Field of Glory II - Turn Based Tactical Ancient Era Combat

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Field of Glory II - Turn Based Tactical Ancient Era Combat

Post by jztemple2 »

Now released on Steam and through Slitherine/Matix Games. Note that if you get it through Steam you cannot use the Slithering match making service. Blurb:
Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC

The game that brought the fun and excitement of the tabletop experience to digital form is back. Developed by legendary designer Richard Bodley Scott in a completely new 3D engine, Field of Glory is ready to set new standards in computer wargaming.

Field of Glory II allows you to fight large or small battles for or against Rome, or between the other nations who are as yet unaware of the Roman threat, or what-if battles between nations that never actual came into conflict historically, but might have done if the course of history had been different.

Take command of a huge variety of armies employing vastly different tactical doctrines. Lead your chosen army and its named generals to victory in set-piece historical battles or "what-if" custom battle situations against an AI or human opponent.

Victory will require determination and tactical mastery!

FEATURES
  • Accurate simulation of Ancient battle in the last three centuries of the pre-Christian era.
  • 86 historically accurate units, built from fully animated 3D troop models, each with many variants. These allow Field of Glory II to represent the full range of troop-types and tactical doctrines that make this era one of the most interesting to wargamers and military historians. To name just a few, there are Roman legionaries before and after the reforms of Marius, Greek hoplite and Carthaginian African spearmen, Hellenistic pike phalanxes, thureophoroi spearmen and xystophoroi lancers, Gallic warbands, Skythian horse archers, Sarmatian lancers, Roman, Carthaginian, Greek and Gallic spear-armed cavalry, war elephants, Celtic and Indian chariots, scythed chariots, a wealth of light troops and many many more.
  • 12 Historical scenarios covering key engagements of the period on an epic scale. These include Bagradas 255 BC, Trebia 218 BC, Cannae 216 BC, Ilipa 206 BC, Zama 202 BC, Magnesia 190 BC, Pydna 168 BC, Chaironeia 86 BC, Tigranocerta 69 BC, Bibracte 58 BC, Carrhae 53 BC and Thapsus 46 BC. The player can play as either side.
  • Custom Battle system allows unlimited “what-if” scenarios using historically realistic armies from carefully researched army lists, on realistic computer generated terrain maps. Armies covered include Romans, Carthaginians, Hellenistic Kingdoms (Macedon, Seleucids, Ptolemaic Egypt etc.), Gauls, Ancient Britons, Galatians, Spanish, Numidians, Spartacus’s Slave Revolt, Thracians, Skythians, Sarmatians, Parthians, Indians and lots more.
  • Campaign mode allows you to rewrite history as you play through the battlefield careers of some of ancient history’s greatest generals, or war with any ancient nation against any other. Each victory increases the experience and elan of your core units. Quick to resolve strategic decisions allow you to go straight from one battle to the next without any delay.
  • Random map generator produces an infinite variety of historically realistic battlefield maps for custom battles and campaigns. Scenarios include open battle, pursuit, awaiting reinforcements, enemy awaiting reinforcements, flank march, rearguard action, advance guard, remove the head, and protect the baggage.
  • Classic turn-based, tile based gameplay.
  • Easy to use interface, hard to master gameplay.
  • Cohort-sized units. Battles can range from a few units to as many as 80 units per side.
  • Named generals who can influence combat and morale of units under their command.
  • Single player and multiplayer battle modes.
  • Effective AI makes sound tactical decisions.
  • 6 difficulty levels allow the challenge to increase as you develop your battlefield skills.
  • Numerous different unit organisations, combat capabilities and tactical doctrines allow full representation of tactical differences and developments through the period.
  • Mod friendly game system with built-in map editor.
  • Multiplayer mode allows historical scenarios and “what-if” scenarios to be played by two players using Slitherine’s easy to use PBEM server.
It is somewhat similar to Pike and Shot : Campaigns and Sengoku Jidai: Mandate of Heaven, but there are some differences. I'm liking it so far.
Last edited by jztemple2 on Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Holman

Re: Field of Glory II - Turn Based Tactical Roman Era Combat

Post by Holman »

What's the scale (units and spaces)? What options and choices are available (besides just movement and positioning) in directing the battle? How are units rated?

