Nintendo Switch = NX

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Nintendo Switch = NX

Post by GreenGoo »

Kurth wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:58 am Yep. Planning on it. I need to give Zelda BotW a good shot, too.
Very solid action RPG. Good open world. Fun. Watched my daughter play all the way through, and have my own game going, although it's not a priority atm.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:22 pm
Kurth wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:58 am Yep. Planning on it. I need to give Zelda BotW a good shot, too.
Very solid action RPG. Good open world. Fun. Watched my daughter play all the way through, and have my own game going, although it's not a priority atm.
Yep. That's what I hear from everyone who's played this. The Switch was a present for my 4th grader for his birthday this past year, but he's gravitating more and more to XBOX games now. So sad . . . but then again, not for me! :) I watched him (and his older brother, 8th grade) play through Zelda, and they loved it. Definitely going to make this my first Switch game (and Nintendo game) to play through.

Also, just saw that lurl=https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/14/1664 ... mpressions] Rockstar's LA Noire[/url] just came out on the Switch to favorable reviews, too. That's a game I always wanted to play but missed. That may quickly find its way on to my holiday shopping list!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, the game library has taken a big jump in the past few weeks. Odyssey, Skyrim, Doom, LA Noire, and a boatload of eShop content:I jumped into CatQuest last night as recommended here a couple days ago, and it's solid. Also liking Graceful Explosion Machine.

And Xenoblade coming in a couple of weeks. The Switch may not have the volume of games of the PS4 or Xbone, but it's got enough, IMO, to fill the gaming slate of most folks for quite some time at this point.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Wasn't sure where to put this but Nintendo just took top honors at the Golden Joystick awards yesterday for Breath of the Wild. 8-)
-mf
stessier

Post by stessier »

Quick question....the controllers recharge whenever they are plugged into the tablet even when it is docked and turned off, right? The lack of documentation in the box is perplexing.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Correct.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Some kind folks here on OO thought it would be nice if my kids (and I) had a Switch, so one showed up at my door a few weeks before Christmas. As my kids occasionally browse OO, I wasn't able to mention it here, but I did thank everyone involved privately. In any case, I'm now Switching. I spent a few hours today with Mario Odyssey, and have Zelda high up on my to-do list.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
stessier

Post by stessier »

Continually switching cartridges has gotten quite annoying. The little door to open is quite tricky and i'm waiting for someone to break it. What a stupid design decision. :evil: Otherwise, still enjoying everything.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:56 am Continually switching cartridges has gotten quite annoying. The little door to open is quite tricky and i'm waiting for someone to break it. What a stupid design decision. :evil: Otherwise, still enjoying everything.
You really shouldn't be switching them continually. Pick a damn game!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:32 am
stessier wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:56 am Continually switching cartridges has gotten quite annoying. The little door to open is quite tricky and i'm waiting for someone to break it. What a stupid design decision. :evil: Otherwise, still enjoying everything.
You really shouldn't be switching them continually. Pick a damn game!
:P

I play Zelda. The kids always want to play Mario Kart. Makes for a lot of switching. We can't buy another Switch until I hit the lottery though.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, the cartridge port (along with the flimsy kickstand) are my only real beefs with the console.

I'm slowly coming around to buying digital copies of games that I don't expect to hold resale value well. Much more convenient. I got a 128 GB SD card on an Amazon sale awhile back for cheap.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I've never resold a game in my life, so maybe that is the solution. I'll have to consider it the next time we are looking to buy a game.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm unfortunately locked into physical games for the foreseeable future since I signed up for Gamer's Club Unlocked at Best Buy. I had let it lapse because I was buying most PS4/XB1 games digitally. But with Nintendo games rarely ever seeing the kind of sale prices those platforms get, I thought it would be a good investment for the Switch.

I try not to take the Switch out of the dock since I don't want my kids knowing it's a portable, but I have yet to switch out a game without doing so. That stupid cartridge slot confounds me every time.

I'm also still waiting for the kids to lose a cartridge under the couch or have it slide under the entertainment center somewhere. Those things are tiny!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just put the last Switch at Gamestop in the state on hold, picking it up in a few.

Now I need to get Zelda, Mario, and (maybe) Xenoblade.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
stessier

Post by stessier »

If you've got kids - Mario Kart 8 is really fun.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:45 pm Just put the last Switch at Gamestop in the state on hold, picking it up in a few.
Sweet. Cookies are to your left.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Grabbed Mario Odyssey, Zelda, and Xenoblade 2.

As if I didn’t have enough to play already...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I bought my oldest a Switch for Christmas. It was kind of a last minute thing when I decided the youngest was getting the better end of the christmas bargain. I've played a couple co-ops missions with him on Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle and about 15 minutes of Zelda, but for the most part he has been hogging it.

