, jumps forward).

She likes to stand behind other players, and her less aggressive play means she lives longer than she should. As Reaper she'll turn invisible but barely move behind something, ending up in more misdirection than if she ran away.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
stessier

Post by stessier »

I got this for the Xbox but figure the PC version should be the same. I completed the tutorial, but have no idea what I am doing. My team won every game for over an hour, but i don't know how to judge my performance. Is there a mode that is good to get my feet wet in? Is there a place where i can get a handle on all the different characters? There are so many!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:24 am I got this for the Xbox but figure the PC version should be the same. I completed the tutorial, but have no idea what I am doing. My team won every game for over an hour, but i don't know how to judge my performance. Is there a mode that is good to get my feet wet in? Is there a place where i can get a handle on all the different characters? There are so many!
Don't try. Pick two to learn, probably something straight forward. If you aren't sure, Lucio is a great starter character, as all you have to do is stay near your team. For the other, pick something whose job it is to shoot. McCree if you're good with shooters, Junkrat or Pharah if not, or Soldier 76 if you're so-so.

Once you have two learned and have a sense of the flow of the game, then expand that to one character of each type (support, offensive, defensive, etc.) From there you'll know what you need/want to work on.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

You were probably playing against bots at first. You can tell because they'll have names like Roadhog and Mercy.

I would pick a couple of characters as Blackhawk suggested and try then out in the practice range just to learn their mechanics. Start with someone straightforward like Soldier:76, d.Va, or Lucio. Characters like Winston and Zarya seem simple, but they require a lot of tactical sense that will come later.

Once you've tried a few against the bots st the range, jump into Quick Play and play against people. You'll lose some until you learn the maps. Just stick with it.
Rockalbert

Post by Rockalbert »

Last edited by Rockalbert on Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll try them out again this weekend.

Let's say I'm a shooter - how do I know if I've done a good job? Is there a stat tracker I can check? At the end of a match, it throws up 3-5 players for votes - how are those chosen? Should I be sad if I'm rarely on the list (I think I made it once out of the 10 or so games I played)?

I don't play with a headset - should I consider it? In the random matches, I've only had 2 with people who I could hear. They had to both have been about 12 and were surprisingly polite (given what I've heard about these games).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:04 pm Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll try them out again this weekend.

Let's say I'm a shooter - how do I know if I've done a good job? Is there a stat tracker I can check? At the end of a match, it throws up 3-5 players for votes - how are those chosen? Should I be sad if I'm rarely on the list (I think I made it once out of the 10 or so games I played)?

I don't play with a headset - should I consider it? In the random matches, I've only had 2 with people who I could hear. They had to both have been about 12 and were surprisingly polite (given what I've heard about these games).
I picked this up on the xBox One a month or two ago, and I'm still figuring this out. I played one or two matches with the headset on and promptly muted the other players - too many idiotic kids. I think I'd only do headset with a party of friends (I'm Pyperkub on xBox Live). It sounds like your experience was better than mine however.

I don't know if the overwatchtracker is any value, but here's the xBox settings. As you are probably under level 20, I think only quickplay is available
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The cards at the end can represent many different things, such as number of kills, percentage of team health healed, amount of damage blocked or total gold medals. I wouldn't worry about the cards. They, like the PoTG, don't matter.

The in-game stats can be a good indicator of how you're doing. If you're playing an Offense hero you should be around the top of your team in damage or kills. If you're playing Mercy you shouldn't be second in healing behind Roadhog's self heal (yes, that happens).

Headshots are important in the game with many characters. If you want a shooter that doesn't depend on headshots, take Soldier:76. Use tight bursts and keep applying pressure. Pharah is also good for people not great at headshots.

One thing to keep in mind is that each character has another hero that you will be expected to shut down. If the other team has a Pharah that is wreaking havoc, Soldier:76 needs to take her down. That's his job. If Widowmaker is killing people left and right your Winston needs to step his game up. Don't be afraid to switch heroes in the middle of the game to counter a hero that's giving your team problems.

I can't speak for Xbox, but on the PC communication in Quick Play is so so. In competitive it's pretty much required. Some heroes only really work with communication. An example is Zarya. Her ultimate (a mini black hole that traps enemies) is amazing, but only if you communicate with your team. When Zarya's ultimate is ready she needs to let her team know and coordinate with her Pharah, Junkrat, Tracer or Hanzo so that they can launch their ultimate when she traps the enemy. As for the PoTG, if you are playing Zarya and trap five enemies in a black hole (which is really hard to do) and your Pharah (who was ready thanks to your communication) launches her ult and kills all five, Pharah will get PoTG even though everyone knows that Zarya was the real hero.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

This video is a great example of why PoTG isn't taken seriously.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Besides, it's a team based game, not a deathmatch. Performance isn't based on the number of kills you get, but on how you got them. The guy who stays back, knowing he'd see less action, but kept the enemies from capturing the point a couple of times may only get three or four kills, but he is the reason the team won, and is 'performing' better than the guy running halfway across the map to pad his kill count. A team with a skilled McCree, Reinhardt, and Mercy can kick ass and win the game - even though only one of them may get any kills.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