I've not done much ancient-world gaming, but I've always been interested in GMT's tabletop Great Battles of History series (e.g. SPQR, the Macedonian Art of War, etc). If you know, how does this system compare to that?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
tgb

Post by tgb »

On my wishlist.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Holman wrote:What's the scale (units and spaces)? What options and choices are available (besides just movement and positioning) in directing the battle? How are units rated?

I've not done much ancient-world gaming, but I've always been interested in GMT's tabletop Great Battles of History series (e.g. SPQR, the Macedonian Art of War, etc). If you know, how does this system compare to that?
I really don't remember the GMT games very well, but if you played any of the Simulations Publications, Inc (SPI) board wargames, the scale feels pretty much like those, tactical with anywhere from a dozen to several dozen units representing each side in a battle. If you look at the screenshots on the Steam page, you can see that each unit is composed of several figures. According to the manual, the standard representational scale has each figure of a unit representing 60 men for cavalry and infantry. Some units have only two or three figures, some have eight. It all feels very much like playing using miniatures, which is nice. If you have more questions you can download the manual and give it a look, and this Slitherine forum thread has links to some videos.

Oh, and I found this in the manual that addresses scale:
29.1. Representational Scales
The representational scale in Field of Glory II is flexible, to allow very large battles to be represented without unmanageable numbers of units on the
battlefield. However, when no numerical adjustment is in use, one infantry or cavalry model on the battlefield represents 60 men, in 4 ranks, so a cohort-sized unit
of 8 models in two ranks represents 480 men in 8 ranks.

When other representational scales are in use, all numbers of men and casualties are scaled accordingly. Battlefield ground scales are based on maximum effective massed-firing bow ranges when the standard representational scale is used. Thus 4 squares represent approximately 240 paces, and each man in a close order formation occupies a frontage of approximately one pace.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

tgb wrote:On my wishlist.
Yeah that's how far I've gotten as well. I owned the first one, and I'm holding off until I get a better idea of how well single player works. Field of Glory was VERY much a multiplayer game.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

tgb wrote:On my wishlist.
Yeah, me too. This popped up on my Steam queue recently and I got quite excited about it until I saw it was Slitherine/Matrix.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Holman

Post by Holman »

jztemple2 wrote:
Holman wrote:What's the scale (units and spaces)? What options and choices are available (besides just movement and positioning) in directing the battle? How are units rated?

I really don't remember the GMT games very well, but if you played any of the Simulations Publications, Inc (SPI) board wargames, the scale feels pretty much like those, tactical with anywhere from a dozen to several dozen units representing each side in a battle. If you look at the screenshots on the Steam page, you can see that each unit is composed of several figures. According to the manual, the standard representational scale has each figure of a unit representing 60 men for cavalry and infantry. Some units have only two or three figures, some have eight. It all feels very much like playing using miniatures, which is nice. If you have more questions you can download the manual and give it a look, and this Slitherine forum thread has links to some videos.

Oh, and I found this in the manual that addresses scale:
29.1. Representational Scales
The representational scale in Field of Glory II is flexible, to allow very large battles to be represented without unmanageable numbers of units on the
battlefield. However, when no numerical adjustment is in use, one infantry or cavalry model on the battlefield represents 60 men, in 4 ranks, so a cohort-sized unit
of 8 models in two ranks represents 480 men in 8 ranks.

When other representational scales are in use, all numbers of men and casualties are scaled accordingly. Battlefield ground scales are based on maximum effective massed-firing bow ranges when the standard representational scale is used. Thus 4 squares represent approximately 240 paces, and each man in a close order formation occupies a frontage of approximately one pace.
Thanks!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Battles look to be of a larger scope than FoG 1. Also I assume there is some kind of strategy and not just random battles.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

If you can't do matchmaking with the people who buy direct with the Steam version, then I would buy direct from Slitherine/Matrix. I used to frequent the forums at Matrix and Wargamer.com a lot in the day and many people over there are notorious for being averse to Steam. Also, apparently the physical version comes with a nice printed manual?