Kingdom Battle is what I was most interested in. It's a bit simplistic for someone who has played XCOM2 through to completion at least 8 times and at the highest difficulty level. He's already played through to the end of Mario Odyssey (not completionist, but story done I guess). I don't know how far he is into Zelda, but he already played a lot of it on the Wii U and he was not bothered at all about having to restart on the switch.

It's cool, but the games aren't there for me. I will keep an eye out for stuff that I would be interesting in playing mobile.

Nintendo went from top to bottom over the generations for me. Thinking back on it, I think it is largely due to my tastes changing and not anything Nintendo was doing. None of their properties do anything for me anymore. I'm going to given Breath of the Wild more time to see if there's anything there for me as that is the most likely suspect. I love open world games.

Nintendo - played and loved most everything - competed with the C64 for my time and often won
SuperNintendo - still pretty hot, split time with the Genesis and the C64
N64 - starting to lose interest and moving to PC gaming and Playstation
Gamecube - didn't buy until years later - the xbox won out big time this generation, though i got a PS2 eventually
Wii - Monster Lab was the only game I played that really interested me. I *loved* that game, but Xbox 360 was home
Wii U - Nothing. Kids liked Splatoon and Melee. I was playing on my PC and Xbox One though I have come to prefer the PS4 over the XB1
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Do indie games appeal to you at all? If so, there's quite a lot of good stuff on the Switch.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:59 pm Do indie games appeal to you at all? If so, there's quite a lot of good stuff on the Switch.
Only very specific stuff, like turn based tactical combat stuff like XCom wannabes and cool puzzly stuff like the Zachtronics games.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I wish you guys could have heard the giggles from the Wonder Twins 4.6 as they were watching me play the new Mario. I don't know how they do it, but there's just something about the Mario games that distills to the pure essence of childhood glee and wonder. It's really quite amazing.

I only played for about 30 minutes, and the handheld was super hot when I took it out of the dock. Is that normal?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Not sure about 'super hot', but yes, you're going to feel heat from the exhaust vent on top after it's been docked. The Switch runs hotter when docked and on shore power.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I also find it gets noticeably warm when playing undocked. A couple times I thought the fan was actually wind blowing in Zelda and I had earbuds in (not tight fitting ones, but still).
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:39 pm
wonderpug wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:59 pm Do indie games appeal to you at all? If so, there's quite a lot of good stuff on the Switch.
Only very specific stuff, like turn based tactical combat stuff like XCom wannabes and cool puzzly stuff like the Zachtronics games.
Have you played Steamworld Heist before? Might be worth considering for your turn-based side.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:14 pm
coopasonic wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:39 pm
Have you played Steamworld Heist before? Might be worth considering for your turn-based side.
I think I had that on my list once but it fell off because I don't like long lists and I don't remember why I add things to lists.

I just ordered a second power cable for the Switch so I can play uninterrupted next week while I am in bed after my surgery.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Alright I think I am about ready to make the plunge for a switch. I originally had a switch pre-ordered but cancelled at the last minute because I already own a Wii U and decided to play Zelda on that instead. But I'm getting the itch to get a switch again. First I have a few questions for those of you who follow closely:

1. What big name games are announced or rumored to be coming out on the horizon now that Mario is out? My favorite games on Nintendo systems are the franchise Nintendo titles. I already own Zelda but honestly would consider buying it again, and Mario will be an instant buy for me. I already own mario Kart too (wii U) but if there is anything unique about it I might buy it again. But what about the other franchise favorites? I don't see that a new super smash has been announced and that would be an instant buy for me. I don't see a metroid or a side scrolling mario game (which have been a huge hit for us). Glancing ahead I see a lot of definitive editions of Wii U games (such as DK tropical freeze, disappointed they aren't doing whole new DK game instead). That's great for everyone who hasn't owned the forgotten console, but I have so... not so excited about those.

2. What exactly do I need to get started? The controllers really confuse me still. So I would be looking to start with Mario, Mario + Rabbids, and that's about it to start. Eventually I would like to play through Skyrim again and even Zelda again, but that will be down the road. Do I need to buy any extra controllers? Should I get a pro controller? Do I need another set of joy cons? It's all rather confusing with this system.

3. Do I need to pick up anything that really takes advantage of the hardware? A game or anything that is actually fun that uses it? For Wii U it was Nintendoland which still got a lot of play even the last few years. Anything that has staying power for groups like that?

I've been looking around and reading but curious to see what people here think. I already own an XB1 so it takes care of my more serious titles, this would be primarily for Nintendo exclusives only, but I love playing those so I don't want to miss out.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

ChuckB wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:15 pm Unfortunately, I think this will pretty much tank - probably comparable to the WII U (taking the success of the WII as a reference point.)

