[Sid Meier] Civilization VI

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kraken

Re: [Sid Meier] Civilization VI

Post by Kraken »

Kraken wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:48 pm Well I finally subscribed to it, so I'll activate it for my next game and make up my own mind.
How did I ever get along without this mod? 8-)
abr

Post by abr »

You're welcome. :wink:
Malacheye

Post by Malacheye »

Which mod are you two talking about?

I tried looking over the past few pages of posts and couldnt find the name,

thanks!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Malacheye wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:25 pm Which mod are you two talking about?

I tried looking over the past few pages of posts and couldnt find the name,

thanks!
CQUI (formerly Community Quick (?) User Interface). It's disorienting at first, but really improves the game once you get used to it. Puts a ton of useful information right in front of you.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

What sort of info?
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Oh geez, so much....

The city name bar has little icons for each district they contain, and tiny numbers showing how many turns until they grow and expand.

There's a build queue. The production and buy interfaces are combined on one panel.

Your opponent icons at the top right show their military strength rating and a few other stats, with even more detail available on mouseover.

Terrain highlights for builders show unimproved resources in purple, productive terrain in green, and already-improved or non-productive tiles in red. When you don't have a builder selected, improved resource icons turn transparent to distinguish them from unimproved ones.

Builders and religious units have tiny numbers showing how many charges they have left, so you don't have to select them to see.

You can mouseover a city bar to see which tiles it's working.

Diplomacy screens are redone to cram more info on there -- for example, you can see what resources you are receiving from existing trades. The trade route interface is improved, with a check box to automatically repeat it.

...and so much more. That's just off the top of my head after a few hours of play. Like I said, it's overwhelming the first time you see it, but it's well designed so that it quickly makes sense.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Does playing with mods active negate steam achievements in VI like it does in Beyond Earth?
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Bakhtosh wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:58 pm Does playing with mods active negate steam achievements in VI like it does in Beyond Earth?
Steam says I have unlocked 48/191 achievements, so I'm gonna go with "No." I was using three very minor mods before I added CQUI.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I just have a couple of terrain mos loaded in C:BE and didn't get any achievements, had to go back to the turn before victory and load the game without them to get my new ones. Good to know.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Here's an article from Rock, Paper, Shotgun that's a bit of food for thought... Cree concerns hammer home why Civ needs to reject its own traditions

An excerpt:
The upcoming Rise and Fall expansion for Civ VI introduces several new playable nations, but the introduction of one civ has led to criticism from an unexpected source. Yesterday, Milton Tootoosis, an elected headman-councillor of the Poundmaker Cree Nation, spoke to CBC News about the inclusion of the Saskatchewan First Nation. He acknowledged excitement about the news and noted that historical chief, Poundmaker, is to be portrayed as working to build “a bridge between settlers and First Nations”. But he also voiced a fundamental concern about the portrayal: “It perpetuates this myth that First Nations had similar values that the colonial culture has, and that is one of conquering other peoples and accessing their land.” It’s a concern that cuts to the heart of what Civilization has always been and – I hope – to what it could become.
It's an interesting article.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Thanks for the link. Interesting article.

No doubt Civ looks at the game through western civ's eyes -- the idea of a classical era, a renaissance, etc, that's the European arc of history. For the most part, the game treats all civilizations from all times and places as simply plugging into that history, with various statistical modifiers. Sort of silly, but the point of a mass market game is to entertain mass numbers of people.

If someone were to try to create a similar game about the history of civilizations, but do it more accurately, they would need to wrestle with a lot of underlying historical issues which would be very divisive. Why did the successful civilizations succeed while myriad others failed? Serious historians disagree profoundly. Liberals and conservatives could probably rip each other to shreds over their respective assumptions (and I would bet they would both be more wrong than right). But certainly this Milton Tootoosis is on shaky ground regarding First Nations. They were not morally pure peoples who had existed in idyllic cooperation since the start of time, but rather the winners in an ancient competition among civilizations on this continent. So on what basis did they win out? Military? Government? Cooperation? Effective use of resources? Attractive culture? The answer is undoubtedly just as varied and complex as in Europe or Asia.