I may get this. It is on the wishlist. For those of you on the fence, are you going for Steam or direct?
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

dbt1949 wrote:Battles look to be of a larger scope than FoG 1. Also I assume there is some kind of strategy and not just random battles.
It has a campaign (you choose any main power), set piece battles (like Cannae), and randomly generated maps.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This looks very interesting. Years ago, there was another ancient TB game, Great Battles of the Ancient World, I think. I really enjoyed it. Had some really close fantastic battles playing as Alexander and/or Caesar. Wish this had an Alexander campaign also.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Grifman wrote:This looks very interesting. Years ago, there was another ancient TB game, Great Battles of the Ancient World, I think. I really enjoyed it. Had some really close fantastic battles playing as Alexander and/or Caesar. Wish this had an Alexander campaign also.
Are you thinking of Great Battles of Alexander / Hannibal / Caesar (it was a series of 3 games, Caesar came with an editor)? They eventually came out with a 3-pack, but I never could get Alexander to work right as it was very hard coded to work only with Windows 95.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

baelthazar wrote:Also, apparently the physical version comes with a nice printed manual?

I may get this. It is on the wishlist. For those of you on the fence, are you going for Steam or direct?
The physical version is the manual. It's a printed hardcover with a pocket in front for the disk.

I got the Steam version since I had a credit. Also apparently I'm mistaken about the MP. Even if you get the Steam version, as long as you have an account on Slitherine, you can participate in MP games. At least I saw that mentioned on the FoGII forum, I've yet to try it myself.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Does the digital download come with an ebook version of the manual?
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Jeff V wrote:Does the digital download come with an ebook version of the manual?
Yes. You can also download the entire manual from the Steam store page right now so you can check it out prior to purchasing. For some odd reason there are two "View the Manual" entries, the full manual is obtained through the top one.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I figured it would be a very long time before this came off my wishlist because $30 is too much just to see if I'd like it and I figured it would take forever to get at a good sale price considering it's Slitherine. Well, that didn't happen and I now have it in my Steam library thanks to a random act of kindness from a stranger. Some nice guy gifted me the game after a brief discussion on the Steam forums today. I'm frankly a bit stunned that people like that exist.

In any case, I'm hoping this is somewhat like a turn based Total War: Rome. That would be pretty damn sweet.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

This game has an enormous number of armies you can play ranging from about 500 BC to about 500 AD. It's kind of mind boggling. Also, when you start the game you can click on the "manual" button on the main menu and it pops the manual up. The presentation is really quite slick. It's easy to see this game is a someone's labor of love.
Field of Glory II Army Lists – Rise of Rome (Alphabetically)

Ancient British 60 BC - 80 AD
Apulian 420-203 BC
Arab 312 BC - 476 AD
Armenian 331 BC - 252 AD
Armenian (Tigranes) 83-69 BC
Atropatene 320-145 BC
Atropatene 144 BC - 226 AD
Bithynian 297-74 BC
Bosporan 348-85 BC
Bosporan 84-11 BC
Bruttian or Lucanian 420-203 BC
Campanian 280-203 BC
Carthaginian 280-263 BC
Carthaginian 262-236 BC
Carthaginian 235-146BC
Carthaginian (Hannibal in Italy) 218-217 BC
Carthaginian (Hannibal in Italy) 216-203 BC
Carthaginian (Hannibal in Africa) 202 BC
Caucasian 320 BC - 476 AD
Dacian 50 BC - 106 AD
Galatian 280-63 BC
Galatian 63-25 BC
Gallic 300-101 BC
Gallic 100-50 BC
Germanic Foot Tribes 105 BC - 259 AD
Graeco-Bactrian 250-130 BC
Greek 280-228 BC
Greek 227-146 BC
Greek (Western) 280-49 BC
Iberian or Colchian 331 BC - 252 AD
Illyrian 350 BC - 25 AD
Indian 500 BC - 319 AD
Indo-Greek 175 BC - 10 AD
Indo-Parthian 60 BC - 130 AD
Indo-Skythian 95 BC - 50 AD
Italian Hill Tribes 490-275 BC
Jewish 167-64 BC
Jewish 64 BC - 6 AD
Kappadokian 260 BC - 17 AD
Kushan 130 BC - 476 AD
Libyan 220 BC - 70 AD
Ligurian 480-145 BC
Macedonian 320-261 BC
Macedonian 260-148 BC
Mountain Indian 492-170 BC
Nabataean 260 BC - 106 AD
Numidian or Moorish 220-56 BC
Numidian or Moorish 55 BC - 6 AD
Parthian 250 BC - 225 AD
Pergamene 262-191 BC
Pergamene 190-129 BC
Pontic 281-111 BC
Pontic 110-85 BC
Pontic 84-47 BC
Ptolemaic 320-167 BC
Ptolemaic 166-56 BC
Ptolemaic 55-30 BC
Pyrrhic 280-272 BC
Rhoxolani 350 BC - 24 AD
Roman 280-220 BC
Roman 219-200 BC
Roman 199-106 BC
Roman 105-25 BC
Saka 300 BC - 50 AD
Samnite 355-272 BC
Sarmatian 350 BC - 24 AD
Scots-Irish 50 BC - 476 AD
Seleucid 320-206 BC
Seleucid 205-167 BC
Seleucid 166-125 BC
Seleucid 124-63 BC
Skythian 300 BC - 50 AD
Slave Revolt 73-71 BC
Spanish 300-10 BC
Spanish (Sertorius) 80-70 BC
Syracusan 280-211 BC
Thracian 350 BC - 46 AD
Umbrian 490-260 BC
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I am SO tempted to get the physical version just because of the manual... :think:
-mf
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Keep us posted as to what you think of the gameplay!
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:09 am I am SO tempted to get the physical version just because of the manual... :think:
If you get the digital version you can order the printed manual for $10 on the Slitherine site.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I enjoy the battles in this series, and I love ancient era combat, but I absolutely hated the campaigns in the last two games.