This article sums up the issues very well: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/n ... comments=1

Showing Skyrim (which is over 5y old) to help selling this new console shows that Nintendo has lost focus, IMO. Like one commenter posted: "I can't wait to buy a Switch so I can play Skyrim on my TV... again."
Not picking on you ChuckB because I thought the same as you at this time, but it's fun to go back and read these things now that the Switch is surprisingly doing incredibly well. Just when everyone declares Nintendo dead (yet again) they always pull something out of their hat. Now they are the fastest selling console ever and are out selling the PS4 and Xb1. Gotta give it to Nintendo for pulling this off over and over again. Of course it is still early in the consoles life but it really looks like it is gaining more steam not losing it.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

2. What exactly do I need to get started? The controllers really confuse me still. So I would be looking to start with Mario, Mario + Rabbids, and that's about it to start. Eventually I would like to play through Skyrim again and even Zelda again, but that will be down the road. Do I need to buy any extra controllers? Should I get a pro controller? Do I need another set of joy cons? It's all rather confusing with this system.
The Pro Controller is expensive but really really nice. If you want to save money you can skip it and just use the joy-cons. If you want to be able to support 4 players, a second joy-con pair is a good buy since it allows for another full controller or an additional 2 if you're using them as separate joy-cons.

A tempered glass screen protector is something to consider. I have the Am-Film one, super cheap and super transparent.

If you're going to be playing on the go, a case is a good buy. Also consider a power brick if you want to have long play sessions away from a power outlet. If you're going on a long flight, a stand like this one is nice to have. Holds the screen at a better angle and allows for a power cord to stick out the bottom.

If you have more than one TV you game on and want to go hog-wild, a second dock is pretty nice to have.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:19 pm Alright I think I am about ready to make the plunge for a switch. I originally had a switch pre-ordered but cancelled at the last minute because I already own a Wii U and decided to play Zelda on that instead. But I'm getting the itch to get a switch again. First I have a few questions for those of you who follow closely:
*cracks knuckles*
1. What big name games are announced or rumored to be coming out on the horizon now that Mario is out?
The big current ones are of course MK8 Deluxe, BotW, and Mario Odyssey. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 arguably counts as a big one, though it's less consistent in its quality.

As for MK8 Deluxe, my understanding is it's basically MK8 from Wii U with all the DLC included, plus some small enhancements.
But what about the other franchise favorites?
They haven't said much about a Smash, though I have to believe it's coming. They did tease Metroid Prime 4, so that is definitely on the way, though with no solid idea as to when. They've also mentioned a new Yoshi and Kirby. I have a feeling we'll hear more about these soon, as 2018's first-party release schedule is currently... light. They've got to announce something big for the 2018 holiday season, if nothing else.

The included Joy-Con will handle 1 player for complex games (that require both) and 2 players for less complex stuff (like Mario Kart). Some folks swear by the Pro Controller, but I think the included grip for the Joy-Cons is quite good. If you think you'll ever want 3+ multiplayer, I'd get an extra set of Joy-Cons, but I think very few people need more than 2 sets--especially if you go for a Pro Controller down the line.

Get a screen protector, and a memory card if you plan to buy digital copies of games--there's only 32 GB included, and a bunch of that gets used by the system and saves. I put a 128 GB card in when I found a decent one on Black Friday sale at Amazon. If you plan to take it on the road, get a case.

Other than that, there's not a lot in the way of needed accessories.
3. Do I need to pick up anything that really takes advantage of the hardware? A game or anything that is actually fun that uses it? For Wii U it was Nintendoland which still got a lot of play even the last few years. Anything that has staying power for groups like that?
Snipperclips is great fun, but you can download that. Our go-to party game is currently MK8. The big hardware advantage here is the portability, so pretty much all games take decent advantage of that. I will say that being able to do BotW in any size chunk of time, anywhere, is awesome.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:45 pm
Chrisoc13 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:19 pmBut what about the other franchise favorites?
They haven't said much about a Smash, though I have to believe it's coming. They did tease Metroid Prime 4, so that is definitely on the way, though with no solid idea as to when. They've also mentioned a new Yoshi and Kirby. I have a feeling we'll hear more about these soon, as 2018's first-party release schedule is currently... light. They've got to announce something big for the 2018 holiday season, if nothing else.
In the pipeline (mostly from the recent Nintendo Direct) there's also:
  • Pokemon
  • Mario Tennis
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Ys
  • The World Ends With You (rerelease of the DS version)
  • Dragon Quest Builders (Dragon Quest + Minecraft)
  • Hyrule Warriors (rerelease)
  • Dark Souls 1 remastered
  • Project Octopath Traveller (by Square Enix, demo already out)
  • Fire Emblem
  • No More Heroes
  • Metroid Prime
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

1. What big name games are announced or rumored to be coming out on the horizon now that Mario is out?
There's a new Bayonetta game coming, as well as a bunch of stuff that was announced recently. If you're a JRPG fan at all, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a must, as is the upcoming port of Y's VIII. Both are superb games.

