The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

noxiousdog

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by noxiousdog »

Octavious wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:06 pm Yup they closed the Sam's club by me this morning. Good thing I signed up for a membership like 3 months ago and that there isn't another store for 30 miles. They better give me my darn money back. Well part of it at least. :evil:
They have said they are refunding memberships at affected locations.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

noxiousdog wrote:
Octavious wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:06 pm Yup they closed the Sam's club by me this morning. Good thing I signed up for a membership like 3 months ago and that there isn't another store for 30 miles. They better give me my darn money back. Well part of it at least. :evil:
They have said they are refunding memberships at affected locations.
Good luck getting in to get one. :ninja:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Trump is certainly a moron, but I generally try to avoid the name calling and mocking trend. I find that it takes attention away from the real issues. When I comment, here, elsewhere, or real life on some actual, dangerous Trump issue, I don't want to have the people I know just tune me out as blindly anti-Trump.

Kind of like the way we do as soon as someone uses "Crooked Hillary" seriously.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:15 pm Well, it finally happened. They put Trump's portrait up at the SEC's building entrance. I guess it was bound to happen eventually, but they could have at least given everyone a trigger warning first.
A wanted, dead or alive poster?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:57 pm Trump is certainly a moron, but I generally try to avoid the name calling and mocking trend.
But sometimes, he deserves to be mocked. Like when he calls Haiti and multiple African nations "shithole countries" during a meeting on immigration reform.
President Trump grew frustrated with lawmakers Thursday in the Oval Office when they floated restoring protections for immigrants from Haiti, El Salvador and African countries as part of a bipartisan immigration deal, according to two people briefed on the meeting.

“Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?” Trump said, according to these people, referring to African countries and Haiti. He then suggested that the United States should instead bring more people from countries like Norway, whose prime minister he met Wednesday.

The comments left lawmakers taken aback, according to people familiar with their reactions. Sens. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) and Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.) proposed cutting the visa lottery program by 50 percent and prioritizing countries already in the system, a White House official said.
Hell, they probably think the same about us at this point.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Enlarge Image

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

And the White House just put out a statement with no denial that it was said.

Jesus H Christ.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I seriously want to know how Trump supporters (and more importantly, the GOP) can continue to defend this.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

YellowKing wrote:I seriously want to know how Trump supporters (and more importantly, the GOP) can continue to defend this.
Because they're fucking disgusting, just like Herr Trump?
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:48 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:43 pm I have no idea where to put this. Someone on one of the R&P threads mentioned a book recently that they said was an excellent explanation of "how we got here". 500 something? Mentioned religious roots and how we as a people are easily duped, etc. I'm trying to find the title.

Thanks
Kurt Anderson's Fantasyland.
That's it, thanks. My wife started reading "Hillbilly Elegy" which touches on a lot of the same subject matter.

"From a former marine and Yale Law School graduate, a probing look at the struggles of America’s white working class through the author’s own story of growing up in a poor Rust Belt town.

Hillbilly Elegy is a passionate and personal analysis of a culture in crisis—that of poor, white Americans. The disintegration of this group, a process that has been slowly occurring now for over forty years, has been reported with growing frequency and alarm, but has never before been written about as searingly from the inside. In HillbillyElegy, J.D. Vance tells the true story of what a social, regional, and class decline feels like when you were born with it hanging around your neck."
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:47 pm I seriously want to know how Trump supporters (and more importantly, the GOP) can continue to defend this.
Because they agree, and would say the same things?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Norway? More like Snoreway!

Anyway, keep on tweeting. The courts need the documentation.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:25 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:57 pm Trump is certainly a moron, but I generally try to avoid the name calling and mocking trend.
But sometimes, he deserves to be mocked. Like when he calls Haiti and multiple African nations "shithole countries" during a meeting on immigration reform.
Absolutely, and I will continue to mock him for his actions and policies. I will still steer away from what his name rhymes with or his skin tone. It just makes people that don't already agree with me stop listening.

And I can say with surety that a great many (far from all, not even close to a majority, but some) of the Trump followers who still support him do so because they either get their news from limited sources, or don't understand what some of it actually means. Those people are the ones who can still be persuaded, slim chance or not, and opening with 'The mangerine trumpster fire" ensures they will discount whatever comes after.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:57 pm Trump is certainly a moron, but I generally try to avoid the name calling and mocking trend. I find that it takes attention away from the real issues. When I comment, here, elsewhere, or real life on some actual, dangerous Trump issue, I don't want to have the people I know just tune me out as blindly anti-Trump.