But I do like the point that this distinction among major civs, city states, villages, and barbarians in 4000BC is silly. We can be pretty sure that, if we were able to obtain a time machine and take a little field trip to look at these groups, we would be unable to discern which groups of people to place in which categories. Civ could do better with this without harming the entertainment value of the game a bit.
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The basic premise of leading one of X number of Civilizations across 6000+ years means the game is founded upon a farce. One shouldn't expect anything resembling actual history to develop in such a game. Those who try to make it anything more than it's ever been don't seem to get that.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

More practically, I wish the designers would take a cue from GalCiv3 and allow losing AIs to surrender, or add some random mega-events to shake up the world. I'm currently slogging to a domination victory. My military rating is 4x the second-place civ's. Even if all the survivors ganged up on me and played competently -- and they won't and can't -- they wouldn't win. I've got three more capitals to take, the outcome is in zero doubt, and it will take another 2-3 hours to finish.

Since there's no Hall of Fame there's really no reason to even grind all the way to the end, but I'm kinda anal that way. I'm playing the last civ in the list (Victoria), and when I finish this game I will have beaten all of the civs, so I can't quite bring myself to walk away from it even though it's become a chore.

Maybe the expansion will address some of that.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:03 pm Since there's no Hall of Fame there's really no reason to even grind all the way to the end, but I'm kinda anal that way. I'm playing the last civ in the list (Victoria), and when I finish this game I will have beaten all of the civs, so I can't quite bring myself to walk away from it even though it's become a chore.
No disrespect intended, but this is one of the main causes of people not enjoying the game. I've had a ton of fun with Civ 6, but the main exceptions were the handful of times I played until official victory. It's a highly entertaining game, imo, as long as the outcome is in doubt. But when if one is compulsive about playing out a clear victory, it becomes an unpleasant chore.

Practical tip for anyone having difficulty with this... When you are way ahead and bored, walk away from the computer, get a cup of coffee. Then ask yourself whether you'd rather continue the game, or start a new one. :)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'd do that this time if not for the "finishing the game" factor. Once I win as Victoria I intend to either retire until the expansion comes out, or go back and replay some of my favorite civs on higher difficulty, or maybe add some player-created civs.

The game would be better if the AI recognized when it was beaten and reacted in some appropriate way. This could be a way to introduce some of the concepts that Tootoosis was thinking of, or at least steal a page from GalCiv3. Also, it needs a Hall of Fame. Have I ever mentioned that? :P
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:03 pm More practically, I wish the designers would take a cue from GalCiv3 and allow losing AIs to surrender, or add some random mega-events to shake up the world. I'm currently slogging to a domination victory. My military rating is 4x the second-place civ's. Even if all the survivors ganged up on me and played competently -- and they won't and can't -- they wouldn't win. I've got three more capitals to take, the outcome is in zero doubt, and it will take another 2-3 hours to finish.

Since there's no Hall of Fame there's really no reason to even grind all the way to the end, but I'm kinda anal that way. I'm playing the last civ in the list (Victoria), and when I finish this game I will have beaten all of the civs, so I can't quite bring myself to walk away from it even though it's become a chore.

Maybe the expansion will address some of that.
I was under the impression that the expansion was going to address exactly that. Emergencies. I can't say it will work though.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:45 pm or maybe add some player-created civs.
If you go that direction, I highly recommend the ones by Sukritact. Interesting, original, and well balanced.

I also recommend the Military Doctrines mod, which replaces the promotion system with something that the AI can use more effectively.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:03 pm
I just bought 3 more and I'm playing the Nubians now.
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:55 pm
Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:03 pm
I just bought 3 more and I'm playing the Nubians now.
I do like the Nubians. Double XP on missile units is pretty nice!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New article on PCGamesN, Civ 6: Rise and Fall: release date, new civs, Golden Ages, Governors - everything we know
Civ VI's first big expansion, Rise and Fall, has been announced. We know quite a lot already, but as Firaxis's marketing campaign gets under way, you can bet that more details about the new civs will trickle out. Think of this article like a bucket, catching those drips: this is where you'll find all the latest about Rise and Fall, all in one handy place.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Your performance is measured by your Era Score - you need to hit a certain threshold to trigger a Golden Age, or fall beneath the requirement for a normal age to find yourself in a Dark Age. There are three sources of Era Score that we know of: your place in the tech and civics trees relative to the Era, Historic Moments, and your Age Dedication.
And yet no HoF :?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

New to Civ VI (playing on the iPad port). Just finished up my first game last night playing as Teddy Roosevelt. Really enjoyed it (finished with a Science Victory around 2012), but one thing I found frustrating in the extreme: National Parks. :x

I tried to build one on two different sites, both of which I thought fulfilled all the requirements: (1) vertical diamond of 4 hexes, (2) all owned by one city; (3) all with appeal of charming or above of mountains or Natural Wonders; and (4) no improvements.