The only accessory I've picked up is a screen protector. I had a case hanging around here from an old portable DVD player, and I just unplug the power cord from the dock when I travel. I actually like the included JoyCon grip (basically functions like a standard controller), and can't really see any need for the Pro controller. Haven't needed anything else.

It has surprised me how much I like the portability factor. I spend as much time playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the handheld while lying in bed as I do on the big screen.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Nintendo Labo. This looks insane, in a good way.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:29 pm Nintendo Labo. This looks insane, in a good way.
Holy shit. :shock:

That just looks...incredible. Bravo Nintendo.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Want. For my kids, of course.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I'm in for everything. Both packs, the sticker kit. I will not be able to resist this.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That was unreal. How did they manage to keep this a secret??
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Holy crap. Wow Nintendo.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Chrisoc13 wrote:Holy crap. Wow Nintendo.
Oh, and you should get a Labo.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Zaxxon wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote:Holy crap. Wow Nintendo.
Oh, and you should get a Labo.
Haha I'm pretty sold on that. Thanks for the advice everyone. Looking to make the plunge eventually.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Hi,

Here are my initial impressions after a week with my new Switch:
(Some background, I play most on my PC and PS4 Pro and I also own a PS Vita, which I haven't used in a while and a new/revised Nintendo 3DS, which I used quite a bit when I traveled a lot. The "traditional" Nintendo games (Mario and similar run & jump games) are not really my cup of tea, as a the more typical Japanese games (such as JRPGs and anything anime-related) but I like open world and stealth games and sport games; I also play a lot of strategy games (mainly turn-based) and like RPGs

I really like the console itself, well built and solid. The controllers are ok, I was concerned since I have pretty huge hands (I'm 6' 7") but it works for me. The screen is really nice and so is the fact that this does not have a fan and (at least for me) doesn't get warm during play. So far I played as a handheld but, somewhat surprising for myself, quite a bit as a console in the dock on my TV (55inch). I really don't see myself using it much as stand-alone with detached controllers, the screen is probably too small for me and this feels more like a gimmick but lets 's see.

I was surprised how "empty" the console feels when you first switch it on. There is literally NOTHING to do without a game. The 3DS felt much more like a mobile entertainment system in that way, with some built-in game, apps, and just general stuff to do out of the box (not necessarily all top entertainment but still). There is not even a simple browser (yes, I know we all have that in our pocket these days). I read somewhere that the Switch is "versatile" - I would disagree. It does ONLY one thing: playing Switch games.
The sound quality of the console itself is surprisingly good; battery could be better (probably around 2-3hrs of playtime) but I guess that's true for every device.
The two biggest issues I have found so far are: (1) no wireless/BT headset supported - seriously, that's a major gaffe in my book for a modern handheld device. Not sure if that's fixable (I guess the Switch doesn't have BT) but maybe someone comes up with a good headset with a tiny USB-C dongle; and (2) no backup of game saves. Has been discussed before. Stupid. Should be easily fixable (and I wonder why this doesn't seem to be at least part of the coming paid online services).

Games:
Zelda - wow, what a great game. Looks beautiful (even on large screen, granted that the resolution is not what the PS4 Pro can produce) but highly polished and very engaging. It's also a very different game in parts - no detailed statistics of everything you have done, long text and complicated backstory, really more like a nice fairy tale. Thought I would like it but didn't expect to like it that much.
Super Mario Odyssey - also pretty good and a good example for a game that simply oozes fun and happiness.
Mario + Rabbids. Haven't played much but looks interesting.
Mario Kart 8. Need to play that one.
Golf Story. Like that one so far.

I'm not at all to play games like Skyrim or Doom on the Switch (I would think my other systems are better at that). I'm not too excited about the upcoming games, it feels more like a trickle than a constant flow but let's see (it's also that a lot of Switch games fall more into a category of games that is not my sweet spot).
I'm actually surprised that there doesn't seem to be any good sport game (wouldn't call Mario Kart one) or classical RPGs (and even JRPGS). I'm also missing strategy games (which is why I bought Mario + Rabbids).
Some of the games I enjoyed on my 3DS were: Fire Emblem - Awakening, Bravely Default, Professor Layton and Monster Hunter 4 and it's somewhat surprising that none of them made it to the Switch so far.

Overall, really like the Switch - more than I thought I would!