That is a very good point. Noted.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:57 pm Trump is certainly a moron, but I generally try to avoid the name calling and mocking trend. I find that it takes attention away from the real issues. When I comment, here, elsewhere, or real life on some actual, dangerous Trump issue, I don't want to have the people I know just tune me out as blindly anti-Trump.

Same here. If you call him Drumpf or tRump or the orangutan or whatever, you can have your fun lobbing spitballs, but you have zero chance of being taken seriously by the other side (or even a neutral party, if such still exist). If you observe the bare courtesy of using his proper name, you might have a 0.1% chance of getting your point across.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:50 pm

Same here. If you call him Drumpf or tRump or the orangutan or whatever, you can have your fun lobbing spitballs, but you have zero chance of being taken seriously by the other side (or even a neutral party, if such still exist). If you observe the bare courtesy of using his proper name, you might have a 0.1% chance of getting your point across.
Agreed. I've been trying to be better about that.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Who are we trying to be taken seriously by?

If we are taken seriously by whoever you name, what happens?

I mean, really. We don't make fun of him to convince anyone. It should self evident. It's not like he hides his ineptitude.

Refusing to give him even a modicum of respect is cathartic, and, quite frankly, illustrates how low an opinion he has earned.

Next time I'm testifying before Congress I'll consider a more professional approach to my criticism. Until then, I'll give him all the consideration he has earned.

You've elected a 2 bit conman with ties to foreign organized crime to the highest office in the land. He doesn't deserve more reasoned criticism, he deserves less because of who he is and the office he holds.

Running him out of town on a rail is more respectful than he deserves.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:50 pm

Courtesy is important in these stressful times. It's what keeps us better than them. Courtesy: Trump is an orange bag of bullshit.

Courtesy.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:16 pm Who are we trying to be taken seriously by?
It isn't about being taken seriously. It's about not being pigeonholed as 'Oh, he's one of those' when discussing it. There actually are people I encounter that still listen. They just rarely have the opportunity to hear anything that doesn't come through specific sources that are named after an omnivorous mammal.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:47 pm I seriously want to know how Trump supporters (and more importantly, the GOP) can continue to defend this.
They don't defend it. They mouth words of disdain and condemnation, but move on. This is their modus operandi. They need Trump so they continue to work with him despite how bad he is as a person and president. The ends (Republican programs) justify the means.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Holman

Post by Holman »

I hate Trump like I've hated no American politician, but it's true that we have to be able to reach across the lines eventually.

The time will come when we'll need to at least believe that some Trumpkins can be persuaded by evidence of crime. That evidence will be stronger if it isn't obscured by insults and obviously partisan flag-waving.

Saving the Republic isn't going to feel like winning an election or the Super Bowl. It's going to be more like salvaging a shipwreck.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

OK, that's funny. :lol:

"Shithole Country" would be a good Sirius/XM station
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As the patron saint of corruption (allegedly), of course Trump wants to bring back the earmark system:
“Our system lends itself to not getting things done, and I hear so much about earmarks — the old earmark system — how there was a great friendliness when you had earmarks,” Mr. Trump said Tuesday. “Maybe all of you should start thinking about going back to a form of earmarks.”
Maybe next year, maybe no go
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Another $2000 for Mr. Jennings.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Holman

Post by Holman »

link
Thank you Adam Levine, The Federalist, in interview on @foxandfriends “Donald Trump is the greatest President our Country has ever seen.”
What kind of a lunatic, even if he were flattered and grateful, would ever quote this about himself??
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

A Grade A narcissist.
Hodor.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:16 pm Who are we trying to be taken seriously by?
It isn't about being taken seriously. It's about not being pigeonholed as 'Oh, he's one of those' when discussing it.
So it's not about being taken seriously, but it's about not being pigeonholed. I'm struggling to see the difference.

In any case, there's no one left here that will pigeon hole you. Unless you are thinking about getting Rip or Em2 to change sides? I mean, good luck to you and all that, but I think it'll take more than no name calling to get those 2 to move.

I get that some people don't want to descend into childish name calling, but since no one is making you do it, it hardly seems to be a problem.

If you don't like that people call Drumpf names, well, we all have to live with things we don't like.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Why is it that I am struggling to remember all the times a major *very profitable* company shut down dozens of stores suddenly and without warning.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ok, fine. I suppose it doesn't apply on OO. I still prefer not to set myself into the habit for when it does.

Just for the sake of camaraderie, though, Trump is a big orange poopy head.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm to the point now where I'm not up for "reaching across the aisle." If people who still support Trump want to move up to the grown-ups table where non-racist people eat, then we can talk.