This weekend I got four gold medals (kills, damage, healing, objective time) as Moira. I've never done the most damage as a healer, especially in a win. I was luckily doing enough damage to be able to heal, which can be a big problem with Moira if she's the team's only healer.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Anyone interested in diving back in for the comp-stomp in Overwatch Retribution special event?
Overwatch is normally an excellent place to shoot at fellow first-person shooters, but for a few weeks every year you can take a crack at AI-controlled folk too. I’m not talking about those AI training robots – I’m talking about the game’s annual four-player cooperative event, previously seen in the form of last year’s Uprising. This year’s event is called Retribution, and has you playing McCree, Moira, Genji and Reyes (Reaper, pre-reapaning) as they carry out a mission that “ultimately led to the fall of Overwatch.”

It’s live right now, though the update’s 14 gigabytes should leave you plenty of time to read the rest of this post while it downloads.
FWIW, I play on xBox. I don't think it has cross-play, but I don't know.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Yeah enjoying the new mode. I'm on PC but yeah no xplay i think :(
fbarraza28

Post by fbarraza28 »

Spam
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I got sucked into Vermintide 2 for many months. It dominated my gameplay and I kept thinking that this game, while not as polished as Overwatch, might be my top FPS. I took a break one night and played a game of Overwatch and realized that it is indeed the king. One game was all it took to take over all of my gaming time. I can't believe how well this game has aged. This is my top game of all time.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I've played a couple matches after I picked it up from the Humble Bundle. But I don't have the ability to spend too much time deep in a game until January.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The good news is that quick play games don't take very long. But there are a lot of characters to try out and see which one(s) fits your style.

Blizzard has been very good about maintaining the game. They are constantly tweeking the abilities to maintain character balance. They've added several maps and a lot of heroes since launch:
Ana
Sombra
Orissa
Doomfist
Moira
Brigitte
Wrecking Ball

While I haven't been a fan of all of those heroes, I LOVE Moira and I play her the most now.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

McNutt wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:07 pm I can't believe how well this game has aged. This is my top game of all time.
Aged? It's two years old. I don't think that qualifies as aged. It's still having a hard time walking and forming full sentences. (note: I don't really remember how two year olds are at walking or talking, my kids are way past that)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

What I mean is that I've never had a game that I played night after night for two and a half years. Maybe WoW, but that was more because I had so much invested into a character that I didn't want to stop, not because the game was still incredibly fun.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Ashe announced as the new hero. New animated short - "Reunion", featuring Ashe and McCree: I must say, the game holds zero appeal to me but their cinematics and animated shorts are really cool.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I've started putting time into characters that I rarely played in the past and it has definitely increased my desire to play this game. I played a few games as Reaper, McCree and Junkrat and really enjoyed them. Junkrat is one I only play if the other team is using a Bastion and Orissa or Rein combo as I can lob grenades in and neutralize him. Reaper is just a beast up close and he's great against tanks. Well, I still can't get Wrecking Ball with him because he's too fast. I've gotten much better at McCree's flashbang. That is nasty.

I want to like Wrecking Ball, but in order to get the most out of him you have to utilize his grappling hook spin move and that gives me motion sickness pretty quickly. I don't think he's in the cards for me. I still have a hard time against him with anybody other than Mei.

Brigitte is also a really fun hero. That stun is so damn fun.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Overwatch is implementing a Role Queue where games will now require 2 Tanks, 2 Support and 2 Damage heroes. When you search for a game you can request which roles you'd like with the search for a game possibly taking longer depending on your selection. So far it has placed me into game very quickly.

I'm very excited about this as I get tired of being thrown into a game where we have five damage and me as a healer, which happened a lot. Right now it's in Beta and will roll out to Quick Play September 1.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

How does that affect character swapping mid-match? Swapping to counter was always a fun part of Overwatch.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

You can still swap, but only within your role. So if you're a tank you can only switch to another tank.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The role queue has proven to be an incredible update for the game. I'm enjoying competitive play now. Everyone has a defined role and you no longer have a healer switching mid game to Genji or some nonsense. My teams are communicating well and we are making great adjustments. So far I have split my roles 50/50 between tank and healer and have been having a blast. The longest it's taken me to join a game has been 30 seconds. No surprises, more balanced teams and less toxicity than I experienced before, mostly because you don't have players feeling like they're being forced into a role they don't want. If you didn't want to be a healer you shouldn't have signed up to be a healer.

It also helps that they have added several tanks and healers to the game. I am really loving Baptiste and Brigitte. I'm pretty happy playing either of those or Reinhardt on Tank (Zarya if Rein is taken).

Three years later and this is still the only game I play.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Didn't realize they were pulling the plug on this when Overwatch 2 comes out:
If you had a sneaking suspicion that Blizzard’s currently in-beta hero shooter Overwatch 2 would affect the 2016 original game in some way, you were absolutely correct. It turns out that when the upcoming sequel drops on October 4, it will straight-up replace Overwatch, rendering that now seven-year-old game unplayable.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I figured they were - from the way they described it, it's less an Overwatch 2 and more of an Overwatch 2.0. A complete rework of the original game.