What am I missing? In both cases, I had to clear some improvements off one of the tiles, but after my builder did his work, the tile met all the requirements, unless it's that you can never have improved the land to begin with.

Teddy wanted his national parks. He was not pleased. :(
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kurth wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:34 pm unless it's that you can never have improved the land to begin with.
This is my memory but it's been a long time. I had problems with both national parks and resorts or whatever they call the beachside districts at first. They just weren't clear to me. Also, I seem to recall the diamond had to be vertical and not horizontal (if that makes sense. It has to be a tall diamond and not a wide diamond, I think.)

edit... tall like this

Enlarge Image
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I had the vertical diamond layout, so my only thought is that I was trying to build the National Park on land that had previously been improved by a builder. Strange that even after I cleared off the improvements (and even harvested the underlying resources - rice in this instance) I still couldn't build the Park. Oh well. We'll see what happens on my next play through, which I plan to start tonight.

Haven't been this addicted to a Civ game since Civ I. Definitely has the "one more turn" hooks in me.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbemont wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:21 pm
If you go that direction, I highly recommend the ones by Sukritact. Interesting, original, and well balanced.

I also recommend the Military Doctrines mod, which replaces the promotion system with something that the AI can use more effectively.
I couldn't' find Military Doctrines searching the Workshop. Is it called something else?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

dbemont wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:21 pm
Thanks for mentioning this, I now have him (her? it?) as a followed user.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

The expansion comes out on Thursday. I have it pre-ordered. Civ is one of my favorite games of all-time and I have close to 400 hours in 6. The early game is great in 6, but the middle and late game aren't as fleshed out. And that is what the new expansion is focused on in my opinion, so I'm really looking forward to it... Governors, loyalty, new ages, and emergency events. I think Scotland will be my first new civ to try out.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

So...sell me on this xpac...some of the features seem hohum for me.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I look forward to reading impressions. Myself, I'll wait for the first patch.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Can't really sell it much without playing it, but my interests are Loyalty, new age mechanics, and the new civs. Loyalty can flip cities and become free cities. Free cities can be taken by anyone or stay neutral. Loyalty bombs! :)

New ages add goals to hit during each era that affect your score. At the end of each era, your score will trigger a specific age (dark age, golden age, etc.. ). I think the dark age adds new civil policies.

Emergency events seem cool, but there's only five of them. It'll be interesting if the events trigger in every game or are extremely rare. Hope they play out well and more are added in the future. Five seems light to me. Need to see how they work though.

Ultimately it adds to things to do and track, which lacked in the middle and later stages.
Last edited by Torfish on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Let us know about the AI, too.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

This does a really nice job spelling out the new features:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ ... ad.624895/

If you want to know whether you will enjoy this, I suggest you ask where you fall on this spectrum. At one end, you have the Computerized Board Gamers, who picture this as a game against opponents who are playing the same game you are. They are supposed to play competently, following the rules you follow. They should be able to plan and fight a war. And given that it is a competitive game, it is to be played to the end, and better be interesting all the way to the end.

At the other end, you have the RPG in a Strategy Package Gamers, who picture themselves as working to build a secure nation, a mighty nation, while overcoming all sorts of obstacles. These obstacles take many forms -- terrain, neighbors, resources, and so on. But what these gamers are looking for is interesting problems with interesting options as to addressing those problems. The other civs are roughly equivalent to NPCs and monsters in an RPG -- they may be useful, and they may be detrimental, but they aren't expected to play the game you are playing, certainly not in a competent way.

I have watched the developers' videos and read through the new features, and I see little here for the former type of gamers. But for the latter group, I see all kinds of improvements, not the least of which is that many of the new features are going to get used in myriad interesting ways by modders in the weeks ahead.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

dbemont wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:23 pm

At the other end, you have the RPG in a Strategy Package Gamers, who picture themselves as working to build a secure nation, a mighty nation, while overcoming all sorts of obstacles. These obstacles take many forms -- terrain, neighbors, resources, and so on. But what these gamers are looking for is interesting problems with interesting options as to addressing those problems. The other civs are roughly equivalent to NPCs and monsters in an RPG -- they may be useful, and they may be detrimental, but they aren't expected to play the game you are playing, certainly not in a competent way.