And if that sounds condescending and upsets them, then who's the real snowflake? :P
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:17 pm Ok, fine. I suppose it doesn't apply on OO. I still prefer not to set myself into the habit for when it does.

You can comport yourself however you like, obviously.

As I said, I would probably change my tone if I were actually trying to have a serious debate about his merits/demerits with people who were not necessarily like minded.

In the meantime, I'm going to vent my spleen every time bile builds up, which is incredibly often. Because he's a poopy head in charge of the free world. If he were head of the PTA we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I refuse to legitimize him in any way.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:24 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:17 pm Ok, fine. I suppose it doesn't apply on OO. I still prefer not to set myself into the habit for when it does.

You can comport yourself however you like, obviously.

As I said, I would probably change my tone if I were actually trying to have a serious debate about his merits/demerits with people who were not necessarily like minded.

In the meantime, I'm going to vent my spleen every time bile builds up, which is incredibly often. Because he's a poopy head in charge of the free world. If he were head of the PTA we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I refuse to legitimize him in any way.
Dammit. Now I've been converted by Greengoos's intriguing idea on the matter (no newsletter, though, please).

Since you've both put my brain in a quandary, I will have to split the middle, blame Trump for this, and call it a night. *click*
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Slip or not lets be fair and honest...he has no idea what a F-35 or F-52 or B-52 is.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:17 pm
Because they agree, and would say the same things?
Yep. At least, that’s how it’s being perceived in the White House:
A White House official told CNN the President's "shithole" remark is being received much differently inside of the White House than it is outside. The official said that although this might enrage Washington, staffers predict the comment would resonate with Trump's base, similarly to how Trump's attacks on NFL players kneeling during the National Anthem did.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Deplorable.

The glove fits.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:09 am Deplorable.

The glove fits.
Absolutely, and we knew this when she said it. The problem is, just like internet trolls/4chan, shitty people love to be called shitty (it means they are pissing people off, which is the whole point), especially if they have a chance to shit on you. Welcome to election 2016.

The problem is that regular ol' non-shitty republicans got their back up too, because there was no way to differentiate who she was calling deplorable, specifically. So EVERYONE took offense to the comment. It was just shitty politics to call a spade a spade instead of a shovel when it would be misinterpreted (intentionally or not) by anyone who identified as a non-democrat.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

He's clearly the president of just 35% of us, and that's all he needs as long as the other 30% who don't give a shit keep withholding their shits.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Old Trumpy Boy lashed out at the sale of the US embassy in Britain and the location and cost of the new one. He quickly pounced on Obama for this terrible decision. Will he cut the ribbon on the new one..he says "NO!" he wont.

Not sure when his cronies will tell him it was Bush that sold it it due to the inability to secure it safely.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01 ... cancelled/
He wrote: "Reason I cancelled my trip to London is that I am not a big fan of the Obama Administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for 'peanuts', only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars. Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO!"
I think his diapy needs changing. Its been on his head too long and is becoming loose and may let in oxygen any moment now.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:20 pm I'm to the point now where I'm not up for "reaching across the aisle." If people who still support Trump want to move up to the grown-ups table where non-racist people eat, then we can talk.

And if that sounds condescending and upsets them, then who's the real snowflake? :P
This is my feel. The man is an abomination. A man with a 'shithole' of a soul. I don't particularly care what people who support him feel. They are in the wrong. If I talk about him with people who support him, I don't call him a 'fucking moron' or something vulgar because that is rude to the person themselves. That said I don't hold back. If I'm going to express myself about him, I stand up for my standards and he is very far beneath my standards as a human being much less President.
Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:43 am Old Trumpy Boy lashed out at the sale of the US embassy in Britain and the location and cost of the new one. He quickly pounced on Obama for this terrible decision. Will he cut the ribbon on the new one..he says "NO!" he wont.

Not sure when his cronies will tell him it was Bush that sold it it due to the inability to secure it safely.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01 ... cancelled/
He wrote: "Reason I cancelled my trip to London is that I am not a big fan of the Obama Administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for 'peanuts', only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars. Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO!"
I'm sure that the very likely possibility he would have faced incredibly visible protests in the home of our 'special partnership' had no part here. That he took it as another opportunity to falsely lay the blame on Obama is a bonus likely aimed at his racist base.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump just issued a weaselly sort of half-denial.
The language used by me at the DACA meeting was tough, but this was not the language used. What was really tough was the outlandish proposal made - a big setback for DACA!
There were many witnesses. When the quote came out yesterday, no one (not even the WH in its statement) denied it.