Might just give it a shot when it's on sale, but without a good campaign I have trouble getting into strategy games.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Sepiche wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:36 pm but I absolutely hated the campaigns in the last two games.
I'm not sure how the campaigns were in the previous games but I found this on how they work in this one:
How does the campaign aspect work in this game? From the description I assume its not modelled on Pike and Shot Campaigns method, eg for ECW Campaign? Sounds more like the original Pike and Shot Historical Scenarios with a bit of decision making and bit of Panzer Corps upgrading in between? The campaign aspect really makes the game for me, interested in that.
Hope this answers your question!

"Campaigns allow you to fight a series of connected battles, with the core of your army progressing from one battle to the next, gaining experience and elan with each victory.
Field of Glory II is really all about the battles. Therefore, instead of having a simplified strategic map with a lot of marching back and forth between battles, which some people do not enjoy, we have decided to cut out the map movement and allow strategic decisions to be made quickly before hopping straight on to the next battle.

Here are some examples of strategic options that may occur in the campaigns.

The enemy are retreating to join up with reinforcements:
1. Pursue them with your advance guard and engage them before they can join up with their reinforcements.
2. Let them escape this time and continue your advance at a steady pace.
You are advancing through enemy territory. Your choice of routes is limited:
1. Advance through wooded territory. You will need to protect your baggage from attack.
2. Advance through mountainous territory. The enemy forces are expected to be assisted by the local mountain tribes.
Your territory has been attacked from an unexpected direction by another enemy army:
1. Fight them with your rear echelon forces. (A new army chosen by the AI from your nation’s army list, weighted towards lower quality troops).
2. March to meet them with your field army. You will not have time to replace your losses from the last battle.
Your territory has been attacked from an unexpected direction by the enemy's Bithynian allies:
1. Fight them with your rear echelon forces.
2. Call in your own Galatian allies to meet them in battle.
You feel you need additional forces in order to progress the campaign:
1. Call in a force from your Bruttian allies.
2. Await reinforcements from home. These are not likely to be as numerous.
The Romans have received help from their Spanish allies, but their armies have not yet joined up. You have the opportunity to defeat one of their armies before they can combine:
1. Engage the Spanish army.
2. Engage the Roman army.

Sandbox Campaigns
These allow you to fight a campaign between any two nations. Their historical allies may join in. Setup is similar to that for Custom Battles.

Armies are chosen from the appropriate army lists (or allied army lists) and the terrain is generated using the regions appropriate to the opposing nations. The player’s core units continue through the campaign gaining experience and elan after each victory

Historically Based Campaigns
The game also comes with four historically-based campaigns, based on the military careers of Pyrrhos of Epeiros, Hannibal, Mithridates VI of Pontus and Julius Caesar.
These still use army lists and generated maps for the battles, but are scripted so that the historical sequence of events is followed, including historical strategic choices. This allows the campaign to follow the historical events in general terms, but ensures that the actual battles will play out differently each time the campaign is played. Essentially each battle represents the battle that might have occurred if (for example) the Battle of Trebia had been fought a few days earlier or later on a different battlefield nearby – but with the historically opposing armies and similar orders of battle.
The campaign system is designed so that it should be quite easy for users to set up historically-based campaigns that can in due course be added to the library of user- created content that can be downloaded within the game. No programming ability is required, all of the campaign scripting is in plain English in a text file."
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

dbemont wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:10 am Keep us posted as to what you think of the gameplay!
Okay, yesterday I played the first tutorial to get used to the game. It's got a really nice tactical battle system that I like a lot.