I have watched the developers' videos and read through the new features, and I see little here for the former type of gamers. But for the latter group, I see all kinds of improvements, not the least of which is that many of the new features are going to get used in myriad interesting ways by modders in the weeks ahead.
Do you work for Firaxis? Because that was an awesome spin job to crap'splain away the AI issues. I haven't seen much discussion on AI improvements, and adding new mechanisms when they haven't been able to manage the old mechanisms is certainly the direction to making other Civ's the simple speedbumps you described above.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

dbemont wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:23 pm This does a really nice job spelling out the new features:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ ... ad.624895/

If you want to know whether you will enjoy this, I suggest you ask where you fall on this spectrum. At one end, you have the Computerized Board Gamers, who picture this as a game against opponents who are playing the same game you are. They are supposed to play competently, following the rules you follow. They should be able to plan and fight a war. And given that it is a competitive game, it is to be played to the end, and better be interesting all the way to the end.

thanks for the explanation. In a nutshell my biggest complaint against the game is that it feels small and I bump into the other civs way too fast, even if i set capitals at 19 hexes away via modding and other stuff. Honestly I dont like seeing other civs till at least 100 turns in. I am not overly sold on the districts, i think the inflation of newer cities building a district scales too quickly. I think it gets really hard to build up the districts, then whats the point of making new cities? Love the great people change though. Think that's awesome. Will keep an eye on this for impressions.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Newcastle wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:44 pm thanks for the explanation. In a nutshell my biggest complaint against the game is that it feels small and I bump into the other civs way too fast, even if i set capitals at 19 hexes away via modding and other stuff. Honestly I dont like seeing other civs till at least 100 turns in. I am not overly sold on the districts, i think the inflation of newer cities building a district scales too quickly. I think it gets really hard to build up the districts, then whats the point of making new cities? Love the great people change though. Think that's awesome. Will keep an eye on this for impressions.
Interesting, a new patch came out today and the first line in the patch notes might address a little of your complaint.

ENHANCEMENTS
Rework start position algorithm to spread major powers evenly across the map first and then insert city-states in the margins. Results in improved distances between Civilizations and better quality for major civ start positions.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Freyland wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:42 pm

Do you work for Firaxis? Because that was an awesome spin job to crap'splain away the AI issues. I haven't seen much discussion on AI improvements, and adding new mechanisms when they haven't been able to manage the old mechanisms is certainly the direction to making other Civ's the simple speedbumps you described above.
What can I say? I could list a dozen really annoying specifics about this game, but I have a great time playing it, and I expect that I'll have a great time with this expansion, too. Doesn't bother me that lots of other people don't like it, tastes vary, what the heck. But it mystifies me the hostility towards the game and anyone who does find it fun. Just to pick one example, I was totally disappointed in what Offworld Trading Company turned out to be, the choices that they made. But I can't imagine going off on anyone for posting what they do like about the game.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Freyland wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:42 pm

Disagree with getting on him like that. Not everyone plays the way you do, and not everyone (me for one) cares much about the AI competency.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Many games artificially bump up computer players by having them collude against the human. Prior Civs did this, and that's not fun. It would be nice though if the AI can, early in the game, based on starting position and racial traits start optimizing its play for a specific victory type. It needs to learn tricks like bringing all traders to a city to maximize production when building wonders...and build more than just ancient era wonders. This is especially useful rushing the space race projects.

But I also don't want an AI so recklessly aggressive that I spent all my time fighting off invasions and falling behind developing my Civ. Those games usually get abandon prematurely.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I play Civ like a city builder as described above. I don't play against hyper aggressive leaders but of course I have some military to keep out the riff raff, but I like the alternative win conditions.
Black Lives Matter
Arnir
Location: Right here. No, a bit left. A bit up. Okay, close enough. Texas.

Post by Arnir »

Just an FYI for anyone getting Rise and Fall. I just installed it and could not get any game to start. I set one up and then told to wait only to be dumped back to the game menu.Then my brain kicked in and I disabled all non-Firaxis mods. Then the game fired up without any problems. I did not experiment to see if there was one particular problem mod. So, if you have any problems starting a new game, check out your mods. I've only played 5 turns so far so no observations yet.
Blast from the past:Currently playing: Civ 4, HoI 3 (or at least trying to). Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4ghz, PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB, 4GB system ram, Vista 64.
Chaosraven's D&D Party 2: Arthur Leadwyrm (now game 1) For your GPS PoI needs
"She needed a green card; I wanted a man card."