The tutorial gave me the ancient British forces from 54C fighting the Roman forces of the time.

Enlarge Image

I start the battle in an advantageous position with my general and core foot on a hill, which provides some combat advantages. However the trees up there will disorder my forces unless they are light foot, which mine are not. So I'm going to need to move them forward. The chariots and light cavalry I want to move out to both sides of the map to prepare to flank the Romans if/when they move toward me. I need to move my slingers forward so they can mess up the Roman javelin chuckers before they can mess me up instead. The screenshot is turn one before any moves are made.

Enlarge Image

The first thing I do is move my two groups of slingers up in range. The ones on the right concentrate on the javelins on the far right because I want to hit them on their flank with my chariots. My slingers disorder that unit and I hit them with the chariot unit. Here on turn 2 you can see that they broke and that also caused the Roman cavalry next to them to break and run and are being pursued by my chariot unit. Notice that as they flee they pass my foot unit and present their backs for a flank attack which I take advantage of.

Enlarge Image

Later on turn 2 I have positioned my light cavalry and chariots to hit the flanks of Roman units at the top of the map. I've moved some of my heavy foot forward to engage the Roman foot from the side of the hill, which provides a slight advantage to my troops. I'll need it because these are tough nuts to crack. The other two are engaging their cavalry to the north.

Enlarge Image

At this point on turn 3, the Roman cavalry I engaged has been hit from the flanks and is fleeing off the map, pursued by my units. To the north, his javelin unit is also fleeing off the map. His core legion units are standing firm against flank attacks. They are very tough.

Enlarge Image

But by turn 5, repeated flank attacks have taken their toll and the Romans are disordered and wavering. My chariot breaks the Roman foot unit to the south and it flees.

Enlarge Image

Turn 6 and the rout is on.

Enlarge Image

Victory is ours. A crushing victory with huge Roman losses and light British ones.

Enlarge Image

My impression so far is very positive. The UI is very easy to use with lots of information presented at your fingertips. There are 2 expandable tool menus at the bottom left and right of the screen that present all the options you need and you can select, move, turn, attack and undo movement of units just using the left and right mouse buttons.

The tutorials are well done and present all the information you need to know to play the game and be successful. I think the graphics are great. It's like playing a miniatures board game. The AI seems pretty good, even on the easy tutorial setting.

Overall, so far I'd say this is a keeper. I haven't started a campaign yet so I don't know how that part of the game goes yet. But there's nothing I don't like that I've seen so far. It's very impressive. The only negative is that it costs $30. I can't say it's not worth that though if you love games like this.

The other thing I like is that it apparently has a map editor and you can create your own battles and campaigns.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Steam is doing its big Thanksgiving sale and have opened up voting for their Steam Awards. Maybe this is silly, but I suggest that if you are interested, go to the Steam FoG2 store page and vote for the game, I suggest the The “Cry Havoc And Let Slip The Dogs Of War” Award. Apparently you do not need to have purchased the game through Steam (or at all) to vote.

Voting closes on the morning of Tuesday, November 28th, so don't wait too long.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

However, it won’t let you write a review on a game you don’t own or haven’t played according to their stat tracking.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:03 am However, it won’t let you write a review on a game you don’t own or haven’t played according to their stat tracking.
No, that hasn't seemed to change. I guess by letting everyone with a Steam account vote on any game it levels the playing field a bit between the independent titles and the AAA monsters.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've played about 38 hours so far, which is kind of a surprise for me, since I never got that much into the previous two games of this ilk put out by Slitherine. For those who might be interested, I have posted an AAR of one of my battles here, Battle AAR: Roman 219 - 200 BC versus Apulian 420 - 203 BC
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Great job on the AAR! Way better than mine. :D

This is a game that I feel deserves more love. As a kind of turn based Total War: Rome it's just about perfect for me as far as the battles go. I just wish there was more of a grand strategy layer to the campaign similar to the total war games. I know some like to go straight from battle to battle but I wish there was more in-between battles stuff to do.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Definitely on my Christmas list. There was another similar game years ago, Great Battles of the Ancient World:

https://www.gog.com/game/great_battles_ ... rs_edition

which I really loved. So this looks to be more of the same, with updated graphics. Plus there's an editor I believe and people are already making scenarios for it.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Two new bits of news

Patch 1.1.5 is out.
Field of Glory II v1.1.5
Field of Glory II has been updated once again, bringing new a couple of nice updates you guys have been asking for!

v1.1.5 CHANGE LIST
• In all random map battles (except advance guard and rearguard scenarios), additional sub-generals can be added during deployment (after completing force selection) to make up the total number to 4 for Medium-Very Large battles, and at least 3 for Very Small-Small battles. The addition of a general to a unit creates a new command for group movement purposes – other units can then be switched to this command if desired.
• The AI similarly adds “supernumerary” generals to its own army if the initial deployment has insufficient, but does not alter its group structure.
• Added option in settings screen to turn off Idle Animations. This just turns off the wait animations when units are not doing anything. It does not turn off movement, shooting, combat or ongoing combat animations.
• Added “Pot Luck” terrain option for Custom Battles. (SP & MP). The map type will be chosen using the map set most appropriate to the opposing nations. Where these have different home map sets, the game will use the highest priority map set in the following list (highest to lowest): Tropical, Northern Europe, Mediterranean, Middle East, Steppe, Desert. This is loosely based on the general trend of historical invasions. Where the map set permits different terrain types, Pot Luck maps will be 70% agricultural, 15% hilly, 10% wooded and 5% mountainous.
• Medium Foot “Javelinmen” now called “Irregular Foot”.
• Campaigns: Reduced compulsory garrisons and increased optional garrisons.
• Campaigns: Corrected issue where player army was given too many reinforcement points when choosing option not to pursue with advance guard.
• Fixed bug to cavalry army infantry autodeployment
And the new DLC Immortal Fire is also out. The price seems a bit high at $14.99, but since I still have a lot of content of the vanilla to look at, I might wait a bit.
Play your part in the epic events unfolding during this era, including the conquest of the Lydian Empire (in western Asia Minor) by the expanding Achaemenid Persian Empire, the Persian Wars, in which the Greeks of mainland Greece defeated two Persian invasions, the subsequent wars between the victorious Greek city states, the development of a new military system by Philip II of Macedon, his conquest of Greece, the invasion and conquest of the Persian Empire by his son Alexander the Great, and his campaigns beyond Persia into India.

Experience the wars between Alexander’s generals (the Diadochi) after Alexander’s early death, while Rome was expanding from a single city to controlling most of Italy by 280 BC, and in Sicily Carthage fought a series of wars against Syracuse and the other Sicilian Greek cities for control of the island.
Command either side in any of these conflicts, or explore what-if scenarios – such as what Alexander might have done next if he had not died so young – would he have been able to conquer Carthage and Rome?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Yeah, I think that DLC is too high priced, it's half the cost of the full game. $10 would have been more reasonable IMO. Definitely waiting for a sale to get that, if I get it at all.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Field of Glory II new stunning mod! Are you ready for the Silk Road?
The Silk Road mod has been created by Jomni, the mastermind behind the gem Sengoku Jidai, and it wonderfully integrates China and some of its neighbours into the FoG2 universe!

Fight battles covering the Zhou Dynasty’s (1049 – 256 BC) early expansion against its non-Chinese neighbours. Take the role of the feudal dukes undermining the authority of the court and fight an all-out war for supremacy against each other during the Spring and Autumn Period (770 - 476 BC) and Warring States Period (475 - 221 BC). Lead the Qin state to achieve unification and the formation of the Qin Dynasty (221 - 207 BC). Pacify the wild frontiers in the Han-Xiongnu Wars (133 BC - 91 AD). Venture westward and relive the little-known conflict between the Han Dynasty (206 BC - 220 AD) and the Graeco-Bactrian city state of Ferghana (Dayuan) in the War of the Heavenly Horses (104 – 101 BC). Take the side of nomads and tribes in a war for superiority in the Mongolian steppes and Silk Road trading routes. And if the ruling dynasty has lost the Mandate of Heaven, bring them down with rebellions.

Battles do not have to be historical. What if Alexander’s armies marched into China instead? What if Rome got past the Parthians and set their ambitions further east?

More Chinese armies will be added as the timeline of the game is extended.

The mod can be played with the Immortal Fire DLC, but it is not mandatory. Owners of just the base version of Field of Glory II will be able to play this mod as well, just without the Immortal Fire army lists.

Features:

Custom Battle, Sandbox Campaign, and Multiplayer modules synced with currently available base and DLC armies.
Chinese units and army lists covering the Zhou, Qin, and Early Han Dynasties (1046 BC – 23 AD). More will be added.
Various ethnic groups that inhabit western, north-western China and Mongolia (Xirong, Beidi, Donghu, Xiongnu, Xianbei, Wuhuan, Qiang, and Di).
Chinese and non-Chinese names for commanders.
Many new unit types.

You can download the mod directly from the game, clicking on the “Download community scenarios” button in the upper left side of the Main Menu, Epic Battles or Campaigns screen. To play it, you must select the module “The Silk Road” in the Custom Battles/Campaigns/MP Challenge Skirmish area. (Not the Epic Battles area).
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I just got an email from Matrix offering me 44% off any purchase because I have been a customer 13 years, so check your emails. This is a hugely discount!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

They must hate me. While once upon a time I did get whatever I wanted from them just for the asking, I did buy some, even after I ceased to be a minion of theirs. I wouldn't be surprised though if they don't have my email address, even though it's been my primary since about the time gmail launched.
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Well, I've been playing this a bit lately and I really love it. The TB system is really great though I don't understand all the nuances yet. It's a lot of fun, and sometimes can be quit nail biting. Will you phalanx line hold against the enemy elephants, giving your cavalry time to sweep the enemy flank and start the route? How will your hastati hold up against the enemy phalanx. Will that last gasp cavalry charge break the enemy - or you? And there are already tons' of user created battles and campaigns. I just wish it had a Hall of Fame or Achievements so you could track the history of how you've done. If you love TB games, you ought to take a look at this.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I feel the only thing holding this game back is the price. It's just too high for most folks to buy it. I got it as a gift but if I hadn't, I'd have never bought it at the normal price. $25 would be perfect for a game like this.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I have both Pike & Shot Campaigns and Sengoku Jidai. Other than the difference in eras, is there any reason to get this?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

ColdSteel wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:25 pm I feel the only thing holding this game back is the price. It's just too high for most folks to buy it. I got it as a gift but if I hadn't, I'd have never bought it at the normal price. $25 would be perfect for a game like this.
To each his own but $30 too much for a game that gives you this much gameplay seems misplaced.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

tgb wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:29 pm I have both Pike & Shot Campaigns and Sengoku Jidai. Other than the difference in eras, is there any reason to get this?
Probably not but I think that's a funny question because playing this game now has me interested in those two! :)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Something new drops this week, Field of Glory II "Table Top Mod is Coming"
The player’s base of Field of Glory II has proved to be very creative and willing since the release of the game, and numerous mods have been created over time expanding the original content tremendously.

Today we are proud to announce that the Community Content list will be enriched soon with another promising work of love, the “Tabletop Mod”!

IMPORTANT! This Mod will be released on Wednesday 10th! Be sure to update the game to version 1.1.7 in order to play it properly.

The FoG II 'TT mod' ('TT' = "Tabletop") is a comprehensive mod created created by Paul Adaway for both Field of Glory II (and Immortal Fire although this is not required to use the mod). The TT mod will be made available during 10th January

Paul gives full details below but his 'magnus opus' includes approx. 80 new or modified army lists and in keeping with its miniatures based inspiration many new unit figures e.g. nearly all nations have their own specific pike phalanx, there are amended Greek cavalry, a plethora of new Spanish infantry units and one of my favourites – the Tarantine Light Javelin Horse. In all there are upwards of 140 new or modified unit textures in this mod!
For those of you would like to try this mod but are unsure about its impact on the game, rest assured that Paul has not amended the gameplay, rules or unit capabilities in anyway – its focus is on giving players a wider range of armies to choose from and units to play with
More info here at Matrix Games and the detailed forum posting.